• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
In the end I think some are just way too mean about the Pokemon dub lol
And certain people who work on it (chief among them being Ed Goldfarb, James Carter Cathcart, Michele Knotz, and Laurie Hymes as of SM).

It works both ways. I've never understood why some fans are so steadfast on sticking to the Japanese names, even if they do primarily watch the show subbed. I say just as you would translate the regular Japanese words, you should "translate" the Japanese names as well.
It's just another part of sub purism that grates on the nerves of people who are aware of the fact that Japan is not the only country in the world.
In fact, if I were speaking one-on-one to someone from a non-English speaking country (whether I'm speaking that language or not), I'd use that language's terms and names (i.e. if I were talking to a German Pokemon fan about PMDE, I'd refer to Grovyle as "Reptain"). I switched to that because before then, I used to use English terms all the time, even when speaking Japanese to Japanese people. It was a terrible idea, so I eventually reverted to using Japanese terms when typing in Japanese. And like I said before, I'd do that if I were to converse with other international Pokemon fans (in one-on-one convos, that is; here, where more than half the userbase speaks English and this very site originated from an English-speaking country, and I'm speaking to tons of people at once, English terms it is).

Using one's own language terms is no crime. I'm not going to get on Tabasco Boshi's case for using Spain terms like referring to Plumeria as "Francine" in a Tweet that was in Spanish. But people like Dogasu using JP names when speaking English isn't so excusable since that's just coming out of mindless purism and lack of concern for the possibility that they could be confusing someone by using such terms. It's a discourtesy, plain and simple.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Is this the longest gap in recent years?

I said this a page ago, but Sun and Moon didn't start until May, after X and Y ended in January. We're not in unusual territory yet.

But yeah the virus is playing a big part in this imo and I would not be shocked to see the release of the dub as far into the year as September.

I'm sure they're months ahead on the dubbing, and choosing not to release yet for whatever marketing reason. I don't see things getting delayed. Maybe we might need a mid-season break later on, but they should be able to air a good chunk of the first season before needing to do that.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm sure they're months ahead on the dubbing, and choosing not to release yet for whatever marketing reason. I don't see things getting delayed. Maybe we might need a mid-season break later on, but they should be able to air a good chunk of the first season before needing to do that.
They may have a batch ready, but the chances that they can release more of them on a weekly basis are extremely slim.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Is this the longest gap in recent years?

Recent hiatuses:

between SM058 and SM059: 44 days
(May 19-July 2, 2018)

between SM043 and SM044: 105 days
(Dec 9,2017-Mar24,2018)

Current hiatus: March 7, 2020, to the present, is 39 days

List of all hiatuses between generations

between XY&Z47 and SM001: 111 days
(January 21-May 12, 2017)

between BWS2Da!20 and XY01: 42 days
(Dec 7,2013-Jan18,2014)

between DP191 and BW01: 7 days
(February 5-12, 2011) (NO HIATUS)

between AG192 and DP001: 92 days
(March 3-June 4, 2007)

between 274 and AG001: 7 days
(October 25-November 1, 2003) (NO HIATUS)

between 116 and 117: 0 days
(both aired on October 14, 2000) (NO HIATUS)

MY FINAL TAKE: of the 3 generations that had hiatuses between them, which were: A) between AG and DP, B) between BW and XY, C) between XY&Z and SM,
the lengths of those hiatuses were 92, 42, and most recently 111 days, the amount of time since SM146 aired is less than any of these hiatuses.

Additionally, two hiatuses within SM (44 days and 105 days) were longer than the curent hiatus has been so far.

Final analysis: This is not the longest gap in recent years.

Now, let's analyze why people are worried. I think it mostly comes from the fact that for XY and SM, a "special preview" of the first two episodes aired while the previous generation was still airing. XY's first two episodes aired just 2 days after Japan, and SM's about a month after Japan.

I think people are worried because the special preview didn't happen this time. But I personally don't think it's any reason to worry. I personally think it's just different because XY and SM were actually promoting the Kalos and Alola regions in their episodes, so they wanted the dub episodes to come out the same time as the games. With the PM anime not immediately promoting the Galar region in its first episodes, there was no reason to do the special preview of those episodes when SwSh came out. That's the only reason for that, not because we're not getting a dub or there's any problem with the dub.

