• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Duuuddee... Pass the blunt...

BurningWhiteKyurem

I could easily argue that Marijuana doesn't cause deaths because it is illegal and people are far less likely to use it in public areas where poor judgement can lead to injury.

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that it prevents people from having access to marijuana (1920's Alcohol Prohibition for instance).

Let me ask you something, how do you perceive marijuana as 'dangerous?'

It has to come to consistency, it makes 0 sense for alcohol to be legalized with the harms to human life when marijuana is criminalized and causes no death.

Eterna

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that it prevents people from having access to marijuana (1920's Alcohol Prohibition for instance).

Let me ask you something, how do you perceive marijuana as 'dangerous?'

It has to come to consistency, it makes 0 sense for alcohol to be legalized with the harms to human life when marijuana is criminalized and causes no death.

No, but it being illegal stops people from using it openly and in great quantities. Marijuana is dangerous because it impairs motor skills.

It's not about "two wrongs making a right". It's about consistency. If they're going to make a particular drug illegal, it should be because that drug is more harmful to society than others. Legalizing certain drugs arbitrarily is injust. Marijuana's been proven to be as dangerous if not less so than alcohol, so there's no logical reason to keep it illegal. Besides, many of the people who'd want to smoke marijuana probably already use drugs already (legal or otherwise), so it's not as if legalizing it would suddenly turn huge chunks of the population into potheads. If you want to say marijuana should be illegal because it's dangerous, that's fine. But then by that logic, pretty much every other drug should be illegal as well. After all, if two legal drugs are bad, how is one much better?

Why though? In my opinion Alcohol should also be illegal, but it's so ingrained into our society that it's removal isn't possible at this point. I'm still not seeing why we should allow another substance that affects motor skills and can lead to harm just based on the principle and the fact we already have one that is legal.

And if something is legal then yes, it's popularity will increase as there is no repercussions for using it.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm still not seeing why we should allow another substance that affects motor skills and can lead to harm just based on the principle and the fact we already have one that is legal.

Because it's unjust to say you can do X and not Y arbitrarily when they both do the same thing, that goes against the idea of freedom. There has to be some logical reason why Y is more harmful than X to justify that.

Eterna

Because it's unjust to say you can do X and not Y arbitrarily when they both do the same thing, that goes against the idea of freedom. There has to be some logical reason why Y is more harmful than X to justify that.

I agree, but I think both should be illegal. But since that will never happen, we may as well keep one dangerous substance away. It's not perfect but I feel it's necessary.

BurningWhiteKyurem

No, but it being illegal stops people from using it openly and in great quantities. Marijuana is dangerous because it impairs motor skills.

You're assuming that the effects are consistent (like alcohol) when it is the contrary:

While it is well established that alcohol consumption increases accident risk, evidence of marijuana's culpability in on-road driving accidents and injury is far less clear. Although acute cannabis intoxication following inhalation has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment is seldom severe or long lasting.[19-20]

In general, cannabis-induced variations in driving behavior, when present, are less consistent or pronounced than the impairments exhibited by subjects under the influence of alcohol.[25] Unlike subjects impaired by alcohol, individuals under the influence of cannabis tend to be aware of their impairment and try to compensate for it accordingly, either by driving more cautiously[26] or by expressing an unwillingness to drive altogether.[27] Further, numerous studies report that experienced cannabis users develop tolerance to many of the changes in cognitive or psychomotor performance associated with acute cannabis intoxication.[28-30] Most recently, a 2010 double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 21 heavy cannabis users assessed the impact of alcohol or THC inhalation on measures of perceptual motor control (critical tracking task), dual task processing (divided-attention task), motor inhibition (stop-signal task), and cognition (Tower of London). Authors reported: "Alcohol significantly impaired critical tracking, divided attention, and stop-signal performance. THC generally did not affect task performance." They concluded, "[T]he present study generally confirms that heavy cannabis users develop tolerance to the impairing effects of THC on neurocognitive task performance."[31]

