• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Eevee and Sylveon! Encounters and Reunions!! (1194)

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Considering that Chloe has a video chat option, I think it's clear the visual intent is ensuring that neither Serena nor Ash are aware of each other presence.

And let's be real, the writer of this episode had worked on the XY series, so he knows the implications of Ash and Serena meeting up too early.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
And let's be real, the writer of this episode had worked on the XY series, so he knows the implications of Ash and Serena meeting up too early.
No wonder the episode was so good.... the quality was noticable

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
My theory is they’re slowing attempting on fading and retconning the kiss out. They kept them away for long because now they didn’t have any time to necessarily address the kiss.
I don't think they're retconning the kiss out, the kiss still happened.

The thing is, there is no satisfactory way to address the kiss that makes sense for the characters at their current stage. Ash didn't initiate the kiss, and I'm not even sure he knows the meaning of being kissed by someone. There's no reason for him to say "oh hey Serena, remember the last time you kissed me?" because that's probably not even on his mind. We know Ash's priorities and thoughts lie elsewhere (food, battles and Pokemon).

Similarly, Serena isn't going to be like "hey remember that time I kissed you haha?", because the scene would once again lead nowhere. Either Serena would be too shy to bring it up to Ash, or Ash just would just be like "kiss? huh?", since he's clueless about romance, which wouldn't lead to any progress either, just an awkward scene.

Something could be done in the future if the characters are older and Ash is more aware of romance, but not at this stage.

So yeah, it makes total sense that the kiss wasn't brought up at all.

Maybe they could have had Serena blush all embarrassingly around Ash as a reference to the time she kissed him, but I'm kinda happy they didn't, because it once again highlights that she's more mature than she used to be.

Sham

The Guardian of War

The thing is, there is no satisfactory way to address the kiss that makes sense for the characters at their current stage. Ash didn't initiate the kiss, and I'm not even sure he knows the meaning of being kissed by someone. There's no reason for him to say "oh hey Serena, remember the last time you kissed me?" because that's probably not even on his mind. We know Ash's priorities and thoughts lie elsewhere (food, battles and Pokemon).

Similarly, Serena isn't going to be like "hey remember that time I kissed you haha?", because the scene would once again lead nowhere. Either Serena would be too shy to bring it up to Ash, or Ash just would just be like "kiss? huh?", since he's clueless about romance, which wouldn't lead to any progress either, just an awkward scene.

Something could be done in the future if the characters are older and Ash is more aware of romance, but not at this stage.

So yeah, it makes total sense that the kiss wasn't brought up at all.

Maybe they could have had Serena blush all embarrassingly around Ash as a reference to the time she kissed him, but I'm kinda happy they didn't, because it once again highlights that she's more mature than she used to be.
When I mean “retcon” I mean just moving forward from it. I have a tendency of using words “loosely” but I basically meant they longer have to address it. And I’m kinda on Amour peoples side on this (shocker), they could of addressed the kiss and had they hung out even longer I would of been questioning that as well if they didn’t.

Ash might be clueless about romance but he’s not a complete full on idiot. He would know was kissing is and what it meant and that’s he smiled on the escalator.

It would be like how Naruto was just walking around the village after the Pain arc and just pretending that everything is normal while simping for Sakura like Hinata didn’t confess. He even had full blown conversations with her in the manga and anime. So it would be weird like that.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Eh. I dunno. He feels pretty clueless to me. But there's no way to tell for certain how much he knows lol.
Yeah of course and I’m not by any means an Amour shipper but if they had no intention on discussing the kiss after being around each other the entire episode then that would of been awkward and weird.

And that’s why I believe they essentially just didn’t do it now because this no longer marks her final appearance. She or he didn’t address the kiss in this episode and no longer have to anymore.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeah of course and I’m by not means an Amour shipper but if they had no intention on discussing the kiss then that would be awkward and weird.

And that’s why I believe they essentially just didn’t do it now because this no longer marks her final appearance. She or he didn’t address the kids in this episode and no longer have to anymore.
They have kids?!?!?! /s

Agree, they have to limit the interaction to just 1 minute to avoid mentioning the kiss. They don't need to do that if the kiss is retconned.

Isn't it the first time a reunion with previous companion is limited to just 1 last minute?

They even when out of their way by hiding Serena from the preview. None of the previous companions were treated this way, which means Serena is not just ordinary previous companion.

If they want to retcon it, slowly or not, they won't use such special treatment.

Omg I didnt know that.
Do u think it was intentional ?
And u think it was Ash's ribbon?
Maybe... East Asian idol culture like to look at minor details... the only way to know for sure is if they confirm it...

Shadao

How when she was sitting right next to her? And that doesn’t change the fact that Serena heard Goh. That isn’t from Chloe’s perspective. Paying attention or not Serena was right by her.
Serena was facing away from Chloe to give her privacy. Plus, Goh's voice would tell her that this is not her conversation to barge into.

When I mean “retcon” I mean just moving forward from it. I have a tendency of using words “loosely” but I basically meant they longer have to address it. And I’m kinda on Amour peoples side on this (shocker), they could of addressed the kiss and had they hung out even longer I would of been questioning that as well if they didn’t.

Ash might be clueless about romance but he’s not a complete full on idiot. He would know was kissing is and what it meant and that’s he smiled on the escalator.
I would say that Ash subconsciously knows what that kiss meant, but he cannot fully comprehend it just yet. All he knows is that Serena somehow makes him more happy than usual. Happy enough to tell Serena directly that he's partaking in the World Coronation tournament.

As Yajima once said, they didn't become a couple at the end of XYZ, but the kiss is to foreshadow that when this long running series is over and Ash finally grows up, they will become a couple. That is how it works in Phineas and Ferb when it came to romance. Perhaps if the anime team made a special episode dedicated to a time skip, we can see this come to fruition.

When I mean “retcon” I mean just moving forward from it. I have a tendency of using words “loosely” but I basically meant they longer have to address it.
... should have not use "retcon" word then...

I don't think it need to be addressed... Why do Ash/Serena have to talk about the kiss? I think people who want it to be adressed want it because they want to see some progress. But if you put yourself into Ash/Serena's position, will you talk about it?

Sham

The Guardian of War
Serena was facing away from Chloe to give her privacy. Plus, Goh's voice would tell her that this is not her conversation to barge into.

I would say that Ash subconsciously knows what that kiss meant, but he cannot fully comprehend it just yet. All he knows is that Serena somehow makes him more happy than usual. Happy enough to tell Serena directly that he's partaking in the World Coronation tournament.

As Yajima once said, they didn't become a couple at the end of XYZ, but the kiss is to foreshadow that when this long running series is over and Ash finally grows up, they will become a couple. That is how it works in Phineas and Ferb when it came to romance. Perhaps if the anime team made a special episode dedicated to a time skip, we can see this come to fruition.
Again, if you’re sitting a park bench then ignoring only works so much and even if she didn’t barge she still would of heard it.

I also don’t believe Ash is that stupid. He immediately blushed when Melody kissed him in the movie and that was on the cheek.

Yajima is no longer the head director and I really don’t care about getting in to the whole “well the anime has never contradicted itself on important things like this” because I don’t even believe that’s the case but I don’t really feel like getting in to that. If you think they’ll be a romantic couple then that’s fine.

... should have not use "retcon" word then...

I don't think it need to be addressed... Why do Ash/Serena have to talk about the kiss? I think people who want it to be adressed want it because they want to see some progress. But if you put yourself into Ash/Serena's position, will you talk about it?
Or or, I could use any word I feel like. I already explained what I meant by that and apologized to the person I was talking to about it. Also yes I would? And yeah but again that’s my opinion and I just don’t believe that A) the kiss shouldn’t of been talked about if they spent more time together and B) that episode heavily implying that it’s going anywhere but feel free to disagree

Shadao

Again, if you’re sitting a park bench then ignoring only works so much and even if she didn’t barge she still would of heard it.

I also don’t believe Ash is that stupid. He immediately blushed when Melody kissed him in the movie and that was on the cheek.

Yajima is no longer the head director and I really don’t care about getting in to the whole “well the anime has never contradicted itself on important things like this” because I don’t even believe that’s the case but I don’t really feel like getting in to that. If you think they’ll be a romantic couple then that’s fine.
Half the time I heard someone talking on the phone, I don't know who they're talking to. Even if I catch some words, I wouldn't know who actually said them. That's reality. Note that when Ash and Goh call for Chloe at the end of the episode that Serena's expression changed. Like she heard a familiar voice. Once she sees Ash passing by her, she immediately calls out to him. That's how you know she didn't hear Ash on the phone.

Ash is capable of understanding dates and marriage. It's just that he couldn't comprehend romance when it happens to him. At best, he just feels happier than usual. As I've stated before many times, no one ages in the Pokémon series. Not even Serena. So, I don't see them getting rid of the crush when the true litmus test is just beyond the anime's timeframe: The far future.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Never saw that Rika interview. Time to save that page on Wayback machine for further reference.

Or or, I could use any word I feel like. I already explained what I meant by that and apologized to the person I was talking to about it. Also yes I would? And yeah but again that’s my opinion and I just don’t believe that A) the kiss shouldn’t of been talked about if they spent more time together and B) that episode heavily implying that it’s going anywhere but feel free to disagree
Personally, if I were in their position, I won't talk about the kiss. Simply by not putting distance/avoiding/turn off the person is suffice to indicate acceptance.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Personally, if I were in their position, I won't talk about the kiss. Simply by not putting distance/avoiding/turn off the person is suffice to indicate acceptance.
This I don’t mind discussing because it’s not a “they’re gonna be together forever!!!” because I honestly don’t care and was just discussing what I got from the episode.

Do you mind explaining the last part about why you wouldn’t address the kiss?

They should address the kiss, maybe by Ash reflecting on it and slightly blushing and maybe mentioning the next time they meet and how that kiss made him realize not just her feelings for him, but his feelings for her.
And idgaf what anyone says Ash loves Serena more than a friend