• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Duuuddee... Pass the blunt...

DJ Pon-3

Elite DJ
No thats the result of the effects of THC. No one disputes that alcohol is a primary cause in many vehicle accidents. Of course there are other factors such as the unwise decision to drink and then drive, but it doesn't negate the impact that alcohol has on reflexes, inhibitions, and decision making. Same goes for marijuana. Ofcourse nobody overdoses on THC.

duh.

But to deny that marijuana use is responsible for any deaths (especially deaths involving THC and accidents) is to ignore reality.

DJ Pon-3

Elite DJ
The point is any substance that impairs your state of mind, and physical capabilities can make the same argument. That's why sleeping pill commercials tell people not to drive while under their affects. While I'm not denying that the deaths happen, they aren't directly caused due to use of marijuana.

Last edited:
You can rationalize it however you want but if those people hadn't used marijuana before they got in their cars they would not have accidentally killed other people. Regardless of how you spin it marijuana had a large role in the death of those people.

randomspot555

You can rationalize it however you want but if those people hadn't used marijuana before they got in their cars they would not have accidentally killed other people. Regardless of how you spin it marijuana had a large role in the death of those people.

Didn't you just post a "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" picture in another thread?

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Didn't you just post a "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" picture in another thread?

That was actually this thread. There's actually a difference between marijuana killing you and marijuana making you kill yourself. Alcohol, on the other hand, can actually kill someone if they don't do anything else.

Last page actually. I acknowledge both the dangerous effects marijuana has on people's mental states and the personal responsibility that each individual has. You can't say "I'm not to blame because marijuana made me do it" just as you can't say "It was the person's fault not the marijuana." They go hand in hand.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
Really can't believe this thread is still alive but...
Marijuana does not cause any health problems DIRECTLY. Smoking it gives you the same dangers of smoking anything else (I.E. Carbon Monoxide), However, FUMING it (I.E. Vaporizer, Bong, Etc.) has virtually no risks other then lack of judgement. However, the high given by marijuana is significantly less strong then any other drug, including Alcohol.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
You know what else causes drivers to get into accidents? Cell phones. Let's ban cell phones.

...oh wait, you can't use it while driving. Perhaps a similar law could be passed with marijuana?

Would you also agree that we should also make alcohol illegal, because it causes car accidents?

I don't think alcohol needs to be illegal. I think our government needs to do a better job regulating it. In Texas in 2009 47% of all fatalities involving vehicles were related to alcohol. That is not acceptable. Maybe people should have to apply for a drinking license like we apply for a hunting or fishing license. Maybe that way we could take away a person's ability to drink if they abuse alcohol and end up hurting people. Maybe there's some other way to regulate it better. I don't know. I just know what we're doing now is not working.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if marijuana was legalized for recreational use just like alcohol. I don't drink and I don't smoke weed, but people should have the right to do what they want. But because our government is not doing a good enough job regulating alcohol, I fear that legalizing marijuana now would only lead to a bigger mess and more "under the influence" deaths.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
If your issue is regulating it better, the government does an even worse job regulating it (and its effects) as an illegal product. Not to mention that you leave the regulation to black markets, which makes the product less safe. At the very least, the government can set standards.

Oh, I definitely agree with you that the way we're currently approaching marijuana is not working. People are still using it. Other people are still getting hurt in accidents. We do need to do something different. Personally I just think that legalizing it now, without a good system for regulation, would lead to even more accidents than we're experiencing now.

Currently, although it doesn't solve the problem, by keeping it illegal we're putting a "downward pressure" on marijuana use by sending people to jail for it. When I was young and my friends offered it to me that is one reason I didn't accept. I didn't want legal trouble. Illegalization also provides a social stigma, which is another downward pressure. I didn't want to smoke pot because I didn't want other people to think I was a bad person.

This does not work for everyone, and infact, the "downward pressure" actually appeals to some people. Some of my friends smoked weed because it isn't socially acceptable and because it was illegal. This is absolutely not the intended effect of illegalization and we do need to do something different.

But if we take that downward pressure off and legalize now without any system in place to regulate it, to punish those people who use it recklessly and keep those people who can't handle it from getting it and harming themselves and others, I forsee more accidents and more deaths than we're having now under our currently dysfunctional system.

randomspot555

GhostAnime brings up an excellent product.

When you illicitly buy pot, unless you know the seller and the grower, who knows what else is going on in there and what went into the product?

Whereas with alcohol and tobacco, those products, you typically know what's going on and what was used in the making of those products.

And these companies often work closely with law enforcement to discourage underage purchasing of their products, so with pot, you'd likely get legal producers working with law enforcement to combat the remnants of the black market.

Do you guys realize how easy it is to drive while high?
I still have never heard of a car accident involving marijuana. It's always drunk driving.
You know where you're at, you know what's going on, you don't turn into a goofy idiot who thinks they're able to do anything when you smoke marijuana.
Marijuana and alcohol have totally different effects on people. Comparing the two is just crazy.

The fact that alcohol is legal and it causes the most deaths and serious injuries in car accidents, and marijuana is still illegal, yet it doesn't cause nearly any deaths and/or injuries is just insane.

I still have never heard of a car accident involving marijuana. It's always drunk driving.
I don't mean to offend you, but there are many accepted sources that link vehicle accidents with marijuana use. It may very well be that the reason you hear about alcohol involved accidents more often is because alcohol is legal (and not at all well regulated) and marijuana is not legal.
You know where you're at, you know what's going on, you don't turn into a goofy idiot who thinks they're able to do anything when you smoke marijuana.
Marijuana and alcohol have totally different effects on people. Comparing the two is just crazy.
I'll agree with you that THC and alcohol are two very different drugs that have two different effects on people. But marijuana does, in fact, slow your reaction time, make you easily distracted, anxious, and many other things that will make driving more dangerous.

Smoking weed and driving is dangerous and people die because of it.

DJ Pon-3

Elite DJ
I'll agree with you that THC and alcohol are two very different drugs that have two different effects on people. But marijuana does, in fact, slow your reaction time, make you easily distracted, anxious, and many other things that will make driving more dangerous.

Smoking weed and driving is dangerous and people die because of it.

Everything you described except for the slow reaction time is just like the person having ADD and ADHD (much like myself), and most people with ADD and ADHD drive just fine.

Grei

not the color
With what authority do you compare ADHD and the effects of THC?

I'm inferring that he's speaking from experience; he has ADHD.

And he's moreso referring to how you described marijuana impairs driving ability, and how almost all of those impairments apply to people with ADHD as well. He's not saying that, when you smoke marijuana, it's as if you've delved into an "ADHD simulator." He's only talking about the driving ability side, which you outlined.

If you ignore the whole loss of inhibition and motor-skills thing, alcohol kinda makes you like all the cool people I know. It doesn't negate the fact that drinking and driving is dangerous. Same with marijuana.