As a result, cannabis-induced variations in performance do not typically appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents when the THC levels present in a driver's blood are low and/or cannabis is not consumed in combination with alcohol.[32-33] For example, a 1993 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration review of the role of drug use in fatal accidents reported, "[T]here is little if any evidence to indicate that drivers who have used marijuana alone are any more likely to cause serious accidents than drug free drivers."[34] A more recent assessment by Blows and colleagues noted that self-reported recent use of cannabis (within three hours of driving) was not significantly associated with car crash injury after investigators controlled for specific cofounders (e.g., seat-belt use, sleepiness, etc.)[35] A 2004 observational case control study published in the journal Accident, Analysis and Prevention reported that only drivers under the influence of alcohol or benzodiazepines experience an increased crash risk compared to drug-free controls. Investigators did observe increased risks – though they were not statistically significant – among drivers using amphetamines, cocaine and opiates, but found, "No increased risk for road trauma was found for drivers exposed to cannabis."[36]

http://norml.org/library/item/cannabis-and-driving-a-scientific-and-rational-review

Why though? In my opinion Alcohol should also be illegal, but it's so ingrained into our society that it's removal isn't possible at this point. I'm still not seeing why we should allow another substance that affects motor skills and can lead to harm just based on the principle and the fact we already have one that is legal. And if something is legal then yes, it's popularity will increase as there is no repercussions for using it.

What do you mean why? What kind of law would allow inconsistencies? And you're making the presumption that if decriminalized, that marijuana is going to run amok with no restrictions. That will be false, considering that the government will probably attempt to put as many restrictions as possible (decriminalizing marijuana would affect economics so gov't needs to rectify that, which is going to affect consumption which also needs rectification, which affects consumption with regards to driving etc. which also needs rectification. So basically decriminalization would lead to revisions). Bolt summed it up nicely when he said it's unfair (and arbitrary) to allow X to be legal while Y is illegal due to undermining the core principles of freedom.

Eterna

You're assuming that the effects are consistent (like alcohol) when it is the contrary:

I'm not assuming anything, the evidence you linked even said "evidence of marijuana's culpability in on-road driving accidents and injury is far less clear." So we legalize it and hope for the best? And saying that cannabis induced impairments are less severe than alcohol impairments seems like poor justification for it to be legal. the fact remains it does impair you and accidents will happen.

What do you mean why? What kind of law would allow inconsistencies? And you're making the presumption that if decriminalized, that marijuana is going to run amok with no restrictions. That will be false, considering that the government will probably attempt to put as many restrictions as possible (decriminalizing marijuana would affect economics so gov't needs to rectify that, which is going to affect consumption which also needs rectification, which affects consumption with regards to driving etc. which also needs rectification. So basically decriminalization would lead to revisions).

No, I'm well aware that it would be restricted. But restrictions haven't stopped multiple cases of drunk driving incidents.

BurningWhiteKyurem

I'm not assuming anything, the evidence you linked even said "evidence of marijuana's culpability in on-road driving accidents and injury is far less clear." So we legalize it and hope for the best? And saying that cannabis induced impairments are less severe than alcohol impairments seems like poor justification for it to be legal. the fact remains it does impair you and accidents will happen.

That's why I said 'assuming effects are stable and consistent,' the study said less-clear because it is referring to how when studying subjects, the effects of cannibis on subject A could be more adverse than subject B's, whereas with alcohol, you consistently see that it impairs judgement. Even then other quotes have supported the idea that there is no clear-cut evidence to assume that cannibis will cause accidents.

Eterna

That's why I said 'assuming effects are stable and consistent,' the study said less-clear because it is referring to how when studying subjects, the effects of cannibis on subject A could be more adverse than subject B's, whereas with alcohol, you consistently see that it impairs judgement. Even then other quotes have supported the idea that there is no clear-cut evidence to assume that cannibis will cause accidents.

But why take the risk?

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Marijuana doesn't kill. It kills as much as drinking water (which means that the lethal dose has to be huge to kill).

