• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Eight Ain't Enough! (388)

AmeldaS

Soul Trainer
Did Adan say anything to Ash about the Hoenn League? When? Where?

Thanks

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Edward Elric said:
Being confused is about close to being drunk (quiet, best I could come up with). Both don't have full usage of their bodies and have a hard time seeing straight. Reflexes are rather low, leaving them open. Knock a drunk man over, see if he gets up fast. XP

Yeah, but as I said earlier, a drunk man and a confused Pokemon could at least move around a bit though without getting up, like squirming on the ground or something. Did Juptle squirm on the ground? No, it just stopped moving and was declared fainted.

And Gravy, you pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.
-defeating final and almost all the time strongest opponent=main spotlight=glory hog. Pikachu may be the main mascot, but no denying he's gotten really stale by now, even with Iron Tail, so it's easy to prefer Satoshi's other, more newer Pokemon over him. The fact that we see him use an electric attack against Rocket Dan nearly every episode doesn't help either. Besides, Pikachu already got its share of glory from the 1st, 3rd, and 7th gym battles, and that's excluding the previous regions. I like Pikachu, but for these reasons, I would really have preferred his role was reduced in this final battle.
-Juptle's without a doubt a very strong Pokemon, likely the strongest on his team at the moment. I don't care if Adan strategized, it's just extremely degrading to see the guy go out without even making a halfway decent effort.

Obviously, I'm a Juptle-fan with a bias towards him, I'd willingly admit that. But I at least have enough sense to accept his losses in the past when they occured (shiny Oosubame and Chirutalis), because those losses seemed very sensible. This one, though, it's just very unforgiveable.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Yeah, Corphish finally won against a Pokemon. Maybe the days of stupid, comedy only Corphish are over. (Of course this doesn't mean he can't still be funny.)

Alfonso

Derpgull
Edward Elric said:
*sigh*

For those forgetting the effect of Sweet Kiss, it causes confusion within the Pokémon. Juputoru was too confused to even know what it was attacking. It went on using Pound on a pillar, SLAMMING its head repeatedly into it. Rabukasu then fired off a shot that DID hit hard and knocked out Juputoru. Its confusion had a role in this because it couldn't really do much about it. Let's use a good example. Being confused is about close to being drunk (quiet, best I could come up with). Both don't have full usage of their bodies and have a hard time seeing straight. Reflexes are rather low, leaving them open. Knock a drunk man over, see if he gets up fast. XP

Juputoru was confused and could not move around much. There's no way it would've been able to withstand an attack that was a direct hit. Not to mention, the impact of hitting the floor on one's back and bouncing a few inches once or twice.

I STILL do not understand how being in TWO battles makes Pikachu a glory hog. Only being in two out of five battles is nothing. Hell, would you guys rather he had used Kootasu instead? With Juputoru knocked out, Pikachu was the only good choice to use. Did you guys already forget that Heigani and Oosubame did their best as well? Or are we just gonna ignore that and focus hatred towards Pikachu? Pikachu did not "save the day" otherwise it'd have beaten ALL of Adan's Pokémon.

So a Rabukasu knocked out Juputoru, big deal. Adan strategically beat it and it was simply too fast. Get over yourselves. --;

You'll notice that not one person apart from yourself mentioned that Grovyle used Pound, and slamming his own head into a pillar, thus causing himself damage. Golden Darkness did not mention that detail. (Of course, the same information could have be glemed from the episode pictures, but I personally do not look at them. Others, may and should have made a point of it in this thread though, since many people, including myself, are running around annoyed over Grovyle's loss.)

As for Pikachu... I agree. Being in two battles does not make any Pokemon a glory hog. However, count up all the battles Pikachu has been in throughout his entire time in the anime... he's in every episode, lots of battles and even has had a few episodes centered around him. He gets most/all of the limelight, so when it comes to things like this, the scriptwriters should give his other Pokemon some glory, since Pikachu has already had his fair share over the years.

Golden Darkness

Spikeshell Trainer
Last edited:

Alfonso

Derpgull
Golden Darkness said:
Alfonso said:
You'll notice that not one person apart from yourself mentioned that Grovyle used Pound, and slamming his own head into a pillar, thus causing himself damage. Golden Darkness did not mention that detail. QUOTE]

http://www.serebiiforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?p=1126421#post1126421

Well, you didn't mention it in your first post, and I mostly just skip over most the posts in a thread like this, mainly because most of them are usually not of relevance. But I'll apologise for the mistake. (However, I wasn't the only one who hadn't noticed your added note... seeing as hardly anybody but Edward mentioned it afterwards.)

