• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dressed for Jess Success! (614)

Geodude

Off the top of my head I can think of the Ralts episode in Hoenn...at least I think it was that one...there was a longer-than-usual battle with Team Rocket then that gave Max a chance to escape with Ralts if I remember correctly. There was also the "One Trick Phony" episode in Johto where a disguised James battled using a rented Venusaur, and he did very well then. He also approached that shiny Metagross with something resembling a strategy, since he had Mime Jr. confuse it first. It backfired, but it still showed he had some kind of plan. Like I said, when given the chance, James knows what he's doing.

Devastator1

Off the top of my head I can think of the Ralts episode in Hoenn...at least I think it was that one...there was a longer-than-usual battle with Team Rocket then that gave Max a chance to escape with Ralts if I remember correctly. There was also the "One Trick Phony" episode in Johto where a disguised James battled using a rented Venusaur, and he did very well then. He also approached that shiny Metagross with something resembling a strategy, since he had Mime Jr. confuse it first. It backfired, but it still showed he had some kind of plan. Like I said, when given the chance, James knows what he's doing.

Okay.... at first I thought you were biased and wasnt looking at the battle objectively, so you just failed to see the point i was trying to make. today i noticed something in your sig and i was like...hmmmm interesting???lol anyhoo i think i've said enough to back up my point which was and still is "having mamoswine disobyed was the writers way of giving team rocket the victory with out trivializing dawn's skills or accomplishments as a trainer."

you said you disagreed beacause
1)"James has held his own on many previous occasions. Since he has helped and supported Jessie in every single previous contest, he's clearly learned a lot about them."

2) Ummmm going back a few post, thats all ive found really.

I think I've said enough to prove that james wouldnt have won under normal circumstances, normal meaning dawn having full control of her pokemon. And because he knows about contest isnt a plausible reason for him to win his first( see the bit where i talked about ash). I can think of a lot more times james has been imcompetent (e.g. using mime jr to catch a metagross, see ...there's 2 ways of looking at it) but i'll be going around in circles.

Geodude

Oh well. I'm not going to bother pursuing this anymore, it's not worth it to me. Let me just end by saying that yes, I think Dawn would have won under normal circumstances, but I also think James would have put up a pretty good fight in the process.

A little off-topic, but I don't think you can use the Mime Jr/Metagross thing as evidence of any incompetence. All we really know is that James chose to start the battle with Teeter Dance. Nothing wrong with that. He could very well have intended to switch in Carnivine afterward, but we just didn't get a chance to see it because of what happened next.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Great contest, with a lot of battles, but too bad that Dawn lost.
I loved the battle between Dawn and James, Mamoswine, with a little concentration could win this battle....

Champion Jared 14

I really enjoyed the episode...it's looking more and more like the writers want Jessie to enter the Grand Festival this time around...somewhat legit I guess...But now, this is another reason why DP is so lame just because this series is soo dragged out...Dawn has now just partaken in her 9th contest. This is more than badges that Ash needs for the league!! Dawn still has yet to get her fifth ribbon...The writers have dragged this season out for Dawn to lose FIVE contests, and win four ribbons....over quite a long period of time, it makes me wonder...what are the writers setting Dawn up for? Losing all these contests, and her team is changing like crazy...and her team is still unbalanced...I don't mean to compare characters but Dawn hardly compares to May at this rate....I know May had her rookie moments, and Hoenn was a shorter arc, but at least that arc didn't lack substance...

Shinnie-tan

One of the best contest episodes ever. I loved the twist on the ending and how Mamoswine's Ice Shard Swallow technique didn't pull through for it in the end(I think someone predicted this, no? Back in DP 141) and how James won something for once.

Torpoleon

The contest was awesome. It was nice to see Mamoswine in a contest despite his temper.

10/10
It was a truly amazing episode. Meowth was used which I think is cool. James did better than Jessie probably could have. If Dawn had used Buneary or Pachirisu over Mamoswine, Dawn might have won but using Mamoswine was better because now he knows what it is like actually being in a contest. The Dub Title is also one of my favorites.

9Tales

This is one of the few times Team Rocket actually succeeds. It also proves that, even if Jessie is abusive to them, James and Meowth are willing to help her.
Poor Dawn. It was an absolute disaster for her, wasn't it?

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
This was surely such a great episode. Im surprised to see James and Meowth compete for Jessie this time, and they did such an epic job.

