• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

teddybeardan

I question why they keep that tiny little percentage though, since they likely still have to pay for using it, and if the decision to make a soundtrack themselves is to gain money from other foreign dubs paying to use it, then it would be a more profitable exercise to make an ENTIRELY new one instead of a mostly new one but with a very small excerpt of the original soundtrack still there.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some mandate that the anime dub has to keep SOME of the original soundtrack to appeal to the games fans, but the composer and/or editor prefer free reign and loophole this by using as little as they possibly can.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter statement you've put forth, though regardless, it's pretty shameful on TPCi's part to only keep 1 piece of Japanese music in the dub for Movie 20. For the 20th Anniversary, this can and should've been treated better, but since TPCi only really cares about the kids at expense of the quality in general with the dub at this point, it is sadly what it is, I guess.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
SM043: When Regions Collide!
Airs: December 14
Source: Disney XD Calendar

teddybeardan

Pretty much just a variation of "When Pokemon Worlds Collide" from the early DP dub- JCC continues to be completely unoriginal with the dub's episode titles, this and "Trials and *insert word here*" have been spammed to oblivion.

It's not a "Yo Ho Ho, Go Popplio" level of stupidity, but it certainly is lacking creativity and feels uninspired.

Vipsoccermaster

The interesting fact about this episode is that it is airing on a Thursday rather than a Saturday. And this also means we don't have a new episode for the first two Saturdays of December, at least.

teddybeardan

Really. Was it so hard to keep the original title that was waaay more meaningful with a nice play of words.

About the only thing you can expect to be better than usual is we may keep more than the (pathetic and dismal) amount of 1 to 4 pieces of Japanese music in the episode because it's mostly battle music from the games here, but yeah, that's a lousy episode title right there- I'd comment on the other stuff but that's a hopeless endeavor, really.

Then again, seeing as Movie 20 dubbed got 1/55'd, and this is the GGG Era of the dub, where nothing makes any sense...even that may not occur: wouldn't hold my breath for this keeping 8 or more pieces of Japanese music despite many being themes the dub has kept in the past, with the way things are these days, sadly.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

Wait so does this mean, that episode will be the start of Season 2 of Sun and Moon, along with a new opening
Not sure, but I doubt it. A while back, there were some tweets between Eddy Lee (English Voice Actor for Gladion) and playerking. Eddy Lee claims that SM44 will be the first episode of the second season. We still don't know when English SM44 will air.

Pokegirl0102

Not sure, but I doubt it. A while back, there were some tweets between Eddy Lee (English Voice Actor for Gladion) and playerking. Eddy Lee claims that SM44 will be the first episode of the second season. We still don't know when English SM44 will air.

I really hope they don't go on holiday break like Cartoon Network used to, even Beyblade Burst is starting its next season right away with a marathon in December. I pray Pokemon doesn't go the way of Yokai Watch which seems to come and go

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I really hope they don't go on holiday break like Cartoon Network used to, even Beyblade Burst is starting its next season right away with a marathon in December. I pray Pokemon doesn't go the way of Yokai Watch which seems to come and go

It'll probably be the same as last year where it went on hiatus for like 3 months or so, then air a week of new episodes before going back to weekly. I guess either February or March season 21 will start.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

...why a break between a two parter?
It better not be that Duck Tale crap again. I've been waiting forever to see that one dubbed.

playerking

Yeah, SM043 is now listed on December 9. The Disney XD Calendar has been changing almost every day now, so there's quite a few stuff ups.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Then again, seeing as Movie 20 dubbed got 1/55'd, and this is the GGG Era of the dub, where nothing makes any sense...even that may not occur: wouldn't hold my breath for this keeping 8 or more pieces of Japanese music despite many being themes the dub has kept in the past, with the way things are these days, sadly.

I did find it odd the movie didn't at least keep the game battle themes, that's about the one thing SM's dub has been consistent with, even the remixes from other gens.

Then again, didn't XY slowly wean off even more themes by XYZ?

Granted I might have been more finicky about the dubbing for the Kanto two parter if it used any classic music like the movie did, I remember being disappointed even by the Japanese soundtrack in that regard. The only one I might be protective about is the classic Team Rocket theme.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

Well, we kinda got more episode airing shenanigans. Pokémon.com claims that SM43 will air on Saturday, December 2, 2017. Not sure if that's a typo or intentional. And with craziness on Disney XD Calendar recently doesn't help, either (still says Saturday, December 9, 2017), so all this makes it more confusing. And Zap2it hasn't even updated to put in the new episodes in past Saturday, November 25, 2017. I don't know what to believe right now.

Source

playerking

Well Pokemon.com is rarely every wrong, so they're probably right. But if this is true and it looks like it is, then that means that the calendar has messed up for almost 2 weeks.

teddybeardan

@DatsRight

Well, SM's dub has actually been rather inconsistent about even keeping game music: TPCi even replaced Alola Wild Pokémon Battle music in SM032, which also as a fun fact is a "Only 1 piece of Japanese music kept" for the English dub episode.

XY's dub was better about this than SM's dub, but XYZ's dub is the all time worst for the Pokémon dub: TPCi only kept 14% of the Japanese music in that season. SM's dub is second worst so far, though, it also has the most "Only 1 piece of Japanese music kept" episodes of all time, so there's a new level of suck for the TPCi dub there, to be honest.

I'd take anything Miyazaki composes over Goldfarb's music, really, but that's just me.

DatsRight

@DatsRight

Well, SM's dub has actually been rather inconsistent about even keeping game music: TPCi even replaced Alola Wild Pokémon Battle music in SM032, which also as a fun fact is a "Only 1 piece of Japanese music kept" for the English dub episode.

XY's dub was better about this than SM's dub, but XYZ's dub is the all time worst for the Pokémon dub: TPCi only kept 14% of the Japanese music in that season. SM's dub is second worst so far, though, it also has the most "Only 1 piece of Japanese music kept" episodes of all time, so there's a new level of suck for the TPCi dub there, to be honest.

I'd take anything Miyazaki composes over Goldfarb's music, really, but that's just me.

Odd, they usually keep the wild battle theme at all times, am I right?