• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dungeons, not whatthey used to be?

Ememew

Emerald Mew
I agree that the reason the dungeons have gotten less challenging is because I've gotten older. Now I'm more able to see how one floor connects to another. The exception being Rock Tunnel to get to Lavender. When I was younger, I was confused because it didn't seem to link up with any rhyme or reason. Now that I've gotten older and played Fr/Lg I realized that there actually is NO rhyme or reason to how Rock Tunnel connects! One ladder might be to the right of another on one floor, but their corresponding ladders will be in completely different locations to each other on the next floor. Other than warp tiles (like in Silph, Team Galactic's Veilstone Building, etc.) I think Rock Tunnel's the only dungeon to connect so oddly. Well, the Distortion World is another story altogether, but it's a different dimension, so that's expected.

chiper12

Artsy Smeargle
The distortion world was amazing. I really hope they bring it back some time, possibly to venture out and seek information on it as a side quest or something.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Some dungeons are harder than others, but it's the ones with the PUZZLES rather than the mazes that are tricky.

It all depends on the person.

Rentlix

I Lost The Game
The thing about these dungeons is that they are now able to add so much more detail into those dungeons than they could have in the old GBC games. With these details there are much less enormous open spaces because they can easily split that space into multiple rooms. Another factor is the old-school graphics. With just white to black with only red or blue being the grey in between, and with the pitifully low graphics, its harder to use up that space without being confusing to the player. However, in Hoenn the graphics and color quality improved durastically, making it far easier to fill the space of the game logically. That is why the dungeons are so straightforward in the newer ones.

I don't know about you, but the frequency of wild Pokemon in caves seems to have shot up in the newer games. Maybe that's one other reason why we like the older dungeons.

poke'master

Dungeons have gotten much easier. I honestly prefer it though. I grew very tired Victory Road (r/b/y version anyway), and especially rock tunnel. I used to just throw repels on and run threw the thing... well walk anyway.

I'm assuming HGSS has the same pain in the *** tunnels it used to have so for those missing them your in luck :) me how ever, i'm going to stock up on max repels.

If i'm wrong about the HGSS tunnels lets me know, I havent played it yet being in Australia and all.

Bank$

Caves were pretty straight forward in the 4th gen. Very 1 dimensional. I always got lost in R/B/Y because there were so many ladders to go down that led to useless items and no other exits lol.

Sy123456789

Im a pro
Rock Tunnel is the hardest for me. Fire Red was my first Pokemon Game, and it took me a long time to get in there, first time in there no repels, and I just grinded, I had no healing pokemon, and I fainted inside, after all that work, I was so angry I threw the game out and didnt play for a week, then I did it again went through it, I just got away.

Distortion World was pretty good too, but I enjoyed my time just Surfing up and down the Waterfall :)

Xinkc

Knight of Oblivion
Let's see, I had the most difficulty with Silph Co. in Blue. After that, everything seemed simple to me by comparison.

I've never legitimately got through the Kanto and Hoenn Victory Raoads, Sliph Co or Cinnibar Mansion. Most of the post-Gen 3 dungeons didn't even phase me 'though.

Darkmaster Rannon

Thundercats Hoo!
It's so hard, and worse yet is their always changing so you don't know what to expe-

Every dungeon of Every generation, the only time I've ever used a map is for the islands with Articuno and Mewtwo's dungeon.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
They're much easier now because I'm older, and able to comprehend what it is.

Flyers108

Il Gran Negoziante
There are a number of reasons that the older dungeons seemed harder than the newer ones.

As a few have already said, we were all a lot younger back then so our brains didn't work to the same capacity that they do today. There was the issue of bad lighting, pretty much flat graphics, the black and white (green, whatever) screen and of course it was all a new experience.

Ten years on it's the same formula however the fanbase (us) have the experience from previous generations so we know what we're doing in these dungeons and in turn they will inevitably feel smaller than the originals.

I do agree that the older dungeons felt as if they were harder to complete but above are what I believe to be the reasons why.

Actually, while I was playing Diamond and Black for the first time, I was able to pass a small block of land and my Pokésenses would start tingling so I would click around and find the hidden items without the Itemfinder/Dowsing Machine. I find it really funny anytime that I do that.

Skydra

I don't usually have too much dungeon trouble, besides maybe a few from FireRed. I do actully enjoy them aside for the fact that I have to constantly use repels. And the fact that the ******* shiny Hariyama I found in Victory Road (Sapphire) used Whirlwind.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I think they're actually exactly the same, the difference is that in the good ol' days no-one knew what to expect and it was obviously a lot more threatening/challenging. That's why they're not as scary or whatever as they used to be.

herculehastings

I agree that I was a lot more vexed by the Red/Blue/Yellow dungeons than say, in HeartGold/SoulSilver. But I think 1 reason is that I'm more prepared for the latter. I remember to buy more Repels. Much of the annoyance, in my opinion, is that Pokemon pop up so frequently one can barely take a step forward.

I do believe Victory Road in HeartGold is really very short. I know my rival said he'd defeated all the trainers, and that's a good thing, but the road itself was pretty straightforward and surprising. But of course that's a good thing.

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
I say screw that "getting older, you know how to get through the cave better" stuff.
I still get lost in the cave to Lavender twon AND Victorry Roads aren't my best friends either.