• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Drayden Versus Iris: Past, Present, and Future! (762)

LizardonX

Banned

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
yeah but druddigon is a hella lot weaker than a Dragonite is and it doesn't have multiscale to help it.

Does it matter here?

As for this talk about Dragonite's little "ice" issues, basically it suffers from what i like to call "Swellow" syndrome, it resists an element it's normally resistant too, but is easily dispatched by other types to make up for it, simple enough.

RVD_fan

I enjoyed this episode, it felt like a nice wrap-up to Iris's story, despite losing the match, Excadrill got some level of redemption against Haxorus and both of Iris's formerly disobedient Pokemon obeyed her completely. Overall, I think Iris had a solid arc in Best Wishes, getting a bunch of Pokemon with difficult personalities to listen to her. If her Axew evolves at the end, preferably at the same time as Scraggy, I'll be pretty much satisfied.

Now if only a certain other main character had actually gotten some development *coughashunconvincingcough*.

ConUxie223

Kalos Trap Queen
How the heck does Dragonite tank Ice Beam, Ice Shard, Blizzard and Ice Fang without dropping? And Dragonite stopped Mamoswine's Take Down and ran through Blizzard. Dragonite has had more BS wins.

I don't see how someone can get mad about someone beating Dragonite and calling it BS when Dragonite has been shown to be full of it. Especially when he's versing a Dragon type raised by a Dragon Master.
Yes, Dragonite took Ice Beams and Ice Shards but he was inflicted with damage from all of them. Druddigon didnt even freeze which is the normal effect of Ice Beam in the anime. All I was saying was that they suddenly made Drayden's Druddigon the strongest Dragon type ever -_- and Dragonite stopped "Take Down" not Dragon Rush which is a much more powerful win... They suddenly made Dragonite seem weak even though they had they WTJC make him look strong and the TR 2-parter to make him look powerful and then out of nowhere they make him look weak compared to one Druddigon.. Now if he had fought against a Pokemon and got weakened some the fight would have looked believable but it wasnt and it looked to me like they were trying to portray Drayden as the strongest Trainer in Unova while making Iris look bad as a result.
My hypocrite senses are tingling. It's alright that Dragonite can take whatever Ice attack comes it way despite being weaker to Ice then most dragons (part Flying) but when Druddigon blocks a non STAB Ice Beam, oh no, that's just plain evil.
How am I being a hypocrite? Dragonite is a powerful but they made him look like crap compared to Druddigon who he didnt even get one hit on. I dont really care for Dragonite but it was really dumb to see how the battle turned out.

Graham Aker

All I was saying was that they suddenly made Drayden's Druddigon the strongest Dragon type ever -_- and Dragonite stopped "Take Down" not Dragon Rush which is a much more powerful win... They suddenly made Dragonite seem weak even though they had they WTJC make him look strong and the TR 2-parter to make him look powerful and then out of nowhere they make him look weak compared to one Druddigon..

It's Pokemon...it happens. Thus is it's nature. Prime example, Pikachu beat Regice...then suddenly it barely ties to an Elekid a few episodes later.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Its not one Druidigon its Drayden Druidigon, it was strong enough to beat Dragonite there is nothing unbelievable about its win.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
How am I being a hypocrite? Dragonite is a powerful but they made him look like crap compared to Druddigon who he didnt even get one hit on. I dont really care for Dragonite but it was really dumb to see how the battle turned out.
You never defended Dragonite... huh, must have fooled you for someone else. My bad, but it still doesn't matter since Dragonite is known far better for that nonsense then Drayden's one time used Druddigon

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Now I know exactly why Ash won't fight Drayden in the first place. Because Drayden is way overpowered. Why? Because has defeated a already overpowered Dragonite. But did Ash won against Dragonite before? Yes, in the Junior Cup but there's a diffrence.

1) In the Junior Cup Dragonite briefly obeys vs Krokorok but when Dragonite is hit by Dragon Claw, Dragonite starts to go for a rampage (weakenj Dragonite) and then Krookodile could win launching many hits.
2) In the Drayden battle, Druddigon takes all hits from Dragonite like nothing and launches a Dragon Tail that KO Dragonite. In this, Dragonite is now fully obedient to Iris, meaning that isn't a handicap that give Drayden the win.

Yes, Dragonite took Ice Beams and Ice Shards but he was inflicted with damage from all of them. Druddigon didnt even freeze which is the normal effect of Ice Beam in the anime. All I was saying was that they suddenly made Drayden's Druddigon the strongest Dragon type ever -_- and Dragonite stopped "Take Down" not Dragon Rush which is a much more powerful win... They suddenly made Dragonite seem weak even though they had they WTJC make him look strong and the TR 2-parter to make him look powerful and then out of nowhere they make him look weak compared to one Druddigon.. Now if he had fought against a Pokemon and got weakened some the fight would have looked believable but it wasnt and it looked to me like they were trying to portray Drayden as the strongest Trainer in Unova while making Iris look bad as a result.

Because a trained Druddigon destroying a newly captured Dragonite makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:

That user title fits you very well, when you make posts like these. Iris lost get over it.

I told you guys Druddigon rawks. u_u Now all hail me and I'll be happy.~

Hail to 00poke_maniac!

