• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Electric Soldier Porygon! (038)

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I haven't seen this episode, but I have seen the infamous scene. I understand why the animators used so many flashing lights; it was a cheap, yet intense, effect. Unfortunately, it was a bit too intense. :(

megamuncher

Shotgun Rivalry
Shame really, it's a great episode. Also lead to the entire Porygon evolution line never appearing in the anime again, even though it was Pikachu that caused the explosion.

Porygon should had never been taken out of the anime, it should had been brought back since Pikachu was the blame for the intense light effect.

NPT

Just a member
Just watched this (in)famous and historical episode a while ago and I thought this episode's plot was pretty good. The whole concept of Porygon and digital world was quite unique....however the scene where pikachu destroyed those missiles with thunderbolt was way too flashy, which gave many people seizures and this episode got banned worldwide! Not just the missile scene,there were plenty of other scenes where the bright flashes were used and they were almost as intense as the missile scene. I have to admit.... Watching the scenes with those red and blue flashes and bright lights gave me headache. This episode caused Porygon and Porygon2 to get banned from the anime, which is sad.

Last edited:

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Just watched this (in)famous and historical episode a while ago and I thought this episode's plot was pretty good. The whole concept of Porygon and digital world was quite unique....however the scene where pikachu destroyed those missiles with thunderbolt was way too flashy, which gave many people seizures and this episode got banned worldwide! Not just the missile scene,there were penlty of other scenes where the bright flashes were used and they were almost as intense as the missile scene .I have to admit.... Watching the scenes with those red and blue flashes and bright lights gave me headache. This episode caused Porygon and Porygon2 to get banned from the anime, which is sad.

Don't forget about Porygon Z. It was a poor choice of scenes unfortunately... Oh well, at least the anime is still going on.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I watched this episode again and I noticed things that I hadn't noticed before, like the sheer amount of red/blue flashes that occurred throughout this episode; I mean I knew that the scene where Pikachu attacked the vaccine near the end of the episode was the main source of all the seizures and what not, but there were so many times before that point where similar flashes of color were shown and my eyes actually hurt the first time it happened. The episode was great though, especially since the main enemy was the vaccine that Nurse Joy had requested. And I realized something else that I had missed before; Team Rocket were only keeping Poke Balls that contained rare Pokemon. At first I thought they were keeping them all, until I noticed that Ninetales got switched with Magikarp meaning that Team Rocket was being selective about which Pokemon they stole. Kind of interesting.

NPT

Just a member
Don't forget about Porygon Z. It was a poor choice of scenes unfortunately... Oh well, at least the anime is still going on.

Yeah, Porygon Z got banned from the anime too.

And yes, they were a poor choice of scenes. The scenes with bright red and blue flashes were animated using an animation process "Paka Paka", which made the scenes extremely intense......so intense that it gave many people seizures. Maybe that's why the lights were dimed down wheneven Pikachu used Thundershock/Thunderbolt in the other episodes.

Rylis7

Rylis7: I haven't seen this one but I did read the synopsis of it here on Serebii. Wish there was a way for them to change the episode so that it could be aired here in the US. Just curious, anyone ever have a Porygon (or either of its evolutions) on their battle team? I've thought about it, but haven't done it yet.

jason0597

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the incident lead to every anime having that message in the start "Watch your anime in a brightly lit room and stand back from the TV screen" Or something? Or maybe it was just pocket monsters, I don't remember. Still, it left a scar pokemon fans, the animators and the anime industry will never forget. Also, there is a news report from japan on youtube. Pokemon shokku. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIZ9U077vK8
*EDIT* I found some a raw of the episode, but the ending has a few minutes of a woman talking about the incident? and also showing fan arts about asking not to end the show, showing the red and blue panels and also saying to stand back from the screen while watching anime. Interesting.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This was a bizarre episode, but it was also hilarious. The episode was way too bright and flashy though. I can see why its banned, those flashy scenes were way too bright and tense.
5/10

Bananarama

The light is coming
I kind of resent this episode for hurting the Porygon line's chances of ever returning to the anime. Porygon would've made the anime episodes it was featured in a lot more interesting.

