• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

Vipsoccermaster

You can't use Bulbapedia as a source. The site is not reliable at all, because anyone can edit there. I've read rumors on SM64 being banned, but there's nothing concrete right now. We really can't say if SM64 is banned; TPCi hasn't announced information on this, and furthermore, SM63 and SM65 hasn't aired in English anywhere yet. We'll have to wait until SM65 officially airs in English without having SM64 aired before it. What we have so far is that SM64 may still be slated to air on Monday, August 6, 2018.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
First, come up with a better source than bulbapedia; AKA the site of easy cheap edits.
You can't use Bulbapedia as a source. The site is not reliable at all, because anyone can edit there. I've read rumors on SM64 being banned, but there's nothing concrete right now. We really can't say if SM64 is banned; TPCi hasn't announced information on this, and furthermore, SM63 and SM65 hasn't aired in English anywhere yet. We'll have to wait until SM65 officially airs in English without having SM64 aired before it. What we have so far is that SM64 may still be slated to air on Monday, August 6, 2018.
The site that's controlled where vandalism gets fixed? And a main mod confirmed it. Yeah, sure and it's true.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Vandalism that occurs too much despite being fixed. And despite saying "a mod confirmed it", we need better proof than that.
That's a common misconception. It doesn't occur often. Intentional vandalism is rare and promptly dealt with. SM065 has aired in New Zealand. There are clips from SM065 but none from SM064. Episodes aren't just skipped without a reason. https://smilingperformer.tumblr.com/post/175613895599/maskedkitsune-figures-ok-i-checked-on-stuff

And yes, saying a mod, the same mod that provides the titles that come from Apple TV, that is on top of episodes titles, wouldn't post something like that for no reason.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
this political correctness **** is getting on my nerves, it's worse than ever.

blackface is racist. If you have an issue with something that's genuinely racist being censored, that's not cool. Check yourself.

I do have a question though, as someone who only watches the dub. Does Passimian appear after this episode, or are we going to be waiting a while for Passimian to make its dub debut?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Such a shame it's been confirmed SM064 has been skipped/banned, it may be a boring filler or whatever but I'm absolutely against censorship, this political correctness **** is getting on my nerves, it's worse than ever.

Agreed
Sucks Passimian may end up being reduced to the role Jynx is at, not that that bothered me as I don't think anyone likes Jynx in the first place. Surely it wouldn't have taken that much work to edit Ash's face to be normal or just wear a Passimian mask. Hopefully they don't put Ash in that outfit again if Passimian ever get another focal episode, I really don't want the species blacklisted from the anime. Making Ash dress up like them in the first place was so freaking stupid....

Henry's Journey

blackface is racist. If you have an issue with something that's genuinely racist being censored, that's not cool. Check yourself.

No I don't have to check myself, nothing about Pokemon or this episode has ever been racist, the USA is a very, very sensitive country and with Trump in power it seems the political correctness has escalated too much, these supposed "progressive/liberal" (I don't think they're liberal and progressive if they promote censorship) people feel offended by EVERYTHING and every little thing for God's sake, sorry but americans need to check themselves and get over some things from the past, instead of promoting racial divisions (BOTH left and right wing people do this).

This will also affect all of Latin America too because they dub from the english dub :mad: I guess they will never visit my country because there are company of dancers that do blackface in carnivals and the such every year, I'm an afro-latino mixed guy as well I don't find anything wrong with this episode.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
blackface is racist. If you have an issue with something that's genuinely racist being censored, that's not cool. Check yourself.?

It's not blackface. It's something that, taken out of context, can be misconstrued as blackface. And given that the person who painted his face was Lillie, of all people, it's perfectly understandable why.

I never saw anything wrong with it and I still don't, but I can totally understand why it was changed.

No I don't have to check myself, nothing about Pokemon or this episode has ever been racist, the USA is a very, very sensitive country and with Trump in power it seems the political correctness has escalated too much, these supposed "progressive/liberal" (I don't think they're liberal and progressive if they promote censorship) people feel offended by EVERYTHING and every little thing for God's sake, sorry but americans need to check themselves and get over some things from the past, instead of promoting racial divisions (BOTH left and right wing people do this).

