• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
As someone who only watches the dub, I found this video interesting to catch a glimpse of how the Pokémon anime is produced behind the scenes. It also shows that there is more to the dubbing process than one would think. Thank you for sharing!

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't X and Y already on Netflix? So putting the previous completed series on the website isn't at all unusual.

That date suspicious to me tbh <_<....

There's really no reason for an announcement like that to be joke.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't X and Y already on Netflix? So putting the previous completed series on the website isn't at all unusual.

There's really no reason for an announcement like that to be joke.

Ya but still that day is to be taken lightly lol.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Now if only their choices in voice actors and voice direction weren't polarizing (you can't tell me with a straight face Lillie's voice is amazing or even decent). Those mar the hard work they do.

No offense, but Veronica is the better Ash. Not even a competition.
Looks like they skipped the part where they replace 90% of the soundtrack with their garbage.
Saying the real facts here.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Ya but still that day is to be taken lightly lol.

Of course the day is in general, but some things just aren't jokes. In this instance, it would be bad business for a company as large as Netflix to falsely claim to have acquired as big of a series as Pokémon without actually meaning it. It's just asking for people to be upset at them.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
No matter what music is playing in the background I still take the mid-BW-SM dub over the BF-early BW dub any day because the voice acting was that terrible. Obviously there’s still some bad apples in this age like Iris, Alan, & Lillie but even then the majority of dub voices today are tolerable compared to those like Brock and BF/DP Ash. Even hearing said Ash saying dub titles like “A Gruff Act to Follow” still makes me cringe lol. The only ones who remained consistently bad since the TPCi dubbing are Team Rocket (and Wobbuffet starting in XY).

And it’s not like the Japanese VAs have any bad blood with the dub ones. Heck Rica and Sarah are actually friends on Twitter and do talk with one another occasionally! Seriously if they didn’t have feuds with the dub in regards in to voice acting and music replacement back then why would they do it now?

hatching-chick.png

brtnvm

Giselle best girl
No matter what music is playing in the background I still take the mid-BW-SM dub over the BF-early BW dub any day because the voice acting was that terrible. Obviously there’s still some bad apples in this age like Iris, Alan, & Lillie but even then the majority of dub voices today are tolerable compared to those like Brock and BF/DP Ash. Even hearing said Ash saying dub titles like “A Gruff Act to Follow” still makes me cringe lol. The only ones who remained consistently bad since the TPCi dubbing are Team Rocket (and Wobbuffet starting in XY).

And it’s not like the Japanese VAs have any bad blood with the dub ones. Heck Rica and Sarah are actually friends on Twitter and do talk with one another occasionally! Seriously if they didn’t have feuds with the dub in regards in to voice acting and music replacement back then why would they do it now?

hatching-chick.png
In my opinion, Pokemon's best English seiyuu/voice actor is Julian Rebolledo, the guy who voiced Paul. That kind of voice acting is too good for a show like Pokemon.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

hatching-chick.png
Yeah, I’m not the biggest fan of the dub, but it’s finally gotten to the same quality that 4Kids was in their prime & I do appreciate all of the hard work they do.

Also, while I hate how they change most of the original music, I have to admit that Goldfarb’s tunes are getting better & are sometimes more fitting than the Japanese version. The best example I can think of is in the episode where Ash caught Litten. While I hate that they took out the Snowbelle City theme, Goldfarb’s music during the montage after Stoutland died was 10000 times better than the Meowth song they used in the original Japanese audio.

If anything, Goldfarb’s strengths seem to be doing fanfares & sad moments while his battle scores & high tension scenes could sound a little more action-packed, fast paced, and intense. I’m actually looking forward to see how he handles the 2019 series though since they rarely use music from the games & never use any of the tunes from OS, so he won’t have that stacked against him like he did for XYZ or SM

Last edited:

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Keep in mind that unfortunately, Western dubs have to use the English one as a base. I get that you like the dub better now since the VA sounded terrible when the infamous switch happened. But us who grew up and watch other countries dubs and didn't have to go through a voice acting downgrade because it stayed consistent, suffered it in the music department. So we have seen nothing but our language's dubs go downhill in the last 7 years. While the voice acting is as good as always, the show has become more and more bland thanks to TPCi's policy with the bgm. With the exception of the last two movies, of course. That's why so many people are disappointed with the music situation. Many of them are fans from Europe, Latin America, etc.

Leonhart

Imagineer
brtnvm said:
In my opinion, Pokemon's best English seiyuu/voice actor is Julian Rebolledo, the guy who voiced Paul. That kind of voice acting is too good for a show like Pokemon.

While I thought he did fine voicing Shinji in the English dub, I don't think that voicing Shinji would've been a particularly difficult job for any voice actor. Given how sullen the character is, it probably wouldn't have taken anyone else much effort to bring the character to life in the English dub.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

His voice is what made the character.
Kiawe's VA was also excellent, it suited the character very well. Felt like he actually enjoyed his role, while some felt phoned in