• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Eevee Friendly RMT

So I've decided to make a team for the Eevee Friendly Match in July and I thought I'd run it past everyone here to see if there's any way I can improve it. So here we go!

SPECIAL ATTACKER
135.png

Sonic (Jolteon) @ Wise Glasses / Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Bug
-Volt Switch

Jolteon is my main special attacker. He's modest for maximum damage output and his EV spread makes sure he hits hard while still being very fast. I chose Thunderbolt over Thunder as his STAB simply because of accuracy. I hate missing as it can swing the momentum to my opponent instantly. Shadow Ball will help with opposing Espeon and gets neutral damage on most of the other Eevolutions with a chance at a Special Defense drop. Hidden Power Bug hits Umbreon, Espeon, and Leafeon for super-effective damage and Hyper Beam is pretty much filler to be used only in dire circumstances. Jolteon can also serve as a revenge killer of sorts since he is the fastest of his siblings. Quick Attack is the only priority move any of them can learn but I doubt it will be run.

PHYSICAL ATTACKER
470.png

Knuckles (Leafeon) @ Muscle Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Leaf Blade
-Swords Dance
-X-scissor
-Giga Impact​

Since most of the Eevolutions are geared towards Special Defense this guy is going to be very important. An Adamant nature and his EV spread give him decent speed and let him hit hard. Leaf Blade is his STAB and it hits hard. Dig is for Jolteon. It will force a switch since its a two turn move but then I get some free damage on whoever is switched in. X-scissor is key. It hits Umbreon, Espeon, and other Leafeon hard. Swords Dance will make him nearly unstoppable but I'm not sure if I'll get the chance to set up so Giga Impact is the other option. The move in the last slot obviously determines the item I'll use.

SPECIAL ATTACKER / STATUS BLOCKER
196.png

Tails (Espeon) @ Choice Specs / Wise Glasses
Ability: Magic Bounce
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power Poison
- Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam
-Grass Knot / Calm Mind​

Espeon is my second special attacker as well as a status blocker thanks to its magic Bounce ability. It would be reflecting any entry hazards as no Eevee evolution can learn them but Toxic, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, etc. can be reflected back causing headaches for my opponent. Psyshock will help me against Sylveon and specially defensive Vaporeon. HP Poison is a good coverage move for Leafeon but it won’t do much to Sylveon. Shadow Ball does neutral damage to everyone except Umbeon (and Eevee but who’s going to run him) so Dazzling Gleam is another option. I’m likely to go with Shadow Ball since Dazzling Gleam will only be good against Umbreon and I’m not going to be leaving Espeon in to face him. Plus the possible drop in special defense that Shadow Ball can give would be very helpful. The last move is a toss-up. If Grass Knot mechanics haven’t changed, then it will have a base power of 60 against Vaporeon. Its usefulness depends on whether Vaporeon is running defense or special defense. It does the most damage if he’s running defense. If Vaporeon is running special defense then Psyshock is the more powerful option but both are a 2HKO at best. Choice Specs would boost my power consiterably but Calm Mind is an option though Espeon is a little frail to be using boosting moves.

BOOSTING PHYSICAL WALL
197.png

Shadow (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
-Curse
-Payback
-Wish
-Protect / Toxic​

I love Curse Umbreon and he works even better here because only Sylveon would be a real threat. The Synchronize ability helps with any T-Waves, Wil-O-Wisps (if anyone is running Flareon), or Toxics out there by sharing the status (cuz mommy told me to). Wish is for recovery and Protect is to ensure that I receive that recovery. Wish can also be given on a switch but Umbreon doesn’t have the greatest HP stat so it won’t be passing too much health. Then there’s Curse and Payback. Curse gives Umbreon an attack boost as well as a defense boost making him hit harder and harder to hit. It also lowers his speed but that’s right in his wheelhouse since Payback gets stronger if Umbreon moves last making it a 100 base power move. It is only resisted by Sylveon so once he’s taken out Umbreon can set up for a (slow) sweep.

ALL AROUND WALL / WISH GRANTER
134.png

Espio (Vaporeon) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Acid Armor​

This is a pretty basic Vaporeon set. Vaporeon can give a monster amount of health to anyone it gives a Wish to so that move is a given. Protect ensures that it can heal itself as well as lets burn damage from Scald build up. Speaking of Scald, its Vaporeon’s damage dealing / burn dealing move. If it inflicts a burn it can cripple the few physical attackers. That coupled with its HP stat and its fourth move, Acid Armor, it pretty much guarantees a switch. That or a slow wearing down. Acid Armor raises Vaporeon’s defense 2 stages so after 2 of those it can pretty much survive anything. Fairly basic but very effective.

