• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

SerGoldenhandtheJust

#Dracovish2021 Y'all don't get to bully the fish
Yeeeaaah, let's not piss off people more with that certain pair of characters around for much longer... Not to mention that would have been really fishy favoritism over even Lance.
Those people are a minority tho, most people were hyped for those certain characters to return again after a long time and they had more impact than Lance in the anime, making it two parter to properly execute the plot would be desirable even if it means more screentime

AuraChannelerChris

It's potion time!
You're pushing yourself as a big Paranoia Agent fanatic and you still think you can critique execution?
...I'm...not sure what makes you think I'm a big Paranoia Agent fanatic only because I just chose an avatar and signature about it. I just liked it.

Heaven forbid I had an animal avatar and people would call me a furry (not saying internet furries are bad).

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It sucks that it cuts off right before ep25 considering how hype it is. Honestly judging by the timelines it should be 13 episodes per batch anyway
Here's some math for you.

Johto: 52 episodes a year (156 divided by 3)
AG: 48 episodes a year (192 divided by 4)
DP: 48 episodes a year (191 divided by 4)
BW: 47 episodes a year (142 divided by 3)
XY: 47 episodes a year (93 divided by 2)
XY&Z: 47 episodes
SM: 49 episodes a year (146 divided by 3)

If we were back in Johto, I would agree with you. They were doing 52 episodes a year. 13 a quarter would make sense. It's clear however that for the last 18 years the anime has done 47-49 episodes a year, so I think 12 per quarter, averaging 48 a year, makes total sense.

Not to mention that specifically in the case of Journeys, it was interrupted for several weeks in Japan due to coronavirus, so the first year is going to have significantly less than the normal number of episodes anyway. Makes me wonder actually, since the anime releases are forced to be synced up with game releases, if the first Gen IX game comes out fall 2022, is the Journeys anime gonna be forced to be closer to 130 than 140 episodes due to the hiatus in 2020?

dman_dustin

It sucks that it cuts off right before ep25 considering how hype it is. Honestly judging by the timelines it should be 13 episodes per batch anyway
Yeah I'm really hoping they squeeze episode 25 into the mix, then perhaps the next batch will have 11 or something. Though I don't know exactly how they are dubbing the series to make this happen. It was 208 days down to 124 days for the first batch (don't want to do the math on the 2nd batch but probably close to the same amount with exception to the beginning episodes since it'll go beyond that 208 days since it's been 208 already for episode 13.

But if they include episode 25, I would expect them to maybe take some more time, and wait until the actual series pumps a good amount, which would mean episode 25 would be a great place to end the 2nd batch. Especially given what will be the first episode of the 2nd batch.

I mean if it is just episode 24, and they are doing 12 episodes a batch. Then the next batch would have to end at episode 36. So they actually can always keep the 12 episode it seems every 3 months or so, which means the 3rd batch to episode 36 will likely be released on Decemeber 11th potentially. And that means we would be at 50 episodes (if every week releases an episode from this point forward), in the original Pokemon 2019 series. But that would mean the 4th batch in March would only go to episode 48, not sure if they would leave out the last two episodes of the 2020 year, but I guess dub wise the airdate of those episodes don't matter.

So they can do it, at 12 episodes every 3 months it looks like. Kind of makes you wonder what the last batch is going to look like, will it be 12 episodes or could it be more, or will it be as low a 6 episodes? I feel like the dub might have a good idea of how many episodes it will be if they are doing 12 episodes every 3 months.

But this of course is if everything happens as normal and we don't suddenly get a hiatus from the Pokemon 2019 series (from Japan) or even a larger hiatus in regards to the dub.

I would like to know how the original hiatus for the pandemic affected the dubbing in regards to the 2nd batch. Because at least 2 episodes from the hiatus should be included in this batch. Which also explains why the 13th episode will surpass the first batch in regards to the 1st episode given the month and half approximately hiatus. Which means the plans to release the 2nd batch probably originally would've probably come out around this time. since we lost 7 episodes of time because of the hiatus. Which mean we would have been about episode 39 right about now if we didn't have a pandemic to deal with or if it didn't result in a hiatus.

Not to mention that specifically in the case of Journeys, it was interrupted for several weeks in Japan due to coronavirus, so the first year is going to have significantly less than the normal number of episodes anyway. Makes me wonder actually, since the anime releases are forced to be synced up with game releases, if the first Gen IX game comes out fall 2022, is the Journeys anime gonna be forced to be closer to 130 than 140 episodes due to the hiatus in 2020?
If they really want a holiday release for 9th generation then they should just wait until the following year, otherwise I'd hate to lose 7 episodes and potentially more just because of the hiatus. Or release 9th generation at the original planned release time, and just have the anime come to the 9th generation on their own terms (with 9th generation anime stuff happening 7 weeks later or so).

