• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

EffortfuLillie! A Determined Runaway Act! (994)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
The music choices are some of my favourite in the games but why did it feel like the beginning of the climax of the saga and not the arc?

Trial Captains are basically here because of friendship, eh, whatever.

Probably just me but I felt this episode didn't really deliver after the cliffhanger last week.

I did like Lillie trying her best even if her best isn't good enough though. Bless the girl.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
She still didn't do anything to help Gladion or Ash in the last episode like she could have used Shino Power Snow to freeze Faba or even command Shino to help out. At least her game counterpart had a reason why she couldn't do anything to save her mom because of not having any Pokemon

She was literally face-to-face with the very same creature that caused her inability to touch Pokemon in the first place.

Did you miss the part where she was clearly screaming in terror too much to be able to help?

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Honestly if you're talking about taking 'all dragons by itself', then those Dragons were basically ally Pokemon, and Ash Rowlet has got wins against ally Pokemon, and Shiron was also holding them off. So logically those ally Pokemon shouldn't be anywhere close to Silvally's strength. And Jessie's Mimikyu, Ash's Litten and Lana's Popplio have got wins against Totems so far, so how does it make sense for Silvally to have difficulties against a Totem?

And Silvally is built to be a counter to be the UB's(most probably will have to combat them in SM53), was shown pushing away Nihelego in the flashback, easily KO'd Faba's Pokemon(which were depicted to be quite strong), easily defeated Dusk Lycanroc as Type:Null. So considering it's strength, it did look like PIS(for the sake of Lillie and Shiron playing a part) for Silvally to have difficulties in the Totem battle.

As Lucario At Service said, Silvally needs the Memories to battle especially against UBs. Rowlet battled only one oppoent at the time and not a swarm of them. Team Rocket needed to isolate Totem Raticate before Mimikyu defeated it as well. Since they had to pass through a cave full of dragons before they reach the Altar, Fairy Memory was a must since all the Dragon-type attacks would have no effect to a Fairy-type Silvally making things easier as well.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
And Silvally is built to be a counter to be the UB's(most probably will have to combat them in SM53), was shown pushing away Nihelego in the flashback, easily KO'd Faba's Pokemon(which were depicted to be quite strong), easily defeated Dusk Lycanroc as Type:Null. So considering it's strength, it did look like PIS(for the sake of Lillie and Shiron playing a part) for Silvally to have difficulties in the Totem battle.

It was able to counter Nihilego in the past easily because most likely it was the first time for Nihilego to see a Pokemon as powerful as Silvally (remember, Silvally just chased away Nihilego, it didn't defeat it). But this time it was ready (i believe that the Nihilego that came in the previous episode is the same one as the one which came 4 years back).

Against Faba's Pokemon, it easily defeated them thanks to its 'Memory' gimmick.

Truth be told, we haven't really seen the extent of Dusk Lycanroc before its battle against Type:Null. So, we can't really compare it, and i would say that Dusk Lycanroc wasn't really used to battling yet (atleast in its evolved form), even-though it did train with Litten (though it felt more like Litten's training, and Dusk Lycanroc was just helping out).

On the other hand, while Silvally is created to fight the UB's, i doubt even Faba knew the true extent of there powers. And Silvally doesn't have that much battle experience either (since Gladion kept it mostly hidden, and just had it fight wild pokemons).

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
She was still to upset to see Nihilego to battle it or Faba. And freezing Faba wouldn't of done much considering he had no control over it anyway. If Pikachu and Silvally were getting their butt handed to them, what would Snowball logically be able to do?

My complaint is that didn’t do anything to help save Nebby in that situation. She should be able to have calm and heard the news that her mom get kidnapped by the ultra beast and nothing would have changed

Rajas

Gladion needed a memory disk but Ash's Rowlet would have taken down that totem by himself. Rowlet OP, sleeping to build up his sage chakra.

