• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Easier way to win Bug Catching Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an easier way to win the Bug Catching Contest?

I need two sun stones for Gloom and Sunkern but I can never win

AJ Flibble

Emohawk
Try cathcing a level 14 Scyther or Pinsir. Scyther's better as it gives more points, but both are hard to catch and are useful. But it must be level 14.

Dragon_Reborn

Catching a Scyther or a Pinser is the best way of winning the bug contest.It takes awhile to encounter one though.

B

Blue_Poliwhirl24

I thought the points was higher then that in these games ?? or am I wrong..Don't play that much any more O_O''

Serebii93

too... much...
pugman3000 said:
There is no "easy" way to win. All I can tell you to do is pray you find a Scyther or Pinsir.
Quite true, indeed. The best way to find a Pinsir or Scyther, is to play the Bug Contest at night and look in the tall grass. It works every time for me.

I hope this works
Bellosom and Sunflora are some of the few pokemon I need to complete it (along with Arcticuno(getting in Blue w/MasterBall) Omanyte/Omastar(Getting in Blue) Dragonite and Tyranitar (nearly there) and I think thats it except Celebi)

Serebii93

too... much...
Shiney_Hunter_Tauros_Rule said:
I hope this works
Bellosom and Sunflora are some of the few pokemon I need to complete it (along with Arcticuno(getting in Blue w/MasterBall) Omanyte/Omastar(Getting in Blue) Dragonite and Tyranitar (nearly there) and I think thats it except Celebi)
What's that got to do with this thread?

Shiny Heracross

Scythers actually pretty sucky. I once got third place when I caught one hat was level 15, and I've never seen one win before. Try catching a Pinsir or Butterfree. They always get 1st place even if you don't win. But it's hard because sometimes a Pinsir wins, and sometimes Butterfree. It depends on what your opponents catch.

Serebii93

too... much...
Spheal 2 said:
Scythers actually pretty sucky. I once got third place when I caught one hat was level 15, and I've never seen one win before. Try catching a Pinsir or Butterfree. They always get 1st place even if you don't win. But it's hard because sometimes a Pinsir wins, and sometimes Butterfree. It depends on what your opponents catch.
Well, everything depends on the rarity, colors, and 'Health'.
I caught my lv. 14 Scyther and she had 48 points for health. By the way, health is NOT HP. And remember, I won two nights ago with her.

pharaohguy530

The one and only.
Shiney_Hunter_Tauros_Rule said:
Is there an easier way to win the Bug Catching Contest?

I need two sun stones for Gloom and Sunkern but I can never win
There is no easier way, sadly. Its all based on luck and your "art of capture (of all pokemon)" *sings 2ba master song*. Hope for a Pinsir, Butterfree, Scyther. Make sure they are high leveled too.....And have a pokemon in the 10-20 lv. You never know....

Slim

Crazy Trainer
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, this is the Bug-Catching formula:

a 4 bit number is based off of the IVs, the other numbers are off current stats.

bit 0 = 1 if Speed IV is odd. (ie +1)
bit 1 = 1 if Special IV is odd. (ie +2)
bit 2 = 1 if Attack IV is odd. (ie +4)
bit 3 = 1 if Defense IV is odd. (ie +8)

Use this number in this formula. Other numbers use the actual stats, not the IVs

Score = (Total HP * 4) + Atk + Def + Speed + SpAtk + SpDef + above number + int(Current HP/8) + 1

So, the reason Pinsir and Scyther typically do well is because they will generally have better stats than others you can find. Remaining HP affects it just a little bit. But a lot of it is up to chance. Just keep doing the contest enough, and you will win eventually.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
This thread was last posted in 2006. That's way too long ago. Please note the thread bumping rule.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.