• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Duuuddee... Pass the blunt...

ChedWick

more evidence still that there are many people out there looking to abuse medicinal marijuana

I think an obligatory "This is why we can't have nice things" is appropriate, wouldn't you?

Having medical marijuana legalized nation wide would be a big step forward but it would indeed lead to alot of abuse. Though, if we decriminalize it, the authorities can just handle it with fines and such. No need to waste money going to more extreme measures to punish an abuser. At least if we legalize it medically, local growers can start, growing quality, safe marijuana...

That theoretically should start weaning the nation off of cartel pot. That would atleast set up the recreational industry.

Having medical marijuana legalized nation wide would be a big step forward but it would indeed lead to alot of abuse.

A partial reason as to why decriminalisation is a much better path to take.

Also, it's worth putting this "abuse" into context. Patients will still only be getting as much pot as they are subscribed. The abuse will be of the system rather than of the drug.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Okay, this is my first time viewing this thread, and I don't have the time to view all 27 pages of it, so I apologise in advance if anything I say has been brought up before. I just figured I'd put in my own two cents on this matter.

Overall, I'm for the legalisation of marijuana, basically for the same reasons as a few other people have pointed out. First of all, it's less addictive and produces fewer harmful side effects than alcohol and tobacco and many prescription or over-the-counter drugs. Secondly, legalising any drug reduces the crime rate and makes prisons less crowded. I will also point out that quite frequently, black-market versions of a drug are more dangerous than its legal counterparts. You never know what might be mixed in with them (I've heard of weed being laced with things like PCP without the customer realising it, for instance). It's harder to trust the drug's quality--it might be inadequately stored, for example. In this way, legalising any drug makes it overall safer for use. Marijuana is no exception to this.

And now I will present a couple of marijuana mythbusters that may or may not have been brought up in this thread before. One, THC isn't its only active ingredient. There's also cannabihydrol (something like that; I don't quite remember the exact name). While the former is thought to promote psychosis, the latter actually prevents it, counteracting this effect of THC altogether.

Secondly, I've heard evidence supporting the fact that marijuana can actually promote lung health, even when smoked. I know a couple of people who started smoking it in hopes of curing their asthma, and they never had an asthma attack since. To cite a more personal example, I've actually found it easier to breathe after smoking pot for a while. I think it made my throat more sensitive, but that's the only bad thing it seems. I also happen to like the smell of pot smoke for some reason.

Third, let me emphasize this fact: smoking isn't the only possible method of marijuana use. It is arguably the easiest and quite possibly the most popular method, though. But it can also be ingested, vapourized, and even applied to the skin as a lotion or patch! So anyone who cites smoking hazards as a reason why marijuana should stay illegal is making a moot point.

I also agree with what people have been saying about differences between being drunk and being high. True, both alcohol and weed affect the brain. But they affect different parts of the brain, and in different ways. Ethanol and THC are very different molecules, so they interact with the synapses between specific neurons in very different ways. The two sensations might feel similar to some people, but they are by no means the same.

Oh yeah, and that brings me to another point, which was at least brought up on the first few pages: it affects everyone a bit differently. Just as there's a wide variety of ways people act while drunk, there's a wide variety of ways people act while stoned as well. Some people act retarded. Some people are very peaceful and relaxed. Some people freak out and have hallucinations (which are mild compared to those caused by other drugs like psilocybin and LSD, I might add). Some people act more philosophical/spiritual than usual. Some people feel a strong urge to pig out on junk food. It really depends on the person. Self-awareness of a drug's effects is very important in its use, and that's what many people seem to not get. If you try it and have a bad experience, it's probably not for you, and you shouldn't get on other people's cases about it unless they're clearly doing harm to others while under the influence. And did I not mention that this thread talks about a drug that in most people prevents people from doing harm to others?

That brings me to my next point: driving stoned. Based on my personal experience, it's safer than driving drunk. Why? Marijuana doesn't impair judgment in quite the same way that alcohol does. (Alcohol is a depressant, after all.) So it's easier to judge whether you've smoked too much. It is possible to focus properly while stoned, but in some cases it takes quite a bit of willpower. At least that's been my experience anyway.