BOOSTING SPECIAL WALL
700.png

Amy (Sylveon) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
-Wish
-Protect
-Hyper Beam / Moonblast
-Calm Mind​

And then we come to Sylveon. Sylveon has amazing special defense. Unfortunately its HP stat is unimpressive. Calm Mind helps with that giving it a special defense boost and making it hit harder. Wish and Protect let it recover any HP lost during any set up turns. Then we get to the attacking move. Moonblast is a good, powerful attack that takes advantage of any Calm Mind boosts that may have happened BUT……..Hyper Beam! Let me lay it out for you. Hyper Beam is a 150 base power move. With Sylveon’s Pixilate ability it gets boosted by 30% to 195. Pixilate also turns it into a Fairy type move meaning Sylveon gets STAB bringing the base power up to a whopping 292.5!! That is hard to beat. Add in a few Calm Minds and things just got real. I usually use Wish right before Hyper Beam so that while I’m recharging I’m also healing.

So there’s the team. Any comments will be welcome but keep in mind that this team is for the Eevee Friendly in July. Don’t tell me I need to prepare for threats like Garchomp or Talonflame since they won’t be there. Anyway, comment away!! Thanks!

Here's an importable.
Sonic (Jolteon) @ Choice Specs / Wise Glasses
Ability: Volt Absorb
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Bug
-Hyper Beam

Tails (Espeon) @ Choice Specs / Wise Glasses
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power Poison
-Dazzling Gleam / Shadow Ball
-Grass Knot / Calm Mind

Knuckles (Leafeon) @ Muscle Band
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Leaf Blade
-Swords Dance
-X-scissor
-Giga Impact

-Curse
-Payback
-Wish
-Protect / Toxic

Amy (Sylveon) @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
-Wish
-Protect
-Hyper Beam
-Calm Mind

-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Acid Armor

Last edited:

Mye

Someone has to win..
Volt switch instead of hyper beam on jolteon to deal passive damage, calm mind and hidden power bug could be useful on espeon as bug would hit leafeon umbreon and opposing espeon for sfe. Also, you may want to run a calm nature on vaporeon as there are only two pokemon that can hit you physically compared to the five who can hit you specially.

Volt switch instead of hyper beam on jolteon to deal passive damage, calm mind and hidden power bug could be useful on espeon as bug would hit leafeon umbreon and opposing espeon for sfe. Also, you may want to run a calm nature on vaporeon as there are only two pokemon that can hit you physically compared to the five who can hit you specially.

I like Volt Switch so I may put that in. I thought about hidden power bug on Espeon but I'm not going to be leaving it in against either of those guys since its defense stat is so abysmal. Poison seemed more viable since I didn't have a super-effective move against Sylveon. I'll give Calm Vaporeon and try and see how I feel about it. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

JohnBurgundy

So this will be my first completed Eevee team build. While you will not encounter any Garchomps or Talonflames, one thing you will surely encounter is a Baton Passing team. SO I put together a Baton Passing team for you. I'm sure someone out there can tweak it to make it a little better. I specialize in triple battles not so much in singles.

Sonic (Jolteon) @ Zap Plate
Ability: Volt Absorb/Quick Feet
-Thunderbolt
-Yawn
-Agility
-Baton Pass

Keep the Thunderbolt since you like the accuracy. You won’t want any choice items on this team with Baton Pass. Jolteon is the fastest Eevolution, and with the speed investment, you will out speed anything that isn’t identical or using priority. So for the first turn, use Yawn. They either are forced to switch, which gives you a free Agility, or they can stay and sleep giving you agility and Tbolts. Then you can Baton Pass your speed boosts to the next one. Luckily nothing gets a STAB super effective on this thing pretty much guaranteeing a good pass.

Tails (Espeon) @ Toxic Plate
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Def, 4 HP
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power Poison
-Baton Pass
-Calm Mind

Toxic Plate might seem weird on this one, but I figure you might as well add a little extra kick to the Poison attack, in hopes up killing Leafeons and Sylveons. I also changed your EV spred from speed investment to defense investment. The defense is pretty low and speed will aleady be at least doubled from the Baton Pass.

