• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dynamax Battle! Leon, The Greatest of Them All!! (1101)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I've never minded the anime being aimed at children. Actually I think it's better if it stays that way.

Yet, I didn't like Ash's design there. I thought it was just... Not the best. Specially after such good designs on Kalos.

Simply put: I don't mind if it looks "kiddy" as long as the design is good.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I find it strage at first but it certainly grew on me. I still prefer XY overall but the current design is quite solid. That dynamax band even made it cooler as weird as that sounds.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The dub made TR's Rotom Phone less "cutesy snark" and more "uwu babby". I guess it's an interesting change, though I'll have to wait for later appearances since that's where it shows more character.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Lmfao, TR's pokedex was funnier then TR have ever been in the anime.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
That's the trouble with having a Rotom serve as a pokedex I guess, some of them are just not going to be interested in doing anything but lazing about in the device.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
One notable thing I saw about this competition is that it's mentioned to be the first one (it being mentioned that until now the various regions have never tried to officially settle who among them is the best). Perhaps that's why the final match was 1 vs. 1? i.e. it's something the leagues are just trying out to see if it will be successful and may not have settled on how they want it to be going forward.

That is, if Ash ever does reach a similar rank, I find it hard to believe they'll make his match anything less than a full battle.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Yeah kinda early. What does that mean?

Zekrom appeared early, and it meant nothing.

Eternatus before Sobble, Grookey, and the wolves? Wut

Ho-oh appeared before Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile.
Zekrom appeared before Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott.

Ok wow, Eternatus. Totally didnt see that coming. Props to the writers for hiding that in the previews.

Also nice that TR finally got their own Pokedex

I don't think the writers choose what to show in previews. It's probably TV Tokyo. I doubt the writers chose to show Ash holding that trophy in, was it, the Oha Suta preview? Def not writers decision

Gotta say that was one badass Bellesprout. Reminded me of the one used by Ash's fourth opponent in the Indigo League

Jeanette Fisher!

Hey I gotta say, I am so glad we didn't see yet another Charizard vs Dragonite match. Although it was weird to introduce Lance as a Dragon-type trainer and have him use Gyarados in the finals. I think Gyarados used Dragon Dance so I guess that was the justification.

The episode to me was pretty meh, just because I don't care for neither Lance or Leon, including the Pokémon used.

The TRio has their own Rotom Smartphone... and it's black?? Why do both boys have the red one? Lame. At least theirs isn't shouting obnoxiously.

I think they made him use Gyarados specifically as an Easter egg for longtime fans, to confirm to us that it's the same Lance.

Exactly, this would be the big finale to this massive tournament. It would be the match people were most excited to see. Even if the entire tournament had been 1v1 you would think the finals would be more. I'm not against what was shown or anything and I get the constraints of what they had to do for the show. I just think its amusing to think about when you equivocate what this would look like in the real world. It would be the only thing most people were talking about for weeks.

Not sure if you follow soccer/European football, but think about the Champions League. Every match before the final is a two-game total goals series, then suddenly for the final it's just one match. It's not unheard of for a final to decrease the amount of competition compared to previous rounds.

Well, that kind of brings another issue altogether.

Is it even safe to be around the stadium grounds if it's that easy to make Pokemon Dynamax.

I don't think it's very easy to break the whole ground to access the spot.

Which makes this the first episode since SS005, which was also a Galar episode where no changes to his collection was made

Um, what about Scorbunny?

I think it's hard for people to accept that Pokemon anime is a show aimed primarily towards children, and SM faces just remind them of that fact. Hence the intense dislike for them. People who can accept the anime for what it is will enjoy the faces just fine.

I think those people have some sort of unnecessary inferiority complex.

-------

Okay! Here's my overall take on "Part 1" of Journeys on Netflix.

Episode 1 was too rushed; as I've said in a different thread, if TV Tokyo had given them a full hour opener like past generations, they might have been able to expand on the Pichu backstory a bit more, and also not waste time by shoving in Goh and Chloe backstory in the same episode. I would have preferred a 2-parter here.

I liked episodes 2-5, hated episodes 6-9 besides Ash's battle at the Battle Frontier, and was starting to get worried I would HATE a Pokémon series for the first time in my life, but then i LOVED episodes 10-12, which were easily the 3 best so far.

Ironically, you would think that if 3 consecutive episodes are someone's 3 favorite, they would be an arc or something, but no, all 3 were separate. Ash catching a freaking Dragonite are you kidding me, then finally some Chloe backstory and a Chloe focus episode after I had started to wonder why the **** she was even in the op, and then this EPIC Leon vs. Lance episode that not only showed us a battle between two CHAMPIONS but also potentially set up Ash's next goal!

I also liked the fact that while probably unintentional if it's just because of the episode number (12 episodes a quarter), it worked out perfectly for this to be the last episode of the part since it ended on a cliffhanger! Looking forward to 12 more episodes in (hopefully) September.

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Okay! Here's my overall take on "Part 1" of Journeys on Netflix.

Episode 1 was too rushed; as I've said in a different thread, if TV Tokyo had given them a full hour opener like past generations, they might have been able to expand on the Pichu backstory a bit more, and also not waste time by shoving in Goh and Chloe backstory in the same episode. I would have preferred a 2-parter here.

I liked episodes 2-5, hated episodes 6-9 besides Ash's battle at the Battle Frontier, and was starting to get worried I would HATE a Pokémon series for the first time in my life, but then i LOVED episodes 10-12, which were easily the 3 best so far.

Ironically, you would think that if 3 consecutive episodes are someone's 3 favorite, they would be an arc or something, but no, all 3 were separate. Ash catching a freaking Dragonite are you kidding me, then finally some Chloe backstory and a Chloe focus episode after I had started to wonder why the **** she was even in the op, and then this EPIC Leon vs. Lance episode that not only showed us a battle between two CHAMPIONS but also potentially set up Ash's next goal!
Episodes 10-12 were indeed pretty much exactly what the show needed. I mean part of me thinks it should have happened sooner (like, let's give the Battle Frontier episode a pass because it helps re-establish Ash's battle prowess, but episodes 8 and 9 were just a bad idea) but all three of them were indeed pretty great, and gave the show some much-needed momentum. And thankfully, I don't think the show has ever sunk to the same lows as episode 8 and 9 again since then. Not every episode has been great... but none of them have been that underwhelming, not even the ones that felt the most fillery.