1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeons and Starships: A SciFi/Fantasy contest

Discussion in 'The Authors' Café' started by Ledian_X, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ledian_X

Ledian_X Don Ledianni

Approved by Dragonfree and Zephyr Flare.

Dungeons and Starships (A Sci-Fi/Fantasy Contest by Ledian_X)

Welcome to Dungeons and Starships! In this contest, you the writer will take on the vast spectrum of Science Fiction or Fantasy. Or perhaps both? There’s no end to what you as a writer can do when you write in both fields. Science Fiction includes everything from superheroes to space, the final frontier. While Fantasy gives you magic and can really spark the imagination.

Examples of SciFi:

X Files
    Star Trek (All 10 movies and five series)
    Star Wars
    Stargate
    Comics
    Dr. Who

Examples of Fantasy:

Lord of the Rings
    Labyrinth

Judges:

Air Dragon
    Manaphyman
    Katiekitten
    MondoTR
    Ledian_X

There are three parts to this contest:

1. The Submission before the deadline.
    2. The waiting of the judges to read and talk about your story.
    3. The results show.

Now, before you say “Wow, this looks like a great contest! Sign me up!” There’s the unpleasant matter of the rules. Read’em and learn’em well.

1. Good spelling and grammar. That’s the standard here at SPPf. We’ll be looking at that so please use your spell check.
    2. Since we’re using Sci-Fi/Fantasy, a lot can go. You can have aliens, knights or something taking place in the present that’s considered out of this world. It also encompasses a wide variety of genres. But, what makes Sci-Fi, Sci-Fi is usually using something we as humans in real life don’t have. Like say powers, space travel or flying Deloreans. It’s usually out of this world. Futuristic or just plain odd.
    3. The story can be rated anything from G-NC-17. but, if it is NC-17, please make a note of it and note the rating. We don’t want to lose our lunches now do we?
    4. Spend time and effort on. Length for me isn’t an issue. So any length is fine as long as it’s quality.
    5. It can be Pokemon or Non Pokemon. It’s really up to you. Pokemon in itself is Science fiction, too. What with the transporting of monsters into small balls and videophones.
    6. Scripts may be allowed but please keep in mind that they got to be wicked good.
    7. Lucky 7 says have some fun. And have yourself a cold one for reading this far.
    8. You can’t post the entrant on SPPf or anywhere else until said contest is over. It’d ruin the magic I think. That and I am sure people want to be surprised at the winner.
    9. One one-shot per customer!
    10. Submissions can be sent via PM or e-mailing me. I can send thm to the other judges just in case they don't want the world to know their addresses. Mine is cferra1227@yahoo.com. I'll distribute it to the others, too. Unless they want their addys here.

MondoTR: mondotr@gmail.com
    Manaphyman: Send to me LX

The deadline for this contest is Nov 29th. But, it’s flexible. We all have lives so I am being very lenient with this. Bottom line is all entrants must be in by a certain date so we can review swiftly. We can talk particulars later I think.

Anyway, have fun with this contest. Can’t wait to read what you guys produce. It should be very fun!

Addendums: Might be more in the future. Let's call them guidelines.

1. This contest will henceforth focus on the execution of Science Fiction and Fantasy elements in a story Pokemon or non. We, the judges will be looking for elements of the execution of both these genres. Either one or the other. You can have a pokemon story but focus on one element. A fantasy aspect or a Scifi aspect of that world. We'll be looking at how that is executed.

2. Max # of pages you can have is 30. Minimum is 5 pages.

3. It's been agreed that the minum amount of pages is five. One page can't tell much story. So, yes the minimum iis 5. The rule here at spp has the limit of 1 page. And though it's quality over quantity, we just think you can't put that much story in one page. So, five it is.

Edit:

Entrants so far are:

The Big Al
    Flaming Ruby
    Ysavvryl
    Diddy

Getting entries sooner or later from:

Josh
    Duncan
    Bay
    and some others.

LX

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. Air Dragon

Air Dragon Ha, ha... not.

Hey, guys! My Name's Air Dragon (AD) and I'm gonna be one of your judges for the contest!

I'm no stranger to fanfic reviewing, and basically all I have to say is down in the rules.

Relax and have fun with it, OK?

Let your imagination flow free, young (and old) padawans!

L@er!

3. Bay

Bay YEAHHHHHHH

Five judges? Oh boy, we're going to have to wait a year for the results...

Nah, just kidding. :p

Anyways, oh boy I have so many ideas, but I might use the idea I was about to use for the Tragedy Contest (the idea had some sci-fi elements in it). ^^

4. Shrike Flamestar

Shrike Flamestar Video Game Addict

Fantasy and sci-fi? Oh boy, those just happen to be my two specialties. :D In fact, my first fic is pretty much fantasy while my second is pure sci-fi. I'm guessing I can't just use those seeing as I've already written them plus they're both chaptered fics, so oh well.

Would it be fine if I did a spin-off of one of them though? More likely my second fic, the sci-fi one, as the fantasy elements (magic) in the first are limited to pretty much the main characters and are central to the plot so it'd be hard to do a spin-off while keeping that fantasy aspect in.

Then again, I could just as well do something completely new, but the world of TRINITY is large enough that I can easily fit quite a lot of spin-off stories in it. Interstellar starships are very rare at the time of the main story (with only a few existing within the military as well as CYPHER's Avalon which is a prototype for a new line of ships and the personal flagship of their leader, Cygnus) but spaceships for traveling around our own solar system are plentiful. At any rate I don't even need to use spaceships in it, but spaceships are fun! :D

Anyways, no matter what I decide to do, I'll try to do something. Deadline is pretty generous, so we'll see...

5. katiekitten

katiekitten The Compromise

*slumps in, curls and falls asleep in corner of room*

x3 Can't wait to read those entries!