Edit: *seen GD's Edit* Dude, chill. I was just saying that you didn't mention it. -_- No need to get upset. :p

T

Togemon

Long Live Water Pokemon!

So Grovyle lost to Luvdisk. I thought it was an interesting twist. Just because Ash has well trained Pokemon, doesn't make him the only one. oO;; Adan is a GYM LEADER, he is not a pushover, his Pokemon are really strong, and if size mattered, then Pikachu would loose almost every one of it's matches. Adan had a better Stratigy, so get over 'King' Grovyle's loss to the water gun. It can happen, it did happen, and it will stay like that. However, unlike some of you, I thought this was a great Gym battle, and I think it will turn into my favorite when I watch it dubbed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
AmeldaS said:
Did Adan say anything to Ash about the Hoenn League? When? Where?

Thanks
Three months from now (in-show time, of course, may or may not be reflected in real-world time), in Saiyuu City (Ever Grande).

JazzJazz

Murgatroyd said:
Three months from now (in-show time, of course, may or may not be reflected in real-world time), in Saiyuu City (Ever Grande).

Did ash offer any comment at all about what his plans are for between now and then?

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I find this episode to be really...unnerving. It seemed like an awesome battle from the preview, but I'm sad after viewing the pictures. Grovyle being defeated by a Water Gun is what gets me most. No offense to those defending this case, but at least have the courtesy to knock it out after a fair few attacks, not a Sweet Kiss and a Water Gun-_-

I'm also annoyed, because Pikachu was the final battler(I did not say battle hog, though!). I sit back an yawn when Pikachu enters a battle, merely because we all know it's gonna be "Pikachu, Thunder!" or "Pikachu, Iron Tail!"

If Pikachu had lost at the last moment, I would have been happy. But a Thunder from underwater does NOT impress me. I recall a post I made previously:

I think, Pikachu should be used less. When Pikachu is called into battle, it's taking the space of a lesser used Pokemon, such as Corphish or Torkoal. For example, I was just re-watching the Flannery episode yesterday. Pikachu could have been substituted for Taillow, who was awfully underused. In short, don't get rid of the mouse, just tone it down a bit. Kay?

Now, this doesn't apply exactly for this situation, but really, Pikachu does need to be toned down.

Cheers!
~Bulby ;001;

V Faction

www.faction.com
My only comment, as pitiful as it is, is on the Swellow portion, and it's a positive one. That was a fun battle to witness. Whiscash has this dopey, but frightfully determined, look to its face. And then you've got Swellow, who can be dopey but ultimately never wipes that serious tone from his brow. Whiscash in the water and is HUGE. Swellow's up in the air, darting around. I found all of it to be a pleasing battle of the opposites.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Was Juputoru slamming its head against the pillar the first time the anime has actually shown a confused pokemon "hurting itself in its confusion?"

The only victory I really disagree with is Ohsubame's victory against Namazun (it took a freakin' Hyper Beam from point blank and acted as if nothing happened to it). And while I question Pikachu's ability to just sort of flip Milokaross over, its victory wasn't as unbelievable as some of the others.

Finally, I liked how Namazun used its whiskers to grab onto that pole and attacked.

JazzJazz said:
Did ash offer any comment at all about what his plans are for between now and then?

Not that I know of, but Adan did tell Haruka that there's a Contest Hall in Kinagi Town. Masato looks it up on his PokeNavi and tells the gang that it's close by, so Haruka decides that that will be their next destination.

I

Indigo

I agree on the following:

--Pikachu is becoming a predictable nuisance and needs to be toned down until the writers can think of something new and exciting to do with him.

--Grovyle's loss to Luvdisc is inexcusable. You can lecture me on the conditions, the physics, and all that other stuff all you want, but with a Pokémon that has a reputation for being hardcore and extremely hard to take down like Grovyle does, it won't work. The Grovyle I know would've overcome that to at least put up a good fight. If Grovyle had to lose, at least let him lose like the honorable badass we all know and love.

