• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Considering how weak episodes 1-9 were, I can't imagine sitting through those for 9 weeks before getting to the good stuff. I might have even given up on the series. As I've posted in one of the episode threads (maybe episode 12, I think) this was the first beginning of a series that I've absolutely hated. I've never given up on Pokémon in 22 years, was I going to give up now? I was close, let me tell you. Fortunately not since 10-12 saved it. However, if I had had to sit through those 9 episodes for 9 weeks instead of a few days? It's possible, sadly. So, in that sense, I am happy it came all at once.
Speaking as someone who did have to sit through those nine episodes one at a time, yeah, it was rough. With the show taking 12 episodes to even establish a direction for the main character's character arc and Go's captures being about as engaging as watching someone play a video game with cheats on, there really was nothing to look forward to other than the vague hope that maybe the show would eventually actually do something cool with its region-hopping gimmick. Because using said region-hopping gimmick purely for the standard filler plots we'd had in every series... was not cutting it. I mean even now I don't think the show is doing all that much with the concept, but at least the story feels like it's gained some sort of momentum at this point and there actually is tangible stuff for us to speculate about. (aka, "Who will come back for the Championship later? What kind of OP Pokémon will our hero catch next?")
...Go's catches are still about as engaging as watching someone play a video game with cheats on, however.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Speaking as someone who did have to sit through those nine episodes one at a time, yeah, it was rough. With the show taking 12 episodes to even establish a direction for the main character's character arc and Go's captures being about as engaging as watching someone play a video game with cheats on, there really was nothing to look forward to other than the vague hope that maybe the show would eventually actually do something cool with its region-hopping gimmick. Because using said region-hopping gimmick purely for the standard filler plots we'd had in every series... was not cutting it. I mean even now I don't think the show is doing all that much with the concept, but at least the story feels like it's gained some sort of momentum at this point and there actually is tangible stuff for us to speculate about. (aka, "Who will come back for the Championship later? What kind of OP Pokémon will our hero catch next?")
...Go's catches are still about as engaging as watching someone play a video game with cheats on, however.
Honestly, only episodes 1-5 were tough to sit through for me. Episode 6 was when I thought the series was starting to get good partly because it captured the fun of catching pokemon in the games & showed us that Go cares for his pokemon even though he has so many of them.

Yeah even my 10 year old nephew rolled his eyes at the way Go be easily catching his pokemon , knowing it doesn't really work that way in the mainline games sans Lets go
I didn't really mind it all that much since I knew Go's way of catching is based on Pokemon Go's mechanics

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
For those who watch both the sub & the dub, here’s what we’ll be expecting for the next two batch of episodes if we’re still getting 12 each time, though I kept the descriptions vague enough in case anyone who’s only watching the dub wants to see too

• The one that picks up where episode 12 left off
  • The one where Ash & Goh visit the Desert Resort
  • The one where Ash is cursed
  • The one where Scorbunny tries to learn a new move
  • The one where Ash starts his new equivalent to gym battles this series
  • The one where Team Rocket help a Ditto actress
  • The one where Ash & Goh supervise some kids
  • The one about Pokémon Eggs
  • The one where Goh imagines Ash as a Beautifly
  • The one that aired after the COVID hiatus
  • The one where Team Rocket go on vacation

• The one where Ash visits Kalos
  • The one with two random episodes
  • The one where Ash & Goh visit Galar for the 3rd time
  • The one that broke the fandom’s hearts
  • The one where Yamper gets jealous
  • The one that people think goes against continuity
  • The one that feels like a classic CotD episode
  • The one that only features Goh
  • The one involving the trade festival (airing sub this week)
  • The one where Ash visits the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City (airing sub next week)
  • The one where Goh tries to catch Pikachu (airing sub August 30)
  • The one with the big sandstorm (airing sub September 6)

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeeeaaah, let's not piss off people more with that certain pair of characters around for much longer... Not to mention that would have been really fishy favoritism over even Lance.
Those people are a minority tho, most people were hyped for those certain characters to return again after a long time and they had more impact than Lance in the anime, making it two parter to properly execute the plot would be desirable even if it means more screentime

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You're pushing yourself as a big Paranoia Agent fanatic and you still think you can critique execution?
...I'm...not sure what makes you think I'm a big Paranoia Agent fanatic only because I just chose an avatar and signature about it. I just liked it.

Heaven forbid I had an animal avatar and people would call me a furry (not saying internet furries are bad).

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It sucks that it cuts off right before ep25 considering how hype it is. Honestly judging by the timelines it should be 13 episodes per batch anyway

Here's some math for you.

Johto: 52 episodes a year (156 divided by 3)
AG: 48 episodes a year (192 divided by 4)
DP: 48 episodes a year (191 divided by 4)
BW: 47 episodes a year (142 divided by 3)
XY: 47 episodes a year (93 divided by 2)
XY&Z: 47 episodes
SM: 49 episodes a year (146 divided by 3)

If we were back in Johto, I would agree with you. They were doing 52 episodes a year. 13 a quarter would make sense. It's clear however that for the last 18 years the anime has done 47-49 episodes a year, so I think 12 per quarter, averaging 48 a year, makes total sense.

