• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Electric Shock Showdown! (014)

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
They clearly said Raichu ran out of electricity. I have no idea if they were referring to PP, but it would make more sense if they were.

Since the first time I watched this episode I like to think it was so.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm fine with Pikachu not evolving because I'm just so used to Pikachu and I wouldn't have the same liking for the Pokemon had it evolved. I really liked Lt. Surge's accent here too (A "Dundashock"!), wherever it may come from.

Team Rocket rooting for Pikachu was also hilarious, in my opinion.

Yea Surge sounded cool I was actually surprised to learn that Maddie voiced him. It caught me off guard cuz I didn't know she could do such a deep voice. ^^

JudySpell

Banned
It wasn't until the scene where Lt. Surge was giving Ash his badge that I realized how freaking tall he (Surge) was. He has to be 11 or 12 feet tall. I'm probably exaggerating.
Really enjoyed Team Rocket's forth wall break at the end of the episode.

He was likely tall because it's a stereotype that foreigners in Japan are taller than Japanese people.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Watching this again, I still can't believe how tall they made Matis look in the anime. He was almost twice as tall as Satoshi. The thing that I'll always remember is how Raichu got ravaged by Pikachu's speed. That and how the Rocket-dan supported Satoshi and Pikachu.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
This is such a classic episode. It was also the one that truly established Pikachu as the show's mascot for life. Him refusing to evolve proved that he is going to stay as he is through the rest of the series.~

ZilverLox

Banned
Moderately good Gym episode. Pikachu's refusal to evolve was something to watch, as was its rematch with Raichu. TR cheering on Ash was something to see, too bad they barely ever do that anymore. Also, the explanation of no more moves after evolution was quite good.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
TR cheering on Ash was something to see, too bad they barely ever do that anymore.

They do, though. Granted, not frequently, but we've seen them side with Ash dozens of times. I don't get why they took Pikachu's side here, though. It seemed forced.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't get why they took Pikachu's side here, though. It seemed forced.

The Rocket-dan felt sympathetic towards Satoshi's Pikachu here because they saw how roughed up he was when Raichu beat him. Since they had been chasing Pikachu for weeks/months, they had gotten attached to him, as odd as it may sound.

Bananarama

The light is coming
The Rocket-dan felt sympathetic towards Satoshi's Pikachu here because they saw how roughed up he was when Raichu beat him. Since they had been chasing Pikachu for weeks/months, they had gotten attached to him, as odd as it may sound.

I think this is pretty much why they ended up not wanting to steal Raichu and sticking with Pikachu. At first I was confused about that, but it sort of makes sense now.

Decent, but disappointed that Pikachu didn't evolve because maybe the writers didn't want Pikachu to evolve that early and make him seem overpowered.

I think the decision was made because they had decided to make Pikachu the show's mascot, so evolving him would've been a bad idea.

Alloutℯ

Banned
This was Ash's coolest Kanto Gym battle I felt. TRio cheering for Pikachu's victory made me happy, but funny how Ash's Dex mentioned a Dragonite right after Ash saw one a few episodes before.

When Ash first lost to Surge I was hoping we'd see a training montage for the re-match like when Ash lost to Brock. Ash and Pikachu winning with no training feels like bad writing.

gentwoer

When Ash first lost to Surge I was hoping we'd see a training montage for the re-match like when Ash lost to Brock. Ash and Pikachu winning with no training feels like bad writing.

Ash cheating by essentially juicing up his Pikachu vs Ash winning with actual STRATEGY something he pretty much never did in the Kanto saga? I know which one I far prefer.

What would a training montage even accomplish? The point was Ash and Pikachu took advantage in Surge's flawed ideology of evolving his Pikachu into Raichu immediately (nevermind that Raichu can't learn any new attacks in the games but the anime implies that it only gives up ever learning speed based attacks but can only learn all the electric attacks as Raichu but ehhhh)

It was the furthest thing from bad writing as far as early Kanto goes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was actually glad that Satoshi didn't need to do any special training to overcome Matis and his Raichu. All he needed to do was have Pikachu polish his speed attacks, which probably didn't require that much effort since Pikachu was already quick on his feet.