• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Electivire based team!

Hey everyone! So i made this team to be based around and support one of my all time favorite pokemons, electivire! I'm attempting to go to regionals now on Oct 7 and compete so trying to get my team as ready as i can. Been playing around on battle spot to around 1350-1400 rating around so far but would to improve the team if possible please :D

Electivire @ Groundium Z
Ability: Motor Drive
Level: 50
Nature: Adament
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Atk / 124 Def / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
- Ice Punch
- Protect
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake

Here it is electivire Ev's are to give him some bulk while still allowing him to ohko chomps with ice punch and golducks with wild charge. Groundium Z, while not as powerful as chomps will still get the job done on arcanines/koko's. With it's current speed evs, when at +1 speed i=will allow it to outspeed neutral natured phero and max speed koko's, when at +3 in tailwind, can outspeed max speed scarf chomp. Protect, standard of course.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Electivire's partner in crime! Near max speed timid koko, done so intentionally so that it won't outspeed my aerodactyl when it goes for a sky drop. Discharge will hit everything for good dmg with life orb and at the same time boosting electivires speed. Thunderbolt for when discharge isn't viable and dazzling gleam of course.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 116 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Ice fang/taunt
Enough attack damage to still ohko arcanines with Z move even at -1. Current speed ev's allow it to outspeed almost everything after a dragon dance. Good partner for electivire switch-ins as well. Have ice fang atm, just to have another option for chomps and the like, but i might swap it for taunt should persian see to the door. It's defense ev's let it live a -1 arcanine wild charge and a 28 sp attk porgon2 thunderbolt.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wide Guard
- Tailwind
- Rock Slide
- Sky Drop

As im sure you've noticed, most of my team is around middling speed, or some decently fast, so i have aerodactyl as my tailwind user, especially with unnerve, can counter those snorlaxs well so they can't eat their berries and ko them fast before they become a problem. I have like 2-3 rock/ground weaknesses so wide gaurd seemed like a decent option so counter rock slide/eq spam. And sky drop to help take someone out while my partner kos the other, speed evs allow it to be just faster than my koko so it'll always mvoe first than it. Max attack ev's of course and rock slide for good STAB spam.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk /4 def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Feint

I honestly love scizor, it's one of my favorite mon's out there, so i've tried to fit him in somehow xD I know it's not as great due to it mainly countering like lele and its terrain blocking bullet punches, which is why i tried to work around it but using persians parting shot and such, it's worked out alright but obviously im sure it's not optimal. With CB it hit's hella hard, ohko lele's and mimikyus and hitting everything else decently hard. U-turn for when it's not optimal for him to be out there, X-scissor for a strong stab, and feint so that it can help my partners get a hard Z move or such through.

Persian-Alola @ Mago Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 4 HP / 68 Def / 4 SpA / 204 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Taunt

Really wasn't sure who to use for my 6th member, so i just threw persian in here so i wouldnt take another rock/ground weakness and have some fake out support and some way to work around electivire/koko discharge spam and scizors terrain problem. Defensive Evs let it live a plethora of attacks and survive for a while. Have taunt here, but if persian leaves then taunt will go on either aerodactyl or gyarados.

So that's the team guys, please let me know however it can be improved :D I'm open to replacing scizor even though it would pain me lol, maybe AV scizor can work? Or if not then swap it for metagross maybe. Let me know what you guys think about persian, it's hoenstly just there until i can find something better. Thank you if you've read until now!

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
hey there! It's been a while since i played vgc but ill try to help out with a few things

first of all, since your goal with Tapu Koko is to underspeed your own Aerodactyl, I recommend simply running a Modest nature to increase your damage output. you dont miss out on any notable speed creeps except for Salazzle which i feel your team can handle well. you might want to try out Choice Specs as a damage item to raise your special attack even more, but i realize protect is invaluable in this meta.

im not a fan of running more than one z crystal in a team, so i would recommend running sitrus berry or one of the pinch berries on gyarados to increase your longetivity

scizor doesnt really fit in this team, especially considering how weak you are to Tapu Lele if you can't win the speed and terrain war. I would recommend using Metagross instead, with an Assault Vest to increase your team's defensive backbone.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 36 Def / 92 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

