• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub Title Thread

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I mean if it is just episode 24, and they are doing 12 episodes a batch. Then the next batch would have to end at episode 36. So they actually can always keep the 12 episode it seems every 3 months or so, which means the 3rd batch to episode 36 will likely be released on Decemeber 11th potentially. And that means we would be at 50 episodes (if every week releases an episode from this point forward), in the original Pokemon 2019 series. But that would mean the 4th batch in March would only go to episode 48, not sure if they would leave out the last two episodes of the 2020 year, but I guess dub wise the airdate of those episodes don't matter.
Each year of the Pokémon anime starts in Sept/Oct/Nov (whenever that generation starts) not in December. So the "first year of Journeys" will end in November not December. Not that it matters for Japan, since they don't do seasons in the traditional sense (just change the opening sometimes, which doesn't even usually match up to when the dub changes openings) except for rare cases like BWS2, BWS2N, BWS2Da!, and XY&Z. But if you're gonna count all the episodes in 2020 and say all of them should happen in Journeys Season 1 (dub) then that's actually more than a year since it's Nov 2019-Dec 2020

dman_dustin

Each year of the Pokémon anime starts in Sept/Oct/Nov (whenever that generation starts) not in December. So the "first year of Journeys" will end in November not December. Not that it matters for Japan, since they don't do seasons in the traditional sense (just change the opening sometimes, which doesn't even usually match up to when the dub changes openings) except for rare cases like BWS2, BWS2N, BWS2Da!, and XY&Z. But if you're gonna count all the episodes in 2020 and say all of them should happen in Journeys Season 1 (dub) then that's actually more than a year since it's Nov 2019-Dec 2020

But if they're doing 12 episodes, THEY have to include the December episodes into the following batch. It's really hard to make that point if they are consistently doing 12 episodes per batch. This is the first time the dub has done this in that context we cannot use any past formula. Because either the season will be about 10-12 episodes short not in context with what you're saying about November, the DUB cannot do what they've done before. Unless your saying the final batch of a series might be only 8 episodes for example.

It would make more sense, to have a full 12 episode batch then the following batch of episodes which might take longer, would be for the new season or the new dub opening. Which means a season might have more than 48-52 episodes if that's what the number comes out to be.

In context with other things for Japanese and potential 9th generation and the last episodes of 8th generation anime (if such a thing exists) in context with the Hiatus.:
What I also meant for Japan was that the next generations games and the anime are pretty locked with each other, with some exceptions well for pretty obvious reasons (new franchise after all)

1st Gen was released on February 27th 1996
1st Generation anime was realeased on April 1st 1997

2nd generation was released on November 21st, 1999
2nd generation anime came out if we count episode 117 as the first 2nd generation episode (being Johto related)

3rd generation November 21st 2002
3rd generation anime was November 21st 2002 (since that was the proper Hoenn plot episode).

4th generation September 28th 2006
4th generation September 28th 2006

5th generation September 18th 2010
5th generation anime September 23rd, 2010

6th generation October 12th 2013
6th generation anime October 17th 2013

7th generation November 18th 2016
7th generation anime November 17th 2016

8th generation November 15th 2019
8th generation: Technically November 17th 2019, but you can argue it was more like November 24th 2019 for the PROPER series introduction.

As you can see outside of 1st and 2nd generation they've been pretty matched.

So it's hard to know how they'll handle the actual anime in context with the 9th generation games. Every generation anime has been a clean sweep, therefore in the past they would've had to cut out 7 episodes for the 7 weeks they lost due to the hiatus from the pandemic. If 9th generation anime IS a direct continuation of 8th generation anime, as in seamless than of course they don't need to cut out 7 epsiodes.

And on top of that from a game perspective, they may want to hold off however long production was halted during that hiatus, which would obviously be different than the anime production. So 9th generation could be booted till January or maybe even February, or they'll add a whole other year of development for 9th generation forcing the anime to make a whole other year of episodes, definitely making up those 7 episodes.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
But if they're doing 12 episodes, THEY have to include the December episodes into the following batch. It's really hard to make that point if they are consistently doing 12 episodes per batch. This is the first time the dub has done this in that context we cannot use any past formula. Because either the season will be about 10-12 episodes short not in context with what you're saying about November, the DUB cannot do what they've done before. Unless your saying the final batch of a series might be only 8 episodes for example.

It would make more sense, to have a full 12 episode batch then the following batch of episodes which might take longer, would be for the new season or the new dub opening. Which means a season might have more than 48-52 episodes if that's what the number comes out to be.

