• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Duuuddee... Pass the blunt...

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Anecdote do have a place in a debate.

Glossary of Literary said:
ANECDOTE --A brief narrative or story often serving to make a point. Anecdotal evidence may be accumulated to substantiate a case or suggest a conclusion. Or, an anecdote may be amusing or entertaining within itself. Anecdotes may be fictional, or non-fictional. Anecdotes are often expressed orally, but good anecdotes find their way into print. For example: Recall the anecdote of George Washington, that he could not tell a lie when he cut down the cherry tree.

Justifying their place in a debate. Trust me I have accumulated a lot of anecdotal evidence over the years. ;) As the debate on reefer has devolved to It's good/it's not good, an anecdote may just be whats needed to spark the topic back into a discussion rather than yes/no.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
It's not about sparking a topic; it's about having a productive debate. Stories don't bring any new evidence to the table simply because anybody can simply say the opposite. You both waste time that way.

And for the last time, your age means jackshit on this forum. This is the Internet.

The lesson I learned that day is, it doesn't matter how many facts you have learned, until you try it yourself you don't know what your doing or talking about.
Depends. There's a difference between using anecdotal evidence to generalize an entire population vs. giving your experience on say.. having cancer.

Anecdotal evidence may be accumulated to substantiate a case or suggest a conclusion.
Good thing this is talking about narratives and not debates.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
GhostAnime said:
And for the last time, your age means jackshit on this forum. This is the Internet.
It won't be the last time I'm afraid Ghost. And sometimes I throw my age in as a light jest, other times, It's to give a reference to how long a topic has been being argued.

Depends. There's a difference between using anecdotal evidence to generalize an entire population vs. giving your experience on say.. having cancer.
I'll concede this only if my generalization is proven faulty.

Good thing this is talking about narratives and not debates.
As to this, I don't have a problem admitting when I am proven wrong. For instance this study determined:
Using age as a control variable also produces mixed results. Among the two youngest age groups (15--20 and 21-23), the differences obtaining between users and nonusers are statistically insignificant, and could have occurred by chance alone; in the youngest of these two groups, the non-user is slightly more likely to have committed four or more offenses, and in the next to youngest of these groups, the user is slightly more so--but in both, the differences are too small to be meaningful. In the 24-to-28-year-old group, the differences approach statistical significance, but they are not substantial (.07 level of significance, using Chi-square). However, among the oldest group (age 29 to 34), the same basic difference in offenses as obtained in the original relationship holds up here; users are about twice as likely to have committed four or more offenses as non-users (28% vs. 13%), and less than half as likely to have committed no offenses (21% vs. 58&). These data appear in Table 10.
The exact opposite of my experience. The older group is slightly more likely to commit crime than younguns, if I have read this right!

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Malanu said:
It's faulty by nature. It's a generalization.

ChedWick

Hasn't happened yet Ghost, hasn't happened yet. ;)

Assuming you are referring to this > "If you get caught basing your argument on anecdotal evidence, you will be laughed out of the Debate Forum."

I'm gonna have to beg to differ.

It won't be the last time I'm afraid Ghost. And sometimes I throw my age in as a light jest, other times, It's to give a reference to how long a topic has been being argued.

He is right though.

Want to retract that non-sequitur re. celebrities and drug use?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Assuming you are referring to this > "If you get caught basing your argument on anecdotal evidence, you will be laughed out of the Debate Forum."

I'm gonna have to beg to differ.
Oh I'll get laughed at. I may even join in the laughter, but out of the forum, I don't see that happening.

Well let's be honest, without wanting to get masturbatory here, you're currently arguing with three of the better debate forum posters. All three consider your paucity of evidence and reliance on anecdotes to be inherently flawed. Does this not suggest something?

Of course you won't literally be laughed out, but your credibility surely will.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Well when you put it that way Sno... I can't say it won't happen again though as I'm not a master debater (pun intended).

Apparently this:
Originally Posted by Malanu
Just last year how many famous people in Hollywood died off of legal prescription drugs?
Was not a legitimate counter argument. After discussing the merits or lack there of with Sno, I apologize for using it, and retract it's use.

Last edited:

yuff

Decriminalize, regulate then legalize. Stop wasting resources on it and make a profit and jobs from it.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Perhaps Mexico should just have Marijuana shipped to those that request it in a special manner. That is much better than the current situation with the illegal aliens or having it legalized everywhere.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Well i don't smoke it nor do i have any intention to, and yes it should be banned as i hate hippies :D (but seriously it's illegal for a reason)
Tell us this reason.

