• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dungeons and Starships: A SciFi/Fantasy contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Not a problem, Manaphyman. Dani, welcome to the fold. You will bring a keen insight to everything as you've often provided that with other reviews. I can't wait to see what everyone writes. Ya, it's a broad subject but so what? We're supposed to have fun with this. So, let's!

LX

Dragonfree

Just me
In my experience, not all contest judges seem to comment on grammar at all to begin with, so I don't think it's that much of a problem for any judge to just not focus on that - it's hardly the most important part, after all. If the grammar is so bad as to be unreadable, I'm sure Manaphyman will notice it as well as anyone else, and as I said, judges don't always comment on more minor mistakes anyway. :/

Anyway, I don't think I'll enter this, but if I do, it would probably be some sort of Pokémon fic happening in the Morphicverse (as Sci-Fi). That is allowed, yes?

Last edited:

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Morphs do seem to fit SciFi. For some reason I always get the Island of Dr. Moreau vibe from those critters. Probably had something to do with the Articuno Island days or something. That'd be fine to write. They are a product of mad science. It's all good and welcomed with open arms.

Good comment about the judging. If it's bad, people will notice. So, it's really not an issue. The issue again is to have fun.

Manaphyman

Up all night
And with that, we should have an end to all of the fighting here. Dragonfree is right. (Thank you so much by the way, I really appreciate it.)

Now can we please get to the task at hand? Start writing everyone! This topic is broad enough for many exciting entries, and I am anxious to see a few.

poke poke: Harry Potter's fine. I think someone else is planning a Potter story. It's fantasy so it's okay.

LX

What I meant was, are points given on the amount of fantasy/sci-fi in a story and how it is implemented or how well the story is written? Will it still be able to get a good score if it doesn't have lots of fantasy/sci-ci but is based in a fantasy/sci-fi world?

Oh, I'm entering this.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
If there's no limit on the maximum length, the one-shot could end up long enough to be a chaptered fic. Which could be a problem.

True, but in the end the writer will be able to determine if the one shot went a little too long. Also, there was a debate on length back on the Romance One Shot and a few members were a bit mad when they heard the limit to the one shot might be 15-20 pages, believe it might be trouble for some.

duncan

I've got a question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're accepting works from any fandom? If so...how is that going to work. If I remember correctly for the last contest judges who knew about one fandom helped the others and all, but what are you going to do if none of you have heard of it? Maybe a list of "approved" fandoms would help?

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Duncan: Glad you're entering, man. I can't wait to see what crazy stuff you come up with. As for your questions...let's see if I can answer them:

Since SciFi/Fantasy is so broad an area, a lot of things are allowed from any fandom. Like Supers, Star Wars, Star Trek from SciFi and LOTR and Potter from fantasy.

It will work because I'm willing to look into things when I get them. And I'll talk to the judges about it too. I'll accept anything even supes stories. Just as long as it's below NC 17 and has some measure of SciFi or fantasy in it.

Bay: I remember that debacle. It might be best to have a sliding scale. Have it be any page length within reason. Not too much or too less. Yes, goldilocks. I want it just right. It might just depend on how much the person wants to write. I don't want to force people to write x amount of pages.

poke poke: Points are given on that, yeah. However you can still get a descent score if it's well written. Just include some elements in it.

Okay. I hope that clears up some confusion. Any more questions?

LX

Okay, that's cleared up.

But I still can't decide what I'll write.

I do have the Harry Potter story in mind... and then another about a Pokemorph...

Hmmm...

Manaphyman

Up all night
As I recall, you may do anything. If its a crossover...make it plausable. At least, thats what Chris (LX) said.

Good job on clearing everything up though Chris.

Sorry, if I'm asking too many questions, but should I try to cram as much fantasy/sci-fi in my fic if I want to get a higher score?

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
It's fine, poke poke. Just put in as much of one or the other and you should be okay.

Oh and I should probably tell everyone that I picked my judges in late 2007 I believe when I was planning the contest. Everyone from Manaphyman to Dani was notified and picked because of their review styles and knowledgablity of writing.

