• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Good for you! You'll be able to relieve that childhood moment again!

Also, I think SM43 (which is still untitled and lacks an air date) may be the last episode for the first season of Pokémon The Series: Sun and Moon. According to Eddy Lee, the English voice actor for Gladion, claims that SM44 will be the first episode of the second season. Unknown when that will start airing, but it looks like the United States may be in for the usual break between seasons.

Source

I hope not, it's finally under 10 episodes apart from the dub again.
I like not having to wait a solid three months to see a Team Rocket focused episode dubbed.
Ducktales or some other crap is sure to hog a weekend again anyways.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Vipsoccermaster

https://twitter.com/edgoldfarbmusic/status/926222072753336320

I have my ticket for Monday already, but now I wish I had waited! I would have for sure preferred to have gone on a Saturday!

Certainly what this means though is that the first two dates this weekend must have sold well
Well, the first two screenings has a special Pikachu for a QR Code for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, but all future screenings after Monday, November 6, 2017 will not have the special Pikachu. You lucked out.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Well, the first two screenings has a special Pikachu for a QR Code for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, but all future screenings after Monday, November 6, 2017 will not have the special Pikachu. You lucked out.

Oh wow I didn't even know that lol

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
So I heard they didn't keep like 99% of the Japanese OST in the dub

SMH. Why do they still do this. This version of the movie will be the first released to the general public, but it'll be inferior as heck. They still do this even for the 20th Anniversary...

Guess I'll have to wait until the Japanese DVD release.

Last edited:

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Especially since I heard the Original Movie has remixed not only Kanto tracks, but also from Hoenn/Sinnoh etc. Really wanted to hear them.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Just got back from the cinema after watching this. I'll be completely honest, I went in with low expectations, after all Pokemon movies over the last 5 years have been awful. Plus it had a lot of things I didn't like the idea of, No Brock or Misty, Piplup being owned by Verity, no Gary......

But, I thoroughly enjoyed it, its the best pokemon film in the last couple of years, very entertaining, and I loved the easter eggs throughout.
Like being able to see a map of Unova in Oak's lab, the beginning match in the league that Ash watches on television being between the 2 trainers who made it to Mewtwo's island in the first film, Agatha's cameo, Cynthia's cameo.

And actually in fairness to Verity and Sorrel, they weren't bad characters either, Verity had a glimmer of previous female companions, like Iris' personality, being a water type trainer, owning Piplup and being from Twinleaf town. Sorrel was quite bland, but then we got a pretty saddening backstory to him and I that sort of changed my mind about him.

Once you accept that its an alternate universe, then its a pretty enjoyable film and retelling, a good celebration of nostalgia. I could hear many people in the audience singing along to the theme song.

I can imagine complaints about the pacing of things, but theres only so much you can fit into 1 film, and I thought it was handled quite well. It did get a tad annoying with the constant evolutions but its understandable. The actual retelling of Ash and Pikachu was over and done with in like 10 mins, which actually I was pleased with, we all know how they met and what they first went through, they caught those important parts and that helped them move on with the story.

One of the only things I didn't like was Ash's team. He had 3 pokemon throughout his journey, and what disappointed me the most was that he didn't capture Bulbasaur or Squirtle. It was just Pikachu, Butterfree, and Charizard. And in the end of the movie he only had Pikachu and Charizard. I accept no Misty and Brock, but Bulbasaur and Squirtle should have been caught too. I wouldn't have minded him not having a full team, but at least promote the other 2 starters and not just Charizard.

EDIT: Actually just found something else I wasn't fond of, the soundtrack. I've just been on youtube and found of that Oracion and Tears after the cloudy weather were used in the original. How could they replace those soundtracks, they are beautiful, I imagine if they used them, it would have made Butterfree's departure a lot more heartfelt. Instead we could a chime that kept propping up that sounded like it was from XY, which isn't the greatest when it comes to BGM.
Overall though, a brilliant nostalgia trip, and a perfect way to celebrate 20 years. My brother kept saying, TRio were pointless in the movie and added nothing, which is true, but it wouldn't be a movie without them in some form.

