• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DSi Help

Hello,
I have a DSi I have had since the day it came out (I stayed for the midnight premiers), and recently, it's been going for trips.

For starters, the wifi connection is terrible. It cannot sustain a connection to any wifi port for more than half a minute.

Next, it will hardly load any of the Apps / Games I have. When I put in a DS game (IE Star Wars Battle Front) I mostly get a black screen saying "An error has occured. Please restart the system".

Finally, I'd like to say it is in very good condition. I have dropped it twice majorly, enough to where the L / R buttons don't work. I'm wondering, is this common? Is DSi somewhat flimsy? Was there a bug in the first-release ones later corrected? Is it old and need to be replaced, or is there a way I can reset it?

I'm mildly up to date with Tech Jargon, so you don't have to put it into simple terms to me. Any help is appreciated. :)

gregjammer

Feather Trainer
It looks like either the game is counterfeit/defective, and/or you need a new DSi. Regardingthe DSi, as factory reset fixes only the internal workings, rather than the exterior workings, factory resetting does not fix physical-damage-caused drops, so if you damage the L/R buttons physically, you might want to go to used game trade shops/sites, and normally, you'd have to fork over $100, but I found one here that's cheaper than that, so it's a deal to think about, given there's no way to get a DSi new nowadays...

Now, as for your star wars game, if you get a new/refurbished DSi, and it still doesn't work there, see if it works on a DS Phat/DS Lite, as if that works there and not on the DSi, then the answer to that is that you got a counterfeit game, and from what I was taught, unless I'm mistaken, that means you would have to report it to the respective authorities, due to copyright concerns regarding the counterfeit game...

But if it doesn't work on any DS system, including any new/refurbished DSi as well as the DSPh/Lite, then the game is defective, and you can simply replace it by simply buying a new one, and hopefully make more progress than the copy with the troubles, just to prove that it's not similar to the old and defective game copy in problem terms...

Last edited:

BCVM22

Is DSi somewhat flimsy? Was there a bug in the first-release ones later corrected?

Not unless we're calling "being unable to survive not one, but two major drops" "flimsy".

Is it old and need to be replaced

Yes.

or is there a way I can reset it?

No. There's no means of resetting that fix broken hardware.

It looks like either the game is counterfeit--

Stop right there.

The poster tells you that they have in fact dropped their system "majorly" not once, but twice, and somehow instead of concluding that maybe, just maybe, the system is damaged...

Now, as for your star wars game, if you get a new/refurbished DSi, and it still doesn't work there, see if it works on a DS Phat/DS Lite, and if that works there, then the answer to that is that you got a counterfeit game, and from what I was taught, unless I'm mistaken, that means you would have to report it to the respective authorities, because not only is it not fully compatable w/ your system, but there's also a chance of you getting sued if you're hooked on it, and refuse to report it, over charges of potential copyright law violations, because the makers would feel like their money was stolen, and would use every legal avenue to erase and destroy the counterfeit product, even the avenue that puts you in the slammer, all over a product that was created without permission from the copyright holders of the actual, authentic game, per Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and similar copyright laws. Since we all know the details of the warning that pops up if you watch a DVD, play games, and/or use other media kinds, in which tells us what games are legal and illegal, as well as the consequences of playing illegal games and refusing to report it before you are caught by the police for aiding and abetting counterfeitting operations, I'm going to leave it at that, rather than give too much information...

...you somehow conclude that posting ALL OF THIS is the right idea?

Good christ, man, do you see how illogical and completely unnecessary all of that was? At all?

gregjammer

Feather Trainer
My rebuttal in bold:

gregjammer said:
It looks like either the game is counterfeit--

Stop right there.

The poster tells you that they have in fact dropped their system "majorly" not once, but twice, and somehow instead of concluding that maybe, just maybe, the system is damaged...

Well, I did not say that it's broken because the game is counterfeit. That's a whole different ballgame than the system itself, not to mention that it's just one front of two, rather than the single answer to his question(s)...

Check thisand see what I meant on the game(NOT the DSi, which was answered on the top of my post) front, or am I mistaken? I

gregjammer said:
Now, as for your star wars game, if you get a new/refurbished DSi, and it still doesn't work there, see if it works on a DS Phat/DS Lite, and if that works there, then the answer to that is that you got a counterfeit game, and from what I was taught, unless I'm mistaken, that means you would have to report it to the respective authorities, because not only is it not fully compatable w/ your system, but there's also a chance of you getting sued if you're hooked on it, and refuse to report it, over charges of potential copyright law violations, because the makers would feel like their money was stolen, and would use every legal avenue to erase and destroy the counterfeit product, even the avenue that puts you in the slammer, all over a product that was created without permission from the copyright holders of the actual, authentic game, per Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and similar copyright laws. Since we all know the details of the warning that pops up if you watch a DVD, play games, and/or use other media kinds, in which tells us what games are legal and illegal, as well as the consequences of playing illegal games and refusing to report it before you are caught by the police for aiding and abetting counterfeitting operations, I'm going to leave it at that, rather than give too much information...

...you somehow conclude that posting ALL OF THIS is the right idea?

Good christ, man, do you see how illogical and completely unnecessary all of that was? At all?

Man, if others saw the game and made a judgement based on what they see and what the player sees, based on typos, different sprites, etc. that contrast from the authentic version...

Other than that, I see your point on that front...

I'm just trying my best to help this poor guy

Last edited:

BCVM22

I'm sure you are in fact "trying [your] best" to help the original poster, but still. Posting all of this:

--in response to the original inquiry is proclaiming (inaccurately) the sky to be falling, in the worst way.

Aigh, okay, I got the best of both of your passages. What I was looking for actually was if there was a factory reset, because sometimes that will work. I know it must be the internals now because the camera app is giving me the same error as with the games, so I may need to check into another DSi.

@gregjammer - I see where you are getting your info from, and I'll say my game is not counterfeit, and that it most likely is my system.

@BCVM22 - Of course, major drops mean like ~5 feet up (playing height) to a hard surface, not off a 5-story building. It's all still intact, and looking pretty decent. However, I do think you are right, and that the system itself simply has taken some wear and tear.

Thanks for the help, my problem has been solved. (If a mod wants to lock this, they can).