In context with other things for Japanese and potential 9th generation and the last episodes of 8th generation anime (if such a thing exists) in context with the Hiatus.:
I think this is just a doubly weird year. The dub changing the airing to these batches, and the hiatus due to coronavirus. Both are unrelated things, but because they both happened the same year, it's confusing. I agree that if the December 2020 Japanese episodes are episode numbers less than 48 (the average episodes a year since AG) because of the hiatus, then they would have to be in batch 4.

dman_dustin

I think this is just a doubly weird year. The dub changing the airing to these batches, and the hiatus due to coronavirus. Both are unrelated things, but because they both happened the same year, it's confusing. I agree that if the December 2020 Japanese episodes are episode numbers less than 48 (the average episodes a year since AG) because of the hiatus, then they would have to be in batch 4.

If we do the math a bit right.

3rd batch comes out to be episode 36.
4th batch would come out to 48 if they are doing 12 episodes. That actually would come out to be November 29th which seems to work which mean the potential 2-4 episodes of December would be in the 5th batch.

But the first season of Sun and Moon episode ended on episode 43 which then makes it difficult if they would include the few or all of the December episodes.

Again I don't know the context of the dubbing, there maybe a reason for why the episodes had like a 48 episode seasons. Which would work out. But I also think it depends on how the dub gets these episodes. Do they only get the November episodes in the context of dubbing them, and then when they are done and have that be finalized or too far into production is when they get the December episodes?

If December only has 2 episodes (accounting for two weeks of breaks), they have episode 25 into the 2nd batch (so that's 13 episodes) that would mean then the 4th batch would only have 11 episodes, if you give batch three another 13 episodes that means batch 4 only has 10 episodes which would be able to include the December episodes.

Either the hiatus allowed the Dub to magically work out 48 episodes a season this generation with episode 48 being the last November episode but of course in reality we should've been already at episode 39 by this week's time, which means that we would've had about 55 episodes for both the year of 2019/2020.

Episode 43 would've aired September 6th if there were no breaks at all. Which means episode 48 would've aired October 11th potentially, so that means that would've been the 4th batch which means that it only would've gone to October epsiode., but then the 5th batch would've had to include the rest of the season including some of the next year's episodes for a 12.

So I guess I'll have to concede here. 48 ends now in the November, so they don't have to include December episodes in that batch. Whereas originally it wouldn't have mattered because 48 would've ended in October, and thus the rest of year would've easily been included in the 5th batch which would've likely been a new season.

But I do have to wonder since 48 is timing up WITH November 29th (if there's no breaks of course), and there's only two December epsiodes wouldn't they just include it, since episode 50 would've been likely the last October.

I just don't know how they're doing the dubbing or how they are getting the episodes. I don't know if they are getting them quarterly as it were where because of the Hiatus they would get the December episodes (49-52) or do they GET straight up 48 episodes (well not all at once obviously, but the last episode they get to dub the next batch ends in episode 48) so they can ignore the December episodes, until they get to doing the next season thus maybe it sits an email or something.

It would really HELP to know exactly how they are given the episodes. If its like the past they definitely get the episodes before the actual episode airs in Japan (so I assume when the episode is fully finished and completed), but is it weekly based or do the Japanese wait for a few episodes to be finished and then give them to the dub production team.

Ultimately whatever happens will happen, either the 4th batch will only include episode 48 the last November episodes if they are strictly sticking to a 12 episode release. Or they might decide to alter it a bit due to the actual content of the episodes, but I won't get into that because of spoilers. I just assume the dub would've already be in possession of episode 25 because it most definitely was likely to air before the hiatus stopped the episodes at 22, since the series resumed with 23 on June after a month and half break.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I hope it's at least 13 this time, 25 is the best episode of the saga and I've been wanting that one dubbed.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
If we do the math a bit right.

3rd batch comes out to be episode 36.
4th batch would come out to 48 if they are doing 12 episodes. That actually would come out to be November 29th which seems to work which mean the potential 2-4 episodes of December would be in the 5th batch.

But the first season of Sun and Moon episode ended on episode 43 which then makes it difficult if they would include the few or all of the December episodes.

Again I don't know the context of the dubbing, there maybe a reason for why the episodes had like a 48 episode seasons. Which would work out. But I also think it depends on how the dub gets these episodes. Do they only get the November episodes in the context of dubbing them, and then when they are done and have that be finalized or too far into production is when they get the December episodes?

If December only has 2 episodes (accounting for two weeks of breaks), they have episode 25 into the 2nd batch (so that's 13 episodes) that would mean then the 4th batch would only have 11 episodes, if you give batch three another 13 episodes that means batch 4 only has 10 episodes which would be able to include the December episodes.

Either the hiatus allowed the Dub to magically work out 48 episodes a season this generation with episode 48 being the last November episode but of course in reality we should've been already at episode 39 by this week's time, which means that we would've had about 55 episodes for both the year of 2019/2020.

Episode 43 would've aired September 6th if there were no breaks at all. Which means episode 48 would've aired October 11th potentially, so that means that would've been the 4th batch which means that it only would've gone to October epsiode., but then the 5th batch would've had to include the rest of the season including some of the next year's episodes for a 12.