I also really liked how the cinema had 3 children in it, and tons and tons of adults.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I don't really get why they keep bothering to put in that tiny percentage of original music though. Most dubs that use their own music, it's the whole soundtrack so they don't have to pay expenses. Just as annoying results, but at least logical in method.

You bothered to remix the original Western theme for fans of the original but then sniff your nose using any other nostalgic tracks. Who are you appealing to?

Please tell me the movie didn't have Burning Battlefield? I'll cry if the dub took out that.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
I don't really get why they keep bothering to put in that tiny percentage of original music though. Most dubs that use their own music, it's the whole soundtrack so they don't have to pay expenses. Just as annoying results, but at least logical in method.

You bothered to remix the original Western theme for fans of the original but then sniff your nose using any other nostalgic tracks. Who are you appealing to?

Please tell me the movie didn't have Burning Battlefield? I'll cry if the dub took out that.

"Burning Battlefield"? You mean the Kanto trainer battle theme? IIRC, that piece wasn't remixed for the movie.

For anyone interested, the only Japanese track kept in the M20 dub is the Red/Blue/Yellow ending theme remix.

Last edited:

DatsRight

That reminds me. Was Burning Battlefield used on the English dub before? It did for the Latin American dub of the first seasons.

Yeah, in fact I think it was used almost consistently, even when the dub started downplaying using original music (I heard Burning Battlefield more than I heard Gen 3 music in some parts of AG).

I've noticed most of the themes kept in the dub even at it's worst are the ones that act as some sort of recurring theme through most of the series (eg. the title card jingle, TR motto, games battle theme). I guess Burning Battlefield survived because it was practically the 'Ash vs Team Rocket theme' by Hoenn.

The movies usually have a full original soundtrack with no repetition for a one off project (besides some odd remixes) so I guess that's why they barely use any music from them, besides that ONE track for some reason.

I'm tempted to think they might keep Lillie's diary BGM if it becomes consistent enough in the original edit for this reason, though any other use of her theme is likely free game.

Last edited:

teddybeardan

Movie20 dub kept 1 out of 55 music tracks? Seriously?! Gosh darn it!
Reminder Movies 4-16 kept 93% or more of the OST in the English dub, and that obviously includes all the AG ones as well: the GGG era truly is the worst the Pokemon dub has ever been, IMO. Poor voice acting, bad script writing, shorter than ever TV dub openings/intros for the Anime (30 seconds), dub music almost everywhere now, coupled with TPCi still Americanizing and editing the show at times, the latter despite 4Kids being gone...it's a wonder people are curious why the dub is not well liked by everyone.

I've noticed most of the themes kept in the dub even at it's worst are the ones that act as some sort of recurring theme through most of the series (eg. the title card jingle, TR motto, games battle theme). I guess Burning Battlefield survived because it was practically the 'Ash vs Team Rocket theme' by Hoenn.

The movies usually have a full original soundtrack with no repetition for a one off project (besides some odd remixes) so I guess that's why they barely use any music from them, besides that ONE track for some reason.
No, it's because TPCi are cheap: it's funny because the Hoenn Movies themselves (not talking about the Anime dub, in which AG still kept more OST than XY or SM dubbed have as well even there) in the dub kept almost all (Deoxys & Ranger), or all of their OST (Jirachi & Lucario) tracks, and this Alola Era Film (that takes place in Kanto with a different continuity) replaced almost all of it.

TPCi even replaced pieces of OST they themselves kept in DP & BW, as well as ones 4Kids kept in both OS & AG, in their original forms before Miyazaki remixed those for this Movie: that's how badly handled the Movie 20 dub was. We haven't been 1/XX'd or below in a Movie past Movie 3's dub, not a joke (and even that honestly had less annoying music than Goldfarb's stuff, imo).

Last edited:

DatsRight

I question why they keep that tiny little percentage though, since they likely still have to pay the same amount for using it, and if the decision to make a soundtrack themselves is to gain money from other foreign dubs paying to use it, then it would be a more profitable exercise to make an ENTIRELY new one instead of a mostly new one but with a very small excerpt of the original soundtrack still there.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some mandate that the anime dub has to keep SOME of the original soundtrack to appeal to the games fans, but the composer and/or editor prefer free reign and loophole this by using as little as they possibly can.