• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Wow I’m misinformed, guess it’s because I haven’t been watching the SM anime aside from the odd episode so the gap felt much much longer than it is, genuinely shocked at how short the gap really is between the series.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Does a Thai name have any actual bearing on the English name? Are they usually the same? Can we actually assume this is the English name?

Do I really have to shorten it to PJ? This show isn’t about pajamas!

I mean, you could always just write the full name... It's not like it's that hard to type Pokémon Journeys, or even just Journeys...

(Sorry, people needlessly abbreviating stuff on the internet is a pet peeve of mine.)

Still a very lame and lazy choice if you ask me.

Don't really see an issue with the title myself, but regardless, anything is a better and less lazy title than just calling it Pokémon. I'm still confused as to why they did that in Japan.

Shotgunrain

I just hope Bulbapedia will change the ‘SS’ naming system already for the episodes. This series is not entirely based on Sword and Shield even though they have been to Galar a few times and the Pokemon World Championships has its finals in Galar etc. I think this series is just to promote the entire franchise as a whole while maybe dedicating only a bit to Galar characters. The latest episode previews does seem to have a lot of Galar focus but who knows whether it’ll last, I’m willing to bet we’ll just return to Kanto for 10 more episodes after Sobble, Raihan and Sonia.

But anyway, since this series is not based on SwSh and if the dub name is going to be Pokemon Journeys then maybe the naming system should change to ‘JO’ or something. Using ‘SS’ might actually cause more confusion because the series is not based on SwSh like XY, SM and DP, you know. That’s why on Serebii the naming system is ‘PM2019’. I know ‘PM2019’ won’t really fit on Bulbapedia so they could use ‘JO’ or ‘PJ’ instead. Besides, we’ve had naming systems like ‘EP’ and ‘AG’ being used on Bulbapedia already so...

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Well, that ends tradition of the "Pokemon: the Series" title. Still a very lame and lazy choice if you ask me.
...No, it doesn't. The full title is "Pokémon Journeys: The Series". Sorry I left that part out at first, I just kinda figured that was a given and that everyone was going to ignore it in conversation anyway.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I liked the new title, it just makes sense
We still had:

Grand Tour (GT)
World Tour (WT)
Maybe even World Championship

Sappier titles the dub would use:

Adventures Across The World!! (notice double exclamation points for emphasis)
Hello, Friends!!
Go, Ash & Goalie!!
Ash & Pikachu's Adventures!!
World Championship Victors!!
The double exclamations sounds more like a japanese thing lol

I just hope Bulbapedia will change the ‘SS’ naming system already for the episodes. This series is not entirely based on Sword and Shield even though they have been to Galar a few times and the Pokemon World Championships has its finals in Galar etc. I think this series is just to promote the entire franchise as a whole while maybe dedicating only a bit to Galar characters. The latest episode previews does seem to have a lot of Galar focus but who knows whether it’ll last, I’m willing to bet we’ll just return to Kanto for 10 more episodes after Sobble, Raihan and Sonia.

But anyway, since this series is not based on SwSh and if the dub name is going to be Pokemon Journeys then maybe the naming system should change to ‘JO’ or something. Using ‘SS’ might actually cause more confusion because the series is not based on SwSh like XY, SM and DP, you know. That’s why on Serebii the naming system is ‘PM2019’. I know ‘PM2019’ won’t really fit on Bulbapedia so they could use ‘JO’ or ‘PJ’ instead. Besides, we’ve had naming systems like ‘EP’ and ‘AG’ being used on Bulbapedia already so...
Fun fact: intended or not, SS also means "Shin Shirīzu", New Series in japanese

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Does a Thai name have any actual bearing on the English name? Are they usually the same? Can we actually assume this is the English name?

The Thai name was revealed a few weeks ago; at the time, people theorized that the English name would be the same. Now it's confirmed by TVPassport, and both @pkmndub and @bulbanewsNOW have tweeted it.

I mean, you could always just write the full name... It's not like it's that hard to type Pokémon Journeys, or even just Journeys...

I think he means in terms of when you're saying the episode numbers.. PJ001, PJ002, etc.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
The Thai name was revealed a few weeks ago; at the time, people theorized that the English name would be the same. Now it's confirmed by TVPassport, and both @pkmndub and @bulbanewsNOW have tweeted it.
Also it should be noted that people's translations of the Thai title was "Pokémon Journey", singular. So technically people got it wrong. But of course, they got it wrong by one letter. So the Thai title was still pretty obviously derived from the English one.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
That’s my point. It’s just named “Pokémon”.
Yeah my first reaction upon hearing the title was "On one hand it's super vague and would fit literally any Pokémon season... On the other hand the Japanese season it's based off didn't even have a subtitle, so it's not like the dubbers were given anything specific to work with".

And given that this show goes back and forth between different regions, specifically isn't Sword & Shield though it is at least looking like out of all the regions Satoshi and Go travel to, Galar is getting the most focus, and isn't really a straight adaptation of Go or Masters either... I guess "Pokémon Journeys" is fine. I mean I suggested "Pokémon World" before and that's equally vague.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
And given that this show goes back and forth between different regions, specifically isn't Sword & Shield though it is at least looking like out of all the regions Satoshi and Go travel to, Galar is getting the most focus, and isn't really a straight adaptation of Go or Masters either... I guess "Pokémon Journeys" is fine. I mean I suggested "Pokémon World" before and that's equally vague.

Honestly, I think "Journeys" is a pretty weak title.

Ash "journeys" all the time. The title by itself doesn't really tell you what it's about.

If they wanted to capture the world-traveling aspect, why not "Pokemon: World Tour"?

Or Pokemon Grand Tour.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Let's think of it in a different sense. Is Journeys any worse a name than Advance?

And personally, I never much liked the trend of naming the seasons after the games, I preferred the season names from before Diamond and Pearl, so I actually kind of like it being called Journeys.

Trey pokes

Since the JP title is just called Pocket Monsters, they definitely needed to be more original this time around. Journeys works because while somewhat vague given all that we've been through, this is the 1st series in which all regions are represented, not just Galar/Kanto. So Journeys must've been used cuz heck we could be in Kalos for one episode, then Unova for 2 episodes, then maybe Alola for 3. There's no one region we stay in for the whole series, it all just depends on what the production crew does for these regions to make the experience more unique.

Shotgunrain

Journeys is fine. The dub narrator always says at the end of each episode, "as the journey continues", so it kinda fits, I guess. Yeah Ash might not be doing much 'journeying' this season but he didn't do much journeying in SM anyway, he was mostly at the school or on Melemele.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't really understand why anyone would be worried/annoyed about the name when it's the least of the dub's problems. The name won't change anything about the quality of the dub.

Do you just actively look for opportunities to make uncalled for jabs at the quality of the dub?

It doesn’t have the same ring as the usual “Pokémon the Series” title if you ask me...

You know, I've always found the "the series" titles kind of dumb sound, myself. I've certainly never used when naming a series, and it's just always felt kind of tacky to me. And now that I think about it, I feel like putting "the series" after the title sounds better to me. For example, Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon sounds silly, but Pokemon Sun and Moon the Series sounds more like a proper title. It really doesn't matter in the end, but that's my take.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Do you just actively look for opportunities to make uncalled for jabs at the quality of the dub?
Of course I'm against the policies of the highest-grossing media franchise in the world. Not the people who work in the dub whose names we all know and are just doing their job but whoever decides the dub has to be the way it's been for the past... 7 years? Every 3 years, they have the chance to enter the 21st century. That's what I always wish. But you can disagree and tell me why you like how they do things. That's how discussions work. I'm always willing to listen.

My country's dub would always be my first option but unfortunately it has to use the US version as base. And I don't think TPCi treats it with respect.

I'll shut up when they stop with the creative censorship or when they offer a legal way to watch the original version in West. However, it seems one can't exist without the other. Look at M22. That was a step in the right direction from TPCi in my opinion. Even if the movie itself is pretty mediocre and unnecessary. Yes! I can also be against a decision from Japan! Guess what? I don't make distinctions!

I could list you many things I dislike about the decisions made in Japan. But this is not the thread for that.

Last edited: