• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Electric Shock Showdown! (014)

Moderately good Gym episode. Pikachu's refusal to evolve was something to watch, as was its rematch with Raichu. TR cheering on Ash was something to see, too bad they barely ever do that anymore. Also, the explanation of no more moves after evolution was quite good.

Overall rating:
7.7 out of 10!!
We've most certainly had better Gym episodes, but we've had worse too. Pikachu was an inspiration here:D.

SC~ out

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario
Murgatroyd said:
Based on those pictures, Sekushii, I can give you an estimated height.
If we assume that Ash is 4' 6" (not an unreasonable height for a ten-year-old), then Surge is just short of eight feet tall, and the people behind him are just over six feet.

That would make Surge one of the tallest people in the world (taller than the current real-world record holder (7' 8.9"), but well short of the all time record (8' 11")). Of course, if we assume Ash is shorter, Surge also loses height proportionally.

Not really a world record for him. The Tallest person I've seen in an anime or game is Faust from the Guilty Gear games (Height: 9' 3"!)

Back on topic. I liked the episode as well. It was a surprise that Ash saw TR though their disguises (unlike the other episodes). overall, it was good

Sebok

Banned
After hearing Raichu's voice, my sister actually thought it was a FEMALE.

It was also obvious TR did the cheer; who else has a talking Meowth?

S

Sekushii

Jonouchi said:
Not really a world record for him. The Tallest person I've seen in an anime or game is Faust from the Guilty Gear games (Height: 9' 3"!)

Back on topic. I liked the episode as well. It was a surprise that Ash saw TR though their disguises (unlike the other episodes). overall, it was good
If Ash were to be 5 ft tall, that would make Surge at least 9 ft or about 10 ft tall then... But there isn't any information about the human characters' heights in Pokemon, so there's no telling how tall someone is. >.<

It's really gross how Faust is only 121 pounds though. That's like skin and bones, literally. o_o

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Old Coot
To answer an earlier question, Machisu couldn't possibly just speak all English since some attack names can't exactly be properly translated and the Japanese won't have any idea what the hell he's talking about. It was better off leaving him known as the Lightning American by having him throw in English words along with Japanese.

For those still wondering, Machisu spoke a LOT of English phrases here and there. He easily topped the first movie's pirate guy because he threw in so many funny sounding Engrish. Oh yeah, this is also the only episode an actual swear occurs. The moment before Raichu blasts the entire ring to get Pikachu, Surge shouts out "God damn!" XD This is one of the few Kanto episodes that I think is more enjoyable in Japanese rather than in both languages.

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
Edward Elric said:
The moment before Raichu blasts the entire ring to get Pikachu, Surge shouts out "God damn!" XD

I sometimes wondered if there was swearing in the Japanese version.
It came from the Lightning American...

Chris

Old Coot
I believe that's the only time there's ever been a swear in the anime. Usually people take some of the words as a bad usage. The most you'll ever get is rarely a "damn." Most of the time, the word "kuso" is used in terms of "darn" or "shoot" rather than "damn."

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
Edward Elric said:
I believe that's the only time there's ever been a swear in the anime. Usually people take some of the words as a bad usage. The most you'll ever get is rarely a "damn." Most of the time, the word "kuso" is used in terms of "darn" or "shoot" rather than "damn."

Does Kuso have any specific meaning? I've heard it plenty of times. My Japanese teacher last year didn't tell me when I asked.

Chris

Old Coot
Japanese words (like English words) tend to have different meanings to them. As I said in my previous post, they can mean range from "shoot" "darn" "damn", that kinda thing.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Literally, kuso refers to excrement. It can be legitimately translated, depending on context, as anything from "feces" to "dung" to "sh¡t", or figuratively as any of a number of expressions of frustration.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Thank you for the lesson on how to swear in Japanese.

Anyway, this had to be one of the greatest gym battles ever. It proves the point that if you can't hit your target, power doesn't mean squat.

M

MayAsh1987

vulpix said:
i can't believe Surge hit on Misty.

