• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dungeons and Starships: A SciFi/Fantasy contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Yeah, Harry Potter is considered fantasy. Of course, it does have its bits of the real world in it. But, it is considered fantasy. It'll go in nicely. So, don't worry about that.

Pokemon is scifi/fantasy. But, I'd like to see something added to it than that. I know Diddy's planning on a fic about something concerning Star Wars. So, i decided to really open the floodgates and let everyone write what their imagination lets them. Pokemon fics are welcome of course. But, let's see what else ya got.

As for the date, again I say that Dragonfree gave me permission. She said to wait a couple days and I did. I didn't mean to overshadow everyone but this was the plan and she said it was okay. So, there we are then. A lot of the people I have talked to also didn't seem to have a problem with this.

Any fic old, new, revamped, lying around in the gutter covered in God knows what is fine, btw.

Now we come to the part about Manaphyman. Guys, I know you have concerns about the kid. But, I will be watching him. He does review pretty fairly. I picked him for a good reason. And that reason is because he's pretty knowledagable about SciFi/Fantasy. He knows certain things and would make a good judge.

All I am saying is give me a chance with the kid. I'm sorry I might have overreacted earlier but really, do not judge lest ye be judged. Yes, he's got spelling confusion. So did I when I was his age. All I can really say about himj without going into detail is that he's a smart kid and if given the chance he'll surprise you.

I'll tell you what though, I'm giving the kid a chance. I'll watch him closely and we'll see what happens. It shouldn't be a big deal. If it is a problem, I'll take care of it. There's nothing wrong with giving someone the benefit of the doubt.

LX

Last edited:

Manaphyman

Up all night
Psychic and LX, Elemental Charizam only brought up his point to snipe at me. You both know that we've had our problems in the past, and he is unable to move beyond that. I am however, and I can promise you that I will be a perfectly competent judge. My grammar and spelling is not as terrible as EC says it is. I can tell the difference between your, and you're, it's not rocket science.

EC, move on please, your comment was offensive and childish. I can do this perfectly fine, although I thank you for your concern.

We don't need to talk to him because whether or not someone is a good person is irrelevant to their actual skills. We don't care if he's nice; under these circumstances, if he's a jerk but can get the job done, he'll do. The point is moot. But I agree with EC's questioning - how can grammar be properly judged if an actual juge doesn't know grammar basics?

It's a completely relevant and understandable concern, so please don't brush it away in such a rude manner.
I know the grammar basics, and I will be fine, I assure you. I am qualified to judge this, otherwise LX would not have picked me

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
I will be entering this because sci-fi is love.

That said, it does strike me as rather odd that anything remotely related to sci-fi or fantasy would count. Someone could write, say, a Harry Potter fic which is has nothing out of the ordinary for the HP universe but which would still be counted as fantasy for the purposes of this contest because the fandom is already based in fantasy and therefore the story would have fantasy elements. Even though none of these fantasy elements would be the author's own creation.

Heck, someone could even write a perfectly normal Pokémon fic and claim it to be sci-fi simply because the stuffing creatures into balls factor is not seen in the real world.

But meh. If the range of entries is going to be as wide as "anything you like in a sci-fi/fantasy fandom as well as sci-fi/fantasy elements added to anything else", then so be it.

I'm probably going to try and come up with something Pokémon-based but with more sci-fi to it than the fandom normally has. Because the most fun part of writing science-fiction isn't the dealing with elements that are already there, but creating your own.

Elemental Charizam

Sudden Genre Shift
Psychic and LX, Elemental Charizam only brought up his point to snipe at me. You both know that we've had our problems in the past, and he is unable to move beyond that. I am however, and I can promise you that I will be a perfectly competent judge. My grammar and spelling is not as terrible as EC says it is. I can tell the difference between your, and you're, it's not rocket science.

EC, move on please, your comment was offensive and childish. I can do this perfectly fine, although I thank you for your concern.

That's simply not the case. I apologise if it seems like I'm getting at you, but it really has nothing to do with you personally.

I stand by my concern, but it seems pointless to pursue it.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Concern noted. Sentiment appreciated. But, the thing is Charizam...there's no need to worry. I'm a big boy. I can handle the manaphy. Okay? Nothing else will be said about the subject.

Dan. My pulse jumped when I saw you posted in this thread, man. No. You can type maybe up to 20 pages I think. I left that open so we can discuss it. The other judges and I are people and all that but I figure 20 pages max is a good even number isn't it? It can be short or long. It's really up to you guys.

LX

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Eh...IMO, I don't think there really should be a limit on one shots. True, we don't want fifty page ones and such, but a limit would make the one shot rushed and very compressed, depending on what kind of situation the story is. That's just me, though.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner

Uh, no it wasn't. I'm not trying to stoke the flames here, hand on heart, but it was just a concern. It wasn't a snide dig, it wasn't childish, he was just pointing something out. That being said, I'm confident you'll do a sterling job MM.