I'll never forget the time when I smoked pot with some friends, and afterwards I remembered that I was going to take some guy on our first date. Despite the fact that I was quite high the whole time, the date went smoothly, I was able to drive with few problems, and my date didn't even notice anything wrong with my behaviour. However, while I was driving, I took extra precautions to assure that I was being safe and focused, being more careful than I normally am. Oh yeah, and there was another time when I drove on a winding mountain road while stoned. During about half of the drive, a cop was following me, but he never pulled me over. Now, I'm not saying that driving while stoned is perfectly okay. I'm saying that it's just possible, as long as you use good judgment beforehand and do it in moderation. The real problem with people driving under the influence of anything is that they could make stupid mistakes if they're not careful about it and don't know what they're doing.

Also, I LOL'd at the proposal that using medical marijuana for anxiety disorders can cause panic attacks. I'm not quite sure how sound that evidence is, but I can see it happening in some people. I think the main reason why I LOL'd was because I myself am using medical marijuana for anxiety issues, and have never experienced a panic attack before. I have had minor freakouts when I smoked a little bit more than I had intended, but after sobering up I always felt happy and relaxed. Of course, that's just my experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Points to consider for legalization
Less resources used to enforce the law
Less drug related dangers
Reduced criminal activity
It isn't a harmful drug
Potential revenue
Medicinal value

Less resources used to enforce the law and potential revenue
Currently in it's illegal state, marijuana prohibition costs the United States an estimated 7.7 billion dollars in enforcement. If it were to be legalized this money, in addition to potential government revenue from government regulation, could be focused on more important things like actual crimes, national healthcare and curing cancer (I'm somewhat joking on this last one, but it would be a more fruitful pursuit nonetheless). If taxed like your average consumer goods, marijuana could pull in over 2 billion dollars of profit. If taxed like alcohol and tobacco that number could triple to over 6 billion dollars.

Less drug related dangers and reduced criminal activity
If legalized marijuana would be virtually non existent on the black market due to inflated prices. As it stands you can't get it legally, which means in addition to paying for the product itself you're paying for the drug dealer to put himself at risk of persecution, which means you're putting more money into the pockets of criminals and drug cartels. If the government regulates it the black market won't be able to compete with the prices. On top of inflated prices, getting anything illegally means putting yourself at risk. Either by means of tainted product (marijuana has been found to be sprayed with fiber glass to emulate thc crystals, which indicate higher potency) or physical confrontation. If the government meant to protect its people, it could legalize marijuana without infringing on anybody's personal freedoms while stopping infringement on those who choose to use marijuana and get punished for it.

Medicinal value and lack of harmful effects
Marijuana wasn't originally banned because of it's effects on people, but because of the people using it and corporate profit. Racism played its part in the banning, but over exaggeration of it's negative effects was what eventually lead to the countries approval of the government ban. Such popular quotes as “Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men", “Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing” and “You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother" agreed with popular opinion at the time, and with no means of proving otherwise without doing the drug themselves, the people were more than willing to let it go.

Eventually tests were conducted, and though at first they were as one sided as the original prohibitionists who painted the drug a dirty portrait, in modern times it has been proven to be an extremely successful treatment for glaucoma, a strong pain reliever and even containing anti cancerous agents. No, marijuana isn't the perfect drug. But it's not nearly a bad or harmful one either. In comparison to alcohol and cigarettes which can adversely effect anybody who uses them, marijuana's most prominent negative effect is exacerbation of schizophrenic conditions. So to say, the main negative effect, is only applicable to people with a preexisting condition that only occurs on %1 of the population. Besides that, memory recall is effected when impaired and after long term abuse, especially in brains that are still developing, however after discontinued use memory recall has been shown to return to normal.

Points to consider for keeping it illegal
Legalization would enable kids to obtain the drug easily
Marijuana is perceived as a gateway drug
Negative effects of the drug
Marijuana is addictive

Legalization would enable kids to get the drug easily and it's a gateway drug

Whether or not it's legal or illegal, kids will get it if they want. In my case it's actually EASIER for me to get weed as opposed to alcohol. It's sold in school, in class, outside of class, everywhere. In order to get alcohol I have to go through the trouble of finding somebody over 21, going to the store with them or having them go for me. If the government wants to protect the kids, they'd legalize it. If they want it they'll have it, and it's better for them to get it through somebody running into a store and getting legal safe product, than to buy it from a street dealer who put fiber glass on it.