What would make it better is if they did what they originally did, and released Pokemon of a future generation into the anime. Maybe the last 7 weeks of Pokemon 2019 anime will heavily revolve around 9th generation Pokemon to showcase those Pokemon before heading into the new series.

And if they continue this world series into 9th generation, they don't even need to transition immediately into into the new generation like they've done before. If Ash continues in 9th generation and Go doesn't, then just have Go be a recurring character for those seven episodes, then give Ash a new companion. If Go is the head protagonist then have Ash be a recurring character for those 7 episodes then perhaps a timeskip.

With a world series if it continues into 9th generation they don't have to sacrifice anything. If they're going to do a clean wipe like other generation I can definitely see that as an issue.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

#Dracovish2021 Y'all don't get to bully the fish
Here's some math for you.

Johto: 52 episodes a year (156 divided by 3)
AG: 48 episodes a year (192 divided by 4)
DP: 48 episodes a year (191 divided by 4)
BW: 47 episodes a year (142 divided by 3)
XY: 47 episodes a year (93 divided by 2)
XY&Z: 47 episodes
SM: 49 episodes a year (146 divided by 3)

If we were back in Johto, I would agree with you. They were doing 52 episodes a year. 13 a quarter would make sense. It's clear however that for the last 18 years the anime has done 47-49 episodes a year, so I think 12 per quarter, averaging 48 a year, makes total sense.

But Pokémon Journeys started in June when normally new seasons would start in April or may I believe, so 13 episodes to me makes more sense.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
But Pokémon Journeys started in June when normally new seasons would start in April or may I believe, so 13 episodes to me makes more sense.
Yeah but it just came at the end of the quarter rather than the beginning. You're right, the last 2 seasons started in March, but episode 12 came out in June. It's not about when episode 1 came out, it's when episode 12 came out.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I mean if it is just episode 24, and they are doing 12 episodes a batch. Then the next batch would have to end at episode 36. So they actually can always keep the 12 episode it seems every 3 months or so, which means the 3rd batch to episode 36 will likely be released on Decemeber 11th potentially. And that means we would be at 50 episodes (if every week releases an episode from this point forward), in the original Pokemon 2019 series. But that would mean the 4th batch in March would only go to episode 48, not sure if they would leave out the last two episodes of the 2020 year, but I guess dub wise the airdate of those episodes don't matter.
Each year of the Pokémon anime starts in Sept/Oct/Nov (whenever that generation starts) not in December. So the "first year of Journeys" will end in November not December. Not that it matters for Japan, since they don't do seasons in the traditional sense (just change the opening sometimes, which doesn't even usually match up to when the dub changes openings) except for rare cases like BWS2, BWS2N, BWS2Da!, and XY&Z. But if you're gonna count all the episodes in 2020 and say all of them should happen in Journeys Season 1 (dub) then that's actually more than a year since it's Nov 2019-Dec 2020

dman_dustin

Each year of the Pokémon anime starts in Sept/Oct/Nov (whenever that generation starts) not in December. So the "first year of Journeys" will end in November not December. Not that it matters for Japan, since they don't do seasons in the traditional sense (just change the opening sometimes, which doesn't even usually match up to when the dub changes openings) except for rare cases like BWS2, BWS2N, BWS2Da!, and XY&Z. But if you're gonna count all the episodes in 2020 and say all of them should happen in Journeys Season 1 (dub) then that's actually more than a year since it's Nov 2019-Dec 2020
But if they're doing 12 episodes, THEY have to include the December episodes into the following batch. It's really hard to make that point if they are consistently doing 12 episodes per batch. This is the first time the dub has done this in that context we cannot use any past formula. Because either the season will be about 10-12 episodes short not in context with what you're saying about November, the DUB cannot do what they've done before. Unless your saying the final batch of a series might be only 8 episodes for example.

It would make more sense, to have a full 12 episode batch then the following batch of episodes which might take longer, would be for the new season or the new dub opening. Which means a season might have more than 48-52 episodes if that's what the number comes out to be.

In context with other things for Japanese and potential 9th generation and the last episodes of 8th generation anime (if such a thing exists) in context with the Hiatus.:
What I also meant for Japan was that the next generations games and the anime are pretty locked with each other, with some exceptions well for pretty obvious reasons (new franchise after all)

1st Gen was released on February 27th 1996
1st Generation anime was realeased on April 1st 1997

2nd generation was released on November 21st, 1999
2nd generation anime came out if we count episode 117 as the first 2nd generation episode (being Johto related)

3rd generation November 21st 2002
3rd generation anime was November 21st 2002 (since that was the proper Hoenn plot episode).

