• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dreamworks or Pixar?

Dreamworks or Pixar

• Total voters
The answer for me has to be Pixar, though I have to admit, this is probably in large measure due to the fact that I've seen a drastically higher proportion of Pixar films than DreamWorks films.

A quick count is in order.

Pixar movies I've seen: Every single one except Brave, for a total of thirteen (though, for purposes of clarification, I haven't seen either of the two Planes films, which are not technically Pixar but are spun off from the Cars series, which is Pixar).

DreamWorks movies I've seen: Over the Hedge, Kung Fu Panda, Kung Fu Panda 2, and How to Train Your Dragon. That makes four, unless we also include Chicken Run, Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit, and Flushed Away, each of which was made in partnership with Aardman. If so, the total would be seven.

But to explain this, I'd have to say first of all that Over the Hedge is probably the first movie that I ever specifically noted for being better than its previews indicated. The previews I saw (admittedly mostly the ones on TV) made it look very much like it was simply about animals doing pointless animal things in a way that destroys property and annoys any humans who aren't the viewers. What I found was much more, and upon watching it again after a number of years, it even helped me realize a few interesting points about people's differences. I did enjoy How to Train Your Dragon, though right now I'm just thinking of it as "very good, but not great." Maybe it's been too long since I've seen it.

However, Kung Fu Panda was awesome! I know it is odd to say this, but I am similar to Po in one particular way: I don't really feel like I'm good at some of the things I want to be good at. But at the same time, I'm not satisfied with just staying that way. But aside from lessons I learned from the film, I'd say it was great in just about every possible way, especially the humor and the action. As lame as it may sound, it was my very first martial arts action movie. The second Kung Fu Panda should also be mentioned for having the best 3D I've seen in a 3D movie. It literally did not feel like I was watching a movie, drastically better than the "popping out of the screen / looking into a diorama" effect of most of the other 3D movies I've seen. Both Kung Fu Panda movies are among my favorite movies of all.

To turn my attention to Pixar, I'd have to say I simply don't care for A Bug's Life. It has a few good things about it, but as a whole, it's not really something I care for watching. This is in contrast to something like Finding Nemo, which I got very tired of, and went to aquariums several times within a few years of Finding Nemo's release and heard a bunch of little kids saying "It's Nemo!" even about fish which were totally not Nemo...but every time I watch it now I say, "Wow, there's a bunch of great stuff in here!" It is also in contrast to Toy Story 3, which I like, but I don't think it had anything like the depth of the previous two, and therefore I consider it lackluster as a finale to the Toy Story series. (We'll see if it stays that way, since Tom Hanks mentioned there being a fourth one planned.) If it isn't obvious, I really like the first two.

I really, really like Monsters Inc., and Monsters University. One of the things I loved about the original was the very large number of visual gags, and the prequel did an excellent job keeping up that tradition. In some ways, I liked Monsters University even better than the original. I'm looking at some of the scores given to it by movie critics, and I'm honestly surprised that some people rate it so much lower than other Pixar films. I'm also surprised I've heard that some people have claimed it was just released to sell toys to kids. Though I admit to not having seen it, that seemed much more like what Planes was for.

Also, Cars 2 brings this discussion to an interesting point, since I like it, but I think many of the things it did were done better in the later Disney movie Wreck-It Ralph. Racing, going all over the place, a villain who was in some way disguised? Yeah. In each case, it was not wrecked, but perfected, in Wreck-It Ralph.

At the same time, this means I may be overly negative in my view of some DreamWorks movies I haven't seen, ones that seem to borrow quite a bit from other movies: Antz, Shark Tale, MegaMind, Turbo, and maybe there are more. This may once again be my bias speaking, but I'm sure I thought of some movie that the preview of Mr. Peabody and Sherman reminded me of, but this hasn't bothered me, maybe because I definitely want to see it.

Anyway, that's all I've got. Maybe my view of the two studios will change over time, but for now, I hope that provides some perspective on why I prefer Pixar.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
IMO, the only things that I find notable from Dreamworks are How To Train Your Dragon and to a much lesser extent, MegaMind. Dreamworks also has big blemishes to me like Madagascar(eww), thiugh Pixar has theirs too(Cars/Planes. eww). So, I'm going to have to give this one to Pixar as I've had much better experiences with Pixar's films and I find them to be of better overall quality than those of Dreamworks.