• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dynamax Battle! Leon, The Greatest of Them All!! (1101)

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
AirPods Pro vs. Drednaw was actually nice, showing how fearsome Dynamax can be when standards aren't equal.

Eternatus right off the bat, Lance and Leon's iconic battle, I guess it will be one of the episodes I'll revisit to watch couple of times.

Ok I'd like to comment about this episode since it was the first I've watched from this season if not of the entire anime show for the longest time. I can't remember the last episode I've watched.
So this is a comment from somebody that does not watch the anime at all. I don't know what is about, the fandom about it, or anything. I only watched this episode for one thing.

Because probably I'm not the only one who came by just because of Leon. Yep, that was the only reason, fight me.

Anyway, don't worry, I won't just be talking about how awesome he is.
About the episode itself.
Oh hai Eternatus that was one way to make an appearance. Niiiice

Now I came to watch with low expectations, I did understand most of the dialogue and indeed both Lance and Leon did not say anything relevant but I was more entertained looking at Leon's character while talking, he's definitely a showoff in a good way! 5 seconds and his personality was there in a nutshell. The cape spin, the bow and high five with the Charizard were gold.

The battle itself
Errrrrrr
I don't think I'm on position to say the animation inside the stadium was a bit underwhelming? There's points I even forgot there was an audience. I don't know if the anime does that sort of short number framed animation all the time but sure did not give me a good impression on me about that.

Underwhelming is another word to call the first part of the battle, it was.....huh....kinda random? How can I call it, I mean, it was like an exchange of blows without strategy. If the anime has that liberty, why not showing how strong and experienced they really are? I was getting a bit disappointing seeing how Charizard was getting owned that easily

until the Dynamax part came by

Nevermind, that was epic!
I really liked that part! Entirely twist of the thing, Gigantamax Charizard dominated completely the field starting there and whooped the floor with the fish with ease.

Oh Team Rocket is still alive, I haven't seen (and remembered) them forever. Interesting how they just angered a random Drednaw and it suddenly just Gigantamaxed lol

So I know next episode is another one I must watch, Leon is going to battle the twerp for some reason.
It's not like he's going to lose there against a mere Pikachu when he was just dubbed the strongest pokemon trainer of the world (no matter how much I love him, I just feel the anime is exaggerating on that part when Cynthia and other champions exist) but maybe it will be interesting. Will Pikachu Dynamax or Gigantamax that's the question

While I don't like the idea to the twerp being the one to defeat him cuz plot armor, in another side I'd like to see Leon lose just to watch his reaction lol

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Just watched the episode and it was pretty entertaining all around (specially before the D-Max), nice battle and even the Dynamax part looked nice to me. Nice to see Satoshi recognizing Lance right away, Leon come off as a pretty likable character like in the games.

Eternatus at the start was a surprise.

Badass Bellsprout was beating the Dreadnaw up, I'm hoping Satoshi gets the Drednaw now, since he is possibly beating it next week I want him to do a Giant Pokeball capture.

D

Deleted member 384931

Tbh, I honestly thought Charizard was gonna lose for a bit. Dynamax is static, the pokémon didnt even move much. I guess dynamax Charizard instead of Gigantamax Charizard. And I still think Leon is a show-off games and anime wise

nuzamaki90

My Japanese isn’t the best but did they say that the Dragon Galar Gym uniform is based on Lance’s uniform? Or vice versa? That’s so lame haha

This episode was so great, my absolute favorite so far (sorry Dragonite) and it was well worth the wait. The PWC got some good setup, seeing Lance again was great, the battle was unexpectedly awesome especially the first half, and they really showed out with Leon! Everything was there from his charisma, his confidence, his catchphrase, and that damn Charizard pose haha!!

So ready for next week!

Rohanator

I'm not sure if I like that we now know who the world's strongest trainer is. There's a weird sense of finality to it. Like where do you go from here? Dande has to be Satoshi's main goal from now on but if he beats him at the end of this series that's it, he's done. I know he explicitly said in this series that being a Pokemon master is more than being the strongest trainer but it's the only part about it that can have any tangible progression in a TV show so once he achieves that he SHOULD be done. Make him win and then end on a "and the adventure goes on" note. Prolly not though lol but if the writers just ignore what this would mean for the following series it'd be unbelievably boring. And if Satoshi DOESN't beat Dande it'll still feel weird cause we'll know he's the end goal so just keep focusing on him over whatever gen 9 region is.

Well, putting aside the meta implications, cool stuff, this is one of those episodes that really makes you think about how the world is larger than what we see in the show, like there was a full tournament between various champions and elites to decide the WORLD'S ACTUAL #1 TRAINER and we only saw a glimpse of it, so many potential stories and characters to explore in there (this isn't a criticism, we don't need to see all that cause this is not their story, it's GOOD when a world feels alive beyond the main characters). I think about other characters we know who probably participated in this. How did Shirona do? How does she feel about it? Or Daigo? Adeku? Carnet? Some Elite Fours like Ohba and Kanna as well. I definitely would've felt for Shirona the most, and think she deserved to be in the finals over Wataru but I'm glad she wasn't used to hype up Dande at least.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I'm not sure if I like that we now know who the world's strongest trainer is.
World's strongest trainer....from the trainers who participated in this tournament.

For example, there's no way of telling whether or not Leon is stronger than Cynthia as she didn't appear here, so the 'strongest trainer' title is kinda meaningless.

'Strongest trainer of this very specific tournament' might be a more fitting title.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'm not sure if I like that we now know who the world's strongest trainer is. There's a weird sense of finality to it. Like where do you go from here? Dande has to be Satoshi's main goal from now on but if he beats him at the end of this series that's it, he's done. I know he explicitly said in this series that being a Pokemon master is more than being the strongest trainer but it's the only part about it that can have any tangible progression in a TV show so once he achieves that he SHOULD be done.
Keep in mind though that even this has no real finality to it. It's a yearly competition, and there can be little doubt that the title holder changes on a regular basis. And as others noted, we don't know if all the strongest trainers even compete each year.

For instance regarding my first point, while this may not apply to the anime, Sword and Shield's upcoming DLC character Mustard is noted to be considered legendary because he managed to hold the seat of Champion of a region for 18 straight years, a record that has yet to be broken. In other words, most champions have much shorter "reigns," (not that they can't reclaim their titles of course).

It's interesting to consider how top trainers have ups and downs during their careers. Again with Sword and Shield, Kabu is considered one of the strongest trainers in the region and even nearly became Champion at times during his long career. Yet, by trying different strategies of varying success, he even got relegated to the minor division of gym leaders for a time before eventually rising up and having a "fantastic match" with Leon that solidified him taking his current role as the first major roadblock in the gym challenge.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Leon's hype is very specified. They're advertising the current gen game, so of course they'll be praising him left and right. But in the anime-verse, Tobias should be stronger (if only the writers still bothered to acknowledge him.)

I bet that if DP remakes come, they'll be hyping up Cynthia again.

Rohanator

World's strongest trainer....from the trainers who participated in this tournament.

For example, there's no way of telling whether or not Leon is stronger than Cynthia as she didn't appear here, so the 'strongest trainer' title is kinda meaningless.

'Strongest trainer of this very specific tournament' might be a more fitting title.

Keep in mind though that even this has no real finality to it. It's a yearly competition, and there can be little doubt that the title holder changes on a regular basis. And as others noted, we don't know if all the strongest trainers even compete each year.
Do you also say this about real life sports? "Oh he might not REALLY be the best boxer cause the actual best wasn't in the competition" bruh who cares? If you don't show up you don't count. Sure Satoshi might be a humble guy who won't care about the title as much as others but if he's officially recognized as the world's best trainer, even for one year, that's still the most we can really ask to see in terms of progression in a show.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So, funfact: Dande's whole speech to Wataru before the battle begins? The whole thing was taken verbatim from the game.
The tense, still air on the pitch... And the exact opposite from the audience, cheering and yelling... They're both fantastic, wouldn't you say?
But remember, the audience is also a bit cruel... They want nothing more than to see one of us lose, after all! It can fill you with fear knowing that, but I absolutely love pushing past the fear. I love giving it everything I've got as a Trainer and seeing my team give everything they've got to seize another victory! It's the greatest feeling in the world, and I can't get enough of it!

EDIT: Okay, not quite verbatim. He doesn't reference his team, and "pitch" was changed to "battlefield".

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Nice that they included that, though it would have been more meaningful if he and Lance actually used a "team." Heck, I would have been satisfied if they just skipped to the final team members, so long as they made it clear there was a longer battle that we didn't get to see.

On another note, maybe it's just the screencaps Serebii used and it looks better in motion, but is it just me or does anime style Drednaw look really off somehow compared to game Drednaw? The design looks distorted, the eyes lifeless.

On yet another note, Eternatus being free does explain how power spots can randomly appear, but at the same time it seems this version of Eternatus isn't so prone to power incontinence sending scores of pokemon rampaging (admittedly even in the game this mostly happens because Eternatus is forced into a state of power overload).

Leon's hype is very specified. They're advertising the current gen game, so of course they'll be praising him left and right. But in the anime-verse, Tobias should be stronger (if only the writers still bothered to acknowledge him.)
Tobis is a real enigma given he only seemed to exist to defeat Ash and win the league, there was no backstory to him and barely a personality. But I think we've seen enough over the years to know that even having multiple legendary pokemon on your team doesn't make you greater than a Champion. Heck, one had three Regis for a time and he was "merely" a Frontier Brain. One should especially consider that there seems to be a world of difference in power between "regular" legendaries and mythicals like the Latis and Darkrai and "box legends" (like how in the Darkrai movie Darkrai can do little more than block attacks from Dialga and Palkia).

Point being that nothing we saw from Tobias indicates he's more powerful than Leon or any other champion. His legendary pokemon were simply presented as more powerful than most pokemon, but far from unbeatable. And we don't even know if his whole team was legendary/mythical pokemon.

Last edited:

diakyu

Eternatus causing issues here will likely lead to its capture by Rose if they want to do that plot

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
...So did they explain where TR got that Rotom Phone from? I know those aren't as special as the one-of-a-kind(?) Rotom Dex, but you'd think we'd get an onscreen appearance of them buying one.

I do like that it's black. Not only does it make it more distinct from Ash and Go's, it's also a nice reference to the games, where they do in fact come in a variety of colors.

But if they get to have a different colored phone, then why do Ash and Go have to share the default orange?