On another note, there is no one really evil in this series so far, just misguided. I wanna know what Burnet told him though, see if he gets punished or goes on this redemption crusade. With no actual evil though, makes me wonder if they'd really end the UB after saving Lusamine or decide to go with her toxin infused evil which again would make the true evil at the end Necrozma and we see Lunala being the next focal point later in the series while Solgaleo stays in the Ultra Space maybe?

Red Tiger 12

Wandering Trainer
Good episode.

Though I have to admit that the battle against the Totem Kommo-o could have used more screentime in my opinion. At least take up half of the episode's time. I will agree that I like that they didn't pull off another Serena on this episode. We've seen it already and we don't need to see it again happen for another Pokegirl. That strategy Lillie came up with to get back the Fairy Memory was genius and not just that, Edgelord Gladion and Beast-slayer Silvally skating through that ice fabulously! Kudos to the siblings on that one!

I was expecting Ash to suddenly appear out of nowhere to help out the two, but I wanted to be proven wrong. Welp, he did but brought along everyone else too. Gotta say that I'm not much of a fan with the pacing at now that I think about how they're doing the whole arc. I mean, I get that they want to mix both SM and USUM plots into this but it's kind of mess if I'm being honest with myself. It's not a train wreck, but just a bit of a mess. I really hope this isn't the actual, climactic arc of the SM series. That would be so underwhelming and cause SM to be viewed as a bad series as some are already calling it as.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
My complaint is that didn’t do anything to help save Nebby in that situation. She should be able to have calm and heard the news that her mom get kidnapped by the ultra beast and nothing would have changed

Why did she need too? Ash straight up bodied Faba making any sort of battle moot.

Furthermore Powder Snow would have made breaking the cage harder by encasing it in ice.

Then obviously Lillie is presented with her fear stimuli and is left helpless.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
I wanna know what Burnet told him though, see if he gets punished or goes on this redemption crusade.

From my limited understanding of the Japanese language, what i can say is that Burnet questioned Faba as to why he used her machine without permission. But on the other hand Faba kept saying that it wasn't his fault and it was all Lusamine's fault.

p96822

Evolve me please
I mean she got done something to make the change more natural than not Doing anything at all.Like if she tried her hardest then failed then I wouldn’t be complaining about this

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
From my limited understanding of the Japanese language, what i can say is that Burnet questioned Faba as to why he used her machine without permission. But on the other hand Faba kept saying that it wasn't his fault and it was all Lusamine's fault.

I'm just hoping this is simply a case of Faba using Lusamine's dream of seeing an Ultra Beast as an excuse to cover up his actions, because it will be a very underwhelming plot twist if Lusamine were the one to suddenly reveal that "oh haha, I was the one behind it all". Really hoping they don't do that.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

Oh wow, so the slasher smile did mean something after all. I thought it was weird she didn't fire Faba on the spot after he *cough cough* kindapped her daughter but... anyway I don't care how it goes, but I prefer if they stuck to the orginal games idea of making her evil from the start. It would be the perfect plot twist since people have been swearing up and down Lusamine was good this whole time.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Oh wow, so the slasher smile did mean something after all. I thought it was weird she didn't fire Faba on the spot after he *cough cough* kindapped her daughter but... anyway I don't care how it goes, but I prefer if they stuck to the orginal games idea of making her evil from the start. It would be the perfect plot twist since people have been swearing up and down Lusamine was good this whole time.

Lusamine's expression when she saw Nihilego wasn't a slasher smile like her game counterpart, but it was more of brief amazement and satisfaction, which she immediately shook off when Nihilego was threatening everyone. Besides, Lusamine suddenly being revealed as being evil from the start would be very underwhelming, and make no sense, given how hard they even tried to show her as a mother who cares for her kids. I get that maybe they might might have wanted to keep it a secret, but when you keep that up for so long with no hints, and do a total 180 and say, "look, she was always evil", the effect just feels forced and underwhelming instead of genuine shock and surprise imo.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I mean she got done something to make the change more natural than not Doing anything at all.Like if she tried her hardest then failed then I wouldn’t be complaining about this

Watching her mother getting captured by a space jellyfish from another dimension isn't failing?