This will also affect all of Latin America too because they dub from the english dub :mad: I guess they will never visit my country because there are company of dancers that do blackface in carnivals and the such every year, I'm an afro-latino mixed guy as well I don't find anything wrong with this episode.

Hey, buddy. Just because you don't find a problem with it, doesn't mean others won't or shouldn't. You don't get to decide how other people should feel about touchy subjects.

Blackface is one of the many examples of a disgusting point in our history. One that should never be forgotten so it is never repeated.

Pokemon shouldn't have to go through the Jynx debacle again, so please don't go around acting like you're an authority on this subject.

Last edited:

teddybeardan

So, TPCi (not Disney, who is being incorrectly blamed for censorship in earlier SM dub episodes when they have nothing to do with the dub's production aside from airing it) has banned SM064, really, first time in ages we've had a banned episode. Can't say I'm surprised given how heavy the music changes have gotten to the point where they only keep 1 or 2 pieces of Japanese music per episode now in Season 21, all the recent script rewrites (like Tupp's motivation for his grudge against Ilima being changed in SM065, or when Ash's speech about his whole team and himself was changed to being only about Litten in SM063), the latest 28 second intro, and the questionable vocal direction of the voice actors/actresses, really. It's unfortunate, but expected, though I don't see the Blackface resemblance and they could've just colored him lighter black or something, but they obviously find that too much work to do for them these days I suppose.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
@teddybeardan I think this was the first time since Johto that an episode has been outright banned from the dub? And not the first Blackface incident relating to Jynx?

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/SM064

The article does mention the blackface part, but could we have the possibility of TPCi editing Ash's Passimian costume to remove the blackface and then air it out of order? It wouldn't be that hard to edit a simple face wouldn't it? Then again, I bet the episode in general would have had racist connotations because monkey and ape are words that are used as insults towards black people.

Last edited:

andrewscott48209

@teddybeardan I think this was the first time since Johto that an episode has been outright banned from the dub? And not the first Blackface incident relating to Jynx?

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/SM064

The article does mention the blackface part, but could we have the possibility of TPCi editing Ash's Passimian costume to remove the blackface and then air it out of order? It wouldn't be that hard to edit a simple face wouldn't it? Then again, I bet the episode in general would have had racist connotations because monkey and ape are words that are used as insults towards black people.

If monkeys and apes are used as insults towards black purple, then how did the entire Dragon Ball series manage to avoid getting censored. They had Goku, Gohan and Vegeta turning into great apes and neither Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z nor Dragon Ball GT was censored out for it. The only race based censorship that happened was that the 4Kids Dub of Dragon Ball Z Kai changed Mr Popo's skin color to royal blue. And that was the only time, as the uncut version has Mr. Pop's skin color unchanged.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Showing monkeys and apes isn't insulting. Those examples have nothing in common with this.

The whole insulting part was the fact the face paint made Ash look like a black person pretending and acting as a monkey. Both things put together look very ugly, indeed.

If Ash didn't have that face paint on, this would be okay.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Can I just note that there has been a time when the US and a couple of others skipped an episode without reason and then aired it much later.

XY078: Lights! Camera! Pika! was skipped in the west and not aired until months later until between XY089: The Frolicking Find in the Flowers & XY090: Tag Team Inspiration!

I'm not saying this is not banned yet, I'm currently awaiting actual official confirmation more than "OMG it's been skipped and must be banned"

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
@Serebii There is a chance they could air the episode out-of-order like that Pikachu episode, and with Ash's black face paint edited out. But yeah, considering the racist "monkey" slur, a monkey in blackface is indeed very controversial towards the black community.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Can someone please tell me why we think this episode is banned? According to Serebii's episode list, it has an English title, and it's not supposed to air for another four weeks, at least, so it seems too early to know if it's going to be skipped yet. Why would it have an English title if it's banned?