That said, I still think this episode should've aired internationally, just as an edited version.

Red and Blue

Seems a bit unfair that Porygon and its evolutions had to be punished for something that wasn`t its fault. It didn`t cause the seizures the colors did :/

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Seems a bit unfair that Porygon and its evolutions had to be punished for something that wasn`t its fault. It didn`t cause the seizures the colors did :/

Technically, Pikachu fired lightning and the flashing lights then the seizures happened.

Red and Blue

Technically, Pikachu fired lightning and the flashing lights then the seizures happened.

Even so, the point is that Porygon itself wasnt the cause of the seizures. That's something the company should have understood.

Last edited:

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
This was a great episode and it's disappointing it never aired in English. However, even in Japanese is an intense and interesting episode. Probably one of the more, personally, memorable episodes.

ShadowForce720

Even so, the point is that Porygon itself was the cause of the seizures. That's something the company should have understood.

No, actually the only thing that Porygon had to do with the seizures was that it happened in it's debut episode, however if you look at it Pikachu was the one that caused the flashing lights, not Porygon, however since Pikachu is the mascot they couldn't banned it so they decided to ban the Porygon line just because it happened to debut in that episode even though when you actually look at the episode Porygon didn't cause any of the flashing lights it was all Pikachu.

Also I have to wonder they didn't bother to look over this episode and make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it because if you look at it, it should have been brought to their attention that having different color flashing lights flashing that fast wouldn't be such a good idea, I mean did they not understand that flashing lights could do that, because if they did then I can't imagine why the episode would be allowed to air with the light flashing that fast.

Also I'm pretty sure it would be possible to come up with a plot for a Porygon, Porygon 2, and Porygon Z episode without flashling lights, I mean it's sort of ridiculous for the Porygon line to get banned for something it didn't even do.

I mean if you actually watch the episode you would see that Porygon itself wasn't responsible. I mean lets look at this did it launch the missile? no, did it destroy the missile causing the flashing lights to occur? no, Pikachu was the one that destroyed the missile and caused the flashing lights, but if we look because it's the mascot Pikachu gets a free pass while Porygon got banned just because it was debuting in that episode, so I don't see how the Porygon line is at fault here.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

No, actually the only thing that Porygon had to do with the seizures was that it happened in it's debut episode, however if you look at it Pikachu was the one that caused the flashing lights, not Porygon, however since Pikachu is the mascot they couldn't banned it so they decided to ban the Porygon line just because it happened to debut in that episode even though when you actually look at the episode Porygon didn't cause any of the flashing lights it was all Pikachu.

Also I have to wonder they didn't bother to look over this episode and make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it because if you look at it, it should have been brought to their attention that having different color flashing lights flashing that fast wouldn't be such a good idea, I mean did they not understand that flashing lights could do that, because if they did then I can't imagine why the episode would be allowed to air with the light flashing that fast.

Also I'm pretty sure it would be possible to come up with a plot for a Porygon, Porygon 2, and Porygon Z episode without flashling lights, I mean it's sort of ridiculous for the Porygon line to get banned for something it didn't even do.

I mean if you actually watch the episode you would see that Porygon itself wasn't responsible. I mean lets look at this did it launch the missile? no, did it destroy the missile causing the flashing lights to occur? no, Pikachu was the one that destroyed the missile and caused the flashing lights, but if we look because it's the mascot Pikachu gets a free pass while Porygon got banned just because it was debuting in that episode, so I don't see how the Porygon line is at fault here.

Yeah I know. I meant to say "wasn't responsible" not was :p. I just realized my mistake and fixed it.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked this episode cuz of the cyber space stuff that happened. Porygon was interesting and it's such a shame that it got the blame for the seizure incident even tho Pikachu's attack was what caused the flashing colours.