• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dual Dragon Solar Destruction

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Hello everyone this is my first successful weather team! Ive been runnning it for a while now on PO with stellar results but i feel that it could be better.

Alright,the purpose of this team is to win the weather war straight off the bat and set up one of my lovely dragons for a sweep!

Closer look:

ninetales.jpg

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 SDef / 108 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Will-O-Wisp

Sunny Day on Ninetales may seem ridiculous but it serves the great purpose of scaring off other weather inducers that switch into it and leaving their team at the mercy of powerful STAB Fire Blasts,a huge step forward in winning a weather war. I can also enjoy the option of using the more powerful Solarbeam instead of Energy Ball since I can now set up the sun consistently. I didnt go for Heat Rock because the purpose of using Sunny Day is to gain a temporary upper hand against other weather teams,for long term sun i can just switch out and back in. Will o Wisp punishes Tyranitar that tries to EQ me to death and devastates Landorus and Toxicroak. The given EVs give Ninetales the ability to hit at its hardest as well as maintain respectable bulk,all the while out speeding other auto-weathers.

Charizard_Flamethrower.png

Charizard (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Oh Charizard,the Pokemon I that used to solo the E4 with on my Pokemon Red game when i was six or seven has always been special to me among other Pokemon,and to finally be able to put the classic fan favorite to Competitive use is exciting truly. I chose that particular image from the anime because it no longer depicts an exaggeration of how powerful Charizard is. Thanks to Solar Power,Charizard is able to hit like two trucks when the sun is shining,and with a Choice Scarf alongside a decent base 100 speed he becomes the ultimate revenge killer/cleaner. Charizard's go-to move will almost always be Fire Blast,which is why i didn't mind Choice locking him,as I will hardly ever use another move. But of course there are circumstances where Fire Blast cannot just plow through everything,Solarbeam stops bulky waters like RotomW and Gastrodon dead in their tracks,while HP Ice prevents dragons from walling me and lets me hit Landorus and Gliscor slightly harder. Focus Blast is all I got against Heatran and gives T-tar a nasty surprise.

jellicent_by_snook_8-d46aifb.png

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 180 SDef / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Taunt

While it may seem impractical to use Jellicent on a sun team,Jellicent is my answer to rainstall and to popular fighting types as well as to rapid spinners. The given EVs and Nature allow it to outspeed and Taunt Forretress,Ferrothorn,Donphan,Skarmory,Blissey and Hippowdon,(all popular team supporters) as well as tank hits fairly well on both sides. Will o wisp does a good job of crippling Donphan,Gyarados and even more physical attackers that try to take a shot at Jellicent. Since Jellicent's Water STAB is nerfed by the sun I instead opted for his Ghost STAB in case I do end up using him in the sun to wear down opponents in conjunction with reliable recovery in Recover. I just wish Jellicent wouldnt be brought down so much by the sun,other than that he is great.

foretress.jpg

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Forretress is extremely good at what it does and what it does is exactly what this team needs. Thanks to the sun Forretress can now tank assaults from Water type attacks much better and while it makes his susceptibility to Fire even greater,it isnt like he could take a Flamethrower anyway,plus he has Sturdy. Rapid Spin is Forretress' main move as it is nearly essential to the success of half of this team, especially Charizard. I use Spikes and Stealth Rock to rack up that little bit extra necessary for my attackers to pull off key OHKOs. I didnt use Toxic Spikes because that would clash with Ninetales and jellicent spreading burn with Will O wisp. Gyro Ball helps Forretress rough up frailer threats like Latios or Virizion. The EVs allow Forretress to be sufficiently bulky physically and at the same time take advantage of that Steel typing to take Draco Meteors when it needs to.

Salamence_by_MarticusProductions.jpg

Salamence (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Some may disagree but I think Moxie Salamence is brilliant,I can get away with Fire Blasting some poor Ferrothorn and getting a free Attack boost,and considering that she's Naive,I could probably annihilate half of the opposition just using Moxie to pump Salamence's Attack. Things are even more bleak for my opponent if i actually get a chance to DD. Even with little investment in Sp.Attack a sun boosted Fire Blast hurts and roasts the likes of Scizor and Skarmory while Earthquake takes down Terrakion and Heatran. I chose Dragon Claw over Outrage because with a Moxie boost or two the extra BP isn't worth locking Salamence in and not being able to switch out,as a lot of Steel types depend on Outrage to score an easy win on a dragon. Lum berry foils anyone planning on trying to cripple Mence with Twave or Will o wisp,instead giving me a free turn to DD. Salamence is very capable of turning a hopeless battle into a glorious victory.

gliscor.jpg

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Ive added Gliscor to the team with the purpose of walling Terrakion and putting a halt to most physical assults then proceed to set up SD and wreck havoc. The EVs allow me to outspeed Heatran and Breloom and other threats while having tons of bulk. Earthquake is an invaluable STAB against Tentacruel,Terrakion and Magnezone. Ice Fang tears apart other Gliscor and makes Landorus cry. Finally,Protect allows me to scout my opponent's moves while enjoying the Poison Heal recovery. The sun gives Gliscor much needed neutrality against Water so it can threaten Jellicent and Gastrodon without Ice Beam better.

Please comment and make suggestions!

Last edited:

Ttar's stone edge

League Legend
Wait, Dual dragon? Where's the second one 0.o However, I see boltbeam starmie running offense, (however they lack) tearing this in half. Maybe terrakion. I'll be back in a minute to finish the rate.

WolfSpirit456

Interesting team. However, I'm seeing a big weakness to Rock. Terrakion can plow through this team if given the slightest chance to do so. Also, Mamoswine is very weak to priority. Mach Punch and Bullet Punch can easily kill it. This is why I highly recommend Gliscor. It's high bulk and resistance to fighting could prove useful here.

Gliscor @Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Protect

The EV's allow Gliscor to shrug off most physical moves, while still providing the role of a sweeper. Swords Dance boosts its attack greatly, even without EV investment. Earthquake is for STAB, Ice Fang can take care of dragons, and Protect allows you to scout.

Also, it seems you don't have a Chlorophyll abuser. Replace Charizard for a Venusaur. Venusaur also gives you another nice water resistance.

Venusaur @Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-Growth
-Sleep Powder/Earthquake
-Seed Bomb
-Hidden Power (Fire)

This set allows Venusaur to take care of its counters. Growth boosts both its attack and special attack. Sleep Powder can also give you more opportunities to set up, but if you are worried about opposing Heatran, you can give it Earthquake for better coverage. Seed Bomb gets STAB and Hidden Power (Fire) allows you to hit steel types.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
Hello everyone this is my first successful weather team! Ive been runnning it for a while now on PO with stellar results but i feel that it could be better.

Alright,the purpose of this team is to win the weather war straight off the bat and set up one of my lovely dragons for a sweep!

Closer look:

ninetales.jpg

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 SDef / 108 Spd
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Will-O-Wisp

Sunny Day on Ninetales may seem ridiculous but it serves the great purpose of scaring off other weather inducers that switch into it and leaving their team at the mercy of powerful STAB Fire Blasts,a huge step forward in winning a weather war. I can also enjoy the option of using the more powerful Solarbeam instead of Energy Ball since I can now set up the sun consistently. I didnt go for Heat Rock because the purpose of using Sunny Day is to gain a temporary upper hand against other weather teams,for long term sun i can just switch out and back in. Will o Wisp punishes Tyranitar that tries to EQ me to death and devastates Landorus and Toxicroak. The given EVs give Ninetales the ability to hit at its hardest as well as maintain respectable bulk,all the while out speeding other auto-weathers.

Good, but I think you C+P the description from Smogon.

Charizard_Flamethrower.png

Charizard (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Oh Charizard,the Pokemon I that used to solo the E4 with on my Pokemon Red game when i was six or seven has always been special to me among other Pokemon,and to finally be able to put the classic fan favorite to Competitive use is exciting truly. I chose that particular image from the anime because it no longer depicts an exaggeration of how powerful Charizard is. Thanks to Solar Power,Charizard is able to hit like two trucks when the sun is shining,and with a Choice Scarf alongside a decent base 100 speed he becomes the ultimate revenge killer/cleaner. Charizard's go-to move will almost always be Fire Blast,which is why i didn't mind Choice locking him,as I will hardly ever use another move. But of course there are circumstances where Fire Blast cannot just plow through everything,Solarbeam stops bulky waters like RotomW and Gastrodon dead in their tracks,while HP Ice prevents dragons from walling me and lets me hit Landorus and Gliscor slightly harder. Focus Blast is all I got against Heatran and gives T-tar a nasty surprise.

Good, but you might want to replace this with Venusaur.

jellicent_by_snook_8-d46aifb.png

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 180 SDef / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Recover
- Taunt

While it may seem impractical to use Jellicent on a sun team,Jellicent is my answer to rainstall and to popular fighting types as well as to rapid spinners. The given EVs and Nature allow it to outspeed and Taunt Forretress,Ferrothorn,Donphan,Skarmory,Blissey and Hippowdon,(all popular team supporters) as well as tank hits fairly well on both sides. Will o wisp does a good job of crippling Donphan,Gyarados and even more physical attackers that try to take a shot at Jellicent. Since Jellicent's Water STAB is nerfed by the sun I instead opted for the consistency of Night Shade in case I do end up using him in the sun to wear down opponents in conjunction with reliable recovery in Recover. I just wish Jellicent wouldnt be brought down so much by the sun,other than that he is great.

Use Shadow Ball over Night Shade.

foretress.jpg

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Forretress is extremely good at what it does and what it does is exactly what this team needs. Thanks to the sun Forretress can now tank assaults from Water type attacks much better and while it makes his susceptibility to Fire even greater,it isnt like he could take a Flamethrower anyway,plus he has Sturdy. Rapid Spin is Forretress' main move as it is nearly essential to the success of half of this team, especially Charizard. I use Spikes and Stealth Rock to rack up that little bit extra necessary for my attackers to pull off key OHKOs. I didnt use Toxic Spikes because that would clash with Ninetales and jellicent spreading burn with Will O wisp. Gyro Ball helps Forretress rough up frailer threats like Latios or Virizion. The EVs allow Forretress to be sufficiently bulky physically and at the same time take advantage of that Steel typing to take Draco Meteors when it needs to.

Good.

Salamence_by_MarticusProductions.jpg

Salamence (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Some may disagree but I think Moxie Salamence is brilliant,I can get away with Fire Blasting some poor Ferrothorn and getting a free Attack boost,and considering that she's Naive,I could probably annihilate half of the opposition just using Moxie to pump Salamence's Attack. Things are even more bleak for my opponent if i actually get a chance to DD. Even with little investment in Sp.Attack a sun boosted Fire Blast hurts and roasts the likes of Scizor and Skarmory while Earthquake takes down Terrakion and Heatran. I chose Dragon Claw over Outrage because with a Moxie boost or two the extra BP isn't worth locking Salamence in and not being able to switch out,as a lot of Steel types depend on Outrage to score an easy win on a dragon. Lum berry foils anyone planning on trying to cripple Mence with Twave or Will o wisp,instead giving me a free turn to DD. Salamence is very capable of turning a hopeless battle into a glorious victory.

Good.

Mamoswine__the_Mammoth_Boar_by_NiaWolf.png

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge

The muscle of the team. Good old Mamo provides the immediate power to decimate some of the biggest threats to this team,including but not limited to Zapdos,Haxorus,Tentacruel,Landorus,Venusaur,Tyranitar,Gyarados,Heatran,Hippowdon,Chandelure,Volcarona to an extent,,Breloom,Virizion and Gliscor. Ice Shard is a great priority move that I can use to break Dragonite's Multiscale then proceed to KO. Icicle Crash is for when I need the raw power to muscle through slower theats like Conkeldurr,Breloom and Hippowdon. Snow Cloak helps me stand my own against the rare Hail team. Earthquake hits opposing Fire types on the switch and Stone Edge hits Volcarona and Gyarados hard as well as other flyers. Ive been thinking about switching to Jolly to outrun more threats and not have to count on Ice Shard so much,however,the drop in power will be noticeable.

I really don't understand the point of Mamoswine. You would take a Sun-boosted Fire Blast, Flamethrower, etc.

Please comment and make suggestions!

Comments in bold.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Wait, Dual dragon? Where's the second one 0.o However, I see boltbeam starmie running offense, (however they lack) tearing this in half. Maybe terrakion. I'll be back in a minute to finish the rate.

Charizard is the second "dragon".

As for Gliscor,ill give him a fair shot however I am very reluctant to replace Charizard,he hasnt let me down yet. And ill try Shadow Ball on Jelli. I was thinking about using Lilligant but I cant seem to find room for it on the team.
Thanks for the rates.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Your teams biggest threat is going to be Terrakion to my knowledge. For that reason, I'd actually suggest helping Jellicent out more on it's physical bulk to ensure a strong survival chance to pull off a successful Will-o-Wisp to cut Terrakion out of the picture. A Venusaur could also help. Even Gliscor has suitable utility to help you. I'd even try a test set of Donphan as a spinner (less vulnerable spinner in sunlight).

I don't discourage Charizard. This would be a nice team to test out for the Lost Heroes Challenge.

Keep in mind that Charizard will be severely limited to sweeping because of Stealth Rock. Forretress will go down eventually.

There are better spinner options, but Charizard isn't a terrible choice. It's a great Heatran counter (very common sun team counter) since it's immune to Earthpower, resistant to Lava Plume and neutral to HP Ice. Charizard also hits hard with a Focus Blast (providing it hits).

I wouldn't get too pushy on Charizard. The OP has voiced that they are reluctant to give up on Charizard, so it's in everyone's best interest to respect the OP's decision and work on solutions that include Charizard.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
As you can see Gliscor has been added to my team. Goodbye Terrakion!

Just hope no one mistakes him for a psuedo-dragon like Charizard.
Triple Dragon?? lol

Last edited:

WolfSpirit456

I wouldn't get too pushy on Charizard. The OP has voiced that they are reluctant to give up on Charizard, so it's in everyone's best interest to respect the OP's decision and work on solutions that include Charizard.
I wasn't trying to be pushy. Using Charizard makes the team look more original, which I fully support. My opinion is based on experience with sun teams.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Something to consider. Try Volt Switch over Gyro Ball on Forretress. Forretress isn't a very offensive choice and you may not really score noteable damage with gyro ball. This also strips you of having to go with a negative speed nature. Volt Switch will offer you some team momentum. It's worth a test or two to see how it goes.