Why worries? Just be happy and smoke. Don't like? Don't smoke.

There is no evidence to support that legalizing marijuana wouldn't result in more incidents related to the drug, nice try though. The only evidence you could possibly have would be anecdotal. If a illegal substance is made legal more people will use it due to there being no prejudice, with more people using there would naturally be more incidents involving the drug. It's common sense.

How you could argue otherwise seems silly to me.

Again, it's in the thread. Your refusal to read does not mean it does not exist.

BurningWhiteKyurem

But why take the risk?

From that same study.

As a result, cannabis-induced variations in performance do not typically appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents when the THC levels present in a driver's blood are low and/or cannabis is not consumed in combination with alcohol.[32-33] For example, a 1993 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration review of the role of drug use in fatal accidents reported, "[T]here is little if any evidence to indicate that drivers who have used marijuana alone are any more likely to cause serious accidents than drug free drivers."[34] A more recent assessment by Blows and colleagues noted that self-reported recent use of cannabis (within three hours of driving) was not significantly associated with car crash injury after investigators controlled for specific cofounders (e.g., seat-belt use, sleepiness, etc.)[35] A 2004 observational case control study published in the journal Accident, Analysis and Prevention reported that only drivers under the influence of alcohol or benzodiazepines experience an increased crash risk compared to drug-free controls. Investigators did observe increased risks – though they were not statistically significant – among drivers using amphetamines, cocaine and opiates, but found, "No increased risk for road trauma was found for drivers exposed to cannabis."[36]

VIA

<<< Recent Shiny
I smoke most days so this will seem very prejudiced but I bought the D.E.A.R. bullcrap as a kid. Ill admit Ive driven while stoned, it was not good judgement and I regret it but I have to say - It didn't affect my driving at all and I was super high. Coming down from a high while driving is about as stupid as driving drunk but driving WHILE in an active high is not that dangerous in my experiences. You get tired while coming down from a high and there have been times where I come back from "walks" at 6:00 at night and take an hour long nap. Maybe thats just me but I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

As far as legalizing it goes. Its not a dangerous drug. Its safe to use no one has ever died from it. It has no known cases of direct links to lung cancer and your lungs dont start breaking down until after 7 years of heavy smoking and even then the affect is minimal. Its better than most known pharmaceutical drugs for a variety of reasons and can slow down tumors particularly in the brain and lungs. Lung cancer.... oh how ironic this is..

Soldierer

Why though? In my opinion Alcohol should also be illegal, but it's so ingrained into our society that it's removal isn't possible at this point. I'm still not seeing why we should allow another substance that affects motor skills and can lead to harm just based on the principle and the fact we already have one that is legal.

And if something is legal then yes, it's popularity will increase as there is no repercussions for using it.

You do realize most of the drugs humans consume impair motor skills right? Most of the drugs you take for valid medical reasons, even cold and allergy medicine, shouldn't be used in conjunction with heavy machinery, eg cars. Unless you think all drugs should be banned because they can potentially be very dangerous you're just being arbitrary here.

VIA

<<< Recent Shiny
Ive decided to end any nonsense in this thread concerning myths.
Myth: It kills brain cells.
A study done by Ronald Reagon that said weed caused brain damage. The study was done like this: They pumped 63 strong joints thought a gasmask for an excessive amount of time(more than 5 minutes) with no air. After 4 minutes your brain shuts down and you start suffocating which is why there was brain cell damage. Besides the fact they were suffocating the moneys 63 joints in 5 minutes is way more than humanly possible to intake.

Link to new study showing CUB coud stimulate braincells: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051016083817.htm

Myth 2: It causes lung cancer: There has never been one case of lung cancer where the person used ONLY marijuana. The chemicals in tobacco are HUGELY different from marijuana mainly in the way its mixed and in the actual chemical itself. Only 50% of a tobacco cigar is tobacco the rest is much more harmful chemicals that reduce the harshness of the smoke and make it smokeable and enjoyable.