Knuckles (Leafeon) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 SDef, 4 HP
-Leaf Blade
-Baton Pass
-X-scissor
-Curse/Swords Dance

Again, I invested the Evs in Sdef instead of Speed. The Assault vest to help it out as it is weak to Flareon, Glaceon, bug and poison attacks. So it could use the help and probably shouldn’t come in unless switching in on a Vaporeon, to force them to switch while you get a free boost. Also…NEVER USE DIG. It gives them a free turn to switch or boost. Anyone who would take super effective damage would just switch or Protect.

-Curse
-Dark Pulse
-Baton Pass
-Confuse Ray/Toxic/Swagger/Wish

I decided to go with Dark Pulse because with the boosted speed, you are less likely to get hit first. The Satt and Att aren’t far apart, and if this gets passed a Calm Mind boost, Dark Pulse will be stronger anyways. Curse is the same. With the last slot, you can still use Wish and Baton Pass to another previous pokemon to heal. For instance going back to Leafeon and getting another Swords Dance.

Amy (Sylveon) @ Pixie Plate/ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA
-Moon Blast
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Baton Pass

Here, I switched the EVs from Sdef to Def. It helps cover the weak spot. It won’t get hit by any SE STABS and can always escape with Baton Pass and come back later on a wish. You have Moon Blast for STAB. Never Hyper Beam, because you can’t switch out on the second turn if you need to. Take the time to set up some screens and either Moon Blast or BP out to the next so they can continue to benefit from dual screens. The Light Clay lets you enjoy them for 8 turns vs 5.

-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Scald
-Acid Armor

With this one, I just switched out Wish/Protect for Sub/Pass. The reason why, is because with the Baton Passing, you can always switch back to your boosted up Umbreon to plant a Wish. Even though Vaporeon gives bigger wishes, it also gives bigger Subs. With Curses, Calm Minds, and Screens up, it will be pretty hard to break this thing. In addition Scald has a chance to halve the opponents attack stat making your Sub even more survivable. You can BP the Sub round and if it’s near breaking you can plant another Wish. It’s also an easy way to set up more Calm Minds and more Curses and more Screens to keep it alive.

A couple other items to take under consideration:
-Absorb Bulb/Luminous Moss - Since pretty much any team will have a Vaporeon, you can use this to switch in and collect a boost from its water attacks.

-Weakness Policy – Since there will be lots of switching to get SE damage from both team, why not take advantage from a +2 attack boost? This would be especially useful late game when defenses are high.

-Shell Bell - People overlook this for Leftovers. Shell Bell will recover 1/8 of damage dealt. So for your strong sweepers, this will recover much more than Leftovers, especially after stat increases.

Red Card – This item here can really change the pace of the game in this situation. Since you will be facing teams where every Pokemon is capable of learning Baton Pass, it’s likely you will run into BP teams like this one. Switch in to a Pokemon holding the Red Card and as soon as you take a hit, you completely undo all of their stat boosts.

Last edited:
I really like that team and I'll use it for planning. I will take a lot of your suggestions to heart but I'm not very good a Baton Pass teams. I am glad you brought it up though because I completely forgot about it. I can't believe that I did but I did. This Eevee Friendly is a rotation battle. I've never participated in an online rotation battle before so it might take me a battle or two to get my bearings. I like your advice about Dig, its out. I'll put Swords Dance there. And I really like your item ideas. I'm going to play around with my items and see what happens. As for Hyper Beam on Sylveon, that stays. With even one Calm Mind boost it can 2HKO specially defensive Vaporeon. Even with a turn in between the Wish can't come true fast enough. I do appreciate all of your advice and I'll definitely prepare for some Baton Pass teams though I'm not sure how Baton Pass works in a rotation battle. Thanks again!!

JohnBurgundy

Oooooh. I didn't know it was rotation battle. Similar strategy can be used. You would just have 3 out and 3 in bag. You would be able to Baton Pass to one in the bag. It's the same exact concept with having to predict more on what the opponent does and you would have only 3 pokemon to pass to vs 5. But same strategy would work except Yawn wouldn't really be effective anymore. So I would swap out Yawn for Thunder Wave on Jolteon. I'll say one thing though. I'f I'm facing you, and your Sylveon hit me with a Pixelated Hyper Beam, on your down turn I would switch in and hit you with something poison or Toxic/Thunder Wave/Swagger/ set up move. If you hit a Leafeon with that, it will Swords Dance and either kill you or the one you rotate next. Only time I would use it, is if a last resort situation occured. I know I'm gonna die on the next attack so I go all out sort of thing. But if it's Roation Battle, I think dual screening is gonna help a lot. I never got into Rotation Battles though.