Last edited:
hey there! It's been a while since i played vgc but ill try to help out with a few things

first of all, since your goal with Tapu Koko is to underspeed your own Aerodactyl, I recommend simply running a Modest nature to increase your damage output. you dont miss out on any notable speed creeps except for Salazzle which i feel your team can handle well. you might want to try out Choice Specs as a damage item to raise your special attack even more, but i realize protect is invaluable in this meta.

im not a fan of running more than one z crystal in a team, so i would recommend running sitrus berry or one of the pinch berries on gyarados to increase your longetivity

scizor doesnt really fit in this team, especially considering how weak you are to Tapu Lele if you can't win the speed and terrain war. I would recommend using Metagross instead, with an Assault Vest to increase your team's defensive backbone.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 36 Def / 92 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

-----
Hey! first of all thank you for your input. I just kind of thought if perhaps i couldn't get tailwind up or something, i would still be able to outspeed most mons with timid koko you know? Either way i'm gonna try and see if i can get a modest koko somehow and see how things work out. I'll give specs a try, although like you said, protect especially on a pokemon as frail as koko i feel should always be, but ill give it a shot on BS and see

On gyarados, i can definitely see a stirus berry working out there, especially since the EV's it has already give it some bulk, with a healing berry, it'll be able to hang on awhile longer.

Oh noes scizor! Jk, i love scizor to death but it honestly isn't very useful this meta, especially with some of its core moves such as bug bite not being legal, just one Q though, could you provide details on the ev spread for metagross please, gonna start breeding for an adament meta right now

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 93-109 (49.7 - 58.2%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross in Sun: 158-188 (84.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 82-97 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross in Electric Terrain: 79-95 (42.2 - 50.8%) -- 3.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 69-82 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 133-157 (71.1 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Arcanine Burn Up vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 134-162 (71.6 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Salamence Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 62-74 (33.1 - 39.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
+2 188+ SpA Milotic Scald vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 78-93 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

As you can see it lives a ton of big hits.

I should have a modest koko lying around if you want to save yourself the trouble. just pm me tho

EKZ1505

I'm guessing you took some pieces of Jon Hu's Electivire team? Saves me a step from asking what Electivire's EVs do lol very cool team! I assume the ranking is on Showdown tho btw, not BS?

I 100% agree with using Modest Koko. I use it now (with Aerodactyl too), and I freaking love its power, but I think Life Orb is fine for this team composition. I would not go with Jon's spread though; I think just maxing out speed is better.

Having 2 z crystals is fine, as long as you don't find yourself bringing both Pokemon and typically only using one of the z moves. A 50% pinch berry would be fine on Gyarados though, it just depends on how you play and personally utilize the z moves. How has testing gone with Ice Fang vs Taunt?

How has Persian done in testing for you? I think you could use one more special attacker to balance the team out. If you stick with Metagross (I'm sad too that Scizor is not great this year :( he was a star the last 2 years for me), Tapu Lele (either bulky with a 50% pinch berry or Choice Scarf) is one that comes to mind to boost Metagross's Zen Headbutt and simply provide very strong attacks.

How have you done against Trick Room? That and Tapu Bulu (especially in the popular core with Nihilego, Arcanine, etc) look like big potential problems right now.

Yeah i did! Electivire, next t scizor is one of my fav mons, so i was just kind of looking for some guidance when making the team, i didn't want to make it exactly like his or anything and sort of throw my own sort of spin onto it you know? And yes it is on BS, much easier and faster to get games going, especially since i can play them on my phone at work (don't tell me boss lol)

Yeah i def agree, jons spread is more for the timid koko, but with modest there's no point in doing so, might as well go max speed as you say and just full power it, i'll play around with specs and life orb and see which provides better results, i don't really like giving up protect but we'll see.

i like having the two z crystals because they kind of are directed towards different threats, i mean im gonna test out sitrus berry and see how it works out, i'll probably like that a bit more, but ill see if i feel like i need that hydro vortex or not. Taunt doesn't really see that much use honestly, at least right now, since i've sort of been using taunt on aero more than wide gaurd, and plus persians there too, but like i said persian was kind of just thrown in there before to try and work around scizors lele counter and the electivire/koko duo, which is rather gimmicky and hasn't worked out all that well (the persian thing). I had originally wanted a special attacker before, i realized i had too many physical ones, but was unsure of who to grab, mind you this was all when scizor was in the mix.

