1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (discussion)

Discussion in 'RPG Café' started by Kiruria, Feb 26, 2012.

1. chihaya01

chihaya01 Thank you my prince!

And now I have to make up my mind. Aura or Life Up for Aqua? An Indigo Auranite G would be nice too, though. I guess I'll have to think about this for a while.

2. Zekshirom

Zekshirom Herp a derpy gurl

I kinda want Tekina to get a new technique by herself...she believes in using her own strength instead of using an outside source, so...

3. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Fairy type Trainer

._. Then... why is she still using a sword...?

4. Zekshirom

Because plot. (and she isn't the type to fight with her fists??? she is using her own knowledge of how to fight with a sword to use it, that's what I mean)

but meh.

5. Kiruria

Kiruria La Melancolie Noir

@Kofii: I'm not a professor. That would require a doctoral degree. And this is coming from someone who had to drop out of a PhD program because I didn't like research... Though I have a admit, if some real-life university offered a degree in psychic studies, I'd easily do research in that field. Dr. Andonuts, on the other hand, would be more than qualified as a professor.

@Everyone: Hmm, so we have some mixed opinions on the auroranite vs. new PSI technique matter... Alternatively, it can be a choice - that is, each Chosen One can have either an auroranite or a new PSI technique. Those getting the auroranite would receive it from Dr. Andonuts after the lecture; those getting the new PSI technique would get it overnight as before.

Also, I guess I'll buy into the who character theme thing... especially since it just so happens that I found appropriate themes for Gon and Amanda. Both are in the character's favourite music genre, and the former even has Gon's favourite animal and musical instrument in it! (I'm not even sure if I posted these already, as I found them like 9 months ago.) I was almost gonna put Toccata and Fugue in D Minor as Amanda's theme, but that's already the obligatory theme of a certain Dracona Minor duo.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. Zekshirom

I like choices!

I still have yet to find a song (lyriced or game music) that fits Tekina as well as possible...I WANT THE BEST FOR MY CHARACTERS

DANG IT I DIDN'T GET IT AT FIRST

nice naming Kiruria XD

and as a close out...

7. Kiruria

Sorry for the delay, everyone, but I have finally posted! The strange part was that although I was listening to gothic metal and had a candle burning next to me while typing the post, my post was almost entirely from Gon's point of view. Then again, if I wanted to really get into Amanda's character, I would've cut myself and had a glass of wine as well.

@Kofii: There's one thing I noticed about your post... it said Kyornik had some insane number of shurikens, something like 64 I believe. I'd appreciate it if you'd reduce that number at least in half, especially given how rare auroranite is and how each shuriken already acts as a shield against PK Aura - it's like carrying 64 throwable shields. I dunno if you intended them to be one-time use items or for use multiple times; if it's the latter, I recommend sticking with the original 9.

8. Kofii

Kofii Well-Known Member

ok. I chose 64 because I was going with the nintendo theme, and so if anyone wanted to have sort of device fashioned from them there would be enough for everyone. Ill post it as 9 then. And yes, they are multiple use

9. chihaya01

I wish I noticed these posts earlier! I have the cutest idea for how Aqua's rendition of PSI Aura. It'll really fit the witch theme.

10. Kofii

Kofii Well-Known Member

So, I posted again. Was battling sleep when I originally posted, so that's why it was short added the rest.

Couple of questions/suggestions about auroranite.

SO, since the ore grants abilities now, I was wondering if it works like this. In some rpgs, like golden sun, you can get an item which gives you particular abilities. Since our abilities are psi that grows, will the auroranite level up, or will there be different levels of it?
    For instance, Gon has his hands on a shiny new orange auroranite N to grant alph level pk ground. If he's able to level up the ore, would it become able to grant him access to Beta pk ground? Or, are there ores that ther naturally existing ores that you can find that have the levels infused within them. Like say Gon wants to use pk ground Beta, would he have to find a beta level orange auroranite N and have his phone case changed out?

I prefer the former, where it levels up, but if it does level up how do we do it? I was thinking of more use, but we can't overuse it or we will turn mad.