That's all I have to say on the matter. I won't bring up Torkoal, because everyone already knows how I feel about that.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
For those of you complaining about Pikachu being the one to finish this, I have a simple question: What other pokemon does Ash have that could take out that Milotic in a single attack? Because that's essentially what it takes to KO a Recovering Milotic.

Bulba the Great! said:
But a Thunder from underwater does NOT impress me.
How about dodging an Iron Tail, running up its opponent's body, dodging a Hydro Pump, throwing its opponent into the water, and then frying it with Thunder?

JazzJazz said:
Intensive training.

Chris

Old Coot
Indigo said:
--Grovyle's loss to Luvdisc is inexcusable. You can lecture me on the conditions, the physics, and all that other stuff all you want, but with a Pokémon that has a reputation for being hardcore and extremely hard to take down like Grovyle does, it won't work. The Grovyle I know would've overcome that to at least put up a good fight. If Grovyle had to lose, at least let him lose like the honorable badass we all know and love.
Funny how no one complains about Genji's Pokémon kicking the living crap out of Juputoru and making it look really bad yet when it comes to a Gym Leader's Pokémon, everyone throws a fit.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Murgatroyd said:
For those of you complaining about Pikachu being the one to finish this, I have a simple question: What other pokemon does Ash have that could take out that Milotic in a single attack? Because that's essentially what it takes to KO a Recovering Milotic.

How about dodging an Iron Tail, running up its opponent's body, dodging a Hydro Pump, throwing its opponent into the water, and then frying it with Thunder?

Intensive training.

I don't think it's the fact that Ash used Pikachu to finish the battle is what people are annoyed at. Using Torkoal would have been a stupid and costly mistake. It's the fact that once again, the scriptwriters wrote the battle to end up leaving Pikachu in the driving seat, cruising over the finishing line, getting covered in cheap champangue and touching up the attractive Japanese... Race Queen, is what I believe they are called. They could have easily have had Grovyle be the one to finish, or Swellow. Or whoever. Instead, they thought what a great idea it would be to once again hand the battle to Pikachu.

And Edward, nobody is complaining about Drake's Pokemon because Drake is an Elite Four member and so has incredibly strong Pokemon. o.o; His skills are far greater than Adan's, otherwise he wouldn't be, like I said, an Elite Four member. Pikachu was strong, and still lost to Prima's Cloyster.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
The reason no one threw a fit when Drake's Altaria beat Grovyle is two fold. First, Grovyle had a quad disadvantage against Altaria. Second is that Altaria's trainer is probably one of the top five pokemon trainers in the world. Luvdisc is a water pokemon and Grovyle has an advantage against it. At the very least, Grovyle should have put up a decent fight, but Sweet Kiss prevented that. Grovyle basically beat himself with Luvdisc pulling off the finishing blow. To me, it's almost as bad as the way they had Charizard lose to Blaziken. Charizard should have stayed down, not come up ready for battle, roar, and then faint after he stood up the way he did. It was almost as if an external force took away his strength. In a way, that's what happened to Grovyle, but it was Luvdisc who got the powerup, in a way. I wouldn't have minded if it was Bayleef, she never impressed me that much, but Grovyle is a pokemon that has beaten a Gym Leader's Altaria before. Grovyle's proven himself to be stronger than this. This was the classic example of what I call a plot induced outcome. At least have Grovyle go down to the next pokemon or have Ash call him back.

I

Indigo

Edward Elric said:
Funny how no one complains about Genji's Pokémon kicking the living crap out of Juputoru and making it look really bad yet when it comes to a Gym Leader's Pokémon, everyone throws a fit.

Oh come on, Edward. You know the answer to that, and you know it. Drake is a friggin' Elite Four member, of course we're going to think much more highly of him than a Gym leader. It takes the winner of a whole tournament filled with dozens and dozens of talented trainers to even get the chance to pose a threat to a trainer like Drake. Seriously, would you expect Grovyle to match up to a Pokémon trained as well as that Altaria without some really intensive training? Not to mention a lot more battling experience? Saying that in response to my post was absolutely pointless because I know you know the answer to your own gripe. I will always stand on my opinion that the way Grovyle lost was inexcusable, and that's all there is to it.

Really, I don't understand why you would take the time to say that just to contradict me. Sometimes I don't get things that people do...it's ridiculous...*goes off talking to herself.* XP