• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

EffortfuLillie! A Determined Runaway Act! (994)

DatsRight

The main character of the manga/anime Cardcaptor Sakura. Sakura has a lot of various costumes in that series. I didn't realize that had become one of the things for which the series is most well known, though.

That and the adorkable crush between the main male and female character. :p

Nebbygetinthebag

A good episode,I like the adventure of Lillie and Gladion and Silvally was awesome in this episode however the battle of Totem Hakomo-o was really short and Snowy should have learn more move but other than that this episode was great,I give it a 8/10.

SONW

As I expected, the discussions here on this episode are basically:

-game comparisons

-comments of Lillie's "change" with Serena's. (It's amazing how they always manage to put Serena in the middle of the discussions, and how are always people with a profile picture with something related to XY).

Ultra Beast Lover

As I expected, the discussions here on this episode are basically:

-game comparisons

-comments of Lillie's "change" with Serena's. (It's amazing how they always manage to put Serena in the middle of the discussions, and how are always people with a profile picture with something related to XY).

Well game comparrisons make sense because it's important to note how the two are different although yeah that shouldn't be taking up so much of the conversation. As for Serena and the XY pictures, well a lot of people love that season but yeah again we shouldn't be comparing Serena and Lillie as much. In my opinion they've both had amazing development and they're both great in their own way.

J. D. Guy

As for the pacing, I think it's interesting that there are people complaining about filler stuff like the sleepovers and yet there are also complaints of the pacing and story going too fast.

You don't know how happy I am to see someone point this out. It's been a giant fissure-ing contradiction with this thread, and the Anime Forum in general, know its habits.

Nothing but hypocrisy, and it's really bad when you realize that the same handful complaining about "rushing" are the same at large who are the first to criticize and bemoan anything they deem to see fit as "filler". Because that's what they would have been padding Akala and the like with: what most here refer to -- on sheer ritualistic habit by this point for some, I'm sure -- as "filler".

XYZ tended to pussyfoot around things, which was its choice and is done and in the past. Now that Sun and Moon is being more concise and "to the point", while still being no less meaningful and heartfelt in its portrayals of the stories it's telling (if not potentially mores so, depending on who you ask), it should be allowed the freedom to do thusly.

My only guess that those handful are "Stockholmed", as much as they may wish to think otherwise. They're used to things being drawn out and, perspectively, dragged out that said handful don't know what to do with themselves at what is, in reality, an example of a more balanced and evenly paced sets of stories and events.

On another topic, I wish to concur with those who admit, or self-admit, that the battle with the Totem Pokemon wasn't the point of this episode, as opposed to the context of the battle as well as the events at large in the episode being what's meant to be its main idea.

Good episode from what I could tell. I'm just glad everyone's here, sure we knew they were going to be here but after not getting involved with Lillie's abduction I've been worrying that they wouldn't do anything.

Same. They've been really amping up Ash and Lillie's interactions, as well as Lille's and Gladion's, which is much appreciated, but it feels like it's come at the exchange of Lillie and everyone else's. I'm especially missing the Lille and Mallow dynamic, which hasn't been seen much since Gladion stepped into the picture in earnest and Ash began "competing" with him for the spot of "Lille's big brother".

But even beyond that, I'd have been most displeased if they missed out on this defining journey of, as it seems, entering Ultra Space. This is the first time the Alola Gang have been so detached from the episodic goings-on, contrary to the show up to this point being generally good about giving everyone something to do in a given episode and also staying abreast of current events, even during most focus episodes (though it was never 100% about it, even as far back as Ash's first Trial and Kahuna battle).

For me, I just want to see their various reactions to what's happening, and for them to actually see what's happening first hand.

Well game comparrisons make sense because it's important to note how the two are different although yeah that shouldn't be taking up so much of the conversation. As for Serena and the XY pictures, well a lot of people love that season but yeah again we shouldn't be comparing Serena and Lillie as much. In my opinion they've both had amazing development and they're both great in their own way.

Well, I mean, it's not really that important to do so.

And it comes with a dangerous and nasty downside. That is, the anime isn't being watched and appreciated by its own context and merits, but always compared and "check-listed" against the games; what's more, this is often done as a means to find fault with the anime in some form or fashion, or otherwise start or perpetuate arguments.

Not that I feel doing so is wrong in and of itself, but it isn't strictly "important" as you put it, and the act of doing so and doing so habitually comes with a price tag.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Same. They've been really amping up Ash and Lillie's interactions, as well as Lille's and Gladion's, which is much appreciated, but it feels like it's come at the exchange of Lillie and everyone else's. I'm especially missing the Lille and Mallow dynamic, which hasn't been seen much since Gladion stepped into the picture in earnest and Ash began "competing" with him for the spot of "Lille's big brother".

