1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamax Battle! Leon, The Greatest of Them All!! (1101)

Discussion in 'Pokémon (2019)' started by Serebii, Feb 9, 2020.

1. lolipiece

lolipiece Check it out! Staff Member Moderator

...Why is this a bad thing, exactly? The game developers obviously used Lance's HGSS attire as inspiration for the Dragon Gym uniform. Even if that's not the in-universe reason, it's clear as day that was their intention.

The writers probably wanted to reference that, but since Lance hasn't worn this outfit until now, they passed it off as him being inspired by it instead.

You mean Lance, he who buys multiple copies of the same cape from the Celadon Department Store? Dragon Master or no, he's a giant dork. This is not out of character for him.

2. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

OBJECTION!

By that logic, any Pokemon in the stadium could have gone kaiju anytime they wanted during a thrilling battle between champions!

wolf jani likes this.
  3. Eddieursa

Eddieursa Marsh Trainer

I'm worried about something. I'm afraid this episode could be censored at any time.

The first scene with the plane, when suddenly lights turn off (surely because of Eternatus), could be like the first hint for a plane crash. I don't want to bring bad luck, but what if a real plane accident happens in real life and this episode is banned? It's like they banned the episodes with Barboach and Team Rocket fighting Team Plasma.

4. Ignition

Ignition I change these way too often

What? It’ll only be banned if it happens to be unlucky enough to air around the time of a disaster. That’s like being worried the SS Anne 2/3 parter will be banned because a irl boat could sink sometime in the future. This just feels like unwarranted paranoia.

5. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

Yeah, it would be suspended for a while if this episode was aired during the tragic event in Iran last month, just like the XY boat sinking episode that was aired very close to the tragic event in South Korea at the time.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  6. Eddieursa

Eddieursa Marsh Trainer

I just noticed something. In the subbed version of this episode, they mention Lance's Red Gyarados is the evolved form of a Golden Magikarp. That's technically true, but that's not the case with Lance's Red Gyarados. Remember, according to its episode's debut, this Magikarp was a regular one that was forced to evolve because of a machine of Team Rocket. As consequence of this forced evolution, Gyarados kept the red color from his Magikarp's stage.

I guess Lance decided to keep this story in secret to avoid the public being disturbed or something.

7. pancakemonster

pancakemonster Does this look like the face of mercy?

Really great episode, I could quibble about a few things but really the fight was cool and the cliffhanger was actually super effective (pun intended).

I actually really like the game-adapted music in this show, most of the battle scenes I feel have been really enhanced by it. Can't wait to see how all this is resolved next week.

8. satopi

satopi Go’s Scyther is indestriketible! <3

All Hail the Mighty Charizard!!! We all knew Leon would win not just based on the title, but merely because he owns an ace Charizard. Not surprising in the least bit.

Great episode as always! The writers reminded me that they know how to create good battles after the bs lurkwarm battles Go had that we suffered through watching the past episodes. About time the TRio’s shenanigans backfired on them and became useful to the main plot. That Bellsprout was marvelous!:)

9. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

I think its a little too late to ban the episode, since its already aired unlike the Team Plasma episodes. As for the Barboach episode that was also unaired.

At most this episode might phase out of existence if anything happens but I don't know how much Japanese care about episode rotation. Plus I suppose the simple fix is just to remove the plane scene if anything.

On the DUB side, I'm not sure that they would censor anything as nothing really happens except the lights turning off, not really what I would call "cause for concern" or what would be considered "insensitive"

Except that also affected the Japanese airing. It's way too late now to worry about banning/skipping this episode.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  10. Eddieursa

Eddieursa Marsh Trainer

How about the episode about Lorelei in the Orange Islands? I saw that episode for years, and now I can't find it anywhere because a banning without sense.

11. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Samayo Kiri, Keeper of the Gates Ethereal

That's banned because of Jynx.

Also he has 3 of the same Pokemon on his team.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    mehmeh1 and Ignition like this.
  12. Juaquin

Juaquin Well-Known Member

this episodes drives my theory from reddit a little bit more that ash will show off a possible gmax dragonite, why would they choose gyrados over dragonite when lance is synonymous with dragonite, combined with dragonite never receiving an upgrade mega/z move etc, and it being ash's first capture leads me to believe they have something big (pun intended) waiting for ash's dragonite

13. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Splendid episode

14. FlygontheRavager

FlygontheRavager #1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

Well, no. Remember, Team Rocket had to break the ground apart before Drednaw could Gigantamax. Meanwhile, Lance and Leon used their Dynamax Bands to make their Pokémon go kaiju. The energy was contained beneath the earth, so unless a sudden eruption of D-Max energy occurred, no one could Dynamax without a Dynamax Band.

15. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

Well, that kind of brings another issue altogether.

Is it even safe to be around the stadium grounds if it's that easy to make Pokemon Dynamax.

16. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

They probably didn't make the place safe on purpose because they wanted the viewers to be excited of tragic events, outside of Pokemon battles, like they always do in the past.