The gateway theory is realistic. But only considering marijuana's legal status. When you have to go through a drug dealer to get marijuana, they'll want to sell you other drugs. And after hearing that marijuana was so bad from the government, they'll mistakenly assume that the government is generally full of ****. Boom, the gateway theory.

Doesn't really work in a legalized industry.

Negative effects of the drug and addictiveness

Anything can be addictive. People get addicted to coffee, or caffeine. There are two kinds of addictiveness, one is physical and the other is psychological. While stopping a daily intake of caffeine can result in a crash, there's no such crash involved with marijuana use. You might want to do it again but that goes for everything you like.

a post a friend of mine made on another forum. i couldnt have phrased my thoughts any better. as long as alcohol and cigarettes are legal there is no reason at all why marijuana shouldnt be legalised.

a post a friend of mine made on another forum. i couldnt have phrased my thoughts any better. as long as alcohol and cigarettes are legal there is no reason at all why marijuana shouldnt be legalised.

Just because it isn't as bad for you? ....Why don't we legalize other drugs that are better for you then cigarettes and alcohol.

Keep it illegal.

i dont get the logic. why do you want to keep alcohol and cigarettes legal while devoting an significant amount of money to an inane 'war on drugs' against marijuana?

ThePooplord

Emperor Doctor
Just last year how many famous people in Hollywood died off of legal prescription drugs? Those drugs were legal and controlled. No, making pot legal won't solve the issue. I have nothing against smoking pot, it is less harmful that drinking and many prescription medications (oxicotin, morphine, I'm looking at you!), pot is illegal frankly because the government cannot control it any other way. By making it illegal was their only way to make profit off of it.

One thing to note about those deaths and pot's illegality, the government doesnt want you to buy drugs, it wants you to buy THEIR drugs, the perscription drugs, because it pumps the mind control into you, where as weed alone is not able to do this, and since the government cant regulate sales federally, they therefore refuse to federally legalize it.

YES.

1. It isn't very harmful in the grand scheme of things. For instance, it's almost impossible to overdose on weed. But it's pretty easy to overdose and die on ibuprofen. Really, eating a lot of junk food and eating unhealthily is WAY more dangerous than smoking weed will ever be. Yet it's not illegal to eat unhealthily.

2. It's less harmful than other legal substances such as alcohol and cigarettes.

3. It is physically non-addictive.

4. It has valid medical uses.

5. It's a pleasant and safe recreational activity.

6. I'm a total stoner and have been for several years and it's had no negative impact on my life or the lives of my friends.

7. I believe it's the individual's choice whether or not they want to put something into their system. I don't think it's the government's place to decide this, and I feel somewhat violated that they have made weed and the hallucinogens illegal and then gone on to completely lie about their effects.

8. Seriously what's with the government and blatantly lying about the effects of things like weed, LSD, shrooms, etc? That's not cool dude.

9. The "war on drugs" is a gigantic waste of time, money, and resources in general. It also generates crime, much like any kind of contraband does.

Last edited:

A7XPWD93

Johto GS Original
I agree whole heartedly with Fluorsauro
And, wescobbcrandle, where were you two hours ago? There was plenty of smoke in the air, guess you dont wanna party?

golduck#1

Until some gives a valid reason on why alcohol isn't illegal then it cannot be justified for weed to be illegal.

ChedWick

Until some gives a valid reason on why alcohol isn't illegal then it cannot be justified for weed to be illegal.

Prohibition is a pretty good reason why alcohol isn't illegal. But I don't think that's exactly the point you were trying to make.

Breeder Drew

Make it legal. Or don't. People will still smoke it.

Personally, I'm straight edge. That means I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. That also means that I couldn't give two shits about what they do.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
Personally, I'm straight edge. That means I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. That also means that I couldn't give two shits about what they do.

This is a very selfish view. Just because it doesn't affect you, doesn't mean you can just ignore it. And in any case, it does affect you indirectly- it's one of the hurdles to, y'know, being actually free.