I know! I was laughing when he did that!

WHOA! TO ME THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST EPISODE EVER! I love everything in this episode. One of my favorite parts in this episode is when Pikachu begged Ash not to battle at the Pokemon Center, and the Team Rocket Cheer. To me, I think their outfits rocked! Of course the battles, loved the rivalry between Pikachu and Raichu. At one point I remember everything, all the dialogues, the fight in the top of my head. Now I don't since I haven't seen it for a while.

I seen this episode in 3 different languages, English, Spanish, and Japanese. All of them with different sayings. I seen the jap version of this episode and I couldn't stopped laughing of anything what Lt. Surge said. Even though I don't understand japanese I still managed to get the idea, and his english clearly has an accent.

Flygone

Volcano Trainer
Certainly one of my most favourite episodes out there. I really loved it how Pikachu beat Raichu with Agility. I think it showed us very well that power doesn't mean victory. TR had a good role in this episode as well. I just liked the feel of this episode, Ash beating Surge after being mocked by him. It was very intense.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I watched the episode because I had it on tape. Anyway, I noticed that this episode had a soundtrack unique to it. I don't know if it was dubbed in (in which case it's the best job they've done because I liked it and it fit the scenes well) or if it was in the orginal Japanese.

Edward Elric said:
To answer an earlier question, Machisu couldn't possibly just speak all English since some attack names can't exactly be properly translated and the Japanese won't have any idea what the hell he's talking about. It was better off leaving him known as the Lightning American by having him throw in English words along with Japanese.

For those still wondering, Machisu spoke a LOT of English phrases here and there. He easily topped the first movie's pirate guy because he threw in so many funny sounding Engrish. Oh yeah, this is also the only episode an actual swear occurs. The moment before Raichu blasts the entire ring to get Pikachu, Surge shouts out "God damn!" XD This is one of the few Kanto episodes that I think is more enjoyable in Japanese rather than in both languages.

Not too sure but correct me if i'm wrong, when i watched Raikou special, the subtitle had either Buson or Bashou(can't remember who) said bas/tard or damn it. So would that be more than one "episode" that had a curse?

Last edited:

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Indeed - my fansubbed copy of "Beauty and the Beach" is loaded with curses.

"Showtimoru! God Damn! Unberievabuu!" I tell you, Machisu MADE this episode classic. And Pikachu vs. Raichu = best Kanto gym battle ever. Both the original and the rematch. Proof that Satoshi knows his strategy and can certainly put it to good use when the need arises.

On a final note, Musashi and Kojiru's cheer is hilarious, especially their reactions when Kasumi cheerfully refers to them as the Rocket-Dan as they're retreating. They don't write 'em like this anymore.

M

MayAsh1987

I got something to add though I'm 2 months late. I realized how this many things happened in this only episode that never happened elsewhere.

1. Brock not going to crazy over Nurse Joy. The REAL ONE!!! (I might be wrong)
2. Pikachu only time battling Raichu.
3. Surge remains the tallest, only American in this episode.
4. Surge is the only one who swears and says it in English.
5. Team Rocket cheering for Ash.
6. Only time Ash and Pikachu encounters the Thunderstone.
7. Believe or not, to me Lt. Surge was like a villian in this episode since Team Rocket was on Ash's side.
8. Also, Surge is the only gym leader who lost his cool and control. (Meaning here how he orders Raichu to destroy the gym. Temper, Temper. Wonder how he would of done in MTV's show Boiling Point?)
9. Somehow, Raichu and Surge actually got Pikachu convinced to battle.
10. Pikachu disobeys Ash during the first battle.

Well that's all I could come up with. It just makes this episode more amazing. I have few more things add to my response.

Lt. Surge is one of my favorite all time gym leaders. I grew to like him. He has a nice body to add. What I like most of him is his personality. He was funny and mean which made this episode the cream of the crop, plus Raichu. Raichu is my all time favorite Pokemon. Because of Raichu got me liking this episode.

Rating: 10/10, one of best episode I eva seen!