17. British Soul

British Soul Top Hat Regulator

Thoughts:
    - Blimey, I wasn't expecting Eternatus to appear this early, that was an interesting surprise to say the least.
    >Go: I'll catch plenty of pokemon while I'm at it
    >Also Go: *catches nothing this episode* (Which makes this the first episode since SS005, which was also a Galar episode where no changes to his collection was made)
    - I do like that they maintained (anime and in-game) continuity by saying that Lance is a G-Man, as well as bringing up the PWT in Driftveil City
    - Another thing I thought was neat, was having the SwSh Gym Guide (Dan) as the judge for the battle
    - I also liked that they used some of Lance's dialogue from HGSS before the battle started, as well as after the battle as well (apart from adding Pokemon World to the latter line)
    >Ash and Go gushes over the Red Gyarados
    >Me: Gee, it's not like Ash hasn't seen that Gyarados before... oh right, flushed continuity
    - It's nice to see shiny pokemon exhibting sparkles when exiting a pokeball, the last time this happened was a pokemon that was also acquired in Johto, namely Ash's Noctowl in his battle with Conway in DP185.
    >Ash displays surprise upon Charizard using Thunder Punch
    >Me: Another instance of flushed continuity, it's not like Ash battled against a Thunderpunching Charizard or anything... *cough*Alain*cough*
    - The Dynamax battle was pretty cool to watch and remains faithful to the games, both used 3 Max moves, and the Max Guard blocked the Wildfire, but not the secondary effects.
    - Lance explains that his current outfit (from HGSS) was inspired by Hammerlocke's gym that he trained at. Of course given that Lance hadn't appeared since AG (where he wore his FRLG attire), the writers decided to say that Hammerlocke's uniform inspired the outfit he first wore in-game a decade prior, and it's clear that in-game this would be the other way around. It's a neat work around tbf.
    - One thing I did note was that Dan said that Lance's Gyarados evolved from a Gold Magikarp, but we know that this wasn't the case as it evolved from a regular Magikarp in the Lake of Rage as a result of the forced evolution experiment, hence why it was still red. I will say that I legit forgot this when I watched the episode, in any case I'm sure the Pokemon G-Men decided to cover up the truth about Gyarados' evolution as it was forced during Team Rocket's Project R, instead saying that it evolved from a shiny Magikarp.
    - I thought it was amusing that TR seemingly got another dud from their lottery machine, but after seeing the strength of said Bellsprout, I was reminded of the Bellsprout Ash fought in the Indigo League.

One other thing I want to know, where did Giovanni get that Rotom phone? Big Think.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  18. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Well, my fears were confirmed - Dynamax battles have a lot of style, but not much substance - the particle effects were very pretty though

Loved the Ceteradex

Also, it is SCARILY easy to unleash enough Galar particles to trigger dynamax. How is Galar not a smoking crater?

mehmeh1 likes this.
  19. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

TRio were fun this episode with their misunderstandings about Daimax. Getting a Madatsubomi from their gatcha vending and it turning out to be beast was pretty innovative, did seem weird that apparently an attack could damage a power spot enough to cause the energy to trigger a Kyodaimax. Seems a little dangerous and immersion-breaking since any trainer battling even a little aggressively would unleash a kaiju onto Shoot City by accident. I also dig their Rotom Smartphone, the voice is actually really cute and childish. It also seemed to have a bit of snark to it simply listing basic info on Kajirigame...then informing them of it violence after it was too late.

Satoshi’s “sensing” Eternatus was good detailing, similar to how he felt Lugia. Wataru v. Dande, had low expectations due to the idea of kaiju fights sounding not so interesting (little strategy, not much mobility, etc.) Using Daimax moves to dodge along with the effect it would have on the field held my attention. Kyodai Hell Fire looked pretty cool in the anime. The regular base fight was meh, kept bugging me why Champions are literally standing still and letting their Pokémon get hit. SwSh game tracks were A+. I mainly enjoyed the fight for the charm and theatrics using Daimax on a battle formatted level if anything.

Satoshi recognizing Wataru was about what I expected, inexplicit at best. They kept the same character intact by mentioning his heroics through the G-Men. Dande’s voice was great but the actual character himself I find not so interesting. I do like how theatrical he can be with his movements, poses and phrases. Gives his character a certain charisma and pop, not unlike Dent or a character from a show like Ouran Host Club. On a base character level though I hope the anime expands on him more beyond flashiness. Mostly a setup episode, hoping next week offers more of substance.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  20. bramblest007

bramblest007 New Member

World championship, presumably featuring champions from the 8 regions that appeared in the anime so far (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola and Galar), or every region in the world including the ones we haven't seen. Lance is the most iconic champion, because he's gen 1, but I would say Cynthia from Sinnoh is the strongest champion I've seen so far.

Ash is the only Alola champion and yet he didn't know or wasn't invited. Says a lot about what the world championship committee thinks of the Alola league. I wonder if this is the anime hinting to us that even they think Alola is a joke and that Ash is not at the same level as the other champions.