LX

psyrose3

I want in. It's about time I got to writing something.

*shot*

Yeah, I'm a noob, but I think I can write something worth entering here. So, uh... yeah.

*runs off*

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Well, what concerns me is making it sci-fi/fantasy enough to make it seem like it would fit in the genre, and just not another "normal" pokémon fic. What if we weren't to really tinker with the setting [much] at all, and focus on a concept? Let's say for a moment we were to delve into the psychology of pokémorphs or something of that nature--would that be considered to be Sci-Fi/Fantasy enough, or would we have to give the world and such something of a makeover?

katiekitten

The Compromise
On reviewing, it's a combination of quality and relevancy. You have to have a sci-fi/fantasy element or it won't place high. But what normally cinches it is the quality of writing- I myself won't really be judging on how much sci-fi/fantasy is in it, but how it is handled and incorporated. So just an element will be fine, Saffy? I think I answered your question. xD;

On fandoms... Picking up what you brought up, duncan: If your story is going to use elements of a fandom that can't be explained during the story, either check that I know said fandom, or explain/link me to what I need to know. xD I'd prefer it if I didn't have to do all of the research, but I'll deal. *rolls shoulders*

xD Nice to have you onboard, psyrose! And everyone else. <3

I am most certainly looking forward to the results. :3

...Curse you for posting at the same time as me, Saffy. D: *has edited beginning of post*

Last edited:

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
Since these topics are probably the two I know most about and enjoy the most, I thought I might enter. What I'm wondering is, I haven't really posted much here in the way of fics, so should I enter? Is it more for the veterans, or everybody?

duncan

Since these topics are probably the two I know most about and enjoy the most, I thought I might enter. What I'm wondering is, I haven't really posted much here in the way of fics, so should I enter? Is it more for the veterans, or everybody?

Certainly for everyone, don't worry. It wouldn't be much of a contest if only the same people entered every contest, would it? XD

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
Certainly for everyone, don't worry. It wouldn't be much of a contest if only the same people entered every contest, would it? XD

I was meaning more along the lines of veteran writers, not veteran contest entrants...

Shrike Flamestar

Video Game Addict
On the subject of how much fantasy/sci-fi to put in the story (I’m not touching the judge subject as I don’t want to offend anyone and, er, it’s not like I know any of them well enough to make a valid opinion) there won’t be any problems on my end; I’ve pretty much decided that I’m going to go with a sort of TRINITY prequel that will detail some aspect of Tashima (the main character’s) past. As TRINITY is very heavily sci-fi (with cyberpunk styled themes) there will be no doubting the sci-fi elements in it. A large part of TRINITY’s plot is cybernetics, which I’m sure will play into my entry as well.

Oh, and to make it clear for those confused, TRINITY is indeed still a Pokémon fanfic, just set in the far future (the year 2512, to be exact) where human and Pokémon societies have largely merged together due to developments in Pokémon translator technology, eventually perfected to simple implants that a person could be given at a very young age and for very cheap (or even free in some places). The fact that all Pokéballs ceased to function around 2040 probably also helped in creating a united front...

I can’t say how long it’ll be, but considering my chapters range from 15-20 pages on average, I hope there isn’t a max page limit and if there is that it’s not too strict. My entry may end up being on the lower end of what I write, but depending on how much happens in it it could be much longer...

*Begins thinking about what all he can use from Tashima’s past for the story, focusing on perhaps the incident that resulted in the amputation of his left arm and leg and the need for prosthetic, cybernetic replacements.* Perhaps that would be better saved for a flashback in the main story, but... We’ll see.

After reading all the comments over here, I have decided what to write.

Screw Harry Potter. I'm going to make a spin-off of Pokemon Infinity. It is part sci-fi in itself. People may need to read the prologue in order to fully understand what's going on, but I'll try to include the info in the story itself.

That aside, nobody has a chance against Shrike. TRINITY is the definition of Pokemon sci-fi.

*runs of to write story*

Status
Not open for further replies.