• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I’m actually kind of happy they didn’t because if they didn’t play their cards right with the accents it would have boarded on Ni no Kuni (the film, not the games) levels of bad. Just listen to Kyle McCarley’s Welsh accent in it and you’ll never want to sleep again.

The dub title card uses the next episode preview footage seen at the end. The actual intro (the Pikachu/Pokéball one) is the episode title card intro in Japan but instead they used it for the Netflix Original Series banner.

Interesting.. Is this the first time the dub and original have different title cards?

A question for my fellow dub watchers. I'm debating right now if I should just watch one new episode a week, or if I should watch them all at once. On one hand, I hate the idea of going several months without any new Pokémon episodes, but on the other, it already sucks enough being so far behind the Japanese version, and I would hate to feel perpetually behind on the dub as well. What are you guys doing?

My lord, I hate this airing schedule...

I've watched the first 4 and plan to watch the rest this weekend.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Joy joins Giovanni on getting her OG voice actor back, though granted he got his back pretty darn quick lol

Shame they couldn't do this sort of thing with the original Ash actress and the Mewtwo remake disaster...

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Jesus Christ, as much as I miss the old voices, it’s amazing to see people STILL upset with the current voices today.

I am happy Wayne Grayson is back voicing Lance, but I am much happier that his Lance voice isn’t like his 4Kids’ version. My big problem with the 4Kids dub was that most of the VAs hardly sound any different than the other characters they voice in other shows. Lance back then sounded too similar to Joey Wheeler. Eric Stuart did a fine job but I can hear his voice in pretty much every 4Kids dubbed shows that it’s stands out so much.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Sarah's too ingrained into the seat she took so casually from Veronica. It's safe to say she's never letting go of it...seeing as that is apparently the only role she works on anime right now.
Does Rica Matsumoto do other roles?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Think I decided to do one episode week. I just can't stand the idea of waiting several months in between new episodes. It's infuriating. I honestly wonder why they thought this was a good release schedule.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Think I decided to do one episode week. I just can't stand the idea of waiting several months in between new episodes. It's infuriating. I honestly wonder why they thought this was a good release schedule.
Methinks they sacrificed their budget hiring actually pretty good VAs which is why they can't show this on cable anymore.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Methinks they sacrificed their budget hiring actually pretty good VAs which is why they can't show this on cable anymore.

Seeing as I've never minded the voice actors, if that is the case, the choice disappoints me immensely.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
But they're still on cable in other countries

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'd rather have this format than the weekly format tbh since i don't really care for the dub, and the Pokemon anime in general that much anymore and there's better things for me to use my time for.

It's the same amount of time either way

RetroPokeFan

And thus silence fell...

Pokemon being on Netflix is great and all but the fact that dub-wise everything has gone super quiet kinda makes me miss when the dub was on weekly and there would barely be a speck of silence, but alas this is the price we must pay when a dubbed show moves to Netflix.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
And thus silence fell...

Pokemon being on Netflix is great and all but the fact that dub-wise everything has gone super quiet kinda makes me miss when the dub was on weekly and there would barely be a speck of silence, but alas this is the price we must pay when a dubbed show moves to Netflix.
Um, every batch of episodes is released every three months. Every batch is 12 episodes. We still get the same rate of episodes.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Um, every batch of episodes is released every three months. Every batch is 12 episodes. We still get the same rate of episodes.
He's talking about how the conversation just stops dude. It's true, you know. There are other examples of weekly airing causing constant discussion over a show compared to Netflix binge-drop. Compare Game of Thrones to Stranger Things for example. Both shows watched by millions, and yet, during every season of Game of Thrones, the conversation was much more and lasted longer than the conversation around Stranger Things. Why? Because everyone watches Stranger Things in one week and then it's over. For Game of Thrones, every week, there would be something new to discuss and new theories to break down.

Now, everyone's finished the 12 episodes, we've talked about them, we've finished talking about them in just 3-4 weeks, and now we have to wait at least 8 more weeks for new episodes. The pace may be the same, the pace of conversation isn't. It's wildly different.

And btw, don't reply to this saying you haven't watched Game of Thrones or Stranger Things. For what it's worth, I've never watched Stranger Things either, and I still follow pop culture trends and news enough to know that what I said is true -- I only hear about Stranger Things each year for like 2-3 weeks as soon as it comes out, then don't hear about it for another year. That's what I'm talking about, not whether you've actually watched the show or not. I say this bc you frequently reply saying that you haven't watched something, as if that invalidates my claim.

I both agree and disagree with @RetroPokeFan. It was actually nicer in many ways to get so many episodes at once. Considering how weak episodes 1-9 were, I can't imagine sitting through those for 9 weeks before getting to the good stuff. I might have even given up on the series. As I've posted in one of the episode threads (maybe episode 12, I think) this was the first beginning of a series that I've absolutely hated. I've never given up on Pokémon in 22 years, was I going to give up now? I was close, let me tell you. Fortunately not since 10-12 saved it. However, if I had had to sit through those 9 episodes for 9 weeks instead of a few days? It's possible, sadly. So, in that sense, I am happy it came all at once.

At the same time, I totally agree that it stinks that the conversation has ended. I usually spend almost the whole week discussing the last episode, and then moving onto the next episode. Now, I've pretty much discussed all there is to about the 12 episodes, and I'm less interested in the forum that I usually am. I think that's all @RetroPokeFan is saying. He's not saying that the mathematically defined pace of episode release has changed. Your mathematical analysis isn't apropos to his point.