I also edited my post. Kyornik has pk aura Gamma now. I had to back check the posts and found that he had already learned the beta level here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?563936-Earthbound-The-Rainbow-Omen-(RPG-thread)/page11 and the list of upgraded abilities awere here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/archive/index.php/t-563132.html

I posted this so I could show all of these were already okayed and didn't seem like Kyornik got all this power out of nowhere

Oh yeah, also realized about G auroranite. Does it level up as well in its malevolent effects? I realized that when I posted that it completely blocks psi, that would make it overpowered. So I was thinking about simple defense against psi, akin to a shield. It blocks or reflects a certain percentage as it levels up. I'm also thinking of "Nega psi" an incantation of sorts to used to stop opponents from using psi or turn it back on them. Nega psi can be used by non psi people and if you use an object like one of the shurikens or something that stabs and is embedded into the enemy, it has the same effects as Nega psi

Auroranite G has 2 effects: Turn psi back on user or cancel out damage completely. I was thinking, an incantation like Nega Fire Beta would be used to encompass the opponent on a negative field that lasts a couple of turns more or less. If the opponent decides to use psi, one of the two effects will activate. When using the G ore as armor, it can either reflect or defend, and as I said earlier the higher the level the higher the chance of reflection. The max damage a person can take while wielding omega level G is 25% or 0. 0 from reflection or 25 from defense. All reflected damage is 100% back to the attacker, but the chance of it happening is lower in the lower level G auroranites. Also, you cannot defend or reflect psi that has a higher level than your auroranite.

phew, that was a lot. How do these sound?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  11. chihaya01

I think the Auroranite is fine the way it is. Instead of leveling it up, why not just get more of it to power it up? Also, I should have weighed my concern for this earlier, but if we get magical gems that reflect everything, wouldn't Aqua's Psi Counter become pointless later on?

12. Kofii

Kofii Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Her Counters works all the time. No matter what level of psi or even if they break, it is reliable always. Not to mention, Auroranite only reflects psi, not physical damage

I see the leveling up as just learning another psi, so when Kiruria gives us the green light on learning a new psi, you can choose to either level up the auroranite which grants you the next level in the psi hierarchy or upgrade one you already have/learn a new one completely.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  13. Kiruria

As for the issue of auroranite leveling up, I like Chihaya's idea better - that instead of the auroranite itself leveling up (I cannot think of any reasonable explanation behind the auroranite doing this), if one wants to make it more powerful, one can just simply collect more of it. It seems rather intuitive that if you have a bigger chunk of auroranite (unless much of the mass is impurities), it has a greater effect. By that definition, it wouldn't really correspond to any levels.

Yeah, I was wondering how auroranite G could work; that's a pretty good explanation.

So if Gon were to "level up" his auroranite smart phone case, he would have to find another piece of that same auroranite, and probably use it on some other object, as having two phone cases on top of one another is rather silly. I don't think I'd want to make his PK Ground any stronger than it is anyway. For the next upgrade, I think I'd rather take his Lifeup or PK Flash to the next level.

14. Zekshirom

*peeks over* anyone else still here?

15. DVB

DVB Philosopher Knight

Yeah, still a good deal. I am planning on updating,

16. Zekshirom

Ah, ok.

Also, the headache Tekina had in my last post is the last one for now- as she gets closer to going to the castle, she'll get them less and less.

(and why have i done this to her? because the more i love a character, the more i torture them! (seriously just ask my simon yorke muse and take a look at his headcanons XD))

17. Kiruria

Oh my, has it really been over a month since I last updated? I'm really really sorry, guys... this past month has just been so busy for me as I try to balance work and school. In fact, it will continue to be very busy for me until about the beginning of December, so I honestly don't know when I'll be able to post until then. I will try and get a post up in the next few days though... hopefully.

EDIT: I know it's not much, but I have posted. I'll try to get a post up this weekend too.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  18. Kofii

Kofii Well-Known Member

I too apologise. In the first semester of grad school, so been really busy. Will post today hopefully.

19. Zekshirom

It's alright, everyone. Take your time ^^

also tekina is clueless to modern stuff XD

20. chihaya01

Sorry I haven't written anything in so long! I'll start something and hopefully post it tomorrow.