• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Eevee and Sylveon! Encounters and Reunions!! (1194)

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Shudo's vision was halted by the executives, Yajima's was greenlighted by them. Why else would they give him the go to do what he did in XY and say what he said in the interview? Shudo's ideas about the entire Pokemon Revolution and Ash giving up on his dream were outright stopped, Yajima's weren't and are yet to be contradicted in any form.
In a timeline where GSC really were the last Pokémon games, this ended up happening. Just imagine.

DuskAstral

Serena didn’t notice Ash was on the phone with Chloe despite mentioning her friend(s).
How would she know that the other voice was Satoshi's? Not only was she looking the other way, but she was also a bit distant from Koharu.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
How would she know that the other voice was Satoshi's? Not only was she looking the other way, but she was also a bit distant from Koharu.
I love the whole 'she didn't recognize his voice' cope. She was clearly trying to give Koharu some privacy and not intrude on her conversation, plus the voices were coming from the phone's earpiece. Since the anime only really gives super-hearing and super-voice to characters when it's deemed convenient, I don't really know why this needs to be brought up.

Normal people don't hear intelligible voices coming from someone else's earpiece unless the other person is loud enough to blow out someone's ear. If they do, they don't automatically jump to the conclusion that a familiar voice could belong to a friend they haven't met for a long time. This is especially true when said 'normal person' is trying their best to ignore a conversation to give an individual some privacy.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Because she said at the end “Chloe something something your friends” which is plural not singular. She heard another voice. How is this distant?

Even if Serena was doing it out of respect or not prying in the conversation, there is only so much you can ignore when you’re sitting directly next to a person. Unless you have selective hearing and able to block out every single thing you’re actively not trying to pay attention to. If so, please let us know.

Ash is clearly talking louder than Goh in this phone call because he’s further away from the phone. How did she not hear him?

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War

Unless you talk with someone on a regular basis over the air, it's quite hard to instantly pinpoint whom a modulated/processed voice belongs to over the phone, much less hearing someone for the first time.
Except this wasn’t their first time speaking and because time doesn’t exist in the anime we are not gonna get into the last time they’ve actually spoken. What we do know is they’ve spent a lot of time talking during the entire XY(Z) series.

Also this is discussing your own voice and why it sounds different.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Because she said at the end “Chloe something something your friends” which is plural not singular. She heard another voice.

Even if Serena was doing it out of respect or not prying in the conversation, there is only so much you can ignore when you’re sitting directly next to a person. Unless you have selective hearing and able to block out every single thing you’re actively not trying to pay attention to. If so, please let us know.

Ash is clearly talking louder than Goh in this phone call because he’s further away from the phone. How did she not hear him?
There is a difference between hearing two voices coming from the phone and recognizing those voices.

Cool story time. My wife usually has her phone volume turned up pretty loud. I can sometimes hear her the phone conversations she has with her sisters even when the phone is pressed up against her ear. But that doesn't mean I always tell which one of her sisters she is talking to or understand the entire conversation, even when we're sitting a foot apart in the car. Especially when the people on the other end are on speaker phone or talking loudly enough to be picked up by the phone.

I also do have selective hearing and can tune things out when I want to. At least that is what my wife says...

So no, I don't find it that hard to believe that Serena didn't recognize Ash's voice on the phone. Especially since my lived experience tells me that I don't always recognize other's voices on the phone in similar situations.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
It's been a minute since the last time I was here. It was around the time Dawn first returned. Now I'm back for good ole Serena. Despite all the problems I had with her in her original run during X and Y it was good to see her again. She's matured and looks taller...is she taller? But anyway, it was cool to see her mentor, Chloe is her name? Her and her Eevee. It was cute. Sounds like she's become quite a star since she left. Maybe my dream of seeing her finally becoming the evil queen of Kalos may come true one day.

I really wanted to see her Pokemon team expanded. It didn't, still the same three. But I was shocked they let her Braixen evolve into Delphox. Shocked because females rarely get fully evolved Starters anymore, but Delphox represents Serena's maturity so I love that it's fully evolved. Sylveon seems to be her main Pokemon star now, it makes sense. But the true star of her team didn't appear until her Performance/Contest. That is the mvp Pancham!