Like persians really not useful at all, especially with all the intimidators out there, i feel like i dont really bring it, and when i do its just like there, playing the parting shot role. I feel right now, w/o testing it yet, that the lele idea might be pretty good, especially in conjuction with metagross as you mentioned.

Right now, with the usual 2 taunts on my team, i can stop TR from going up, however when i fail to do so, it does get a bit tough to turn the tables around, and i just have to try and stall it out and play correct mind games. In addition, with the current lack of fire moves on my team and poison, bulu does pose a bit of a threat, arcanine and nihilego are alright, i can fight them, pokemon like bulu are like the mainish concern

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
actually, if you max out Modest Koko's speed, the only notable speedcreep you get is Lycanrock, which is mediocre tbh. If you feel like you dont wanna run the risk, go ahead and use max speed, 30 hp evs dont fo much after all

EKZ1505

I think you mean Showdown? lol Sorry I was really just clarifying, as there's a big difference between the ratings on Battle Spot and Showdown. 1400ish is good on Showdown, but if that's where you were on Battle Spot, I was going to suggest more practice before attending a real tournament, especially since they can be a bit more expensive than in the past. But it sounds like you're doing fairly well :)

I think Jon had a Modest Koko actually, but he added a tiny bit of bulk. I think I added even a little more to mine, and it has not really come in handy, so it's nice to at least speed-tie other Modest Koko, as it has become more common.

For Gyarados, I would highly recommend a 50% pinch berry over Sitrus, unless you're specifically calc-ing for a 3HKO or certain combo of attacks.

Your Persian will actually not be affected by Intimidate (Foul Play uses the target's attack stat), but something in that slot to handle Bulu could be good. Nihilego is one that comes to mind. Your Sash and Life Orb are taken up, but Scarf (so you don't need Tailwind up) or something else could work.

yeah like as you and Roc have mentioned, i'll probably run max speed modest koko just to cover all possible speed options just in case.

Oh alright then, i'll just slap on a mago berry, that should do the trick better than sitrus should.

I really like the idea of lele in that 6th slot, but it leaves me open to bulu attacks, while it's not that common (as far as i've seen), it's still a potential wall. I actually have a modest nihelego but adding it to the team gives me 4 weaknesses to ground moves on my team xD i feel like that's pretty bad lol

So i was thinking, what about posinium Z pheromosa? It's fast, hits hard, and can easily take out bulu's and fini's with ease! It'd be more of a niche mon but it would certainly take care of the job

EKZ1505

So i was thinking, what about posinium Z pheromosa? It's fast, hits hard, and can easily take out bulu's and fini's with ease! It'd be more of a niche mon but it would certainly take care of the job

That's a solid choice and worth testing if you want, but it is another z move. I think Poison Jab by itself does a lot already though (should be an OHKO on Bulu without Intimidate or a Kebia Berry). Tapu Fini shouldn't be too much trouble right now with two electric types and Metagrosss.

AV (really underrated I think) or Scarf Garchomp are two other ideas. It's another Pokemon to spam Discharge next to, and Scarf Chomp is a good partner for Aerodactyl too. Both sets allow for 4 attacks since you can't carry Protect...EQ, Poison Jab for your Bulu problem, and then two of Fire Fang/Flamethrower (for Kartana), Rock Slide (especially on the Scarf set), and Dragon Claw.

That's a solid choice and worth testing if you want, but it is another z move. I think Poison Jab by itself does a lot already though (should be an OHKO on Bulu without Intimidate or a Kebia Berry). Tapu Fini shouldn't be too much trouble right now with two electric types and Metagrosss.

AV (really underrated I think) or Scarf Garchomp are two other ideas. It's another Pokemon to spam Discharge next to, and Scarf Chomp is a good partner for Aerodactyl too. Both sets allow for 4 attacks since you can't carry Protect...EQ, Poison Jab for your Bulu problem, and then two of Fire Fang/Flamethrower (for Kartana), Rock Slide (especially on the Scarf set), and Dragon Claw.

Oh! I actually love the idea of scarf chomp too! much more than phero, i'll still try it out, but i really like the coverage and resistances chomp brings with it, not to mention its not paper xD Great idea man, love the synergy it actually has with my team. Thank you :D