Obviously the coronavirus pandemic could cause a problem for the dub, but in no way should that be read into as a sign that's we'll ever permanently stop getting a dub, and anyway as listed above, it is not even close to being that long of a hiatus so far.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I think people are worried because the special preview didn't happen this time.
And therefore no dub episode with 100% Japanese music, which is what they truly want.

And really, it's funny to see people be so "worried" about the dub. They never cared about it before, and once it does premiere they'll go right back to hating it for their myriad of invalid reasons.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They may have a batch ready, but the chances that they can release more of them on a weekly basis are extremely slim.

I don't see why it would be any different from all the other shows that are continuing on uninterrupted.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't see why it would be any different from all the other shows that are continuing on uninterrupted.
If you mean...

1) Other anime shows.
- They either have episodes ready or all of its voice cast can work remotely from home. By the way, this isn't easy apparently. The chances for a voice actor to make their own booth at home are slim unless they have the money and the resources. I'm not sure the Pokemon dub has a good budget, as seen as the horrendous dub music they use in place of the Japanese tracks. Moreover, it's very rare to see the likes of Sarah anywhere else, which is even worse.
- Some networks may mix things up releasing shows that have already completed their runs as temporary replacements.

2) Live action shows.
- That's very subjective. I'm pretty sure live action as a whole has stopped. However, those "late night shows" have all but been entirely replaced as one-man shows at home.

3) Cartoons.
- I'm not sure about this part myself. However, the likes of Disney and CN (for all things Teen Titans Go of course) sure can afford accommodations to get their own stuff going. (Disney does not get involved in Pokemon dubbing. Otherwise, the dub itself would have had top-notch quality by now. Just look at freakin' Amphibia. That thing has way too many celebrities voicing little frogs.)

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
And really, it's funny to see people be so "worried" about the dub. They never cared about it before, and once it does premiere they'll go right back to hating it for their myriad of invalid reasons.

Eh maybe. I think some people are definitely taking advantage of this topic to push their own agendas but not everyone here is a dub hater.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Not getting special previews is probably the best case scenario. Even if they're the only couple of non-butchered episodes of the generation. Because, after all, they're just a way to show us how the dub could be and not how it actually is. I prefer them to be transparent and do their own thing, even if I don't like it. I don't want false expectations.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If you mean...

1) Other anime shows.
- They either have episodes ready or all of its voice cast can work remotely from home. By the way, this isn't easy apparently. The chances for a voice actor to make their own booth at home are slim unless they have the money and the resources. I'm not sure the Pokemon dub has a good budget, as seen as the horrendous dub music they use in place of the Japanese tracks. Moreover, it's very rare to see the likes of Sarah anywhere else, which is even worse.
- Some networks may mix things up releasing shows that have already completed their runs as temporary replacements.

2) Live action shows.
- That's very subjective. I'm pretty sure live action as a whole has stopped. However, those "late night shows" have all but been entirely replaced as one-man shows at home.

3) Cartoons.
- I'm not sure about this part myself. However, the likes of Disney and CN (for all things Teen Titans Go of course) sure can afford accommodations to get their own stuff going. (Disney does not get involved in Pokemon dubbing. Otherwise, the dub itself would have had top-notch quality by now. Just look at freakin' Amphibia. That thing has way too many celebrities voicing little frogs.)

I was just referring to TV in general. All I have to go off of is what I personally watch and I don't really watch much else in the way of anime, so I don't know what's going on there, but the live action (mostly the DC shows on the CW) and cartoon shows I watch seem to be continuing as normal right now. I'm under the assumption that this is mostly due the them simply being made months ahead of schedule, so there's no need to stop premiering. It's my understanding that everything in the TV industry is done months ahead, and I don't know why Pokémon would be any different.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Seems the next season's title is "Pokémon Journeys".

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Literally the perfect title for a series that doesn't stick to just one region.
We still had:

Grand Tour (GT)
World Tour (WT)
Maybe even World Championship

Sappier titles the dub would use:

Adventures Across The World!! (notice double exclamation points for emphasis)
Hello, Friends!!
Go, Ash & Goalie!!
Ash & Pikachu's Adventures!!
World Championship Victors!!

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
"Pokemon Journies" Yeah, let's sit in Kanto for 10 episodes straight. What a journey! /s

Title is lame but at least GO isn't included