• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dub voices you just didn’t like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I recently rewatched the Brock/Misty SM episodes and goodness I forgot how unbearable the new Misty is! Brock improved since the DP days but Misty is just a massive yikes!

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
I can't stand the current James.. He's fine as Meowth, though. Jessie is fine as long as she doesn't go into her really high pitch.

My least favourite voice has to be Korrina though, yikes.

Bendicion

Water Master
Never liked May's 4 kids dub voice... horrible tbh. At least the Japanese is more tolerable.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I didn't really like Sarah Natchomey when she first voiced Ash in Battle Frontier, but luckily she grew into the character and now I feel she's currently just as iconic as Veronica Taylor & Rica Matsumoto

I also have mixed feelings fort Hau's VA. His voice matches the character, but half of his lines didn't sound that believable in the dub
Not sure if you are referring to Hau or the VA, but the VA is non-binary, and should be referred to as "they".

I remember the SOVA or whatever it was in the mid-2000s, and while that was silly, some of those voices in the initial dub for that special were off.
I remember May sounding somewhat older, and Misty was a tad high pitched.
This is, of course, searching in my 15-year-old memory banks, so my recollection may be distorted.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Not sure if you are referring to Hau or the VA, but the VA is non-binary, and should be referred to as "they".
Oh, really? Sorry about the wrong pronunciation, I didn't know

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
I can't stand the current James.. He's fine as Meowth, though. Jessie is fine as long as she doesn't go into her really high pitch.

My least favourite voice has to be Korrina though, yikes.
I definitely agree with Jessie haha. Her voice is fine until she starts yelling. Meowth's voice is a little annoying but tolerable as I think his voice fits his conniving personality. Sometimes with James, at least for me, it's kind of hard to understand him because of how his voice is. Other than that, the 3 are okay.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Lillie's dub voice.

Mars's voice because Lisa Ortiz thinks that nasal voice is totally good or something (and she still ended up using it for Korrina, which still didn't fit her).

Lana's voice, but only because she sounded no older than her twin sisters that you think she was a triplet.

Iris's voice whenever she screamed, which was a lot.

Special Mention: Zapdos's voice

nuzamaki90

I liked Sarah Natochenny’s voice work for Ash when it was a lot more gruff during the AG and DP days. BW going forward I’ve hated it so much. Sounds TOO much like a kid, a little girl at that. Compared to Rica who’s been able to manage her portrayal of Ash based on the setting, the dub is just bleh. I really don’t like any of the voices for the characters in SM going forward.

It’s only when we get returning characters that I can remember there was a time when the voice actors weren’t a bunch of freelance nobodies

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I liked Sarah Natochenny’s voice work for Ash when it was a lot more gruff during the AG and DP days. BW going forward I’ve hated it so much. Sounds TOO much like a kid, a little girl at that. Compared to Rica who’s been able to manage her portrayal of Ash based on the setting, the dub is just bleh. I really don’t like any of the voices for the characters in SM going forward.
I think Sarah changed her pitch to suit the more childish personality Ash changed to in SM, as in trying to make him actually sound like a little kid. I really don't like this new direction with her vocal performance. Seems like several characters in newer series have what I consider unfitting dub voices as well... looking at you, Lillie.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I don’t particularly like Goh’s English voice actor. It should have been Todd Haberkorn instead of Zeno Robinson especially considering that Chloe’s English voice actor is none other than Cherami Leigh. Those two already work great together (Natsu and Lucy) and have near-perfect chemistry with each other.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Can we talk about how awful the dub themes have gotten or is that for another thread
Yeah after BW themes it went downhill. I thought that changed with JN considering how much of a banger the journey starts today is but Master Journeys theme just sucks again
However one thing I've noticed is that while XY, SM's and Master Journeys themes suck, the full versions are usually good. Honestly the only flaw with Be a Hero and Stand Tall is they are too short so you don't get into it, same with SM's themes and Master JN's theme

nuzamaki90

Yeah after BW themes it went downhill. I thought that changed with JN considering how much of a banger the journey starts today is but Master Journeys theme just sucks again
However one thing I've noticed is that while XY, SM's and Master Journeys themes suck, the full versions are usually good. Honestly the only flaw with Be a Hero and Stand Tall is they are too short so you don't get into it, same with SM's themes and Master JN's theme
I actually liked Stand Tall because it had an ounce of that cheesy edge the 4kids openings had. It definitely wasn’t perfect but the full version does it a lot of justice. I also really like the XY version of the original opening theme.

However besides that, I haven’t enjoyed a single a single dub theme since the DP series. The SM and BW themes were just flat out awful to me, and although I’ll bop my head to the occasional listen of Journeys 1st theme, the Master Journeys theme is just bad in my opinion. I don’t understand why the dub themes after 4kids have such a huge focus on lyrics having almost nothing to do with Pokémon lol.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Tbh Stand Tall's only real issue was replacing XY&Z, it's fine on its own. Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaally not a fan of SM's dub themes tho (especially Under The Alolan Moon)
At least it's not like "Rise to the Challenge" where part of audio gets muffled at the beginning

Tbh Stand Tall's only real issue was replacing XY&Z, it's fine on its own. Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaally not a fan of SM's dub themes tho (especially Under The Alolan Moon)
I love XY’s dub themes. SM’s SUCK.
Under the Alola Sun, oh god

Status
Not open for further replies.