• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragonite Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
250px-Palmer_Dragonite.png

DRAGONITE:

Typing: Dragon/Flying

Stats:

HP: 91
Attack: 134
Defense: 95
Special Attack: 100
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 80

Abilities: Inner Focus: Prevents flinching.
Multiscale (hidden): Halves damage taken when at full health.

Looking at Dragonite, one thing immediately pops out: Multiscale. Without any prior damage, Dragonite can take Ice Beams with relative ease. Another thing that shows is good bulk even without Multiscale in effect. All of these elements make it an excellent Dragon Dancer.

However, Ice moves are quite common, as is Stealth Rock, something that will ruin Dragonite. A spinner will be necessary to retain Dragonite's godly bulk. Though Dragonite can take some of the weaker Ice attacks like Starmie's Ice Beam, a STAB Ice attack will do a hell of a lot of damage. Starmie serves as an excellent partner, spinning away hazards and beating a counter to any Dragonite without Earthquake: Heatran.

As for countering Dragonite, any Ice-type with a STAB attack of fair power will end his days, especially if Multiscale is gone. Heatran will also counter any set without Earthquake (and to a lesser extent Waterfall), due to a resistance to many of his attacks, Stealth Rock to cripple it, and HP Ice to outright kill it.

Rather than spend tons of time saying all of his possible sets, I'll just post a link with all of his sets.

AlexielSolarin

Something else that ought to be mentioned is Mold Breaker Haxorus. Mold Breaker lets him cut past Multiscale, giving him a free OHKO with Outrage. Also, rain-boosted Surf should in theory be able to take down Heatran, if you have the team support for a rain-abuse Dragonite.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
i like having multiscale dragonits but it always in PO gets hit by an status or entry hazzard which ruins its ability.

irock245

She wants it
^then you don't have a vert good team, you need to cover his threats or he becomes dead weight.

for me, i prefer salamence, because i can fit him on my teams i make better then dragonite. Dragonite is better on stall team and bulky offensive, but salamence is better on HO.

Boy I love dragonite, in this gen it got that awesome multiscale ability which makes him the most used pokemon in OU, and for a right reason, that awesome attack combined with that grat ability, decent typing, awesome movepool and good bulk is nothing to ignore.
Besides look at it! Its a flying orange barney! Who doesnt love that!!!.

Zachmac

Slap it with a dual screener, and it's the king of rotation battles.

I think it's amazing, but I always prefer dragon dancers. Anyway, when DW ditto gets released, it'll work well with parashuffle Dragonite if you don't want to give it the choice scarf.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
Something else that ought to be mentioned is Mold Breaker Haxorus. Mold Breaker lets him cut past Multiscale, giving him a free OHKO with Outrage. Also, rain-boosted Surf should in theory be able to take down Heatran, if you have the team support for a rain-abuse Dragonite.

Rivalry OHKOs through Multiscale too.

It's honestly really surprising that no one's made a Dnite thread already. There's just so much it can do, from bulky DD to offensive DD to mixed (although it's outclassed by Salamence at this) to even abusing rain. It can also Dragon Tail phaze too. It's now the most used Pokemon in the metagame for good reason.

Eranu™

When I used a Choice Band Dnite I always caught Ferrothorns off guard and OHKO'd with fire punch.
Dragonite is the most broken poke of the OU metagame with it's multiscale and great synergy with Sun and Rain.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
As for countering Dragonite, any Ice-type with a STAB attack of fair power will end his days, especially if Multiscale is gone. Heatran will also counter any set without Earthquake (and to a lesser extent Waterfall), due to a resistance to many of his attacks, Stealth Rock to cripple it, and HP Ice to outright kill it.

Dragon Pulse is better than HP Ice, also scarftran counters earthquake nite with a 2HKO Dragon Pulse (with multiscale intact) and outspeeding a +1 nite. Flame Charge Heatran basically do this also. Assuming they use their turn to try and DDance. You predict when they're gonna throw their nite in when they use their rapid spinner.

Mamoswine is prolly the best ice counter, it can outspeed with the right EVs and Icicle crash OHKO's with multiscale.

I agree with Starmie as a team-mate, but you need to put in politoed/ninetales as well lol.

AlexielSolarin

Rivalry OHKOs through Multiscale too.

Maybe, not sure if the 25% boost would without an item, but how often in the game will you be assured of fighting an opponent who is the same gender as your own Haxorus? If the Dragonite just so happens to be of the opposite gender, then you've lost 25% of your power against it. Not to hate on Rivalry, but Mold Breaker has more utility, especially when you consider that Mold Breaker Haxorus ignores Multiscale completely, where Rivalry still needs to take it into account, as well as the Dragonite's gender. *shrugs*

Dragonite works pretty well as a Rain abuser, though. Mine is geared towards little bulk, more offense, but it still does a heck of a job in the late game cleanup role, after a lot of the faster Pokemon have been crippled or cleared out.

Dragonite is amazing. Even some people say he's broken, he has so many options, to counter and abuse weathers, to revenge kill, to sweep... he has high stats, too.
I find Bulky Dragon Dance and Parashuffling Dragonite very threatening, since with a few dragon dances it can outspeed a lot of teams and he can take hits like a boss. Parashuffling is annoying too, when it gets the sub and paralyze, it becomes hard to kill.
He has too many options for movesets, he gets elemental punches, good coverage, special attacks too, roost, Hurricane to abuse rain,etcetc.
There's only a few things that can kill it. Status like Toxic and Paralyze is his biggest enemy (unless he has Lum Berry) and some Stealth Rocks to break his Multiscale. Skarmory and Bronzong in rain can take most of Dragonite's movesets, and revenge killers such as CB Mamo's Ice Shard, CS Terrakion, Haxorus, Landorus and Cloyster can end his spree.
Dragonite is one of my favorite pokemons, and I like to use him in my teams!

Zachmac

Maybe, not sure if the 25% boost would without an item, but how often in the game will you be assured of fighting an opponent who is the same gender as your own Haxorus? If the Dragonite just so happens to be of the opposite gender, then you've lost 25% of your power against it. Not to hate on Rivalry, but Mold Breaker has more utility, especially when you consider that Mold Breaker Haxorus ignores Multiscale completely, where Rivalry still needs to take it into account, as well as the Dragonite's gender. *shrugs*
Mold breaker is the way to go one wi-fi, but on the most popular battle simulator(pokemon online), the default gender is male, and most people won't bother to swap it, making rivalry more effective.

Ilan

Mold breaker is the way to go one wi-fi, but on the most popular battle simulator(pokemon online), the default gender is male, and most people won't bother to swap it, making rivalry more effective.

that's called trolling this shouldn't be used just like attract..

I though dragonite was faster but guess he isn't luckly he have good bulk and with multiscale he is not in salamance shadow anymore!

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Must has! Parashuffler with STAB Dragon Tail and access to Roost. Will puts Politoed, Smeargle, Wobbuffet, Ferrothorn or Forretress, and Vaporeon on team so there's no annoying stuff stopping Dragonite from sending them in and out. Multiscale is a godsend!

Zachmac

that's called trolling this shouldn't be used just like attract..
If they got you once, shame on them. If they got you twice, shame on you. People can change their pokemon's genders.

Trolling is parafusion bellosom in the sun.

Sometimes I greatly dislike stealth rocks and how they seem to be forced onto every team build. While having a biast effect on certain pokemon types. Then when I look at dragonite I go thank you stealth rocks.

Ilan

If they got you once, shame on them. If they got you twice, shame on you. People can change their pokemon's genders.

Trolling is parafusion bellosom in the sun.

I change genders of some pokemons but if it pringels (jellicent) I keep it male cause the female counterpart isn't pringels..

is kyurems' blizzard (strongest ice attack in the game so far) captable of 0HKO MultiScale dragonite? can someone calculate it? (ignoring hail damage)

If so we can put kyurem in the list of the checks of dragonite (need checking ice beam too).

what other thing can check dragonite?

Zachmac

is kyurems' blizzard (strongest ice attack in the game so far) captable of 0HKO MultiScale dragonite? can someone calculate it? (ignoring hail damage)
Is going to math even necessary? With muliscale, it'll still be x2, 180 power from a base 130 sp.attack.

xXShinyUmbreonXx

You know, I keep hearing about multiscale dnite, and have probably faced a quite few too (who would run inner focus now?) I can honestly say that it has never swept me. I don't know why, but I really don't have any problems with him. Then again, I have mold breaker haxorus, icicle spear cloyster (which basically eliminates multiscale due to multiple hits) and choice banded ice punch metagross, who can kill offensive dnite with relative ease, even without choice band. Plus there's stone edge terrakion if I get desperate. I think the reason I don't have any problems with him is that I have so many unintentional counters to it on my team. Especially since he's not outspeeding anything except meta on my team, and he takes outrages like they're nothing. (max defense ev's) Dragonite requires a good deal of set up to sweep, and needs some support, and can't just fit into any team it wants at will, like other dragons.

So add cloyster to that list, given the 180 base defense means he's not taking much damage from dnite without thunderpunch or tbolt, and can shell smash to become faster, then definitely ohko with icicle spear.

Zachmac

^It's usually good with just one or two dragon dances, so I don't think it take a good deal of set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.