• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Economy in Politics <read opening post>

7 tyranitars

While several countries are suffering from the economical crisis, or for Europe the Euro-crisis you see that people solely vote for someone, or a political party for it's economical views.

Now Keep in mind that this thread is NOT about discusing political views on how to deal with the economy.

It is about, do we as humans put to much weight on the economy, a man made basicly imaginary thing, that only excists because we think it excists. And no smart-asses with that I don't mean you pay for something you get it. But more about the fact that it only works if we have trust in it.

Are we already at the point where money and materialism are the most important things in someones lifes?

That we don't mind other things aslong as we have money to spend?

That our money comes before, let's say for an example human rights?

What do you think? When we are choosing our representatives, our presidents, heck for the Americans here, your GOP candidates who will have a lovely american debatical showdown with Obama, better known as a mudfight, do we vote for them because of their economical views only or mostly? Does a good economical policy make or break a politician?

So: Do you think the economy has too much of a weight in the politics?

Missingno
For the 10-16% of people who do not have jobs, no. For those people who live in poverty or with constant money problems, no. The economy's terrible here.
Not always, but I can see that money in the hands of the people=more power to them=civil rights.
As politicians go, personally, well, I can't vote, but I consider them by their domestic policy, foreign policy, economical views, environmental policy and basic sanity. And intelligence, and to a lesser extent personal ethics. Not in any order.

7 tyranitars

The thing is, that some people don't care how much freedom they have, aslong as they keep making more money. A politican is good or bad, depending how the economy ends up. Even if you brought world peace, but the economy is still in the crapper, you basicly failed.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
That would be because we don't vote for our representative to end the world's problems we want them to solve ours! I mean solving a small thing like world peace doesn't put more food on our table and more money in our pockets so of course it doesn't matter to us!

Seriously though, Yeah we do want our lives to be more secure and that takes more personal Assets.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
hmm tough topic. let's hope I am making sense.

simple things like solving issues of floods, transportation and other stuffs are important stuffs that people want.

even if the government have money and we get paid, that doesn't solve all issues as if nobody act, nothing it done.

here don't really vote base on economical views but more on the people issues that need to be solve and more transparency in how the the government use the money because we know that those people have freaking high pay and we are mad as they don't get the job done well.

No because it defines a major part of your political beliefs/approach to wealth and its distribution.

SasoriSand

Master of Sand
The economy is bad at is so we need politicians that can spend money well. It doesn't matter if we achieved world peace if we have a horrible economy since we will still be in poverty. If we are in poverty, then we will still be struggling and the country will be ruled by others. So, in my opinion, the economy is not too much weight because it defines a large portion of our welfare.

Hox

Banned
While several countries are suffering from the economical crisis, or for Europe the Euro-crisis you see that people solely vote for someone, or a political party for it's economical views.

Now Keep in mind that this thread is NOT about discusing political views on how to deal with the economy.

It is about, do we as humans put to much weight on the economy, a man made basicly imaginary thing, that only excists because we think it excists. And no smart-asses with that I don't mean you pay for something you get it. But more about the fact that it only works if we have trust in it.

Are we already at the point where money and materialism are the most important things in someones lifes?

That we don't mind other things aslong as we have money to spend?

That our money comes before, let's say for an example human rights?

What do you think? When we are choosing our representatives, our presidents, heck for the Americans here, your GOP candidates who will have a lovely american debatical showdown with Obama, better known as a mudfight, do we vote for them because of their economical views only or mostly? Does a good economical policy make or break a politician?

The economy in any nation should always be the main focus. It's not that other things don't matter, it's just that money matters most. Anyone convinced otherwise in plain delusional. Can a mother feed her children with brand new and shiny human rights laws? (Funny thing, most countries with horrid human rights records also have terrible and underdeveloped economies) No, but money sure can. Does a great foreign policy help a man about to go into foreclosure? (Though funnily enough, everything needed to maintain a decent foreign policy, i.e. good standing military, defense experts, diplomats, etc...cost money!) No, but money sure can.

Face it. Money makes the world go round. Why do you have clothes? You/someone bought them. Why do you eat? Money bought your food. Why do you have a house? Money. Nothing in this world is for free, there are no free lunches. It should be common sense to anyone that the dominant thing that affects everyone's lives come first.

And yes. Economic policy can make or break a politician. I am socially liberal, but I do not even care if Santorum or Romney win. Why? Because all the issues I care about are out of their hands anyway. Roe Vs Wade isn't getting overturned. Gay marriage is in the hands of the supreme court. Laws against contraception don't stand a chance of making it through the senate. He can't put a conservative on the supreme court unless someone dies or retires. So even if Santorum won, even as much as I hate his social views, I would be okay with that because his economic policies are much more sound than our current president. If it comes between him and Obama, I'm voting for him.