6. Ledian_X

Ledian_X Don Ledianni

*tosses a blanket over Katie*

She's had a rough night last night. Best not to discuss that, the booze, the convertible aand the police.

Anyway, Flamestar, you could always do what I did in the romance one shot contest. Take some of your characters and make a one shot about them. It isn't a problem as long as it's scifi/fantasy. I took two people and made a good story that eventually became a chronicle. I'll allow those.

That and stories about the arceus plates. *smiles nervously at bay*

Your story does seem cool Flamestar. I might have to check it out.

LX

7. The Doctor

The Doctor Absolute Beginner

Yeah, why am I not surprised this came up just after Requiem finished?

No offense, but we've just managed to finish one contest. Do we really need another one this quickly? I know you wanted this over Requiem, hence that whole little fiasco when it was first put up, but please, at least give us room to breathe Led.

On a brighter note, I'm definitely intending to enter this. I'm pretty much new to this, as I've only ever done one contest before, but I'm determined to go for it. I'm thinking "space western" in the mold of Cowboy Bebop or Trigun, but then again, I only did just see this thread.

8. Bay

Bay YEAHHHHHHH

XD Meh, I already told you my dilemma about that idea. I'll just shut my mouth or else I'll reveal what my other ideas might be. Might ruin the magic. xD;

Anyways, quick question. Should the submissons be sent through PM, email, or both?

9. Ledian_X

Ledian_X Don Ledianni

Send it both ways just in case Sppf doesn't want to work right. I'd send it via e-mail just to make things a bit easier. '

Yeah, why am I not surprised this came up just after Requiem finished?

None taken. I did wait a couple days, though. Dragonfree said it was okay to post today. I did ask her first. *shrug* I thought it'd be fine. You got plenty of breathing room. Sorry if I stepped on some toes. But, Dragonfree did say I should post a couple days after the results had been up. *shrug*

Your idea does rock though!

LX

P.S. Bay, don't worry about it!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  10. Bay

Bay YEAHHHHHHH

Okay, cool. Sorry to ask, but may I suggest edit the rules a bit to say submissions could be either PM or email and also maybe list all of the judges' emails if you have them?

11. Ledian_X

Ledian_X Don Ledianni

Not a problem. I was just about to go do that. =D

LX

12. Manaphyman

Manaphyman Up all night

Hey, Manaphyman here! I'll be another one of your judges, and I'm really looking foward to it.

I'm review twenty-something fics here, so you guys are in semi-good hands. Get us those entries!

13. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Glad to see you didn't waste anytime, LX. XD I'll probably enter this, so long as I can come up with a good idea here in the next month or so.

14. Elemental Charizam

Elemental Charizam Sudden Genre Shift

Man, I hate to stir the pot, but, well...

All right, first I'd like to clarify that this isn't meant to cause offence, nor is it meant as an insult.

I'd just like to ask how you intend to monitor this when at least one of the judges in question doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're"; you don't need to be a grammarian to judge literature, but I have to say it's rather strange for someone judging grammar to be ignorant of the basics.

Again, try not to take offence to this. It's a concern, not a flame.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  15. Ledian_X

Ledian_X Don Ledianni

Look, I'll be watching Manaphyman okay? No more needs to be discussed about the issue and if the time comes, I'll help him out. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because he's a good kid. Talk to him once in a while and you might find out for yourself. We've all made mistakes and I know he's a good kid. Just trust me, huh?

I know it isnt an insult and I won't take offense. Just let me work with him and we'll see what we can do. Okay? Great.

LX

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  16. Ejunknown

Ejunknown be creative

BD I am determined to enter this and not get disqualified on length. XD I have an entry started, I think I heard something about a contest like this around easter so started something up then, I'll try to continue it now and see how it goes. 8D *scuttles off*

17. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly

I originally told you all those months ago to at least wait a week before posting the new contest - you're kind of overshadowing the winners of the previous contest who've waited ages to know the final standings.

A week would have been better, but it's too late, I suppose. XP

I don't know if I'll bother entering this. The weird thing is that the Pokémon franchise in itself is pretty much fantasy/sci-fi, so pretty much any fic will do. XP And what about old fics, or old-but-revamped fics?

No need to get so defensive about it - EC specifically said he wasn't meaning to insult. And anyhow, being a "good kid" isn't the criteria for being a good judge. I'm assuming that he's a judge for reasons other than because he's your friend, anyway. >_>

We don't need to talk to him because whether or not someone is a good person is irrelevant to their actual skills. We don't care if he's nice; under these circumstances, if he's a jerk but can get the job done, he'll do. The point is moot. But I agree with EC's questioning - how can grammar be properly judged if an actual juge doesn't know grammar basics?

It's a completely relevant and understandable concern, so please don't brush it away in such a rude manner.

~Psychic

18. poke poke

poke poke hello

I have a question. Is Harry Potter considered fantasy? Cuz' I have a half-written one-shot floating around in my computor somewhere.

19. Diddy

Diddy Renegade

I wasn't sure about entering this but now I read the rules etcetera I really got excited about it and now I'm thinking up ideas for something I could write.

Expect an entry from me, It will either be Star Wars for Sci-fi, I already have an idea about it, or completely original fantasy in an Elder Scrolls-esque vein.

Just writing this post has me excited, I need some breakfast

20. Gardevoir Girl

Gardevoir Girl is NOT a girl

Hmm, I'm intrigued. I think I'll put off my latest personal project a little longer and have a go at this instead. I'm not so good with most aspects of sci-fi, but I did make a fair attempt at a fantasy story once... can crossover fics be included? Pokemon mixed in with something else, since I'm awful with anything that doesn't involve Pokemon?

~GG~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.