• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Drugs Thread

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Brumrha said:
doing any of those is a bad decision to make in your life.
Close-minded talk. Drinking doesn't necessarily lead to anything BAD and neither does weed. Quit getting your facts from preachers and DARE.

Profesco

gone gently
Close-minded talk. Drinking doesn't necessarily lead to anything BAD and neither does weed. Quit getting your facts from preachers and DARE.

Close-minded talk. I think Brumrha might have gotten his facts from those relatives of his he mentioned that had bad experiences with these substances. He qualified his belief that "doing any of those is a bad decison to make" by saying "as for me" first, and it's a perfectly reasonable belief to have given possible bad experiences.

People who dislike or distrust drugs and alcohol are not unanimously close-minded individuals. =/

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Which is why I didn't reply to others, but rather

doing any of those is a bad decision to make in your life.
While smoking makes sense, drinking and in many cases, marijuana (if it was legal, anyway!) certainly aren't bad decisions casually. That's the difference. Experiences or not.

Profesco

gone gently
While smoking makes sense, drinking and in many cases, marijuana (if it was legal, anyway!) certainly aren't bad decisions casually. That's the difference. Experiences or not.

I beg to differ. Maybe the definitions of "bad" and "casually" (and potential "benefits" of making such decisions) aren't strictly the same for you and someone else. And of course one's frame of reference is going to be molded by his or her experiences.

Perhaps Brumrha's experiences of people drinking or getting high casually have included getting tickets, changing character into unpleasant company, becoming ill, or something yet more unfortunate. It is perfectly reasonable to have the opinion that doing those things is a bad decision if your experiences have taught you as much.

Besides, looking at the content of his post, he was speaking of 'doing drugs,' 'drinking,' and 'smoking,' all phrases which, in context, commonly refer to habitual behaviors. Your calling him close-minded in that contextual frame is the only reason I challenged you, really. Regardless of whether you intended it, your post carried the implication that simply having a negative opinion of those behaviors inherently makes you lame, uptight, close-minded, unenlightened, or whatever else the unpopular terms are these days for people who turn down said substances. A generalization, clearly, and a stigma that comes with being - as jb#s would say - straightedge that I dislike seeing advocated. It's entirely possible to be as fun, social, exciting, worldly, and informed a person without drinking or smoking as anyone who does drink or smoke.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Profesco said:
It's entirely possible to be as fun, social, exciting, worldly, and informed a person without drinking or smoking as anyone who does drink or smoke.
Agree.

Your calling him close-minded in that contextual frame is the only reason I challenged you, really. Regardless of whether you intended it, your post carried the implication that simply having a negative opinion of those behaviors inherently makes you lame, uptight, close-minded, unenlightened, or whatever else the unpopular terms are these days for people who turn down said substances.
While I don't truly know what the person meant by bad, 'bad decision in your life' is still horribly worded if he meant it in an addicted fashion, but nowhere is addiction mentioned in the post, so I assume he meant any use at all.

And if they did mean that, then it is my view that it is close-minded regardless of what reason it is even if it is from past experiences; that doesn't make the statement right.

If they're referring to just themselves, fine, but otherwise it just simply sounds ill-informed about drinking to think any form of it is bad physically or mentally.

In fact, let's have the guy elaborate for himself.

Last edited:

Brumrha

Banned
Okay, that's enough!

FTR, people, my dad was a drunk to some extent in the past, & whenever we went to Pizza Hut together, he would end up drinking at least an entire pitcher of beer, which amounts to 3/4s of a gallon, give or take. But that's not the worst of it; what is is that he insisted on driving us home, even though he drank all that beer. Frankly, I'd consider myself really lucky that I didn't get caught in an accident with him behind the wheel at that condition.

Think that's enough?

Actually, I'm just getting started. My niece had parents which both smoked rather frequently, & has a result, she has developed Asthma, which is Tobacco Smoke triggered. Frankly, I felt really sorry for her having to live like this. However... all of this came crashing down once I found out that she had picked up smoking, just like her parents! I was so appalled at this, that my jaw almost dropped onto the ground! This is basically why I started my thread about people smoking a couple of years ago.

Lastly, I've been seeing a show in which there are people working in a busy morgue, & I find out that the majority of the deaths that are brought over ther are drug-related deaths.

& that is why I believe that drugs are bad.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I think it would be more accurate to say this:

drunk driving is a bad decision.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
There's a hell of a lot of unnecessary judgment about other peoples drinking/marijuana use on this thread...as long as it isn't negatively impacting the persons life or the safety of others (ie DUI,) I really think it isn't anyone's business whether someone does or does not do these things....