• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I feel like it's actually way more pronounced this time though because... in the time of AG and D&P, the Japanese version was significantly harder to get a hold of than it is now. Both for the show and for the games. BW... I'm less sure how that would have played out. Though I do hear that some people were upset that the English version renamed the region from Isshu to Unova.
I remember everyone was still talking about it on a weekly basis though, but yeah maybe fewer people were actually *watching* the japanese version. I remember seeing hella spoilers everywhere all the time though. Definitely even back in the days of AG serebii's homepage had the sidebar with "Next in japan"

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
That's the thing. Chase and Annie aren't from the games.
Did you even read my whole post? Citron and Ash's classmates were exceptions because of the game reason I provided. Above that, I provided many examples of how this has happened so many times before.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Bortgreen said:
It's going to be weird to call Go/Koharu/etc by others names if they do change them

I suppose that it'll be a slight inconvenience for those who choose to use the English names over the Japanese names, although I've never understood why some fans are so eager to ditch the original names when they could just continue using them.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Did you even read my whole post? Citron and Ash's classmates were exceptions because of the game reason I provided. Above that, I provided many examples of how this has happened so many times before.
What I mean to say is people are used to getting dubbed names straight from the games no matter if they are released sooner or later. It's all official.

But this time? It's not from the creators themselves. It's from a lesser 4Kids division handling completely original people.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I suppose that it'll be a slight inconvenience for those who choose to use the English names over the Japanese names, although I've never understood why some fans are so eager to ditch the original names when they could just continue using them.

It works both ways. I've never understood why some fans are so steadfast on sticking to the Japanese names, even if they do primarily watch the show subbed. I say just as you would translate the regular Japanese words, you should "translate" the Japanese names as well.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
They will be called Chase and Annie, and you will LIKE 'EM.
You know, Chase isn't that bad of a choice for a dub name for Go. Although your pick for Koharu sounds kinda old-fashioned. Gotta go for Anna and get all that hype from 2013/2014 all over again.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Bguy7 said:
It works both ways. I've never understood why some fans are so steadfast on sticking to the Japanese names, even if they do primarily watch the show subbed. I say just as you would translate the regular Japanese words, you should "translate" the Japanese names as well.

That's a rather brash comparison given that the Japanese names are the originals, and I can't see the harm in people calling something by its initial intended name.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That's a rather brash comparison given that the Japanese names are the originals, and I can't see the harm in people calling something by its initial intended name.

And my stance is that we speak English, so we should use the English names for consistency, and I can't see the harm in calling them by their English names. I'm not saying that you or anyone else should stop using the Japanese names if that's what you prefer, I'm just making a point that everyone looks at it differently.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Agreed. There's a reason that localization is better than direct translation. I couldn't believe what nonsense I saw when I saw the Detective Pikachu Japanese dub, and instead of using the Japanese theme song during the part where Pikachu sings the original English theme song, they use a direct translation of the English theme song. Wtf were they thinking?

LOCALIZATION > TRANSLATION
If the entire rest of someone's sentence on this forum is in English, why are the names alone in Japanese? Do we call Japan Nippon? No, we call it Japan. Not holding grudges against those who use the Japanese names. You do you. But to say that Bguy was being brash is ridiculous.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
I have always felt that they dub these episodes in batches long before they air
I don't know if they do it in batches but they get the episodes way earlier than their airing. If they didn't have to go through that unnecessary editing process we all know, they could release them super close to Japan.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
You know, Chase isn't that bad of a choice for a dub name for Go. Although your pick for Koharu sounds kinda old-fashioned. Gotta go for Anna and get all that hype from 2013/2014 all over again.

Except the problem is Chase is already used as the name for the male player character in LGP/LGE. It's pretty clear they don't want to reuse names that much.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Was SM season 1 not the same gap? XYZ ended early 2017 and the anime was May 2017?
Go keeping his name makes sense and Sakuragi could just be Sakura or Cherry or Blossom.
I will laugh so hard if the actors and music people just casually thought they were working on the new series and just were chosen for like a company in LA. Have found it odd that LA does the mini series and ignores the NYC main people.

But yeah the virus is playing a big part in this imo and I would not be shocked to see the release of the dub as far into the year as September.