I guess it's a case of being overshadowed. Mallow is supportive emotionally but is mostly helpless physically, meanwhile Gladion is the aloof but strong and protective big brother, while Ash is the altruistic badass of the group, they're the ones who usually know what to do in a bad situation or are the ones who end up rescuing Lillie from mortal peril, thus at face value it's easier for them to take the role of Lillie's 'sempai' and who she aspires to be like. Even emotionally Ash contends with Mallow due to his adventurous, approachably dorky but insightful personality, something that could definitely appeal to an introverted little girl like Lillie who wants desperately to break out of her shell (after all he has a similar inspirational touch as XY Ash, just with a warmer more fallible side).

It's not like the anime couldn't do something with this ultimately, especially since SM has more slice of life focus than before and could likely properly emphasise non-actionized support and companionship, but right now it feels like they don't know what to do with Mallow.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Yay Z powered form Lillie makes her first appearance here. Lillie's sassiness in this episode was entertaining and funny as well. It was great seeing her and Gladion team up to battle and for Lillie to convince Gladion to let her friends help them out on rescuing Lusamine.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Wow, the title card music was different!

Also, has this show forgotten Ice is super-effective on Dragon since Fairy became a thing? It was mentioned all the time in Gen V, and is now not mentioned at all, in an episode where it definitely should have been mentioned.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Wow, the title card music was different!
Hooray, they kept one piece of the original soundtrack... Honestly, that "Music: Shinji Miyazaki" credit in the opening almost seems like mockery at this point. I skimmed through the episode, and if I'm not mistaken, the title card was literally the only thing they kept. It seems like they're dead-set on just cutting out everything that isn't a track they've used before, hence why the XY trainer battle music from two episodes ago was kept, but the arrangement of "Welcome Back" from the game's ending was omitted from the same episode, and this episode neither kept the Totem battle music, Gladio's theme or Battle at the Summit at the end. And I'm sure that the arrangement of the main credits theme and "Solgaleo/Lunala Appears" will be cut from the next one too.

...You know at this point I wish they'd just make up their minds. I mean, I will never approve of them changing the music (unless a situation arose where they were forced to for whatever reason), but what's with them constantly throwing out 99% of the score and still just keeping one single track? Like, who exactly are they making happy by doing it this way? Anyone who likes the original music will just be annoyed at every other track that isn't kept, and anyone who doesn't like Miyazaki's music would presumably rather see that last one track omitted as well. At least if they cut everything I wouldn't have to be disappointed every time a track I liked isn't kept because I'd know in advance that there was a 0% chance of it happening.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Faba's definitely thinking "Oh, I'm so fired..."

It's nice to see someone other than Ash having an adventure. And there's the cliche of ancient civilizations building deathtraps. It all led to a great Totem battle that ultimately turned out to be a no-brainer. But to be fair, Totem Kommo-o easily falls to a Fairy-type even in the games. It was a nice adventure Lillie and Gladion had to themselves, so no complaints about that of Ash and friends' being mostly offscreen. It wasn't their turn, plain and simple.

Though I must say that Lillie's got a pretty weak reason to change her outfit this time. It's really nothing more than rescue gear.

I'll admit to being happy the Ultra Beast advent theme got off lightly compared to other game music that got Miyazaki'd. Still, gotta add it to the list. On the bright side, the music when Lillie changed her hairstyle was very nice. And each of the tracks playing over the Poni trials were nice and mysterious. And that "Under the Alolan Moon" instrumental that closed out the episode is even better than the song version, as unlike the song version which is R&B (a genre I'm not too fond of), the instrumental sounds tribal. This is the best-scored Ultra Adventures episode yet.

And along with that, this is the best UA episode yet overall. And so DisneyXD's UA premiere marathon ends.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'll admit to being happy the Ultra Beast advent theme got off lightly compared to other game music that got Miyazaki'd. Still, gotta add it to the list.
Which part of the episode was this?

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Hooray, they kept one piece of the original soundtrack... Honestly, that "Music: Shinji Miyazaki" credit in the opening almost seems like mockery at this point. I skimmed through the episode, and if I'm not mistaken, the title card was literally the only thing they kept. It seems like they're dead-set on just cutting out everything that isn't a track they've used before, hence why the XY trainer battle music from two episodes ago was kept, but the arrangement of "Welcome Back" from the game's ending was omitted from the same episode, and this episode neither kept the Totem battle music, Gladio's theme or Battle at the Summit at the end. And I'm sure that the arrangement of the main credits theme and "Solgaleo/Lunala Appears" will be cut from the next one too.