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Lusamine's expression when she saw Nihilego wasn't a slasher smile like her game counterpart, but it was more of brief amazement and satisfaction, which she immediately shook off when Nihilego was threatening everyone.
Wether it was a slasher smile or not (I guess that's left to interpretation), it sure seemed she seemed like she was okay with what Faba was doing up until it threatened her and her children, which is a natrual reaction obviously. Doesn't take away from the fact according to Faba it was her fault. As other have pointed out she can still be "evil" and a good mother. The way she treats Gladion and Lillie aren't an exact reflection on her mental health or evilness. Lillie and Gladion ran away from her in the games and stole her Pokémon which caused her to be angry at them in both SM and USUM. In the anime Lillie was caretaking Snowball instead of Nebby and Gladion stole Silvally from Faba not Lusamine. She has no reason to be angry at her children or mistreat them because they never ran away from them (just live by themselves) and never stole anything from her. If you re-play the games Lillie comments her mother started getting meaner once Gladion left.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Wether it was a slasher smile or not (I guess that's left to interpretation), it sure seemed she seemed like she was okay with what Faba was doing up until it threatened her and her children, which is a natrual reaction obviously. Doesn't take away from the fact according to Faba it was her fault.

I've said this before, but I'm pretty sure now that in the anime, Lusamine still has a dream to meet Ultra Beasts (not obsessed to the point of her game version), but its more of a once in a lifetime wish rather than being her full focus, to the point of neglecting and hating her kids like the games. So I think in the anime, it's simply Faba doing all this stuff just to draw out Nihilego and make Lusamine happy.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I've said this before, but I'm pretty sure now that in the anime, Lusamine still has a dream to meet Ultra Beasts (not obsessed to the point of her game version), but its more of a once in a lifetime wish rather than being her full focus, to the point of neglecting and hating her kids like the games. So I think in the anime, it's simply Faba doing all this stuff just to draw out Nihilego and make Lusamine happy.

Do we now why she wants to meet an Ultra Beast? I mean besides Gladion apperantly saying she's wanted to see one from a young age? Despite the anime not directly saying Mohn's name we still see a wedding picture, they purposely blinded with light to not show who's she married to. I don't think obession with Nihilego caused her to hate her kids but instead she couldn't take them "rejecting her love" and leaving so she simply disowned them, the toxins made it worse but her obession wasn't the direct cause.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Why are there comments with people complaining that Vulpix doesn't know any other ICE move? When it has hardly even battled to even learn one or atleast train.

People would call bs over it learning a new move out of know where. Let it battle and get more experience before you give it something powerful like Blizzard or Ice beam. Heck Ash's Snorunt didn't learn ice beam till it evolved.

I really enjoyed this episode. We got some nice focus on Lillie and Gladion, their sibling relationship, Lillie getting more confident and even battling more and assisting Gladion.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Anyway, to today's episode. Faba seems genuinely shocked and remorseful regarding what happened to Lusamine. I'm guessing his aim really was to make Lusamine happy by having an Ultra Beast appear, but didn't foresee what it was capable of doing.

The Z-Powered Lillie moment felt kind of meh to me personally. There wasn't really any reason or powerful meaning for that change. It just felt like Lillie casually dressing up and changing her attire to go somewhere. Anyway, the siblings are off on Silvally.

Well another stupid Sophocles theory. Anyway, I liked seeing Hala again, and as I thought, he's the one that states that Solgaleo is needed for an Ultra Wormhole.

I liked seeing Snowy being sort of relevant again after ages, but can it please learn a new move instead of Powder Snow spamming? I'd say the animation for it can easily pass off as being Blizzard. So after some ice skating skills, Gladion successfully inserts the fairy memory disc, and Silvally OHKO's Kommo-o.

Overall, an above average episode. It did feel a little slow at times, and I personally was underwhelmed by Z-Powered Lillie. Also, the classmates feel completely out of place and irrelevant to all this, and simply feel like they're there because they are part of the cast. I give the episode 6.5/10.