• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I have to admit that Goldfarb’s tunes are getting better & are sometimes more fitting than the Japanese version. The best example I can think of is in the episode where Ash caught Litten. While I hate that they took out the Snowbelle City theme, Goldfarb’s music during the montage after Stoutland died was 10000 times better than the Meowth song they used in the original Japanese audio.

If anything, Goldfarb’s strengths seem to be doing fanfares & sad moments while his battle scores & high tension scenes could sound a little more action-packed, fast paced, and intense.
It's very rare I see a valid complaint about the dub music that I can agree with in some capacity (the bit about the battle music). Most times, people's problem with Mr. Goldfarb's music is that it isn't S. Miyazaki's music, which is the definition of mindless purism.

And now Mr Hayashi's getting that rep, too...

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It's very rare I see a valid complaint about the dub music that I can agree with in some capacity (the bit about the battle music). Most times, people's problem with Mr. Goldfarb's music is that it isn't S. Miyazaki's music, which is the definition of mindless purism.

Yeah I do think people are too hard on Goldfarb sometimes

Leonhart

Imagineer
Trey pokes said:
He's just doing his job. He's human after all. I imagine he's trying as much he can do with whatever he's given.

It would be nice if he were a tad bit better at said job, though. And to be clear, I don't criticize his work because it's not Mr. Miyazaki's score, but because most of the time Mr. Goldfarb's music doesn't quite fit the scenes that are meant to be in-sync with the score.

Ryu Taylor

most of the time Mr. Goldfarb's music doesn't quite fit the scenes that are meant to be in-sync with the score.
The same can be said about the JP music (and I've said just that for years), though that's Mima's fault.

And Mr. Hayashi's music has been victim to that since episode 10 of the new saga.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Looking back the fact we did not get a two ep preview like we used to get is a bit odd. The only time it did not happen was BW but that was due to the anime and games lining up very well so we just got the full series. Not sure if this means Disney is loosing the rights for the new series but not the older stuff? I am pretty sure Disney XD aired pokemon movies prior to them getting it in 2016. I swear I remember them airing movie 4 in like 2012. Plus with Corona I'm sure the timing made it so they likely have not even begun work on it yet. Though didn't the Mewtwo remake movie kinda just randomly get announced a month prior without any idea it was being worked on? I'm a bit worried for dub watchers since they could be searching Pokemon the Series Sword and Shield and finding nothing due to the anime's nature making them thing the anime was cancelled or something.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet

I dunno why folks think that Miyazaki's score is super amazing compared to Hayashi's. Sure Miyazaki has more experience and he was a staple of the show since Kanto but I think Hayashi's music is good enough.

I don't want to get into an argument about Goldfarb's music even though I do think he's one of the better dub music composers. So that's my greatest compliment for him lol.

Ryu Taylor

I dunno why folks think that Miyazaki's score is super amazing compared to Hayashi's
Frankly, I don't know why people think Miyazaki's music is super amazing at all. Even in his prime he was just great and nothing more than that.

But I've been on that track before.

Last edited:
Putting aside the continuing mediocrity of the dub music, I don’t actually notice a discernible difference in quality between Miyazaki’s and Hayashi’s scores. Both are good, and I’m liking some of the more interesting music in the new series

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
I dunno why folks think that Miyazaki's score is super amazing compared to Hayashi's. Sure Miyazaki has more experience and he was a staple of the show since Kanto but I think Hayashi's music is good enough.

I don't want to get into an argument about Goldfarb's music even though I do think he's one of the better dub music composers. So that's my greatest compliment for him lol.
I don't think Hayashi's work is bad, the only problem is the lack of game themes and the small library (which could be fixed by using old music but we know that won't happen). But that will improve over time.

About people praising Miyazaki's music "too much" compared to the dub, it's so simple. You dont realize what you have until its gone. The downgrade in the last years has been too big. And now Hayashi will suffer the same fate with the new series. When the dub comes out, he'll get more praised than ever.

Ryu Taylor

You don't realize what you have until its gone. The downgrade in the last years has been too big.
This makes me wonder: did you like John Loeffler's dub music while he still was the dub composer, or did you only start liking it once Ed Goldfarb succeeded him?

And now Hayashi will suffer the same fate with the new series. When the dub comes out, he'll get more praised than ever.
And this right here is a big part of my doubt that purists legitimately like the JP music on its own merits. They only like it to spite the dub music.

Ryu Taylor

Fire Lillie's English VA.
If any VA should be fired, it's all three of TR's JP VAs. Not just for how terrible they make TR sound (to the point where I skipped last week's PM2019 episode because they were in most of it), but also because of their childish attitudes about certain sagas--and by the way, I **** you not, this was an actual "complaint" they had--not having them in enough of them.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
If any VA should be fired, it's all three of TR's JP VAs. Not just for how terrible they make TR sound (to the point where I skipped last week's PM2019 episode because they were in most of it), but also because of their childish attitudes about certain sagas--and by the way, I **** you not, this was an actual "complaint" they had--not having them in enough of them.
Tbh I do agree that Meowth sounds bad in Japanese.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ryu Taylor said:
That voice is literal torture. Like, what kind of psychopath would allow that kind of sound on national TV?

It's an acquired taste I admit, and it takes some getting used to. But I still think that Inuko Inuyama's version of Nyasu makes more sense than the English dub's Nyasu's Brooklyn accent [with Yiddish undertones]. It makes no sense to me that Nyasu in the English dub learned to speak with an accent that wasn't used by anyone around him based on what we saw in EP070.