Yeah me neither but it should be fun. I know that Hyper Beam is a risk but with 2 Calm Minds it OHKOs Leafeon. With the special defense boosts the only other one I have to worry about is Flareon. But I'm thinking of switching Protect with Moonblast on Sylveon and I'll just use Hyper Beam as a last resort like you said. I just can't give up that power, ya know.

JohnBurgundy

Yea, I get what ya mean, a pixelated STAB Hyper Beam does hit hard. When exactly is this tournament?

Not sure. The site just says July 2014. I've already got the team bred and I'm training and evolving them now. I'm also only one pokemon shy of my June invitational team. I may do a RMT for that too but the eevee team was what I wanted help on. I do appreciate all of your suggestions.

JohnBurgundy

Hey it's no problem, I had a boring security job where I sat at a desk for 10 hours a day(today was my last day!!) and to kill time I would just research pokemon and build teams around gimmicks for fun. I had always wanted to build a complete Baton Pass Eevolution team, so this gave me something fun to do for about an hour.

I had a job like that once. i worked the front desk at a country club. Ugh, was it boring. I used to do the same thing and research teams. That's actually when I got into competitive battling.

lokowoko

PokeBreeder
the team looks pretty good(in my opinion) though i'm not sure how baton passing would work in rotation BUT it's not impossible, if anything you should throw some people off guard as it won't be something people will expect (or i'm a total noob and baton passer teams are more common than i thought).

and one other thing i just realised: when it comes to be umbreon vs umbreon it'll be making it one heck of a stall war if they are the only ones standing, especially since most will carry wish (or moonlight) and protect (or in my case substitute)

Ib4

Xenlon Cavalier
I like the team, but have a few suggestions.
1.Signal Beam would be better on Jolteon than HP Bug however the degree of preparation it would require in training another ideal nature Eevee in an older game, tutoring the Signal Beam in B2/W2, then sending him over to stat train wouldn't necessarily be worth the slight boost in power and meager confusion chance. Of course you'd need an HA Eevee already...
2.Have you considered Life Orb on Leafeon? It'll hit harder but maybe you favor keeping his HP higher.
3.There is no reason for Espeon to have Shadow Ball. Everything but Umbreon and other Espeon are hit harder by either Psychic or Psyshock. Signal Beam would again be ideal as it covers several of your biggest threats, but would again be difficult to acquire as once again you'd need an HA Eevee from an older game. I would recommend Calm Mind over Grass Knot and thus something other than Specs as your item.
4.Vaporeon should run Leftovers to increase its bulk further.
5.Bottom 2 seem solid already

lokowoko

PokeBreeder
1.Signal Beam would be better on Jolteon than HP Bug however the degree of preparation it would require in training another ideal nature Eevee in an older game, tutoring the Signal Beam in B2/W2, then sending him over to stat train wouldn't necessarily be worth the slight boost in power and meager confusion chance. Of course you'd need an HA Eevee already...

you do know that you can't use pokemon from an earlier generation in X and Y as they only allow pokemon caught or bred in the kalos region to participate, hence why they are using Hidden power bug instead of signal beam. just thought i would throw that out there.

Tonguetyd

I had a job like that once. i worked the front desk at a country club. Ugh, was it boring. I used to do the same thing and research teams. That's actually when I got into competitive battling.

If you researched enough, you could notice that putting Hyper Beam on anything ever is a huge brainfart. Stick to MoonBlast or Hyper Voice.

Ib4

Xenlon Cavalier
you do know that you can't use pokemon from an earlier generation in X and Y as they only allow pokemon caught or bred in the kalos region to participate, hence why they are using Hidden power bug instead of signal beam. just thought i would throw that out there.

I apologize I did not see that he was preparing for the Eevee Friendly Match. I thought he was simply creating a competitive Eeveelution Team. Please disregard everything I said relating to Signal Beam Gohan
(And yes I recognize it's in the thread name but I clicked onto this from a link on my profile and didn't read the full name, just the RMT part).

Last edited: