• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Titles with Ire:

DP163: Fighting Ire with Fire!
SM136: Getting Down to the Ire!

Trey pokes

Just one more title left and then... the final 7 remain. I just hate that were nearing the end of the series, cuz it's so good.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It just feels bad we are only going to get something for the New Series around February
I hope they do the two-episode preview again after... The league ends
maybe it's because the new series so far isn't really advertising Galar in any way? so they thought it doesn't make sense to promote the SwSh games with it really

SerenaRulez

SM135: The Final Four!
Aidate: December 21

SM136: Getting Down to The Ire!
Airdate: December 28

I don't like the first title because it's not a clever joke or a pun just a simple title that tells dub fans what to expect, but the second title is much better. :)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don't like the first title because it's not a clever joke or a pun just a simple title that tells dub fans what to expect, but the second title is much better. :)
Yeah unfortunately starting in Gen V they stopped doing a pun title for EVERY episode, which they did from Gens II-IV

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
"Unfortunately"...
Between the fact that the original titles aren't puns anywhere near as often (I mean there defintely are plenty of punny titles in Japan, too, but it's not every episode) and the fact that non-English dubs have to work with these titles that only work in English and so end up with stuff that either sounds super weak or has to be rewritten entirely, I do not see this at all as a bad thing.

Trey pokes

My stance on Dub tittles has been to either be like the JP titles or similar enough without sounding completely different. Sometimes simpler titles also works best because yeah they do also have appeal to other international dubs which might not understand some of themore punnier-sounding ones.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I like pun titles. Especially when they’re based on actual things instead of jokes. Like “Hooked on Onyx” or “A League of His own” and “Dummy You Shrunk the Kids”.

Trey pokes

We still do get punny titles although admittedly, not enough and again none too kidsy-sounding like what we got back then.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Trey pokes said:
My stance on Dub tittles has been to either be like the JP titles or similar enough without sounding completely different. Sometimes simpler titles also works best because yeah they do also have appeal to other international dubs which might not understand some of themore punnier-sounding ones.

I'm of two minds. On one hand, I like dub titles that are more straight-forward and not puns or jokes because very few of them make me chuckle to begin with. But at the same time, I think that some creativity when it comes to dub titles can be a good thing especially if it's done to hide something obvious like a new capture or another plot point that might be a spoiler.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I like pun titles. Especially when they’re based on actual things instead of jokes. Like “Hooked on Onyx” or “A League of His own” and “Dummy You Shrunk the Kids”.
I will admit, "Dummy, You Shrunk the Kids!" is a much better title for that episode than "Satoshi Minimizes!" was.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
It's not new though
The title to the beginning of Indigo League was literally Round 1 Begin

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
"Unfortunately"...
Between the fact that the original titles aren't puns anywhere near as often (I mean there defintely are plenty of punny titles in Japan, too, but it's not every episode) and the fact that non-English dubs have to work with these titles that only work in English and so end up with stuff that either sounds super weak or has to be rewritten entirely, I do not see this at all as a bad thing.

Fair enough, but come on, "The Final Four" is super-boring. At least it's not as bad as BW40: Cilan vs. Trip! Ash vs. Georgia!! which is literally the worst title in the history of the show. When I hear that the Japanese has titles like this for almost every episode..................... wow let me just saw I'm glad I don't watch the Japanese lol. Some sort of weird directive definitely came from above between Gens IV and V with regards to dub titles lol, where Gen IV definitely had a pun title for every episode, and Gen V went so far in the opposite direction that many were literal Japanese translations, even to the point of having really long titles that took up the whole screen. I'm glad that now even though we don't always have pun titles, they aren't as literal as many were during Gen V, and furthermore that they are shorter.

I'm of two minds. On one hand, I like dub titles that are more straight-forward and not puns or jokes because very few of them make me chuckle to begin with. But at the same time, I think that some creativity when it comes to dub titles can be a good thing especially if it's done to hide something obvious like a new capture or another plot point that might be a spoiler.

Yes, a lot of Japanese titles are spoilery which is another reason I don't like the dub title directly translating. That's not to say that some dub titles aren't spoilery as well, like DP013: A Staravia Is Born! but at least that's few and far between, and furthermore, even the title in question I just mentioned is cute and punny

It's not new though
The title to the beginning of Indigo League was literally Round 1 Begin

Gen I is a horrible example since pretty much every title was straightforward. Gens II-IV are the true era of the pun titles, and would be better examples.