4th generation September 28th 2006
4th generation September 28th 2006

5th generation September 18th 2010
5th generation anime September 23rd, 2010

6th generation October 12th 2013
6th generation anime October 17th 2013

7th generation November 18th 2016
7th generation anime November 17th 2016

8th generation November 15th 2019
8th generation: Technically November 17th 2019, but you can argue it was more like November 24th 2019 for the PROPER series introduction.

As you can see outside of 1st and 2nd generation they've been pretty matched.

So it's hard to know how they'll handle the actual anime in context with the 9th generation games. Every generation anime has been a clean sweep, therefore in the past they would've had to cut out 7 episodes for the 7 weeks they lost due to the hiatus from the pandemic. If 9th generation anime IS a direct continuation of 8th generation anime, as in seamless than of course they don't need to cut out 7 epsiodes.

And on top of that from a game perspective, they may want to hold off however long production was halted during that hiatus, which would obviously be different than the anime production. So 9th generation could be booted till January or maybe even February, or they'll add a whole other year of development for 9th generation forcing the anime to make a whole other year of episodes, definitely making up those 7 episodes.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
But if they're doing 12 episodes, THEY have to include the December episodes into the following batch. It's really hard to make that point if they are consistently doing 12 episodes per batch. This is the first time the dub has done this in that context we cannot use any past formula. Because either the season will be about 10-12 episodes short not in context with what you're saying about November, the DUB cannot do what they've done before. Unless your saying the final batch of a series might be only 8 episodes for example.

It would make more sense, to have a full 12 episode batch then the following batch of episodes which might take longer, would be for the new season or the new dub opening. Which means a season might have more than 48-52 episodes if that's what the number comes out to be.

In context with other things for Japanese and potential 9th generation and the last episodes of 8th generation anime (if such a thing exists) in context with the Hiatus.:
I think this is just a doubly weird year. The dub changing the airing to these batches, and the hiatus due to coronavirus. Both are unrelated things, but because they both happened the same year, it's confusing. I agree that if the December 2020 Japanese episodes are episode numbers less than 48 (the average episodes a year since AG) because of the hiatus, then they would have to be in batch 4.

dman_dustin

I think this is just a doubly weird year. The dub changing the airing to these batches, and the hiatus due to coronavirus. Both are unrelated things, but because they both happened the same year, it's confusing. I agree that if the December 2020 Japanese episodes are episode numbers less than 48 (the average episodes a year since AG) because of the hiatus, then they would have to be in batch 4.
If we do the math a bit right.

3rd batch comes out to be episode 36.
4th batch would come out to 48 if they are doing 12 episodes. That actually would come out to be November 29th which seems to work which mean the potential 2-4 episodes of December would be in the 5th batch.

But the first season of Sun and Moon episode ended on episode 43 which then makes it difficult if they would include the few or all of the December episodes.

Again I don't know the context of the dubbing, there maybe a reason for why the episodes had like a 48 episode seasons. Which would work out. But I also think it depends on how the dub gets these episodes. Do they only get the November episodes in the context of dubbing them, and then when they are done and have that be finalized or too far into production is when they get the December episodes?

If December only has 2 episodes (accounting for two weeks of breaks), they have episode 25 into the 2nd batch (so that's 13 episodes) that would mean then the 4th batch would only have 11 episodes, if you give batch three another 13 episodes that means batch 4 only has 10 episodes which would be able to include the December episodes.

Either the hiatus allowed the Dub to magically work out 48 episodes a season this generation with episode 48 being the last November episode but of course in reality we should've been already at episode 39 by this week's time, which means that we would've had about 55 episodes for both the year of 2019/2020.

Episode 43 would've aired September 6th if there were no breaks at all. Which means episode 48 would've aired October 11th potentially, so that means that would've been the 4th batch which means that it only would've gone to October epsiode., but then the 5th batch would've had to include the rest of the season including some of the next year's episodes for a 12.

So I guess I'll have to concede here. 48 ends now in the November, so they don't have to include December episodes in that batch. Whereas originally it wouldn't have mattered because 48 would've ended in October, and thus the rest of year would've easily been included in the 5th batch which would've likely been a new season.

But I do have to wonder since 48 is timing up WITH November 29th (if there's no breaks of course), and there's only two December epsiodes wouldn't they just include it, since episode 50 would've been likely the last October.

I just don't know how they're doing the dubbing or how they are getting the episodes. I don't know if they are getting them quarterly as it were where because of the Hiatus they would get the December episodes (49-52) or do they GET straight up 48 episodes (well not all at once obviously, but the last episode they get to dub the next batch ends in episode 48) so they can ignore the December episodes, until they get to doing the next season thus maybe it sits an email or something.