So I guess I'll have to concede here. 48 ends now in the November, so they don't have to include December episodes in that batch. Whereas originally it wouldn't have mattered because 48 would've ended in October, and thus the rest of year would've easily been included in the 5th batch which would've likely been a new season.

But I do have to wonder since 48 is timing up WITH November 29th (if there's no breaks of course), and there's only two December epsiodes wouldn't they just include it, since episode 50 would've been likely the last October.

I just don't know how they're doing the dubbing or how they are getting the episodes. I don't know if they are getting them quarterly as it were where because of the Hiatus they would get the December episodes (49-52) or do they GET straight up 48 episodes (well not all at once obviously, but the last episode they get to dub the next batch ends in episode 48) so they can ignore the December episodes, until they get to doing the next season thus maybe it sits an email or something.

It would really HELP to know exactly how they are given the episodes. If its like the past they definitely get the episodes before the actual episode airs in Japan (so I assume when the episode is fully finished and completed), but is it weekly based or do the Japanese wait for a few episodes to be finished and then give them to the dub production team.

Ultimately whatever happens will happen, either the 4th batch will only include episode 48 the last November episodes if they are strictly sticking to a 12 episode release. Or they might decide to alter it a bit due to the actual content of the episodes, but I won't get into that because of spoilers. I just assume the dub would've already be in possession of episode 25 because it most definitely was likely to air before the hiatus stopped the episodes at 22, since the series resumed with 23 on June after a month and half break.

Not gonna lie, if anything I almost expect the first 4 batches to total LESS than 48 episodes not more. After all, the first year of this anime is going to have less than 48 episodes. (when I say the first year, I mean the first 365 days since episode 1 aired, which would end on November 15, 2020)

Super excited for Part 2!

Rob Morrison (or Roger Callagy), Rotom Dex's VA, should return as Poliwrath and if the dub notices the continuity one of the Matori Matrix Grunts

Abe Goldfarb, Kukui's VA could return to voice Electrode, since he was Voltorb in SM.

Jake Paque should return as Skarmory

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I have been pre-preparing dub cast lists for this batch for pkmndub and nothing is too exciting from what we know so far. Obviously COTDs might have some new cool voices but its more or less the same in actors we do know.

Rob Morrison (or Roger Callagy), Rotom Dex's VA, should return as Poliwrath and if the dub notices the continuity one of the Matori Matrix Grunts

Abe Goldfarb, Kukui's VA could return to voice Electrode, since he was Voltorb in SM.

Jake Paque should return as Skarmory
What is Abe's relationship to Ed?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Trey pokes

Both have been going since XY and to this day people keep asking me why they have the same last names, so tiring I swear.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Both have been going since XY and to this day people keep asking me why they have the same last names, so tiring I swear.
Sorry to tire you. I've never heard his name before. Not everyone keeps track of everything.

D

Deleted member 384931

Do you also have the feeling they run out of voice actors? In my country (Belgium) Goh is voiced by the person who voiced Barry in DP. Cant unhear it ugh

RetroPokeFan

I don't think they will Kenzey, Lisa is very good at her direction work, and likes casting unique voices. The Sun and Moon series alone had 88 unique voice actors, add the movies you get 97!

Pokemon Journeys, in just 12 episodes, has had 38 unique VAs.
There's obviously also the fact the dub is bi-coastal now and since the dub is casting LA actors, it has a much bigger variety to choose from.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
There's obviously also the fact the dub is bi-coastal now and since the dub is casting LA actors, it has a much bigger variety to choose from.
Chances are the LA VAs are far better at what they do than more than half the people Lisa enlisted during SM. Though just forcing Lillie's VA to play that horrendous pitch for her voice is enough to cast a big shadow of doubt on her resume.

I hope she realized her nasal voice for Korrina is just horrible...but then again, she was invited to a Sonic Adventure-like reunion with Ryan Drummond and played Amy in the fanmade radio drama (and we all know Jennifer Douillard is best Amy). The future does not look good.

You've been here for a long time so I know that boomer mentality of dub bad can be easy and tempting to say. Maybe you should actually watch the dub to figure out if the acting was good. NY actors are just as talented as LA ones, and there were so many amazing choices for SM that I'm happy to call some of them my good friends. If I'm allowed to be biased for a sec, watch SM72 (with Nicholas Corda as Ulu), SM79 (with Barrett Leddy as Molayne), and SM97 (with Neo Cihi as Hau!)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You've been here for a long time so I know that boomer mentality of dub bad can be easy and tempting to say. Maybe you should actually watch the dub to figure out if the acting was good. NY actors are just as talented as LA ones, and there were so many amazing choices for SM that I'm happy to call some of them my good friends. If I'm allowed to be biased for a sec, watch SM72 (with Nicholas Corda as Ulu), SM79 (with Barrett Leddy as Molayne), and SM97 (with Neo Cihi as Hau!)
Nothing bad with me saying I vastly prefer the LA VAs, though.