• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies for NDS

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Players: 1-4 through local wireless
Release: July 11 2010 US
Wifi Connectivity:
~In game online store updated daily with rare items.
~Downloadable Quests

Features:

~Story Mode with multiplayer support.

~Return of the Job Class System from DQ VII with many features such as learning skills which can be carried over to other job classes to create your ultimate customized band of warriors.

~Extensive character customization. All weapons, armor, and accesories visibly change your party members appearances.

~Alchemy makes a return, along with a ridiculous amount of items to collect, use, and synthesize into new items and equipment for your party.

~As with Dragon Quest VIII, random battles are not a problem in this sequel, as all enemies are visible on the overworld screen. This allows you to pick and choose your battles or hunt specific monsters for their gold, experience, or item drops.

~Extensive amount of side quests for you to complete and earn rewards like items and weapons. Quest downloads over Wifi as mentioned above.

Discuss!

Note: If I missed anything please let me know and I will add it into this post.

Zerokku

Nonstop Breeder
So far I've been loving the hell out of this game. RPG of the year. Mass Effect 2 is close, but theres just something about this. Was the perfect rpg after the disappointment that was Final Fantasy XIII.

Satoshi_poketo monsta

Home-Made Trainer.
So far I've been loving the hell out of this game. RPG of the year. Mass Effect 2 is close, but theres just something about this. Was the perfect rpg after the disappointment that was Final Fantasy XIII.

Final Fantasy XIII eh? FF FF FF FF FF. Okay I got upset. FF versus XIII is take way too long to release.

Unfortunately Dragon Quest IX isn't released in Australia until August 19th, I could have imported from the US but I'm not in a state where I can't bare waiting. Once the title is released locally it will be a day one purchase for me.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I was almost thinking of getting this but I got dragon quest 5 in january and I barely played that so I don't think so.

abraxas

Words.
Well, in all truth, I've never been a fan of the DQ games, other than the branch off, DQM. I have only played one other DQ game, and I can't recall which one, but I did not enjoy it, which makes it odd that I even bothered to pick up a copy of this game. That said, I'm not totally thrilled with it, but it has been rather decent, I must say. I enjoy the ability to pick and choose which monsters to fight, and the bosses are actually kind of cool in terms of looks, though I've yet to find one that presents a real challenge.
It's not the greatest game I've ever played, but it does do well in passing the time. It's decent, playable, but I wouldn't buy it right off the bat, but maybe rent it.

Wat.
Horrid. Terrible story. It's sheerly a grind fest. I like the battle system, but just how much of a grindfest this game is ruins it. Seriously, if not for the grinding, this would be a 5 hour game.

Maetch

I'm not really a fan of Dragon Warrior/Quest. It just always feels so sluggish compared to Final Fantasy's faster pace. I blame the constant emphasis on level-grinding. FF has a much nicer level curve, meaning less time fighting imps for level ups and more time getting into the action.

That said, I did like the Loto/Erdrick Trilogy of the first three games. The first game formed the story, the second continued it, and the third explained it. And all without a single cutscene. (Beat THAT, FF!)

LugiaSoul

You can't stop me
Wow, some people really hate this game. I just bought it today and it's great! I'm getting sick of my SoulSilver so I decided to spend a little money on something that looks good. Yes, it is true that there will be a lot of level-grinding ahead for me, but this is only my second DQ game. My first was DQM Joker. I have like 2 hours of play on Dragon Quest 9 now and I'm not bored lol.

Wat.
Wow, some people really hate this game. I just bought it today and it's great! I'm getting sick of my SoulSilver so I decided to spend a little money on something that looks good. Yes, it is true that there will be a lot of level-grinding ahead for me, but this is only my second DQ game. My first was DQM Joker. I have like 2 hours of play on Dragon Quest 9 now and I'm not bored lol.

The first few hours are oddly enough the fastest paced. Also, once you get allies, don't choose minstrels because changing classes resets thier levels to 1, which just makes it even more of a grind fest than it already is.

LugiaSoul

You can't stop me
Right now I am a minstrel and waiting for the dude to come back to his palace so I can change to a warrior....I also have a warrior partner, and am thinking about making a mage and a priest.

Raging Ghost

Red Dragon Archfiend
Right now I am a minstrel and waiting for the dude to come back to his palace so I can change to a warrior....I also have a warrior partner, and am thinking about making a mage and a priest.

I thought you choose your class at a certain moment. Right?

swimteam09

"Vas up!I'm Bruno!"
I thought about getting it, but seeing as how big the multiplayer aspect is in it,I doubt I will have anyone near bye to play it with, so it's a no go for me.

Raging Ghost

Red Dragon Archfiend

Where you can switch classes? I know you have to go to the Alltrades Abbey (is it a person or a building?), but where is it/he precisely?

Last edited:

Wat.
Where you can switch classes? I know you have to go to the Alltrades Abbey (is it a person or a building?), but where is it/he precisely?

It takes a while. Basically, you need to
Get on the train, this happens after finishing the events in coffinwell. From here it will be clear what to do to get to alltrades abbey. Go to alltrades abbey, talk to some people, and they'll tell you Jack of Alltrades (c wat they did der?) went off to some tower. Get to the top of the tower, fight the boss (who is somewhat tough btw) and then return to Alltrades Abbey. Talk to Jack a few times in a row and he'll let you change class.

Raging Ghost

Red Dragon Archfiend
It takes a while. Basically, you need to
Get on the train, this happens after finishing the events in coffinwell. From here it will be clear what to do to get to alltrades abbey. Go to alltrades abbey, talk to some people, and they'll tell you Jack of Alltrades (c wat they did der?) went off to some tower. Get to the top of the tower, fight the boss (who is somewhat tough btw) and then return to Alltrades Abbey. Talk to Jack a few times in a row and he'll let you change class.

Thanks. Anyway, is it worth it to upgrade a Priest into a Paladin?

LilPrinnyDood

Flat chest huh?
Thanks. Anyway, is it worth it to upgrade a Priest into a Paladin?
Yes in fact unless you value the portable church aspect thats really the only purpose to a priests skillset. They boost your magical mending by 160 when you master them. Only trouble is paladin isn't really worth the idiotic quest needed to get it. Its a low attack wall that heals. However he is essential to power leveling teammates on liquid metal slimes, which dish out an enormous amount exp (40,000), they have a skill that lets you guard your whole team.

With that said I wouldn't bother leveling a priest until you pass him/her some attack power. The minstrel learns decent healing magic so stick with that or if your good use a thief since they make getting drops alot easier and learn heal.

sidenote: Anyone who says this game is bad because its a grindfest is a moron (not gonna mention any names) The flow of the gameplay/leveling is smoother then almost any rpg in existance. It tells you when you to move onto the next area because the monsters run away from you, you pick your battles. Secondly 5 hours of gameplay? Why because they don't jam pack every story sequence with text and over explain everything? The amount of content in this game adds up to at least 160 hours of gameplay if you complete both storys get at least one team of 4 to master 2 weapons and all basic jobs (about 40-70 hrs depending on effecient you are), make even half of the gear offered in the alchenomicon, and the 130+ sidequest. And by the way thats not including the dlc and multiplayer functions.

So those that worry about not enough to do in single player trust me theres plenty.

I myself have banked 170 hours and still have plenty I can do. This game probably has more content then ff1-ff13 combined short of maybe ff12.

That being said if anyone has any questions about the game. (how to complete a quest, get a certain item/weapon, good leveling spots or team strategies. etc) feel free to pm/vm or just post here.

Last edited:

Tubey84

I'm not going to say it's boring, and I enjoy "grindfests", but what I will say about DQIX is that it's not the game it could have been. It missed a massive opportunity with WiFi to allow connection around the world, which could have been done. Only allowing shortrange link with friends is, quite frankly, a letdown for anyone over the age of 12 who don't have a few playground friends handy.

The online shop is a nice feature and the Quester's Rest is well done, but generally the game feels... I dunno, "old-fashioned" perhaps? It's like stepping back in time and playing an RPG on the NES. Ever since FF7, RPG's have changed and whilst DQIX tries to hold firm to its roots, it becomes more of a progression rather than an experience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a good game, but it's not the groundbreaker it could have been. It's certainly not the best RPG of all time - mainly because it focuses on multi-player without offering the read multi-player capabilities. It's a bit... well, crap quite frankly, to create generic party members with no personalities.

It's a 7/10 for me.

Raging Ghost

Red Dragon Archfiend
Yes in fact unless you value the portable church aspect thats really the only purpose to a priests skillset. They boost your magical mending by 160 when you master them. Only trouble is paladin isn't really worth the idiotic quest needed to get it. Its a low attack wall that heals. However he is essential to power leveling teammates on liquid metal slimes, which dish out an enormous amount exp (40,000), they have a skill that lets you guard your whole team.

With that said I wouldn't bother leveling a priest until you pass him/her some attack power. The minstrel learns decent healing magic so stick with that or if your good use a thief since they make getting drops alot easier and learn heal.

Well, I planned to make my main character a thief.

I got two other questions:

1. Which classes, between the mage and the magic knight, is best?

2. Is a paladin able to ressurect people?