...You know at this point I wish they'd just make up their minds. I mean, I will never approve of them changing the music (unless a situation arose where they were forced to for whatever reason), but what's with them constantly throwing out 99% of the score and still just keeping one single track? Like, who exactly are they making happy by doing it this way? Anyone who likes the original music will just be annoyed at every other track that isn't kept, and anyone who doesn't like Miyazaki's music would presumably rather see that last one track omitted as well. At least if they cut everything I wouldn't have to be disappointed every time a track I liked isn't kept because I'd know in advance that there was a 0% chance of it happening.
Thanks. This is exactly how I feel.

I think they should remove Miyazaki's name from the opening credits because it's disrespectful to his work, like it or not. Just put something like "Title card theme: Shinji Miyazaki" in the ending credits and we'll be set. Or just remove the title card theme. It doesn't affect the episode at all. Goldfarb can easily make a Batman-ish jingle that actually fits with his work in the actual episodes.

I just wished they recorded the anime in 5.1 to fix that mess but it's impossible they'd do that.

Btw, Gladio's theme replacement in the episode makes the whole scene look like a joke. It was hilariously bad when I saw it the first time.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I think they should remove Miyazaki's name from the opening credits because it's disrespectful to his work, like it or not. Just put something like "Title card theme: Shinji Miyazaki" in the ending credits and we'll be set.

To add to this, TPCi's obligation to translate Japanese credits shouldn't make them forget their own involvement. The dub could stand to credit some of their most important figures in the opening (James Carter Cathcart for writing, Lisa Ortiz for voice direction, Ed Goldfarb for music, and Kenji Okubo as Executive Producer (or something as important considering he's TPCi's CEO)) instead of just clumping all of them into the end credits.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Lillie's outfit change isn't anywhere near as meaningful as the games. Even more so when you know it ain't permanent lmao, I wish they kept her like that permanently. It makes her look like she belongs with the others and doesn't stand out like those fancy clothes.

Kukui tagging along for no reason.... oh how I hate that guy. Can we just get another female Professor already, if it's another cliche 'hot guy' come gen 8 I'm going to lose it

Doesn't feel right at all that Poni got into the anime before Ula'Ula, would have been nice for Ula'Ula to at least get one episode before Poni did....

And it certainly took them long enough to bring Hala back. Meanwhile we see that damn fruit lady every other episode! -___-

I sure hope Jangmo-o and Hakommo-o get proper appearances later, it's obvious that Totem Hakomo-o will return so Ash can battle him for Dragonium. He didn't see it for one, and no Dragon crystal was dropped/stolen... which he'll need to earn one crystal to fight Hapu and it certainly ain't going to be Fairy. Meanwhile another Hakomo-o, most likely Ryuki's will show off it's signature z-move.
I love the Jangmo-o line and hope it doesn't get treated the way Wimpod and many other Alola Pokemon that aren't on the cast are treated, where you appear once and you're done. I want to see Jangmo-o and Hakommo-o outside of mindless battling! And I'm not sure they'll be the "helper Pokemon" when it comes to Ash fighting Kommo-o, I have the feeling it may be Scizor who comes to its aid.

Still hoping Bulu and Fini can actually do stuff like Koko and Lele did when we eventually get to those islands for real. It just doesn't feel right at all for two Tapu to make their debut here.... it'd be different if it was only one we hadn't seen before, Fini while Bulu had made a proper appearance beforehand.

3.5/10

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It still got quite a part to play in the battle, so I don't get it why are you so disappointed.
It should have been able to use its super-effective move directly on the Pokémon. It's like the anime has forgotten Ice is super-effective on Dragon after Fairy started to exist, which is ridiculous considering that Ice being super-effective on Dragon was such a major plot point in Gen V.
Still, she could at least learned Ice Beam... Powder Snow is getting tiring at this point

Her name is Snowy not Icy like the Winx Club witch

=

I respectfully disagree.

Well, first of all, I think @Pokegirl Fan~ said that a bit tongue-in-cheek and not seriously, perhaps even just to see the reactions/for the sake of triggering XY fans. Even if she said it seriously, I just find it funny, and overall, I just appreciate that while she loves SM way more than XY, and I am the opposite of her in that, that she is still polite in her praising of SM over XY. It's certainly soo much better than Janovy used to do lmao

Really bad.

Why change her hair but not her clothes? If she changed her clothes but not her hair until that moment, why?

because she can't very well change her clothes in public the way she can her hair, can she? This is a children's show :p

Rockruff managed to beat Olivia's ace, and it's a resonable assumption that Kahuna's ace>Totems. Dusk Lycanroc is it's evolved form, and Silvally KO'd it with Crush Claw as Type:Null. So difficult to believe how it makes sense, unless Totem Kommo-o is leagues stronger than the other 3 Totems, which probably doesn't make sense.