For those of you who were not here at the time Serena was part of the legendary team called Parena/Serecham. It was established when she captured Pancham, and to see it back was nothing short of incredible. Never evolve Pancham, he's perfect as is! While I've always loved her small team I wish new additions were added to it since her last appearance, like a water type. Also doesn't look like Pokemon Contest really have battles anymore do they? This is both a positive and a negative for the genre. But overall I enjoyed seeing Serena back and blossoming into a stronger character. It made me wish her XY run was better. She got to see Ash again, but part of me wanted her to see Bonnie again too.

Hyuuga28

Can we just admit that it was so silly how the episode did everything in its power to keep Ash away from Serena.

I get that she's trying to be independent from him, but the message is lost when the universe itself makes it so.
They also have the shortest reunion by far out of Ash and any of his companions. It was only a minute long, maybe slightly less. It more or less ended as soon as it began with the boat sounding off. It was probably the best way to avoid delving into their past together too much that Yonemura came up with.

It's been a minute since the last time I was here. It was around the time Dawn first returned. Now I'm back for good ole Serena. Despite all the problems I had with her in her original run during X and Y it was good to see her again. She's matured and looks taller...is she taller? But anyway, it was cool to see her mentor, Chloe is her name? Her and her Eevee. It was cute. Sounds like she's become quite a star since she left. Maybe my dream of seeing her finally becoming the evil queen of Kalos may come true one day.

I really wanted to see her Pokemon team expanded. It didn't, still the same three. But I was shocked they let her Braixen evolve into Delphox. Shocked because females rarely get fully evolved Starters anymore, but Delphox represents Serena's maturity so I love that it's fully evolved. Sylveon seems to be her main Pokemon star now, it makes sense. But the true star of her team didn't appear until her Performance/Contest. That is the mvp Pancham!

For those of you who were not here at the time Serena was part of the legendary team called Parena/Serecham. It was established when she captured Pancham, and to see it back was nothing short of incredible. Never evolve Pancham, he's perfect as is! While I've always loved her small team I wish new additions were added to it since her last appearance, like a water type. Also doesn't look like Pokemon Contest really have battles anymore do they? This is both a positive and a negative for the genre. But overall I enjoyed seeing Serena back and blossoming into a stronger character. It made me wish her XY run was better. She got to see Ash again, but part of me wanted her to see Bonnie again too.
ANOTHER PANCHAM STAN!!!!
HE IS THE BEST ANIPOKE CHARACTER!!!! SWAGCHAM IS KING!

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
ANOTHER PANCHAM STAN!!!!
HE IS THE BEST ANIPOKE CHARACTER!!!! SWAGCHAM IS KING!
If only a single word could be used to describe the Kalos region it was "Pancham". Serena broke the Pokemon box office every time she used it, and left a billionaire thanks to the gift that was Pancham. Thankfully his power was used for good, and he remains the true hero of Pokemon. Never forget Pancham!

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
How do we know if Ash's voice even could be heard from the phone call? Given the distance he was from Goh at the moment, it's possible it didn't even made it into the Chloe's part. She might have seen Ash waving but couldn't hear what he said. We know he said something because we've been shown but that doesn't mean the sound of Ash's voice came from the other side of the phone.

Actually, I even forgot if Chloe was doing a video call or just had the phone on her ear but what I said still apply
In a timeline where GSC really were the last Pokémon games, this ended up happening. Just imagine.
In my opinion, I have doubts that would have happened.

Yeah, Shudo's got plenty of leeway with the Mewtwo movie but that's because they thought the anime wouldn't last long specially after the Porygon incident. Even during the Lugia movie, he's said he's shown willingness to hear the other staff and that the script didn't have much revisions.

Also:

Takeshi Shudo, May 19, 2010: I thought about writing a fourth movie, but I couldn’t come up with any ideas.