I was surprised also by their appeal round, with the noodles. That COTD character (from Noodles! Roamin' Off!) even appeared shortly after, guess he was proud. x3 I thought that was a nice touch. ^^

Mamoswin's Icy back was also pretty cool too, even taking Grotle's discovery from eating your own Energy Ball. In this case, Ice Shard for Mamo. Shame to see however Mamoswine's rage built up at the Semi round, acting like his old self from when he became a Mamoswine. :p

Still, even though Dawn didn't win, glad to see James won. ^^ That's #3, snap.

Well, Im excited for next weeks episode, but sad it'll be Lyra and Khoury's last episode. :(

Vernikova

Champion
I liked the animation during the Mamoswine v. Carnivine battle. I also thought that Carnivine throwing Mamoswine where the judges were was a nice touch just to show how dominant Carnivine was. It's something like this that makes me wonder why James doesn't participate in more battles like this.

wind21

A really brilliant episode that makes up for the Jhoto "whatever" we've had in the last few episodes.

This episode really emphasizes that Dawn is okay with losing as long as she tries her best; and the consolation she gives Mamoswine immediately after losing is sort of touching. Dawn did lose to Kenny in the contest before (I think), so I suppose it's a little weird that the writers out of the blue emphasize this contest that Dawn really understands the nature of being a trainer. Ash and Lyra were more concerned about Dawn's loss than she was! (Side note: love the voice actress for Lyra; she's really fun to listen to)
This aspect of the episode makes it an essential one to the Sinnoh story.

Interesting that Jessie basically cheated to get her ribbon. Wonder where this will go... (although it is nice to finally see Team Rocket "win" at something)

Cyndaquil is a great addition to Dawn's team.

Last edited:

Meron

This is one of the few times Team Rocket actually succeeds. It also proves that, even if Jessie is abusive to them, James and Meowth are willing to help her.
Oh God. Abusive? -_- This is all Jimmy Zoppi's fault. He makes every dub watcher believe James and Meowth hate Jessie. Great.

Dattebayo

Banned
Yet another episode involving James crossdressing. I'd say his Oak and Jessie disguises are actually better then Team Rocket's other disguises in general. The ice shards on Mamoswine's back reminded me of Beast Ganon and that monster from Metroid Prime. Carnivine's got skills, which leads to James victory. I get praised whenever Team Rocket actually win for once, and this one is no exception.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Wow this was actually a really good episode, I thought it was going to be really routine. James proves once again that he can pretty much do anything better than Jessie. Meowth's appeal was really cool and giving the judges a bowl to eat was smart. (Even if it was a sort of bribe.)

Mamoswine was pitiful, Dawn should have used it on the appeal stage. Guess she'll have to wait before she gets that 5th ribbon.

Great fun episode. I liked how James did so well in this episode, and how Meowth delivered on his promise. I thought it was sweet how Dawn didn't like her victory over Mario because it was too easy.{like Ash}

Strange, James is the fictional character I know that can crossdress, yet still come off kind of like a badass. Having Carnivine use vine whip to slam Mamoswine was brutal.

SmartD

A good episode. We get to see James crossdress again, something he did along time ago. And a new contest technique for Mamoswine. Too bad Dawn lost, I hope she wins next time.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
Ok first of all, this was such a relief to see a contest after a while, and the music that was played during piplup's appeal I love and it always seems to get me a bit emotional as it reminds me of aspiration.

But something that frustrates me is that someone mentioned a balanced team for dawn. A team doesnt have to be balanced in a contest as type advantage doesnt matter due to the length of the battle stages. You pick a contest team in terms of style, not type so I believe that a contest team can be whatever combination you like, as long as you can make it work in a contest. (Rant over)

But great episode, good to see james win this contest as it does show he has some contest finese. (If contests continue into the next generation anime, I could see james entering and looking back on this moment as it did spark some kind of fire in his heart when everyone loved his appeal with meowth - ooo how great that would be, a team rocket rivalry in contests :p)

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Great episode, I also loved the music in Dawn's appeal, much better than the Japanese version.
But something that frustrates me is that someone mentioned a balanced team for dawn. A team doesnt have to be balanced in a contest as type advantage doesnt matter due to the length of the battle stages.

I think he was right since Dawn had a Mamoswine and 4 small pokemon with her. But I agree with you about it, despite she could not win this contest.

pokedexfiller

Unova Trainer
James is always so awkward as a girl. Yet, I love it. And the soup makes me hungry.

Sinnoh is really like the losing saga. Ash has lost so many times with these gym leaders than ever before. Same with Dawn and contests. But I don't really mind since it extends the saga and is unpredictable. Especially the fact James actually won against a "terp." (had to say it)

But I would not want to be in Mamoswine's way when he's mad!