LINK: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

Myth 3 Mairjuana is a gateway drug: Marijuana can only be considered a gateway drug this way: When you go to a dealer selling weed if hes a serious dealer he could also be selling harder drugs like cocaine or meth. He may try to push these drugs on you or you may be more inclined to try them. That is the ONLY reason that marijuana is a gateway drug. Taking the drug is your own choice and self control. If you wanna try harder drugs go ahead but dont blame it on the herb! Also all my friends who DO smoke it started on alcohol and cigarettes not weed.

LINK: http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/29/marijuna-as-a-gateway-drug-the-myth-that-will-not-die/

Anyone who is against marijuana because of impaired motor skills HAS to be against alcohol and a variety of other abused pharmaceutical drugs like Adderal and even Asprin(yes to much asprin can impair motor skills) or they are just being prejudiced. I havent really checked the entire thread but does anyone really know why marijuana is ilegal? The days of Harry Anslinger?

Whitn3y

Pretty Princ3ss!
I believe every drug should be completely legal and (somewhat) unregulated. (A bottle of cocaine should really have 100% cocaine, not baking powder) It's the buyers responsibility to use his purchased drugs in a safe manner, not mine or the nanny states. I don't mean just narcotics either. If you want a bottle of Lithium then bygod you should be able to buy it. If you were too dumb to ask a doctors opinion and it turns out making you sterile then that's your own fault. Same thing with seat belts, safety goggles, bright orange hunting vests........ safety is your own personal responsibility!

iFi Salamander

I'm a vampire!
I believe every drug should be completely legal and (somewhat) unregulated. (A bottle of cocaine should really have 100% cocaine, not baking powder) It's the buyers responsibility to use his purchased drugs in a safe manner, not mine or the nanny states. I don't mean just narcotics either. If you want a bottle of Lithium then bygod you should be able to buy it. If you were too dumb to ask a doctors opinion and it turns out making you sterile then that's your own fault. Same thing with seat belts, safety goggles, bright orange hunting vests........ safety is your own personal responsibility!

Oh trust me, you don't want shrooms legal within a 90 mile radius of you.

Marijuana is fine to legalize. Alcohol has been proven to kill more brain cells than weed.

Flash-Sama

...Nonsense
Yes it should. It puts everyone in a better mood.
The only thing I would advise new blunt rollers to stay home and smoke on your porch (if youre old enough to)
But another good reason herb is should be legalized is because everyone will be hungry..making the food industries more money due to hunger alone.
They will need to get product from someone that can match the demand rate of people that are going to said food places.
They will turn to the farmers and hence they will make more money and everyone is happy

The only downfall I see is that maybe the government would manufacture and too me that wouldnt be the same thing that was grown

But anyways..smoke up..lifes short :)

Peace out and be safe ;p

BurningWhiteKyurem

The government would be ALL over that for prescription drugs. You're going to take away accountability on the Drug Company's behalf to blame the consumer for a prescription drug that may have been deemed harmful?

Imagine that being implemented during the Vioxx Era...

MTeriyaki

well its legal here in california and if youre smart youd just go to your doctor and make up some lies about being chronically depressed or some other bull. Itll eventually be legalized whether you want it to or not. history repeats itself (prohibition)

well its legal here in california and if youre smart youd just go to your doctor and make up some lies about being chronically depressed or some other bull.

Actually, all those medical marijuana places are closing down now. (I live in California too) I guess some law changed.

Honestly, it shouldn't be illegal just because it impairs motor skills. Being tired impairs motor skills too. Just let people do what they want! If people are sitting in their backyard smoking weed, how is that hurting anybody? Yeah, if studies find that driving high is dangerous, then sure, make DUI laws. But seriously, also tax it! Imagine the economy boost! Drug cartels in Mexico will be out of business as well, so more jobs in the USA!

EDIT: Also, as for the other drugs, maybe they should be legal but heavily controlled (like guns?). You would need a license or something. Actually, studies have shown that the use of drugs is more widespread in countries where they are illegal.

Last edited: