• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Dystopia" fics

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
Hello all,

I want to know your opinions on "dystopia" fics. I am planning a Pokémon Fanfiction entitled Dystopia, inspired by books like 1984, Animal Farm, The Giver, Anthem, as well as a couple of other dystopic novels and television shows. Now, combining elements of both science fiction and Pokémon is a bit difficult, but also, I was wondering what your take is on it, and to see if I can get some words of advice, wisdom, or guidance. And also some opinions on it to see what you think of this genre.

Thanks.

Love distopiac stories, especially, the holy grail of literature (in my opinion) We, by Yevgeny Zamyatin. If you haven't read it, read it before you start working on this, because it should give you an idea of how to approach this. Why not treat Pokémon as extended metaphores, or charicatures, kinda like Animal Farm.

But really, I can't see combining Pokémon and distopiac fiction being feasible out side being symbolic. I suggest that, if you are really eager to write a story, just do it with out Pokémon and post in the Non-Poké section.

btw, PM for more info on We.

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
Well, the basic concept of the fic is this: The year is 2398, and all's well in Pangaea. The world is one continent, and every citizen is at peace with each other. Big Brother (obviously) watches over everyone....yada yada yada

Pokémon have been extinct for over three hundred years...or so they think....The entire world is just part of one big conspiracy....and one person finds out about it and learns through old textbooks from old schools that society was different, and finds out the truth about Pangaea....

Well, the basic concept of the fic is this: The year is 2398, and all's well in Pangaea. The world is one continent, and every citizen is at peace with each other. Big Brother (obviously) watches over everyone....yada yada yada

Pokémon have been extinct for over three hundred years...or so they think....The entire world is just part of one big conspiracy....and one person finds out about it and learns through old textbooks from old schools that society was different, and finds out the truth about Pangaea....

I hope you don't plan on useing the term Big Brother in your story. xD

Honestly, I think that you should try something more along the lines of Brave New World. Distopia for the sake of distopia; really doesn't work. You ahve to work out the system of government, and you need to explain the why's more carefully.
If this is a perfect world, why is anyone motivated to find out about a huge conspiracy, or read from old textbooks from old schools? If the government is involved in conspiracies, why do theses books still exist, and why do these schools still exist? Think it through because distopia is hard to write, escpecially when you're seriously trying to convey a theme or message, which is proboably where you should start if you are going to write this.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Oh my God, I absolutely LOVE dystopiae. Whenever I see that word, I always think of dark, forbidding cities with monorails and, for some odd reason, a giant clock.

Really, Pokemon and dystopia do not mix together. Unless you're doing a CHeSHiRe-CaT style parody, it's best to just do the latter without the former. Read V For Vendetta as well, it's how I wrote my own dystopia piece.

katiekitten

The Compromise
V for Vendetta is a Dystopia? I absolutely loved the movie. =D

Go for it! Just let your imagination run free. Your idea so far counds good, except the big brother bit that Flaming Lip pointed out. Tweak that, and it's all good...

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
Thanks, katie. And Doc, I'm not like Chesh. I do not make parodies, nor do I create comedic fics...for now. I am currently creating fics of drama and power, and sometimes completely angst-filled and dark. I have no idea why; it's probably just a reflection of my emotions right now...and I'm usually the happy type. XD

But anyway, I'll take this Big Brother thing into consideration and rename it, probably to the Eye or something. XD

CHeSHiRe-CaT

A Curious Breed
Yeah, comedy's fairly easy once you've mastered the art of irony, mimicry, and funny imagery. In fact, comedy is almost too easy. I can understand dystopia as well, because I've written serious works before, such as Exsisto and The Pokemon Detective, and they can be pretty tricky to pull off.

The key to writing a solid dystopia fic is to lure the reader through the plot with interesting little details that wind up being the most important, and imagery that can conjure up a whole array of dark and anguishing feelings that hurt you, but that also leaves room for a glint of hope or resolution. It's up to you how a story ends, be it "happily ever after" or something a bit more devious... However, it is the journey from the start to the end that determines whether the story was worth reading in the first place.