• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ouch. US can only watch it through Netflix? Did Disney not like having the series for one more saga?

If we continue getting them in batches while this pandemic goes on, we'll actually be on par with the Japanese release (assuming the Japanese releases don't move by then).

So all they changed about Go's name is simply adding a stinking "h" to it. I'm not sure I'm a fan of his voice. It's the usual voice an inexperienced adult tries to pass off as a 10-year old. With how excitable he sounds, it clashes hard with what we know about him.

RetroPokeFan

Interesting they’ve gone to Netflix, wonder if they’ll do weekly release since it’s now exclusive to them or will it be a load of episodes to stream
So Netflix is the new home for Pokémon eh? I guess the Mewtwo movie must have done pretty well for TPCI to decide to go to them.

Okay now I’m annoyed.....we in the UK have to wait till September 1st to watch it on POP. We better be included in the Netflix watch
This somewhat caught me by surprise. I guess CITV won't be airing the show anymore or they'll have to wait until later on before they can air it. Still stinks we have to wait for that long but alas it's just what we'll have to do especially in times like these.

I like Go’s voice, tbh. Is his name in the dub also still Go? What about Sakuragi and Koharu?

Professor Oak’s voice sounds really weird, though...the rest are ok. I’m liking Go’s voice the most, although it sounds kinda deep for a 10 year old.
Professor Oak is still James Carter Cathcart as is James and Meowth, same with Jessie and Ash. They were the ones that I knew were gonna most likely stay on. Professor sounds so dang similar to Matthew Mercer or at least someone who sounds like him.
Go’s name have been kept, but Sakuragi is named Cerise in the dub.

EDIT:
The Dub will premiere first in Canada on TELETOON on May 9th. Follwed by the American release on Netflix in June 12th, and the UK release on channel POP in September 1st.

Lucky Teletoon beating everyone to the punch again!

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Ouch. US can only watch it through Netflix? Did Disney not like having the series for one more saga?

If we continue getting them in batches while this pandemic goes on, we'll actually be on par with the Japanese release (assuming the Japanese releases don't move by then).

We're four and a half months away from reaching that point. I can't imagine we'll still be on hiatus then.

But this year's been a mess as-is, so who knows what'll happen.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Professor Oak is still James Carter Cathcart as is James and Meowth, same with Jessie and Ash. They were the ones that I knew were gonna most likely stay on. Professor sounds so dang similar to Matthew Mercer or at least someone who sounds like him.
If they really got Matthew Mercer, that would explain why they don't have the money to run it on Disney anymore. Ha ha.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Not sure how I feel about Go's voice yet
Also Goh? Srsly? I'll rather use Go.
Professor Cerise fits. Hoped the trailer or atleast character bios would give Koharu and the assistants their English names but oh well. Glad it's on Netflix and the way it's being released on batches. I hope shift to Netflix means better opening songs

OniCornwalis

I looked it up, and Professor Sakuragi’s dub name, Cerise, isn’t associated with a flower/tree. Instead it’s a “bright or deep red color” that’s associated with cherries. Basically Sakuragi’s dub name is Professor Cherry.

Go’s dub voice is pretty interesting. I wasn’t expecting that to be his voice, but it still fits him, unlike some past voices *cough* Lillie *cough*.

The only issue I have with the dub right now is that Ed Goldfarb, the music director for XY and SM, is returning. His scores for the past two series have been pretty bad, so I’m hoping that gets fixed for Journeys.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does anyone know who Go's dub VA is yet? It sounds like he's voiced by Zeno Robinson (the guy who voices Remy on Big City Greens).

OniCornwalis

If you mean something to the same caliber as the Japanese openings, that's impossible with Goldfarb around. They're using the same cast and whatnot.
The cast for the dub has been fine except for Lillie and Rotom-Dex in some cases. The cast shift happened in AG, way before the dub started going downhill in XY. I honestly think that Dawn’s dub voice was just as good as her Japanese voice.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Aye, I knew they would keep Go lol. And an h for some respect but whatever. I loved Go's voice as well and am pretty hyped tbh.

So that means we'll be on episode 36 by the end of the year. Not bad for being so late.

Nodqfan

So with it being exclusive to Netflix does that mean previous seasons will move there as well? (What I mean is like will they move from Hulu to Netflix and that will be the only place you could watch them?)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Netflix, huh? Shouldn't be too surprised.

If we're not on TV anymore, does this mean we won't be forced to have 30 second long openings? I'd like a good opening again. It's been awhile.
If you mean something to the same caliber as the Japanese openings, that's impossible with Goldfarb around. They're using the same cast and whatnot.

I highly doubt there's even going to be a Japanese voice over option for the West.

According to @theworldofkevinc on his twitter account here: https://twitter.com/pkmndub/status/1253350054573879297?s=20

not Goldfarb for theme song

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
So if the new series is only on Netflix, does that mean Disney lost the distribution rights to Pokémon?

Normally, it would be a good thing that Disney actually lost the rights to something for once, but the one good thing about the partnership was that the DisneyNOW app has every dubbed Pokémon episode from OS to now, making it so much easier to watch them.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So if the new series is only on Netflix, does that mean Disney lost the distribution rights to Pokémon?

Normally, it would be a good thing that Disney actually lost the rights to something for once, but the one good thing about the partnership was that the DisneyNOW app has every dubbed Pokémon episode from OS to now, making it so much easier to watch them.
I'm not exactly sure Disney lost the rights. It's too stinking rich that it could buy anything it wants. It surely dropped the series for some reason.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I looked it up, and Professor Sakuragi’s dub name, Cerise, isn’t associated with a flower/tree. Instead it’s a “bright or deep red color” that’s associated with cherries. Basically Sakuragi’s dub name is Professor Cherry.
That's perfect since "sakuragi" is just "cherry blossom tree" in Japanese.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

Go’s dub voice is pretty interesting. I wasn’t expecting that to be his voice, but it still fits him, unlike some past voices *cough* Lillie *cough*.

The only issue I have with the dub right now is that Ed Goldfarb, the music director for XY and SM, is returning. His scores for the past two series have been pretty bad, so I’m hoping that gets fixed for Journeys.

That's perfect since "sakuragi" is just "cherry blossom tree" in Japanese.
They could use "Cherry" for Koharu's dub name since her design has more prominent cherry blossom elements

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC

I didn't watch XY much but I think his score for XY was a bit more decent compared to SM