• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dream World Ability Discussion

Witch of 'Cos

i love the pee pees
Stealth Rock is not a status, bro. Magic Mirror looks like it's just an ability form of mirror coat.

BaldWombat

Mortal Wombat!
Stealth Rock is not a status, bro. Magic Mirror looks like it's just an ability form of mirror coat.

Yes, and Magic Coat has been confirmed by Smogon to bounce back SR, Spikes, TSpikes, WW, and Roar in addition to status moves this gen.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Scrappy Exploud is "now it can yell at Ghost types without them magically being deaf!" I keep picturing it yelling at a Gastly for some reason...

And Water Absorb Lanturn makes me wish Pokemon could have two abilities at once.

Brave Birdy

A friend just told me that Tail Glow is being changed so that it raises Sp. Atk 3 stages instead of 2. I'm still waiting on a link, however, but if this is true, then Mischievous Heart Volbeat could possibly be an OU baton passer.

Volbeat @Charty or Occa Berry / Mischievous Heart
-Tail Glow
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Bug Buzz?

Volbeat doesn't exactly have the defenses to last long in battle, but Mischievous Heart gives priority to Substitute, so Volbeat can sub up, Tail Glow, and then Baton Pass to a special sweeper. I wasn't sure what to use for the items, but I figured that a berry which reduces the power of a super effective attack would be useful in helping Volbeat survive long enough to Baton Pass.

doku888

Where am I?
Staraptor's reckless ability looks awesome, seriously. Imagine a Banded Raptor with Brave Bird being at a base 240 power with reckless, Take Down would be 180..... and that's without the band!!! Give it Close Combat for Ice/Rocks/Steel, U-Turn to get out if your match-up isn't great....

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
4HP 252ATK 252SPE
Brave Bird
Take Down
Close Combat
U-Turn

This thing could destroy stuff.. Or Am I being stupid? O.O

Staraptor's reckless ability looks awesome, seriously. Imagine a Banded Raptor with Brave Bird being at a base 240 power with reckless, Take Down would be 180..... and that's without the band!!! Give it Close Combat for Ice/Rocks/Steel, U-Turn to get out if your match-up isn't great....

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
4HP 252ATK 252SPE
Brave Bird
Take Down
Close Combat
U-Turn

This thing could destroy stuff.. Or Am I being stupid? O.O

I've actually seen quite a few Staraptor already. Reckless does make it pretty powerful, though on this set it might be better to use Double-Edge over Take Down for more power. It can also do pretty good with a Scarf. I can't say whether or not it will be OU when everything dies down, but it is definately better than it was last gen. One thing though...Reckless boosts attacks by x1.2 not x2.

doku888

Where am I?
Serious? It's only 1.2x? :(..... My bad. I was reading on Serebii, came across Staraptor... went "OH YEAH" because it syas that the power of recoil moves is doubled. Oh well, it's still a prety significant boost.

Not as bad as it seems. When paired with Choice Band or Life Orb it gets 180% or 156% respective boosts.

Reckless CB Staraptor can 2HKO max / max Rotom with Brave Bird after Stealth Rocks now. Max / max Zapdos also is knocked out after Stealth Rocks. Close Combat can even 2HKO Specially Defensive Skarm after rocks lol.

Too bad Staraptor has awful defensive typing and stats. Just use Wargle. Hes only a little better but looks much, much cooler.

Rtrt160

F1R3 TR41N3R
Speaking of Reckless, I think people are overlooking Reckless Emboar. With Flare Blitz and Head Smash to abuse with it's base 123 Attack, it could very well be an OU sweeper.

Plusle.

Plusle!
i think zapdos + lightning rod might make it a viable special sweeper

I'm sad that it is not compatible with heat wave.

doku888

Where am I?
How about Alakazam? With Magic Guard it can participate in pretty much every weather team (Barring Trick Room if that counts.) It has Sunny Day, Rain Dance, and Magic Guard to prevent Sandstorm and Hail damage. It also got Telekenisis, so it can avoid damage from EQ, Surf, Eruption...... It can use Side change to prevent from being hit hard...... No damage from SR (if SR is big in this gen) Spikes, Toxic Spikes...... Reflect and Light Screen Support........ I'd say they made Alakazam a pretty good partner in a doubles weather team, granted he obviously lacks some bulk... :/

Crobat Ray

PO Username: Ray !
I think Salamence with Overconfidence looks pretty tough out there. I mean, its attack rise when it kills people! And Goruggo with No Guard and Dynamicpunch: Machamp.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Just saying Damp Swampert can't learn Stealth Rock.

I really hope Shanderaa isn't made Uber. It's probably my favorite 5th generation Pokemon. :(

Plus, it would get destroyed in ubers anyway, that typing and speed is terrible.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
Just saying Damp Swampert can't learn Stealth Rock.

I really hope Shanderaa isn't made Uber. It's probably my favorite 5th generation Pokemon. :(

Plus, it would get destroyed in ubers anyway, that typing and speed is terrible.
It seems doubtful now that it will be; between its typing, defenses, speed and moveset, it just can't hold up that well when it Shadow Tags. There was initial OMG UBERS hype, but it likely will sit as a comfortable OU pokemon.

Speaking of Reckless, I think people are overlooking Reckless Emboar. With Flare Blitz and Head Smash to abuse with it's base 123 Attack, it could very well be an OU sweeper.
People keep saying this, but its Speed is still abominable. It looks like a comfortable UU pokemon who may see his time in BL (or even on a OU team), but, like Electivire was, is a little over-hyped now. And he's just out-classed by his two typing team-mates, both of whom have better stat totals, and one has a ridiculous moveset and decent attacks and speed and the other a good speed and offense, and both of whom are so easily OU.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Anyone think about Adaptability Crawdaunt? I mean, it gets DD as an egg move and SD as TM, and base 160 power Waterfall and Crunch, 180 Crabhammer, 140 Night Slash, I think it could be allright, though it's useless speed is annoying, maybe trick room, otherwise, 200 base power Payback always seems handy

BaldWombat

Mortal Wombat!
Anyone think about Adaptability Crawdaunt? I mean, it gets DD as an egg move and SD as TM, and base 160 power Waterfall and Crunch, 180 Crabhammer, 140 Night Slash, I think it could be allright, though it's useless speed is annoying, maybe trick room, otherwise, 200 base power Payback always seems handy

Assuming Jolly you get 343 Spe and 508 Atk after one DD. Double STAB Crabhammer and Crunch coming from that Atk will hurt and its speed is decent after a DD. Should be an interesting poke in the lower tiers.

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
Anyone ever consider assigning Pokes with DWAs to different tiers than ones with their normal abilities? Maybe this would clear up the Shanderra mess with the Shadow Tag DWA...