Thriller

Its almost time
I'm pretty sure 90% of all people who believe Marijuana should stay illegal aren't aware of why it was made illegal in the first place.

They may as well legalize it, because people do it anyway. The activity is really not as uncommon as you think, you will learn that once you turn 20.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
I've written much longer posts about this in the past and I'm not going to dig them up or write anything of length today, although some of the older posters here (GhostAnime?) may remember. But here's my few thoughts.

As much as I think the illegality of marijuana and of drugs in general is destructive, one thing that sure ticks me off is the pure ignorance that perpetuates in most of the pro-marijuana lobby. Smoking dope is perceived as some sort of soft drug and almost harmless by far too many people, including almost all of the lobby. Unfortunately for the many who smoke it, that's simply not the case.

Basically there is a lot of very good evidence linking marijuana to early onset psychosis and schizophrenia. It's both clearly visible if you do any work in mental health wards (a twenty year old with psychosis is a sad sight indeed, and its almost always correlated to marijuana), and more and more visible in the number of statistical and meta-analytical studies into the issue. A landmark paper in the Lancet from a few years ago springs to mind (unfortunately I don't have time to dig it up, I'm sure people who have debated this before would know of it though). This doesn't prove causation obviously and there are some strong arguments that THC merely lowers the threshold for psychosis (and thus unleashes it in those prone to it anyway) and this is something the smarter elements of the pro-cannabis lobby have lept onto, but let's consider what this actually means. It means that instead of having a possibility of developing psychosis when you're forty or fifty, you're going to get it when you're twenty after a year of getting high every weekend. I don't think many people who support the wider use of cannabis really understand fully what this would mean: schizophrenia is an incredibly disabling and debilitating disorder. If you develop it in your twenties your entire life is essentially blown to pieces: even if you make a recovery, from there it'd be almost impossible to be successful in your career, establish a family, do the things that in the long term you'd probably want to do with your life. From this point of view, marijuana is far more dangerous drug in far more subtle ways than cigarettes and alcohol.

I'm not advocating for the full prohibition of marijuana. Personally I think it should be decriminalised, although I would want to see its sale remain illegal; if you take drugs its one thing but as far as I'm concerned dealers are the scum of the earth. People should have the ability to make the choice of what they want to do with their lives, and smoking pot is one of those choices. Unfortunately it is an incredibly bad choice, and a choice that many of those who now advocate it in a few years will come to regret.

If you take drugs its one thing but as far as I'm concerned dealers are the scum of the earth. People should have the ability to make the choice of what they want to do with their lives, and smoking pot is one of those choices.

Amazing contradiction in a very small amount of text. Congratulations.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Amazing contradiction in a very small amount of text. Congratulations.

No. Even though they make something of a choice (and often an incredibly compromised one) to take drugs, the addicts who came into the emergency ward I used to work in got a lot of sympathy from me. As for those who sold them the crack, very little. To profit from dealing complete poison to others is not just a choice about what a bikie gang member wants to do with their own life, it is a ruinous choice to thrive on the misfortunes of others. Pardon me if you find that blunt.

EDIT: looking back on some of the previous things said in this thread, it seems very little people would care to argue about the harms of marijuana. I hope this means that everyone here accepts that it has substantial harms. I would be very open to debating these or their extent, if anyone wants to though, since the decriminalisation debate seems to be completely one-sided here, and I don't think I know enough to make anything close to a valued judgement on whether the sale of marijuana should be legal (I'm convinced it should remain illegal in the case of harder drugs, though).

Last edited:

I'll think you'll find it was.

Even though they make something of a choice (and often an incredibly compromised one) to take drugs

Very important word in that bit. Starts with a c and ends with an e.

To profit from dealing complete poison to others is not just a choice about what a bikie gang member wants to do with their own life it is a ruinous choice to thrive on the misfortunes of others. Pardon me if you find that blunt.

You must hate bar owners and shopkeepers.

EDIT: looking back on some of the previous things said in this thread, it seems very little people would care to argue about the harms of marijuana. I hope this means that everyone here accepts that it has substantial harms.

Potential substantial harms. Another important word you forgot to add.

Power464646

The game
What has 'grass' accomplished anyway?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
What do you mean?