It would really HELP to know exactly how they are given the episodes. If its like the past they definitely get the episodes before the actual episode airs in Japan (so I assume when the episode is fully finished and completed), but is it weekly based or do the Japanese wait for a few episodes to be finished and then give them to the dub production team.

Ultimately whatever happens will happen, either the 4th batch will only include episode 48 the last November episodes if they are strictly sticking to a 12 episode release. Or they might decide to alter it a bit due to the actual content of the episodes, but I won't get into that because of spoilers. I just assume the dub would've already be in possession of episode 25 because it most definitely was likely to air before the hiatus stopped the episodes at 22, since the series resumed with 23 on June after a month and half break.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I hope it's at least 13 this time, 25 is the best episode of the saga and I've been wanting that one dubbed.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
If we do the math a bit right.

3rd batch comes out to be episode 36.
4th batch would come out to 48 if they are doing 12 episodes. That actually would come out to be November 29th which seems to work which mean the potential 2-4 episodes of December would be in the 5th batch.

But the first season of Sun and Moon episode ended on episode 43 which then makes it difficult if they would include the few or all of the December episodes.

Again I don't know the context of the dubbing, there maybe a reason for why the episodes had like a 48 episode seasons. Which would work out. But I also think it depends on how the dub gets these episodes. Do they only get the November episodes in the context of dubbing them, and then when they are done and have that be finalized or too far into production is when they get the December episodes?

If December only has 2 episodes (accounting for two weeks of breaks), they have episode 25 into the 2nd batch (so that's 13 episodes) that would mean then the 4th batch would only have 11 episodes, if you give batch three another 13 episodes that means batch 4 only has 10 episodes which would be able to include the December episodes.

Either the hiatus allowed the Dub to magically work out 48 episodes a season this generation with episode 48 being the last November episode but of course in reality we should've been already at episode 39 by this week's time, which means that we would've had about 55 episodes for both the year of 2019/2020.

Episode 43 would've aired September 6th if there were no breaks at all. Which means episode 48 would've aired October 11th potentially, so that means that would've been the 4th batch which means that it only would've gone to October epsiode., but then the 5th batch would've had to include the rest of the season including some of the next year's episodes for a 12.

So I guess I'll have to concede here. 48 ends now in the November, so they don't have to include December episodes in that batch. Whereas originally it wouldn't have mattered because 48 would've ended in October, and thus the rest of year would've easily been included in the 5th batch which would've likely been a new season.

But I do have to wonder since 48 is timing up WITH November 29th (if there's no breaks of course), and there's only two December epsiodes wouldn't they just include it, since episode 50 would've been likely the last October.

I just don't know how they're doing the dubbing or how they are getting the episodes. I don't know if they are getting them quarterly as it were where because of the Hiatus they would get the December episodes (49-52) or do they GET straight up 48 episodes (well not all at once obviously, but the last episode they get to dub the next batch ends in episode 48) so they can ignore the December episodes, until they get to doing the next season thus maybe it sits an email or something.

It would really HELP to know exactly how they are given the episodes. If its like the past they definitely get the episodes before the actual episode airs in Japan (so I assume when the episode is fully finished and completed), but is it weekly based or do the Japanese wait for a few episodes to be finished and then give them to the dub production team.

Ultimately whatever happens will happen, either the 4th batch will only include episode 48 the last November episodes if they are strictly sticking to a 12 episode release. Or they might decide to alter it a bit due to the actual content of the episodes, but I won't get into that because of spoilers. I just assume the dub would've already be in possession of episode 25 because it most definitely was likely to air before the hiatus stopped the episodes at 22, since the series resumed with 23 on June after a month and half break.
Not gonna lie, if anything I almost expect the first 4 batches to total LESS than 48 episodes not more. After all, the first year of this anime is going to have less than 48 episodes. (when I say the first year, I mean the first 365 days since episode 1 aired, which would end on November 15, 2020)

Super excited for Part 2!

Rob Morrison (or Roger Callagy), Rotom Dex's VA, should return as Poliwrath and if the dub notices the continuity one of the Matori Matrix Grunts

Abe Goldfarb, Kukui's VA could return to voice Electrode, since he was Voltorb in SM.

Jake Paque should return as Skarmory

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I have been pre-preparing dub cast lists for this batch for pkmndub and nothing is too exciting from what we know so far. Obviously COTDs might have some new cool voices but its more or less the same in actors we do know.

Rob Morrison (or Roger Callagy), Rotom Dex's VA, should return as Poliwrath and if the dub notices the continuity one of the Matori Matrix Grunts

Abe Goldfarb, Kukui's VA could return to voice Electrode, since he was Voltorb in SM.

Jake Paque should return as Skarmory
What is Abe's relationship to Ed?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan