• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

KungFuMaster

KungFu Zen Mode
Hmm...XY was OK as a dub, XYZ on the other hand...but then again XYZ took itself more seriously.

SM (right now) looks to be lighter, so it may be OK (at least the dub itself).

Certainly seems like TPCi just don't care anymore.

Im used to watch in raw Japanese anyway (eventhough I understand none of it). IMO the first two episodes of SM dub weren't that bad but cmmn, this opening sounds like an ice cream car would play all day long in my street :p

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Im used to watch in raw Japanese anyway (eventhough I understand none of it). IMO the first two episodes of SM dub weren't that bad but cmmn, this opening sounds like an ice cream car would play all day long in my street :p

Same, I prefer watching anime that way anyway.

It's now a guilty pleasure of mine...at least it's on repeat in my browser.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I really miss when David Rolfe used to do the openings for the dub.

Anyway, I think the lyrics and melody/rhythm is ok (fits the atmosphere), but I don't like the vocals too much. I've seen worse openings though.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Think my biggest problem with it is that there is no sign of Tapu Koko and it's the one Pokemon that's had the most influence on Ash (from Alola anyway).

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
So it's true that the english dub gets worse every season?

I'm afraid I have to say that it does. The XYZ dub opening (Stand Tall) made me feel cringy but this one is definitely a new low for me.

From what I could hear:

I could get used to this heat on my skin
I can feel every day, I'm a little bit stronger
I only wish each day was longer (Yeah!)

We're having fun in the sun (the Alolan sun!)
Week after week
It's just like we're on vacation

Yeah! Now our journey's begun,
Friends 'til the end
Number one's our destination

Under the Alolan sun
Pokémon!

Funnily enough, you ain't on a journey Ash, neither are you on vacation while in school lol

You said it. Those lyrics are so unsuitable because he's holed up in a school and not travelling all over Alola other than to do the trials, definitely bad lyric writing on TPCi's part.

Now my thoughts - when I heard this new opening I was like "oh crap, another stupid dub OP" but this one definitely felt worse than the XY dub OPs and even BW's for that matter. The vocals feel out of place, and then there's Frozocrone's point about the lyrics being unfitting.

This dub OP is already adding to my many turn-offs of the SM anime. First, I hate the school setting and focus on slapstick because I feel those are part of an attempt to copy Yo-Kai Watch. Second is Ash's redesign, which has made him look like an ugly dork whose outfit also feels very lazily designed (it's the exact same design as the SM male player's outfit, except for the shirt colours being inverted and the hat colour being different). Third is well, the art design in general.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It's funny how much people are overreacting to a dub opening. It's like the saltiness of Ash losing against Alan in the league finals all over again lol

Vipsoccermaster

It's funny how much people are overreacting to a dub opening. It's like the saltiness of Ash losing against Alan in the league finals all over again lol
Some people will likely get over it as the season goes on. For myself, I'm completely indifferent about the dub openings, be it good or bad. The actual episodes is where the meat is, not the opening.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
It's funny how much people are overreacting to a dub opening.

I ain't trying to be mean or anything, but some people have standards.

If they really didn't want to try they could have went with something super cheesy, like Diamond and Pearl's first opening.

Vipsoccermaster

Might have been an error. That episode image isn't new; the image was from the first episode of the season that was already aired back in early December 2016. It's still a while before we get started on the third episode of the season in the English dub.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
So guys i was watching Yokai Watch, when this popped up, i hope they mean actual new episode and not rerun

http://imgur.com/a/Riv2a

Might have been an error. That episode image isn't new; the image was from the first episode of the season that was already aired back in early December 2016. It's still a while before we get started on the third episode of the season in the English dub.

Pretty sure that's an error given my TV guide still says XY. If they don't end up running concurrently, we won't get any new Sun/Moon episodes 'til around June, during which time they'll desperately be trying to figure out Team Rocket's new motto.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Pretty sure that's an error given my TV guide still says XY. If they don't end up running concurrently, we won't get any new Sun/Moon episodes 'til around June, during which time they'll desperately be trying to figure out Team Rocket's new motto.

Arceus, I hope not..... the days of the dub being a year behind the sub back in the day was just annoying.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Arceus, I hope not..... the days of the dub being a year behind the sub back in the day was just annoying.

Agreed. I'd rather see SM air weekly alongside with XY/XYZ running on weekdays instead of waiting until June and bomb like half of the season until the next long hiatus. I guess I could stand like a week of new episodes starting some time in April before going back to a weekly schedule for SM episodes, but I'd rather not have any longer than that. The bombing format just sounds annoying and too inconsistent for me.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Agreed. I'd rather see SM air weekly alongside with XY/XYZ running on weekdays instead of waiting until June and bomb like half of the season until the next long hiatus. I guess I could stand like a week of new episodes starting some time in April before going back to a weekly schedule for SM episodes, but I'd rather not have any longer than that. The bombing format just sounds annoying and too inconsistent for me.

I was going by the assumption that they'd run one new episode per day. With 140 episodes of XY, 7 episodes a week would give 20 weeks, which as I said, puts us at June for Sun/Moon episodes. It's not that I want this to happen, I can just see it ending up as what happens. I'd be perfectly fine with them starting Sun/Moon early. Maybe they'll start Sun/Moon on the anime's 20th anniversary. It's the perfect time for it on Saturday mornings and since their current ratings darling (Star [I love Star but dear me do they play it constantly]) is on season break, it'd give Pokémon its own spotlight.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
. With 140 episodes of XY, 7 episodes a week would give 20 weeks, which as I said, puts us at June for Sun/Moon episodes. .

Actually, they're only at a pace of 6 episodes a week. The 6 "new" episodes a week are Mon-Fri at 4, and Sat 9am. The Sat&Sun7:30pm airings are "re-reairs" of the Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

So this Friday is episode 24 and Saturday morning is 25. That means Saturday night is also episode 24 and Sunday night is episode 25.

A proof of this 6-episodes-a-week rate is seen in the fact that episode 1 aired on Sat 2/11, and 4 weeks later episode 25 is airing on Sat 3/11.

By my calculations this should take us to late July before SM.

TheWanderingMist

Actually, they're only at a pace of 6 episodes a week. The 6 "new" episodes a week are Mon-Fri at 4, and Sat 9am. The Sat&Sun7:30pm airings are "re-reairs" of the Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

So this Friday is episode 24 and Saturday morning is 25. That means Saturday night is also episode 24 and Sunday night is episode 25.

A proof of this 6-episodes-a-week rate is seen in the fact that episode 1 aired on Sat 2/11, and 4 weeks later episode 25 is airing on Sat 3/11.

By my calculations this should take us to late July before SM.

Oh, I see that you are correct in your 6 episodes per week. That racks on an extra 3.333 weeks to my original estimation. I hope, however, that we only end up having 70 or so days between them. At parts of XY, there were 51 days between airings. Plus, it might air daily here in America rather than weekly, at least for a while.