Not to mention that specifically in the case of Journeys, it was interrupted for several weeks in Japan due to coronavirus, so the first year is going to have significantly less than the normal number of episodes anyway. Makes me wonder actually, since the anime releases are forced to be synced up with game releases, if the first Gen IX game comes out fall 2022, is the Journeys anime gonna be forced to be closer to 130 than 140 episodes due to the hiatus in 2020?

dman_dustin

It sucks that it cuts off right before ep25 considering how hype it is. Honestly judging by the timelines it should be 13 episodes per batch anyway

Yeah I'm really hoping they squeeze episode 25 into the mix, then perhaps the next batch will have 11 or something. Though I don't know exactly how they are dubbing the series to make this happen. It was 208 days down to 124 days for the first batch (don't want to do the math on the 2nd batch but probably close to the same amount with exception to the beginning episodes since it'll go beyond that 208 days since it's been 208 already for episode 13.

But if they include episode 25, I would expect them to maybe take some more time, and wait until the actual series pumps a good amount, which would mean episode 25 would be a great place to end the 2nd batch. Especially given what will be the first episode of the 2nd batch.

I mean if it is just episode 24, and they are doing 12 episodes a batch. Then the next batch would have to end at episode 36. So they actually can always keep the 12 episode it seems every 3 months or so, which means the 3rd batch to episode 36 will likely be released on Decemeber 11th potentially. And that means we would be at 50 episodes (if every week releases an episode from this point forward), in the original Pokemon 2019 series. But that would mean the 4th batch in March would only go to episode 48, not sure if they would leave out the last two episodes of the 2020 year, but I guess dub wise the airdate of those episodes don't matter.

So they can do it, at 12 episodes every 3 months it looks like. Kind of makes you wonder what the last batch is going to look like, will it be 12 episodes or could it be more, or will it be as low a 6 episodes? I feel like the dub might have a good idea of how many episodes it will be if they are doing 12 episodes every 3 months.

But this of course is if everything happens as normal and we don't suddenly get a hiatus from the Pokemon 2019 series (from Japan) or even a larger hiatus in regards to the dub.

I would like to know how the original hiatus for the pandemic affected the dubbing in regards to the 2nd batch. Because at least 2 episodes from the hiatus should be included in this batch. Which also explains why the 13th episode will surpass the first batch in regards to the 1st episode given the month and half approximately hiatus. Which means the plans to release the 2nd batch probably originally would've probably come out around this time. since we lost 7 episodes of time because of the hiatus. Which mean we would have been about episode 39 right about now if we didn't have a pandemic to deal with or if it didn't result in a hiatus.

Not to mention that specifically in the case of Journeys, it was interrupted for several weeks in Japan due to coronavirus, so the first year is going to have significantly less than the normal number of episodes anyway. Makes me wonder actually, since the anime releases are forced to be synced up with game releases, if the first Gen IX game comes out fall 2022, is the Journeys anime gonna be forced to be closer to 130 than 140 episodes due to the hiatus in 2020?

If they really want a holiday release for 9th generation then they should just wait until the following year, otherwise I'd hate to lose 7 episodes and potentially more just because of the hiatus. Or release 9th generation at the original planned release time, and just have the anime come to the 9th generation on their own terms (with 9th generation anime stuff happening 7 weeks later or so).

What would make it better is if they did what they originally did, and released Pokemon of a future generation into the anime. Maybe the last 7 weeks of Pokemon 2019 anime will heavily revolve around 9th generation Pokemon to showcase those Pokemon before heading into the new series.

And if they continue this world series into 9th generation, they don't even need to transition immediately into into the new generation like they've done before. If Ash continues in 9th generation and Go doesn't, then just have Go be a recurring character for those seven episodes, then give Ash a new companion. If Go is the head protagonist then have Ash be a recurring character for those 7 episodes then perhaps a timeskip.

With a world series if it continues into 9th generation they don't have to sacrifice anything. If they're going to do a clean wipe like other generation I can definitely see that as an issue.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Here's some math for you.

Johto: 52 episodes a year (156 divided by 3)
AG: 48 episodes a year (192 divided by 4)
DP: 48 episodes a year (191 divided by 4)
BW: 47 episodes a year (142 divided by 3)
XY: 47 episodes a year (93 divided by 2)
XY&Z: 47 episodes
SM: 49 episodes a year (146 divided by 3)

If we were back in Johto, I would agree with you. They were doing 52 episodes a year. 13 a quarter would make sense. It's clear however that for the last 18 years the anime has done 47-49 episodes a year, so I think 12 per quarter, averaging 48 a year, makes total sense.

But Pokémon Journeys started in June when normally new seasons would start in April or may I believe, so 13 episodes to me makes more sense.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
But Pokémon Journeys started in June when normally new seasons would start in April or may I believe, so 13 episodes to me makes more sense.
Yeah but it just came at the end of the quarter rather than the beginning. You're right, the last 2 seasons started in March, but episode 12 came out in June. It's not about when episode 1 came out, it's when episode 12 came out.