If I wrote it, I would have used the story that I had planned for the final anime episode. The Pokémon would stage a rebellion much like Spartacus in ancient Rome. Although at first glance Pokémon appear to be friends with humans, they would realize they’re actually being used like slaves, which would lead to an uprising. Pikachu would become the leader of the revolt and end up fighting with Ash. Team Rocket, who are in possession of lots of sinister Pokemon (including Meowth, who can translate the Pokémon language into human speech) would try to mediate the conflict, but they’d do a poor job of interpreting and only make things worse…

That’s all I came up with. However, an episode like this would break the rules of the Pokémon world and make it impossible for the series to continue. Continuing into perpetuity is the series’ objective. If it could ever be produced, I think it would literally have to be the last episode ever.
Source is the same site linked above but here's the link again anyway.

I think even in an hypothetical alternate reality where GSC never happened and Pokémon ended up a failure, I think he'd end up coming up with something else

Keep in mind, his idea for the third movie was entirely different and he had to come up with the story we end up getting. So it's possible even he could warp up the show, his conclusion could not be entirely what he wanted. He had bosses to answer to, after all.

Sham

The Guardian of War
That Koharu uses the plural does not matter. Serena is not a clairvoyant to know who Koharu's friends are.
So she heard Ash’s voice and heard it was two people? Yes it does matter no matter what you say

How do we know if Ash's voice even could be heard from the phone call? Given the distance he was from Goh at the moment, it's possible it didn't even made it into the Chloe's part. She might have seen Ash waving but couldn't hear what he said. We know he said something because we've been shown but that doesn't mean the sound of Ash's voice came from the other side of the phone.
had bosses to answer to, after all.
Because Grookey made an annoyed voice when he was talking as he was speaking too loud

You can carry out this experiment yourself if you want if you still refuse to admit it.
Again this is a solo dude doing to himself wondering why he sounds different over the phone. I’m not refusing anything, I’m pointing out facts

Last edited:

masdog

Because Grookey made an annoyed voice when he was talking as he was speaking too loud
Grookey being annoyed because Ash is too loud on one end of the phone does not mean that anyone on the other end besides Chloe could 1) hear him and 2)recognize his voice.

So she heard Ash’s voice and heard it was two people? Yes it does matter no matter what you say
She may have heard two voices. But hearing two muffled voices does not mean you will recognize them.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Grookey being annoyed because Ash is too loud on one end of the phone does not mean that anyone on the other end besides Chloe could 1) hear him and 2)recognize his voice.

She may have heard two voices. But hearing two muffled voices does not mean you will recognize them.
And I said earlier that a child’s hearing is way better than an adult. Have you not heard of somebody saying “was that…?” So let’s not pretend it’s impossible hearing another persons voice over that phone.

Considering it’s implied that Serena knew what they were saying then yes it’s weird if she’s couldn’t recognize his voice. You also have an excuse why Ash ran right over Serena despite seeing her back and was on a side of her where her face was visible?

masdog

And I said earlier that a child’s hearing is way better than an adult. Have you not heard of somebody saying “was that…?” So let’s not pretend it’s impossible hearing another persons voice over that phone.
I never said it wasn't. But I'm also saying it is likely that she didn't because, as myself and others have pointed out, its very possible to not hear what others are talking about on the phone or identify their voice if you do overhear them.

And yes, I have also done the "was that...." when asking about a phone call. However, it's rarely because I can hear the person on the other end of the phone. I usually ask based on the one side of the conversation I can hear and the topics they're talking about.

You also have an excuse why Ash ran right over Serena despite seeing her back and was on a side of her where her face was visible?
Lack of situational awareness in that moment. You've never walked by someone you knew when you were focused on something else?

Sham

The Guardian of War
I never said it wasn't. But I'm also saying it is likely that she didn't because, as myself and others have pointed out, its very possible to not hear what others are talking about on the phone or identify their voice if you do overhear them.

And yes, I have also done the "was that...." when asking about a phone call. However, it's rarely because I can hear the person on the other end of the phone. I usually ask based on the one side of the conversation I can hear and the topics they're talking about.

Lack of situational awareness in that moment. You've never walked by someone you knew when you were focused on something else?
That close? No. From far away? Yea. If you only heard the conversation then you are not talking about what I am.

DuskAstral

Even if you can hear it, it doesn't mean you can associate the voice.
And I just remembered that Koharu had the phone pressed against her ear, so all the more Serena might not have recognized Satoshi's voice (if she had heard it at all).