I'm more inclined to believe that Silvally was nerfed so that Lillie and Snowy could have a significant role in the battle. So Silvally had the neccesity to use the Fairy type memory, and since it got knocked away from Gladion's hand, Snowy got to help a lot in Gladion retreiving the Fairy type memory.

First of all, the transitive property doesn't work in Pokémon battles, which is actually kind of the whole point of Pokémon battles. Second of all, reread that episode thread. Rowlet did most of the work despite Rockruff being the final Pokémon. I even made a post collating several other posts from the thread agreeing Rowlet was the star. Getting a bit off topic here, but after the obsession with counting who's starring etc etc etc in each of the last 2-3 generations, I'm surprised there haven't been these arguments this generation about who's starring and who's stealing each other's starring opportunities. I feel like that was such a big thing here the last few gens.

it's only brought up once in regards to Clefairy, really, and being the source of Lillie's anger towards her mother. I guess I just feel they don't really do a good job of showing why Lillie should be mad at her mother outside of not getting to spend time with her. But that's my personal impression.

Think about how Ash would react if Delia turned Pikachu into a Raichu. Get it now?

Lusamine still tries to keep in touch (although clumsily) by making Hobbs film Lillie at home

I'm pretty sure that's something she just started doing, based on Lillie's reaction to it.

The main character of the manga/anime Cardcaptor Sakura. Sakura has a lot of various costumes in that series. I didn't realize that had become one of the things for which the series is most well known, though.

I don't think it is, I think it's just another typical @AuraChannelerChris "joke"

A good episode,I like the adventure of Lillie and Gladion and Silvally was awesome in this episode however the battle of Totem Hakomo-o was really short and Snowy should have learn more move but other than that this episode was great,I give it a 8/10.

It was Totem Kommo-o.

To add to this, TPCi's obligation to translate Japanese credits shouldn't make them forget their own involvement. The dub could stand to credit some of their most important figures in the opening (James Carter Cathcart for writing, Lisa Ortiz for voice direction, Ed Goldfarb for music, and Kenji Okubo as Executive Producer (or something as important considering he's TPCi's CEO)) instead of just clumping all of them into the end credits.

Actually, more than any of that, I'd prefer the Seasons 1-10 method of not even having opening credits covering up the screen during the theme song. I appreciated the theme songs more back then, they were more enjoyable to watch without all these words everywhere.

Epicocity

Think about how Ash would react if Delia turned Pikachu into a Raichu. Get it now?

Not exactly a 1:1 scenario. I don't think Ash has a problem with Pikachu evolving, so long as it's what Pikachu wants to do. Pikachu's the one that doesn't want to evolve in this case, but I'm assuming Clefairy had no issues with it. In this case it just came down to mother and daughter having differing ideas over what to do with what looked like a family Pokemon, but it's impossible to know since they never tell us anything about Clefairy outside of this whole "Lillie doesn't like that it was evolved and had nebulous memories with it".

I get what they tried to do with it, but I don't think it landed entirely.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'm pretty sure that's som ething she just started doing, based on Lillie's reaction to it.

That's besides my point though. The point was that Lusamine made efforts to reconnect with Lillie and become more involved in her life again. She also tried to connect with Lillie when Lillie and the rest of the kids came to the Aether Foundation for a tour. Lusamine outright states that she wanted to use the opportunity to bond more when they're in her office, Lillie just didn't accept it because Lusamine kept on being distracted by her work. The scene with Hobbs filming Lillie at home is there for a reason, it's character building for both Lillie and Lusamine. It's not a gag scene, it doesn't directly progress the plot forward either, but it does establish again the strained relationship between Lillie and her mother. It does showcase that Lusamine does try to find a place in Lillie's life again, that Lusamine does somewhat understand that she missed too much of Lillie growing up and wants to change that, and it does showcase Lillie's viewpoint that Lusamine shouldn't try to do that bonding in between work and other stuff that distracts from that bonding, she finds that place in Lusamine's priority list insulting. It's a quite complex relationship but I think they're doing quite a good job at showing it and it also feels realistic.

Vipsoccermaster

Good adventure episode for Lillie and Gladion. Lillie definitely wouldn't have gone through it alone without her brother. That's what siblings are for. You need each other to move on. Good tactics that Lillie used to help Gladion retrieve the Fairy Memory for Silvally and take down Totem Kommo-o. Brother and Sister are both determined to save their own mother.

Oh, and it was nice to see Hala and Hariyama again.