This episode made me so teary eyed. I wanted Iris to win but the way the episode was setup really showed the future is bright for Iris. I'm so proud of Excadrill for tying with Haxorus and it looks like Iris and Dragonite are finally together. I know in the future she'll come back and beat Drayden. His experience was just too much which was my biggest fear going into this.

Love you forever, Iris<3

A better love story than Twilight

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
This was a good episode, or should I say, a typical Iris episode? XD

Although I found the battle between Haxorus and Excadrill rushed, the outcome was satisfying and Iris lost which is what I had hoped for. I found myself even more connected to her character after seeing what she had to go through in school. I felt so bad for her, she had no friends because she was ... well, different - I think many people can relate to that, I know I did.

Iris developing to become a gym leader is something I would like to see, but she still hasn't said 'yes' to the offer so we'll see if she accepts. Either way, I am happy with what has become of her story arc. She's grown a lot, but still has a long way to go. ^^

Graham Aker

I felt so bad for her, she had no friends because she was ... well, different - I think many people can relate to that, I know I did.

It kinda makes you wonder, now that she has two good friends she's traveling with, why she moans and groans about Ash being "childish", and Cilan being "annoying".

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
It kinda makes you wonder, now that she has two good friends she's traveling with, why she moans and groans about their antics. Ash being "childish", and Cilan being "annoying".
Well, to be honest, she hasn't had many friends. Most of her friends were Pokémon and that girl from the village was her only true friend. And that girl is nowhere near Ash/Cilan in terms of behavior or personality (she seems shy and reserved) so it's only natural that Ash and Cilan would get different reactions out of Iris (Ash making rash/stupid decisions and Cilan being all weird and eccentric). But honestly, I think that the most of Iris's jokes were played for comedy purposes as we saw exactly how much she cheered Ash on in his battle against Roxie. ^^

Plus, friends do annoy quite a lot sometimes. xD

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
A good Iris episode no doubt.

-Battles, Doryuuzu and Kairyu was rushed but at least the wanted results happened with Doryuuzu typing and showing improvement against Ononokusu. Kairyu VS. Crimgan showed Kairyu and Iris mended trust and Kairyu's trust toward humans in-general. Iris losing was good and what I wanted and I look forward to how she's going to develop in her new Gym Leader goal alongside her Dragon Master goal.

-Iris' past, so when attending Souryuu Academy she was friendless? Very relatable moment and showed how Iris being different contrasted to the usual norm of the other kids of Souryuu. I thought the scene where she was in the fountain splashing and playing with the Koaruhi was pretty cute and a nice likened moment back to when she was at the village and played in the stream. That flashback to her dorm room and her looking at pictures of Shobu and Doryuuzu was precious, it must have been really tough for her at that time, again that a moment I think a lot of people can relate to. I liked the scene where she was pushing Ononodo too hard just like with Doryuuzu.

-Music during the flashback to Doryuuzu being Rock Smashed was surprisingly good, seemed like a new piece and fit the nostalgic aura they were trying to portray quite nicely.

-Shaga getting serious when Kairyu came out to play was great and his Crimgan being treated like a real powerhouse as well as finishing the battle with Dragon Tail.

Overall, Iris being offered a scholarship to becoming the Souryuu Leader was expected, but I couldn't be happier. It ties into the game and shows how Iris' development eventually lead up to this.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer

I'm glad that they did that so that it makes it seem like it's so unstoppable in which it doesn't still need any proper training. We already have a Charizard somewhere, Dragonite still can use some more help.

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
Why is there complaint about Dragonite vs Druddigon? Drayden was experienced and all his Pokemon were well conditioned. Because there is no such thing as stats and levels in the anime but experience and conditioning, Druddigon was stronger than Dragonite naturally by experience and training and THAT ALL DRAGONS ARE PSEUDO LEGENDARY BECAUSE THEY HYPE THEM ALL UP TO BE AS SUCH.

Also Broken Barney was strong because of his disobedience. Hell Look at Ash's Charizard, Dawn's Mamoswine, Misty's Gyarados, and Bianca's Escaliver kind of. All mighty and powerful with the ability to OHKO all who oppose them until they get their behinds kicked hard. Now Broken Barney is just a regular powerhouse like Zeustle.

Now that Iris has full control over Broken Barney, all those powers he showed to have are gone. Reminds me of this rule
140. Law of NPC Relativity (Magus Rule)
Characters can accomplish superhuman physical feats, defeat enemies with one hand tied behind their back and use incredible abilities -- until they join your party and you can control them. Then these wonderful powers all vanish, along with most of their hit points.

It kinda makes you wonder, now that she has two good friends she's traveling with, why she moans and groans about Ash being "childish", and Cilan being "annoying".

Probably because Ash and Cilan are dudes and not girls. I think Iris feels more connected with friends who are girls seeing as how her relationship with Shobu is really strong and she even got along great with Dawn.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
It kinda makes you wonder, now that she has two good friends she's traveling with

It's almost like Ash is traveling with social rejects now xD (both Iris and Dento are a bit weird. Which I find awesome, though I don't know why people found Iris so weird. I was always catching bugs and things when I was younger. Granted, never climbed trees much (my parents said I'd break a bone or something lol)

I like how it had Iris seem a bit weird, because we all are in a way. We all know Iris secretly relishes her traveling companions. That much is obvious. =P She'd cheered for Ash during the gym battle, and told Dento that his "annoyingness" was what made traveling fun. So while she is a bit rude/blunt, it doesn't make her a bad person.