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Concern noted. Sentiment appreciated. But, the thing is Charizam...there's no need to worry. I'm a big boy. I can handle the manaphy. Okay? Nothing else will be said about the subject.

LX

I know you had closed the discussion, but I just wanted to comment. While I think Manaphyman means well and is no doubt a good friend of yours, I have to wonder why he's been chosen to be a judge if you need to watch over him. I think judges should be able to be competent enough to handle themselves, not require help from one of the other judges, or be watched closely. To me that just seems illogical, especially because of the earlier noted problems Manaphyman has with grammar.

I don't want to stir up trouble, or upset MM - I'm sure you'd do your best, but I think these are valid questions - I'm just curious why he was chosen. I'd say for a contest where everything goes, and everything can be made up as a result, extensive knowledge of 'source material' wouldn't be as important as, say, basic grammar.

Manaphyman

Up all night
Nobody is stirring up the flames, but this contest is sure getting a bad reputation.

Look, I can handle it. Like LX, I am a big boy. There are multiple valid reasons why I was picked, and despite what you may think, I do have a knowledge of basic grammar. It wont be a problem, I assure you. It is not your place to question why I am a judge, but to write amazing work for me to judge. Okay? Case closed, thank you everyone for your concern.

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
Oh, so no minimum length then? A two-page one-shot won't be disqualified? Just making sure.

And I'll probably join this if an idea pops into my mind like in the Tragedy contest. I'm a very competitive person, and I'd like to see if I can win this time. XD

Does it have to be heavily based on fantasy/sci-fi. For example, can I write a fic that does not focus on the sci-fi but is set in a sci-fi world? Or write a Harry Potter (just an example) fic with not much magic in it? Will it still be accepted?

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
So many questions...

Let's see.

Bay: Hmm. We should compromise then. The fics can be any length as long as it's longer than a page. That's clearly not enough time to go into the nitty gritty action, right?

Silawen: Whether or not Manaphyman is a friend of mine doesn't have anything to do with his judging ability or why I picked him. I picked him because after seeing his fics and after talking about his love of scifi, I thought I'd add him. I would have also added Big Al but I figured five was enough.

Manaphy is competent, yes. But, I am going to help everyone who asks for it.

Burnt Flower: Yes.

poke poke: Harry Potter's fine. I think someone else is planning a Potter story. It's fantasy so it's okay.

LX

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It's just as well since I was going to enter the contest anyway.

Diddy

Renegade
I would think that it shouldn't have to be heavily based upon the fandom you may wish to write about.

For example, in a Harry Potter fic, you don't have to put any of the main characters in it, you could write about anything as long as it retains the fantasy element and retains the backbone of the fandom your writing about, example, mentionings of the Wireless Wizard Network (radio station) the Ministry of Magic, Diagon Alley etcetera, if its Hogwarts based, then descriptions of areas you are including, (House Common rooms, library, the grounds) would be needed for first of all the fans who know about it and secondly the people who don't, pleasing both crowds will be difficult but pull-offable.

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
Eh...IMO, I don't think there really should be a limit on one shots. True, we don't want fifty page ones and such, but a limit would make the one shot rushed and very compressed, depending on what kind of situation the story is. That's just me, though.

If there's no limit on the maximum length, the one-shot could end up long enough to be a chaptered fic. Which could be a problem.

As for me, I'm planning something that's less of a crossover and more of a very futuristic and sci-fi overloaded Pokemon fic. If only I could keep my ideas straight. I've had roughly sixteen thousand in just the space of four hours today. I'm hoping that my one-shot won't be so long I have to cut short any interesting parts.

~GG~

I didn't realize the range of fics allowed would be so vast. For some reason I thought it'd be much narrower. Not narrow enough to hinder entering but narrow enough to not allow basically everything. I admit that I am a bit disappointed by that however I can deal with it. ^_^

On the note of grammar, spelling, and such, I don't think it should be a problem. Even if someone isn't that great at it themselves doesn't mean they don't notice how others do with it. I know that's an odd statement to make but it does happen.

And my opinion on the Manaphyman/grammar discussion going on, the original post questioned whether someone could judge grammar or not. It never specifically mentioned anyone. So it should be taken as a general statement about all judges. The only reason it led to the Manaphyman 'debate' is because someone believed it to be solely towards Manaphyman. And since that wasn't the case I think simply not continuing that conversation would stop all the strife deriving from the topic.

Phew, I didn't expect my post to be so long. Anyways, Chris (Ledian_X) informed me of this competition and asked me to judge months ago and I have been eagerly waiting for it since then. I'm excited to see so many of you are interested in joining and I can't wait to read your stories. You can send entries to me by PM, e-mail, and/or any other way you have of contacting me. My e-mail is mondotr@gmail.com. Good luck, everyone! ^_^

Last edited:

Manaphyman

Up all night
^I knew I liked you. Definetly a good idea, that way all this crap blows over.

I dont wish to give out my e-mail, but LX will e-mail me your entries. I am very excited about this contest, and I can't wait to see all of your entries!

Status
Not open for further replies.